The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod and League of Legends

By on August 26, 2009 3:24:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well i know this has been brought up and I know that you might have heard it before but I just got accepted to beta test this game (LoL) and well all that stuff about LoL being the Demigod killer is well.... crap.  Its a remake so far from what I can tell of DoTA but with a little better graphics and a few different ideas thrown in.  Demigod is on a whole different level and is such a different game that you really cant compare the 2.  So for all the people out who would like to try to compare they are as has been said very very different games and each im sure will have a great fan base.

Also if you want to flame me for even bringing this up so be it but these games are different and cant ever be compared.

0 Karma | 90 Replies
August 26, 2009 9:53:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hardly, a free game's (HoN) attraction to people compared to a retail release (Demigod) cannot be understated. If it's free, why wouldn't you play it for a while?
Look at Demigod's own release, 100,000 pirates compared to 10,000 legit customers. Clearly, it's not irrelevant.

August 26, 2009 10:27:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,
Hardly, a free game's (HoN) attraction to people compared to a retail release (Demigod) cannot be understated. If it's free, why wouldn't you play it for a while?
Look at Demigod's own release, 100,000 pirates compared to 10,000 legit customers. Clearly, it's not irrelevant.

Is the demigod demo not free?

Do the players logged into the dg demo not show up on the server stats?

What excuse will you use when HoN goes paid and has more players on day 1 than dg currently?

Ps In order for HoN / LoL to kill demigod demigod will first have to be alive and prospering.

August 26, 2009 10:41:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

its amazing though when you consider WoW has 11 million+ gamers playing (active subscriptions).

thats a lot of $$$.

they are really owning the gaming market at the moment.

makes these games seem rather small in comparison.

August 26, 2009 11:39:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ghurka,
Is the demigod demo not free?

Well if it wasn't I doubt people would play it to try out Demigod. Kind of a silly question, really.

Quoting ghurka,
Do the players logged into the dg demo not show up on the server stats?

Certainly do, in fact I believe Spooky was kind enough to even mark the release date of the Demo on his graph representation of the progression of player numbers, which showed an increase in the player population before it began to decline as per the trend.

Quoting ghurka,
What excuse will you use when HoN goes paid and has more players on day 1 than dg currently?

Excuse for what?

Quoting ghurka,
Ps In order for HoN / LoL to kill demigod demigod will first have to be alive and prospering.

For any game to kill another, it has to be competing for the exact same position - being as the games industry isn't Highlander, there can be more than one.

August 26, 2009 11:59:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

These games will kill Demigod about as much as GPG killed it, that is to say, completely.

August 27, 2009 12:38:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ItchyDustbin,
These games will kill Demigod about as much as GPG killed it, that is to say, completely.

Do you have anything constructive to say? Why do you feel the need to crap on every thread you comment in with "Demigod's dead".

August 27, 2009 1:10:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Do you have anything constructive to say? Why do you feel the need to crap on every thread you comment in with "Demigod's dead".

Why do you feel the need to rant on like a little child when someone says something you dont agree with?

August 27, 2009 1:16:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,
Why do you feel the need to crap on every thread you comment in with "Demigod's dead".
Trolls get bored easily.

Anyways, I've seen games that were hyped up to be the "killer" of other games. It rarely, if ever, happens, and they end up coexisting. If Demigod dies it will not be because of LoL, HoN, or any other DotA clone.

It will be due to its own shortcomings.

August 27, 2009 2:12:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Played all 3.  I like Demigod and HoN the most.  I wish Demigod has as many online players as HoN.  It's why I stop playing Demigod because there is so few ppl.  getting a game going takes alot of time in Demigod and it might not be balanced.

Lots of ppl in HoN so games start quickly, autobalance works sometimes which is better than nothing. 

LoL is ok, just not my favorite.  I can see that it can be newbie friendlier than HoN and it's free.

August 27, 2009 3:23:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

HoN had 18.000+ people online last night and 300+ lobbies.  Judging by people in games and in chat, 10-30% have already preordered, which makes the active paying population already bigger than Demigod (preorder has been active only around 10 days).  Also don't forget that all those games run on their servers, which by the way enabled them to make maphacking impossible in a recent patch.  This is a huge incentive for many people to buy.

LoL unfortunately doesn't work properly for me - I have huge constant lag, it's like watching a slide show.  Heroes rubber-band constantly and creep locations seem to get updated only once every couple of seconds.  Maybe it's just the EU beta, but it's complete trash from this viewpoint.

If I had to rate the 3 games:

#1 HoN - it's incredible how well it's made and supported for an indie studio.  You almost wish they had the funding of a big studio only to see what they are capable of.  Fantastic lobby, great multiplayer coding and very communicative devs.  Rehash of an old game, but as someone who hasent touched dota for ages, there is tons of new and interesting stuff in it for me.  And their servers are abso-fucken-lutely awesome.  60-70ms to EU ones (don't forget all games run on their servers).  (p.s. check out Savage 2 from the same devs, it's a very interesting concept and a hell of a fun mp game).

#2 Demigod - first class design and art, so much potential.  I love the game look and play (which is by far more casual compared to HoN).  But then they threw it to the dogs.  I simply can't beleive that something that obviously had lots of work and attention put into it, get's treated so badly.  I'd love to play it, but all the problems just leave a bad taste in mouth.

#3 LoL - getting bonuses by money/time spent into game is the worst possible thing that can happen to a game, especially to a what is basicaly a strategy one.  And this form of micropayment is the basis of the financial model of LoL.   Runes and Hero access for cash/time, Hero level and skill tree for time spent, complete crap.  Additionaly it didn't work properly and the art is way too cartoony.  Doubt I will give it a second chance.

August 27, 2009 3:58:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Misfortune,
HoN had 18.000+ people online last night and 300+ lobbies.  Judging by people in games and in chat, 10-30% have already preordered, which makes the active paying population already bigger than Demigod (preorder has been active only around 10 days).  Also don't forget that all those games run on their servers, which by the way enabled them to make maphacking impossible in a recent patch.  This is a huge incentive for many people to buy.

LoL unfortunately doesn't work properly for me - I have huge constant lag, it's like watching a slide show.  Heroes rubber-band constantly and creep locations seem to get updated only once every couple of seconds.  Maybe it's just the EU beta, but it's complete trash from this viewpoint.

If I had to rate the 3 games:

#1 HoN - it's incredible how well it's made and supported for an indie studio.  You almost wish they had the funding of a big studio only to see what they are capable of.  Fantastic lobby, great multiplayer coding and very communicative devs.  Rehash of an old game, but as someone who hasent touched dota for ages, there is tons of new and interesting stuff in it for me.  And their servers are abso-fucken-lutely awesome.  60-70ms to EU ones (don't forget all games run on their servers).  (p.s. check out Savage 2 from the same devs, it's a very interesting concept and a hell of a fun mp game).

#2 Demigod - first class design and art, so much potential.  I love the game look and play (which is by far more casual compared to HoN).  But then they threw it to the dogs.  I simply can't beleive that something that obviously had lots of work and attention put into it, get's treated so badly.  I'd love to play it, but all the problems just leave a bad taste in mouth.

#3 LoL - getting bonuses by money/time spent into game is the worst possible thing that can happen to a game, especially to a what is basicaly a strategy one.  And this form of micropayment is the basis of the financial model of LoL.   Runes and Hero access for cash/time, Hero level and skill tree for time spent, complete crap.  Additionaly it didn't work properly and the art is way too cartoony.  Doubt I will give it a second chance.

these are my thoughts/problems exactly.

August 27, 2009 4:12:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes I'm a huge troll I've never contributed anything to the forums, not even when I was young and full of hope for the game, I've never even played the game, I have no idea what I'm talking about. So of course I'm not entitled to an opinion, like the opinion that GPG ran this game into the ground with their bad and slow support.

August 27, 2009 4:26:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ItchyDustbin,
Yes I'm a huge troll I've never contributed anything to the forums, not even when I was young and full of hope for the game, I've never even played the game, I have no idea what I'm talking about. So of course I'm not entitled to an opinion, like the opinion that GPG ran this game into the ground with their bad and slow support.

And why are you still here then?

About the slow support. Acctually things like this, takes time. It is not just something Stardocks says to protect the game. After you have made a fix you need to test the fix etc etc. IMO they have been rather quick.However it is still in my opinion that they should have fixed most of the problems before they released the game. That is where the problem lies I think. They should have had released a game that is as stable as it is today. And after that begun fixing it even more. If they would have done that I think Demigod's future would have looked much brighter than it looks today.

August 27, 2009 5:02:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Esuzu,

And why are you still here then?

My powers of sarcasm! You are immune to them!

August 27, 2009 5:45:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Esuzu,
About the slow support. Acctually things like this, takes time. It is not just something Stardocks says to protect the game. After you have made a fix you need to test the fix etc etc. IMO they have been rather quick.However it is still in my opinion that they should have fixed most of the problems before they released the game. That is where the problem lies I think. They should have had released a game that is as stable as it is today. And after that begun fixing it even more. If they would have done that I think Demigod's future would have looked much brighter than it looks today.

That horse has not only been beaten and dead, but also eaten by worms and completely decayed by now.  First few weeks things take time to fix.  After couple of months they already start to stink.  After 6 months - well I guess you just stop caring.  Pitty...

August 27, 2009 6:17:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Misfortune,

Quoting Esuzu, reply 38About the slow support. Acctually things like this, takes time. It is not just something Stardocks says to protect the game. After you have made a fix you need to test the fix etc etc. IMO they have been rather quick.However it is still in my opinion that they should have fixed most of the problems before they released the game. That is where the problem lies I think. They should have had released a game that is as stable as it is today. And after that begun fixing it even more. If they would have done that I think Demigod's future would have looked much brighter than it looks today.
That horse has not only been beaten and dead, but also eaten by worms and completely decayed by now.  First few weeks things take time to fix.  After couple of months they already start to stink.  After 6 months - well I guess you just stop caring.  Pitty...

As I said, those problems should not have been there from the beginning at all, there should have been testing etc. Nothing we can do now. Probably the game wasn't ready (acctually ready) for release untill patch 1.1 or something.

August 27, 2009 6:46:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No, what really shows the problems is that there are game bugs that have been reported more than 6 months ago, that require simple Lua changes, that have not been fixed yet.  At the rate of 1 bug fixed/month I guess it'll take about 1+ year to fix the remaining well known bugs (2 months for the Fire TB move-attack cause it's more than just Lua fix), after which time we can start discussing balance.

But really, there is no point in discussing these problems in this thread.  Use one of the hundreds other threads, with detailed information on all the problems. Let the horse R.I.P. here...

September 3, 2009 9:28:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Im playing HoN now instead of demigod, mainly because I see a future in that game. Whereas demigod will recieve no new maps (too expensive to make), only 2 demigods if the userbase are not to pay for more demigods.

I enjoy demigod alot, but it needs alot of more heroes and maps in the coming months. Ive grown tired of cataract 3v3 matches because 5v5 always is riddled with problems like lags or disconnects.

The HoN team are adding heroes all the time and will continue to do so after release and maps at a steady pace.

Now both games are great. I dont prefer either one regarding gameplay only

September 3, 2009 10:30:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well I tried both HoN and LoL.

HoN was really information overload, and these MOBA games really seem to just assume you know everything. I guess this is just a problem that beta has, as they can always layer the information, or explain it better in the Final. HoN really felt like they were trying to cater for a hardcore crowd that were simply expecting more DOTA. This vast amount of information and options really kinda scared me, and then getting used to the game is a nightmare, as there's no AI in the beta which just simply held me back from enjoying it and being able to get into it.

I found LoL to be a bit more accessible, but at the same time, the interface really didn't have the polish of Demigod. One thing I absolutely love about Demigod is how well rounded the pregame GUI is. Sure, the pregame GUI in LoL certainly provides more information and tools as required by the game, but Demigod just feels so clean and smooth. Once again, could be a beta issue, but I hope the strange Adobe Flash AIR menu system-to-game seam is well, more seamless in the Final. As for the gameplay, I had a lot of fun in LoL, especially thanks to them already having pretty fun champion AI I thought. Shame they don't have more than 1 map so I can feel other gameplay situations.

One thing I love about Demigod in comparison to both, is it really has less of an emphasis on the splitting of the map into Lanes. Even if it's just cosmetic, it really feels more like a battles between gods, rather than a big spreadsheet with a pretty wrapper. Atmosphere counts for a lot and Demigod has an insane amount. I'm sure HoN and LoL will get better and could be a million times better by Final version, but going on pure gameplay so far, Demigod is what I want to play

September 3, 2009 11:17:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My interest in HoN has been piqued, whens it out?

September 3, 2009 11:30:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

HoN is still in closed beta and no release date has been announced, but they have begun taking preorders in the beta so hopefully in a few months.

I am not disputing the atmosphere in demigod, its a fun game. But it will wither slowly, GPG is moving on to other games as is stardock. Frogboy has himself said they wont do any more new maps because they are too expensive to produce and the Heroes themselves are expensive as well (or have I misinterpreted his journal?) . It is sad but it all comes down to the money.

I will be playing demigod now and again, casually. But playing the same map and 10 heroes over and over is only so much fun.

I was surprised too see how well HoN works in closed beta though, never been disconnected, no lobby problems, no lag, no move-attack bugs. It seems finished already, theyre just adding more stuff too it I guess. BUT it is very similar to DOTA with flashier graphics, whereas demigod is alot more original, and I love flagcapping and so on.

I think HoN and LoL will be HUGE games, and as such alot of new games in this genre are gonna come along that are alot better than all of the old ones. F YEAH

Rant over...

September 3, 2009 2:33:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It seems like we'll always be with the desire of Demigod gameplay, but forced to be satisfied with these DoTa remakes.

September 3, 2009 4:34:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Darktronik,
It seems like we'll always be with the desire of Demigod gameplay, but forced to be satisfied with these DoTa remakes.

QFT.

September 3, 2009 5:22:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I do HON now, demigod is hella broken for me.  but I wont refund for a few reasons even though I do feel the overall implementation of demigod was terrible. 

1.  no DRM crap

2.  innovative concept not a copy paste of dota like hon & lol

3.  it was 40$

4.  hopefully this will be a learning experience & support sup com 2

I flirted with the idea of getting elemental but now that impulse hates me I wont even dare to set foot in that area.

September 3, 2009 7:37:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How is Demigod "hella broken" for you?

How does Impulse not work for you?

Have you contacted [email protected] ?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.