The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

What happened to the sneak previews category?

By on August 24, 2009 6:38:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Where did the Sneak Previews category go, and when did it get replaced with Off Topic?  Who are these people posting in Off Topic?  Who moved my cheese??!!

+704 Karma | 28 Replies
August 24, 2009 6:42:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Who moved my cheese??!!

Methinks I smelleth a rat.

August 24, 2009 6:44:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Home > General Discussion > Sneak Previews (using the arrows to get there)

August 24, 2009 7:01:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Lantec,
Home > General Discussion > Sneak Previews (using the arrows to get there)

I didn't even know that was possible!  Drop down arrows...that's amazing!  I'm used to hitting the Forum tab, then just looking down the list, and sneak previews isn't there anymore.

Thanks, Lantec!

....I'm still puzzled at that "Off Topic" category and who all those posters are that I've never seen here at WinCustomize before.

August 24, 2009 7:02:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

But who are these people?

August 24, 2009 7:41:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

They're gamers mostly.....another one of the cross-posted sections.

August 24, 2009 7:48:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

They're gamers mostly

and longtalkers

August 24, 2009 8:55:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Lantec,
They're gamers mostly.....another one of the cross-posted sections.

Is that a permanent thing? 

I don't want to sound like a....an uppidy, intolerant, old woman, but they don't exactly seem to be on the same wave length as those of us in the WinCustomize community -- we have this sense of "community" you know, and for me at least, it feels like I had this wonderful adult-only community I was living in, and then somebody changed the rules and let the kids in, causing "community cohesion" to be disrupted. 

I'm not saying we're better than they are or anything, just that it's a really weird mix, and it's disappointing--kind of making it frustrating to visit the forums.

August 25, 2009 2:17:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Bah humbug!

You mean you want to stop me having fun at their expense?

Off Topic is across all sites but only reached the backwater of WC recently. This site has wanted somewhere you can talk about anything (or even skinning) and reach a wider audience.

Think about it: a whole new load of folks can now hear about skinning. Is that a bad thing?

August 25, 2009 2:35:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Fuzzy Logic,

Think about it: a whole new load of folks can now hear about skinning. Is that a bad thing?

That's just it, Fuzzy...they don't seem to be the type to pay attention to anything except what they've predetermined to pay attention to.  They're sticking to their own stuff, and we're for the most part sticking to our own stuff, and that means their category is simply cluttering up our forum.  

This is not why I have a WinCustomize subscription.  Part of the benefits of having a subscription is to lose the ads -- things that clutter up the forum.  JMO, of course, but cross posted sections are every bit as annoying as ads.

In general, the nature of most skinners is the type of people who enjoy their desktops and websites well-organized and uncluttered.  That's why we have docks and fences, and all the rest of our goodies to keep our things looking the way we like them.  I don't like it when somebody dumps a bunch of unrelated gaming stuff onto my well organized skinning stuff.  It's messy.

Now that I've had my say, I'll keep the rest of my opinions about it to myself before I get myself in deeper trouble. 

August 25, 2009 6:23:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

they don't seem to be the type to pay attention to anything except what they've predetermined to pay attention to.

they probably say that about us, whatcha think?

September 6, 2009 7:47:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

they probably say that about us, whatcha think?

some of them called m-m-me a t-t-t-tr-troll....

September 6, 2009 8:02:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

But... you are...

September 6, 2009 8:08:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

D h! 

September 6, 2009 8:11:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Fuzzy Logic,

But... you are...

No!  Bichur isn't A troll...he's OUR troll!  We get defensive about people calling OUR troll, A troll...as if he's just some common troll or something.

September 6, 2009 8:15:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting k10w3,
Quoting Lantec, reply 5They're gamers mostly.....another one of the cross-posted sections.

Is that a permanent thing? 

I don't want to sound like a....an uppidy, intolerant, old woman, but they don't exactly seem to be on the same wave length as those of us in the WinCustomize community -- we have this sense of "community" you know, and for me at least, it feels like I had this wonderful adult-only community I was living in, and then somebody changed the rules and let the kids in, causing "community cohesion" to be disrupted. 

I'm not saying we're better than they are or anything, just that it's a really weird mix, and it's disappointing--kind of making it frustrating to visit the forums.

hear hear!

Quoting k10w3,
Quoting Fuzzy Logic, reply 12
But... you are...

No!  Bichur isn't A troll...he's OUR troll!  We get defensive about people calling OUR troll, A troll...as if he's just some common troll or something.

Absolutely.

He's a rather uncommon Troll. He's THE Troll. And a rather bright one.

September 6, 2009 8:15:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I, Troll.

Not itroll.

September 6, 2009 8:30:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

i dont like the off topic section either....talk about creepy ..... i reckon they will take over our forum..i see it happening now, small leaks..and eventually overiding all our threads..........god I HOPE NOT THOUGH.

September 6, 2009 8:47:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

reply # 75  link..   read his take on it...

I've been avoiding bumping our WC games posts...'cause combined with theirs...just about obliterates our serious posts....

maybe thats the wrong tactic....maybe us creating more threads....would lessen the Off Topic influx....

September 6, 2009 9:01:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I read his take on it, and I disagree.  I think (of course, it's just me), the WC forum was in no way "dying" before OTF was added.  There was order, cohesion, we had our fun and we had our seriousness.  Horeover, we knew WHO we were posting to, where they were coming from and whether they would take what we were saying in the right tone or not.  It's very hard to be genuine, open and honest with a mob of strangers (I do it because I can't keep my mouth shut to save my life, but it's distressing to see some of the responses).

My biggest worry about the way things are now, is that it takes longer to get legitimate skinning posts answered.  My skinning hours are stolen time for me, anyway--having to wait until someone sees my question or bumping it myself when I could have a quick answer and get back to being productive would be ideal for me, and that's how it USED to be.  I really wouldn't mind the OTF if there were a search feature for the forums so I could just leave that out of my own personal view of "Recent Forum Activity."

September 6, 2009 9:20:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

we could always just post EVERYTHING in Off Topic....  

September 6, 2009 9:23:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The introduction of the off-topic category has stopped me visiting the forums as much as I used to.

I would think that if Stardock was going to force this on us they could at least give us the ability to ignore the category.

September 6, 2009 9:45:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I would think that if Stardock was going to force this on us they could at least give us the ability to ignore the category.
  Yes! That is a feature I would love to have!

September 6, 2009 9:48:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ditto!!

September 6, 2009 9:50:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The introduction of the off-topic category has stopped me visiting the forums as much as I used to.

yeah...it's a really noticeable drop off....

September 6, 2009 10:44:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I just noticed...its gone!  Thank you Stardock!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000313   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.