The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Of possible interest

Our government at work.

By on August 20, 2009 10:17:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize ForumsExternal Link

I got this in an e-mail and thought it should be seen here. Make of it what you wish.

+1531 Karma | 174 Replies
August 20, 2009 10:31:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

More folks should watch Beck, this administration is really going way too far in a lot of different ways.

August 20, 2009 10:37:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I will admit that you can find thing on these programs that will surprise and startle you, not to be confused with actuall news reporting.

August 20, 2009 10:50:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Philly0381,
I will admit that you can find thing on these programs that will surprise and startle you, not to be confused with actuall news reporting.

So you are saying this isn't true?

Anyone here care to go to the site mentioned and see for yourself? I think I'll pass.

August 20, 2009 10:59:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

August 20, 2009 11:08:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

God I hate Fox News. Don't worry. I hate MSNBC too. News networks that have to give startling enough points to bring in ratings so they can make money off of ads. If you siphon through all of the news networks you can figure out the facts, but I prefer to use this thing called a newspaper.

August 20, 2009 11:25:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

Quoting Philly0381,
reply 2

So you are saying this isn't true?

Anyone here care to go to the site mentioned and see for yourself? I think I'll pass.

Wizard, never said that. 

I too wasn't willing to go to the Government site to fine out.

I was just making a comment that all these style of programs are hosted by folks that do indeed have an agenda, no matter what side they come from.  My personal opinion, they should never be confused with News reporting.  Do I watch them, I catch parts of a lot of them, some of the more entertaining stuff out there.  I don't like reality programs.

Do I know whether or not what was said was true, no I don't, but I have my opinion.

August 20, 2009 11:28:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Its not all about ratings my friend and if your newspaper isn't bringing you these 'facts' perhaps you should rethink where your getting your information.

its FACT... its right there on the govt. website.. no one is making it up.

these style of programs are hosted by folks that do indeed have an agenda

Everyone in every sector of life has an agenda, no excuse not to take notice of what is in plain sight. Glenn Beck goes to great lengths to look out for 'the people' I firmly believe that.

Watch his show for a week, you may change your opinion.

August 20, 2009 12:19:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Watch his show for a week, you may change your opinion.

You want me to watch it for a whole week!  I would probably start pulling my hair out and want to go postal on everyone.  Just joking. 

I attempt to watch his program and most of the others because every once in a while some meaningfull information or content shows up.  At my age, old,  I'm really not interested in hearing 'the sides' attack each other.  It's about time the people realize that we are all affected by the problems at hand, act as one, lets call it being Americans, fix what needs fixing and move on. 

Basically, what I'm saying is that we have all, in some way screwed up things, either by our action or non-action.  Lets face it, us Humans have spendt alot of time and effort getting to a place that no one likes. 

Think about it.

EDIT:  I apoligize for taking this thread off subject

August 20, 2009 12:42:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Okay Maxpower179 clicked on your link and what I gathered from it that is this sistuation would happen to those who visited the site, which I also gather would have been the car dealerships.  I never knew about the site until Beck's program. 

Had the site been posted somewhere that people who were wanting to use thier old car on a trade in would have seen it and went to it?  I know cash for clunkers has been in TV ads for new cars but have not seen the site mentioned. 

I'm just wondering how this affected more than the car dealerships, not saying it was right for the Gov to take over a computer.

August 20, 2009 1:05:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Or how about a government encroaching on the rights of the individual with a program of pervasive goverment surveilance and control. Hmm.....which is more of a concern.

O, wait. That's right. Cheney's not Vice-President anymore.

August 20, 2009 1:10:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
August 20, 2009 1:53:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

ROFLMAO!  Those of you who are shocked at the (alleged) Obama administrations over-reaching powers to take information off your computer with cash for clunkers, are the same group of individuals who weren't at ALL shocked, and were completely willing to turn over your privacy rights when George Bush (SECRETLY!!) instructed the NSA to perform data mining on domestic telephone records!  

Agenda?  HECK YEAH, there's an agenda!  I'm going to say it again - as long as those in power can keep us bickering back and forth on (supposed) opposites party sides about stuff that will never touch our lives personally, WE will remain powerless while the power overlords continue to reign and laugh at how easily we're duped!

Glen Beck might as well be wearing a jester hat and juggling ping pong balls, because he's SIMPLE ENTERTAINMENT, for those whose minds like the sort of entertainment he's providing.  It sure the heck ISN'T NEWS, and it is extremely lucrative for Blech--I mean Beck.

I prefer to get my thinly-disguised entertainment veiled as news from a less-thinly disguised source, due to the fact that the laughs are more genuine.

August 20, 2009 2:39:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

No healthcare system is worth a damn, anywhere, but this country is most assuredly one of the best.

It can be the best and not be .. that great... we do need healthcare reform, as does everyone else just not in the manner the Obama doctrine is prescribing it.

As far as privacy intrusion, the Bush admin. might have stepped over a few lines, I agree, but nothing.. NOTHING compared to what the liberal left (who is runnning this country now) wants to do.

Open your eyes folks.

Beck has forgotten more about the constitution than Stewart will ever know.

August 20, 2009 3:24:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting vStyler,

It can be the best and not be .. that great... we do need healthcare reform, as does everyone else just not in the manner the Obama doctrine is prescribing it.

Where can this "doctrine" be found, John?  Have you read it?  Do you KNOW, 100%, for sure, what the "doctrine" is?  Because I don't even think OBAMA knows what "the doctrine" is, OK?  I don't believe there is a plan developed yet -- I think there are a bunch of ideas and he's using these town halls as a sounding board to find out what the people want, but he doesn't have a cohesive plan yet -- so all this fear mongering and scare tactics about "what the Obama healthcare doctrine" contains, is all spectulation and fear to generate ratings.

As far as privacy intrusion, the Bush admin. might have stepped over a few lines, I agree, but nothing.. NOTHING compared to what the liberal left (who is runnning this country now) wants to do.

Once again, speculation and sensationalism.  The liberal left is not nearly as organized or goal-oriented as the conservative right!  And THIS is the curse of guilty -- not that they get caught but that they have to assume their enemy uses the same tactics they do -- the left (the permissive, do-as-thou-wilt, get high, have sex, get an abortion if you want one, marry whomever or whatever you want to, left) doesn't give a rat's @ss about what you do in private!  Why would they?  They're totally upfront about their gayness, and their promiscuity, and the fact that IF they worship a god at all, it certainly isn't the Daddy God that the conservative right does -- the one that judges and punishes an entire Nation based on the actions of a few individuals who interpret scripture much more abstractly than Daddy God, but the God they might worship is Hippie Jesus -- the Jesus who forgives those who sin, and pals around with prostitutes and other low lifes, which ended up in his alleged crucifixion.

Apply some logic to this issue, John!  Why would the LIBERAL left care what's on your computer?  They want to let you do anything you want as long as you don't hurt somebody else doing it!  That's why they call them LIBERAL!

Beck has forgotten more about the constitution than Stewart will ever know.

The constitution is not what's at issue here -- it's which jester did you want to pay attention to, in order to be dispensed your daily portion of entertainment.  If you're looking for news, you're not going to find it on ANY television network!  You're pretty much going to have to work for it on your own, and you'll be lucky if you find your LOCAL news...just abandoned any ideas of being well informed about what happens on state and federal levels...that's too complicated and guarded to be open to the masses for public viewing.

August 20, 2009 3:40:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I think there are a bunch of ideas and he's using these town halls as a sounding board to find out what the people want

Yeah thats why they tried to CRAM it thru before the break, cmon, this admin has more of a pre-meditated doctrine than any in history... problem is.. its FAILING.

One term President.. I will personally gaurantee you that. This country isn't going to tolerate the enormous amount of bs being thrown our way.

Its unfortunate that folks weren't smart enough to see this all coming before they voted for the biggest political mistake in American history.

I'm not even saying that the other party was doing much better, but what is going on in this country right now is almost comical.

As far as Beck goes, he may be a bit theatrical but he's one smart clown.

August 20, 2009 4:03:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Nobody seems to have noticed this aspect of one of the health bills, the one that has passed through the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee (HELP). It's aim is to "promote healthy living and reduce disparities" by providing grants to "(A) State government agency; (  local government agency; or (C) national network of community-based organizations."  The grants would be “for the implementation, evaluation, and dissemination of proven evidence-based community preventive health activities in order to reduce chronic disease rates, address health disparities, and develop a stronger evidence-base of effective prevention programming.”

It's purpose is to promote “healthier school environments, including increasing healthy food options, physical activity opportunities, promotion of healthy lifestyle and prevention curricula, and activities to prevent chronic diseases.”

"Activities within the plan shall focus on (but not be limited to) ... (iv) assessing and implementing worksite wellness programming and incentives; (v) working to highlight healthy options at restaurants and other food venues; (vi) prioritizing strategies to reduce racial and ethnic disparities, including social determinants of health..."

"In carrying out subparagraph (A), the eligible entity shall, with respect to residents in the community, measure--
"(i)                 decreases in weight;
"(ii)                increases in proper nutrition;
"(iii)               increases in physical activity;
"(iv)               decreases in tobacco use prevalence;
"(v)                other factors using community-specific data from the Behavioral Risk Surveillance Survey; and
"(vi)               other factors as determined by the Secretary [at HHS]."

This means that some government sponsored entity like Acorn will have committees in your neighborhood who will check into what you eat, whether you smoke, and whatever else they dream up to monitor your life.

The program is called "Community Transformation Grants," and is on pages 382-387 as posted on the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee (HELP) web page.

August 20, 2009 4:15:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It seems that the subject has expanded to talking about just what is being down or has been accomplished by whom.

I'd like to go back to what I said in a previous reply,

At my age, old, I'm really not interested in hearing 'the sides' attack each other. It's about time the people realize that we are all affected by the problems at hand, act as one, lets call it being Americans, fix what needs fixing and move on.

If we all could just do that one simple thing just think about all the time we would have on our hands to start enjoying life as it was meant to be.

Term limits are all ready in place, I believe they are call elections.  I do understand though that is is very hard to get the voters to react in a manor so that a real change can be made.  Did I just type that, sounds like some politicians promise.

August 20, 2009 4:15:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Funny OP. Thank G-d I'm no car dealer.

I'm trying desperately to learn how to skin "death panels"....are they oak? Cherry? Pine (as in box)? I figure OD+ for the quick, and OD- for the...well, not so quick.

If I figger a way to do it, will I be a dock doc? Or a Master Mortician? Maybe a Dermatologist or Plastic/Reconstructive Surgeon (Professional Skinner)?

I've even figgered a new Federal Program which I'll administer for a reasonable fee:

Since many medical problems (Diabetes, Hypertension, Hyperlipdemia, Heart Disease, Stroke and Unfashionable/Unaccessorizable clothing) are caused by  O B E S I T Y  I have proposed a bailout of sorts, a rebate on fat: $1,000 for every 50 pounds lost. I'm calling it "Cash for Chunkers", and I've almost got the Surgeon General sold on it.

O.K. Enough attempts at humor. The election (whether you like the results or not) has been over for some time, and the results are what they are. Time to accept it, work together and stop saying no to everything just to be obstructionist. I'm really getting sick and tired of that anal retentive (and in some cases expressive) "I'll never give in and admit it." stuff. This is a country where we learned to compromise. If we can't do that, and can only play 'gotcha' and obstruct each other, why bother?

@Philly: Right On!

August 20, 2009 4:17:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

willistuder, now that makes interesting reading.

August 20, 2009 4:21:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting willistuder,

This means that some government sponsored entity like Acorn will have committees in your neighborhood who will check into what you eat, whether you smoke, and whatever else they dream up to monitor your life.

That's not quite what it means...it means if your neighborhood wants to receive a grant an entity like Acorn will have committees in your neighborhood to check on what you eat, whether you smoke and whatever else they dream up to monitor your life.  If you don't want to be monitored, the answer is simple...don't apply for a grant! 

Personally, I don't think I'd mind having my life monitored.  I'm rather overwhelmed trying to make it work myself, so if a government entity wants to give me money and teach me how to live longer and healthier, I'm not all the opposed to it.  Sometimes you just have to face the monster and ask yourself whether he's that much of a threat that you need to keep running.

August 20, 2009 4:24:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Time to accept it, work together and stop saying no to everything just to be obstructionist.
Accept what? This country was founded by people who would not just 'accept it'. What people like Glen Beck are doing is trying to defend our freedoms by telling us things that we would not hear from other sources....so we dont sit idly by while our rights and liberties are stripped away.

August 20, 2009 4:33:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Not trying to offend anyone but it would seem to an observer that discussions like these and in fact how our Government is run will always come down to a split on what the two political parties feel is what we need or more appropriatly what they see as the needs of all Americans are.

Yes it is our two party system that has, for better or worse, made what America is today. 

I seem to remember having to read stuff during those long years in school about 'a county united' and a 'house divided'.  Anyone else remember that?

August 20, 2009 4:37:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Time to accept it, work together and stop saying no to everything just to be obstructionist.
Accept what? This country was founded by people who would not just 'accept it'. What people like Glen Beck are doing is trying to defend our freedoms by telling us things that we would not hear from other sources....so we dont sit idly by while our rights and liberties are stripped away.

I don't think so.

Glen Beck isn't trying to protect anyone. He gets paid to tell half truths and bald lies, along with efforts to frighten people.

His overly sensitive/concerned style is rather 'B movie" acting at best and truly amateurish.

As for Who founded this country? My relatives, among many others, and it was originally settled not by people seeking religious tolerance for all, rather the privilege of being intolerant to others (Puritans).

I will accept that Beck has freedom to speak (unfortunately, not responsibly most of the time) and I would fight to the death for his right to that speech.

I believe that it is important to relate, however, to what I wrote, Xiandi:

The election (whether you like the results or not) has been over for some time, and the results are what they are. Time to accept it, work together and stop saying no to everything just to be obstructionist.

That is what we need to accept. Enough of obstructionist/rage/disruptive and polarizing tactics.

As Lincoln said, "A house divided against itself will fall." Very true.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000391   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.