The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Good memories, old cartoons

By on August 16, 2009 5:14:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have been desiring to make this thread for a long time. It'll be quite useless in the great scheme of life but I think I'll survive to that.

I don't visit youtube too much but I like how you can find things that you tought forgotten. Like the opening/ending sequences of old cartoons/animes. Oh my, so many memories... And I have decided to share some of them with you because I'm special. I'll do it in the language I saw them (the openings, as the rest of the cartoon might be in other language) because context matters and because I find fascinating then looking for versions in other languages and compare.

Kurenai Shansiro (which in Spain had a toooootally different and more... er... obvious? name): Judo Boy (Spanish) This opening is a bit of wtf and a lot of awesome for me. Never watched it complete the anime but it was nice and had a lot of "WTF with judo!" moments.

Dragon Ball *bows deeply*: Dragon Ball opening (Basque); Dragon Ball ending (Basque) Oh my, I remember when I started watching this one... I still had a small black and white television in my room. Epicly funny and interesting.

Dungeons & Dragons: Dungeons & Dragons opening (Spanish) A pure classic for many of my generation. A pity they got canceled before being able to make the final episode. Altough I read the script of it. ^^ Those sweet times when I still tought that dices could only have six sides... In "unrelated" note: Dugeons & Dragons opening (English), different from the previous one and Dungeons & Dragons, the history repeats (Spanish)

Gummi Bears: Gummi Bears opening (Spanish) I was able to watch most of it but I'm quite sure that I missed some and it's a pity, I really liked this one.

Gargoyles: Gargoyles opening (Spanish). I cannot say I expected too much from this one but neded being a quite nice series. And it's not so old as the others but deserves mentioning.

Darkwing Duck: Darkwing Duck opening (Spanish)

Duck Tales: Duck Tales opening (Spanish). There was a tie I watched lots of Disney stuff. With no doubt, Duck Tales, Gummi Bears and Darkwing were my favourites of all those series.

Transformers: Transformers opening (Basque) The levels of drooling and awesomeness of this cartoon were also legendary. The only bad thing was Soundwave being Decepticon. Never watched newer versions of Transformers. I know about them but never watched.

King Arthur (not sure of the real title right now): King Arthur opening (Basque) I have ended hating all the Arthuric cycle for being so overused and all that but back in the old times I really liked this cartoon... and the thing is that I cannot remember very well what happened in it.

Star Blazers: Star Blazers opening (English) Automatic win for this one in it's time. I was able to watch it partially some time ago and can say that hasn't aged so well but I was so hyped about it back then...

I watched lots of cartoons back then and sometimes I wish I could get some DVDs of some of those series. Surely there were more educative things to do to develop myself as a person but I have really good memories associated with them. (and all the chats with the friends about them and "I'm this" and "No, I AM this!" )

And now that I have contributed to fill Off-Topic with something not very usefull...

+208 Karma | 21 Replies
August 16, 2009 8:21:54 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Suprised you didn't put this up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpBgeQKrhBM&feature=related

Seriously, how often do you have a Tony Award-winning actress voice a cartoon?

August 16, 2009 8:49:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Damn dude, I'm a good bit younger then you, but we watched a lot of the same cartoons. I also loved Thundercats, Teenage Muntant Ninja Turtles, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, Underdog and a lot of the early Nickelodeon(Hey Arnold, Angry Beavers, Rocko's Modern Life, Doug plus some more) and Cartoon Network(Secret Squirrel, Johny Quest, TopCat) cartoons.

And the best freaking cartoon of all time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA8362WWk_s&feature=related

The Pink Panther bitches!(yeah, I know it's way before my time, but TNT had it on reruns in the morning)

August 16, 2009 11:12:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCMOGPX8-I8

Beast Wars blew my young mind.

August 17, 2009 10:55:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

We had so many good cartoons. My favorite was Angry Beavers.

What do we get nowadays? "Who lives in a pineapple under the sea!"

(for the record I like some of the seasons of SpongeBob. Sometimes I swear it's like watching monty python. In other seasons, the show is so dumbed down for kids that I feel my IQ lowering [and i do change the channel])

August 17, 2009 11:17:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Jason and the wheeled warriors - 5 automated vehicles take on a group of plant-car-thingys IN A FREAKIN' SPACE GALLEON

He-man - "I HAVE THE POWER!"

Ulyseas - starwars gave you the pistol and light saber - Ulysease combined them into one device

Pole Position - fast cars with built in wings/skies/lift!/etc

Starcom - generic space action with really cool clockwork/magnetic toys

LIFE - 70's educational program about human biology, but really cool

Visionaries: Kights of magical Light - knights, with holograms in their chests

Centurions - 3 guys with suits that turned into planes/bikes/boats and talked to a hot chick though their watch

yeah, i miss saturday mornings.

**edit***

oh, oh:

Galactic Rangers - space cowboys with power, Goose being the all-time-bad-ass able to turn into gold

Defenders of the Earth - Flash Gordon, The Panther, a magician and some others take on ming the merciless

Bravestarr - space cowboys again, but this time he has strength of the bear, eyes of the hawk...

Batman the animated series - best. batman. ever.

August 17, 2009 12:15:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Silverhawks

Thats a link to the first few minutes of their origin story, and it is completely worth the watch

August 17, 2009 12:57:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting General Homsar,
Suprised you didn't put this up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpBgeQKrhBM&feature=related

Seriously, how often do you have a Tony Award-winning actress voice a cartoon?
I had never see that one. I'll have to investigate further.

I know about the Thunder Cats but never had the chance to watch them, I watched the Tiger Sharks tough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ3Vjiet59E My favourite series from Comic Strip.

Ulyses 31 has some of the coolest ships ever. And some surprising music for the time. Jason and the wheeled warriors was fun! It was strange but fun. ^^  Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers were also great and usually were close in time to the airing of Duck Tales so double fun!

And I don't know how I could forget one of the most fun animes ever: Samurai Pizza Cats! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSF9lUA-wOY (in English if you prefer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXiJYcK4-GU) This anime was OP with no doubt.

And the beloved Sherlock Holmes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE4PWlxY620

Another popular one (and not so old) in its time was C.O.P.S.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxQagE62_zI And also the older David the Gnome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC_y7SeYq5w&feature=related

It was nice when my country had real time zones for children. Today they have reality shows and similars even if in theory isn't allowed.

August 17, 2009 1:42:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How has no one mentioned Voltron: Defender of the Universe?

As a side note: the Wikipedia article claims that a live action Voltron movie is in the works. 

August 17, 2009 3:58:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting JSW_Ballz,

As a side note: the Wikipedia article claims that a live action Voltron movie is in the works. 

YES! I couldn't remember the name, but Voltron used to come on right after Thundercats. Oh the memories...

August 17, 2009 4:28:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting JSW_Ballz,

Haha, that link doesn't work for me because of copyright restrictions in my country. T_T

August 17, 2009 5:10:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is a actual old cartoon and classic at that.

Foghorn Leg Horn:

August 18, 2009 4:11:24 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

That dog got pwned big time!

BTW, I've eaten at Joe's. The pancakes were great!

August 18, 2009 5:17:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You forgot "Captain Simian and the Space  Monkeys"    man that show was awesome.

Too bad it wasn't popular for some reason.  (I blame the really dumb 'music' show that aired sunday mornings right before it.)

It has been pointed out that the  major flaw was that the main characters were monkeys.  It wasn't grabbed up by the furry crowd the way a similar show that featured cats or something would have.   (furries made up a larger part of the audiance for saturday morning cartoons in the 90s than many people think)   (I still blame the flying piano musical show though)

August 18, 2009 7:55:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I didn't forget that, Landisaurus. I didn't know baout it. Oh man, I want to watch it now. Seems quite interesting (and funny. Four pistols?? If some of my ex-players could see that... )

August 19, 2009 3:09:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

well, when you  have hands for feet, sundenly  duelies  are not as exciting.

I figured you didn't see much of it, or at all.   I don't know how much it aired outside the US, and few people even saw it here.   But I wanted to bring it up as I remember it very foundly.  Despite watching it everyday I have not seen every, or even most, episodes.

August 19, 2009 6:26:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Space Monkeys was cool, we had that in the UK.

Reminds me of Bucky O'hare as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CVxefOBUiw

(how'd you get that inlaid?)

August 19, 2009 1:26:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This thread broken for anyone else? All the vidoes are way to the left side of screen and all the post are showing up in the back ground, latest firefox here.

August 20, 2009 3:10:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

same

August 20, 2009 3:18:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

what browser are you using?

I just tried in firefox > worked fine, and IE8 > apparently flash isn't installed for my copy of IE8 yet....

I have a hairy hunch that says its a problem with the installed version of flash you're running, but I can't be sure.

August 20, 2009 5:36:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ah, it's fine here.

at work now, using FF 3.5 here, i got 3.0 at home...

MORE CARTOONS!

August 20, 2009 9:21:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

oooh! i miss those cartoons! reminds me of a lot of good old memories.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.