The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Preview: The Demon Assassin

By on August 10, 2009 12:33:21 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

clip_image002

Demon Assassin

Overview and Traits

Demon Assassin is a Melee Assassin fighting for the Forces of Darkness. He wields a sword and a knife in battle, the sword being his primary weapon.

The Demon Assassin is a highly mobile character who can quickly close the gap between himself and his opponent though the use of warp attacks. His Shadow Swap ability allows him to change positions with an enemy Demigod, throwing them back into their foes. His melee attacks are fast and have a passive chance to critically strike.

While mobile and able to dodge many normal attacks, Demon Assassin is susceptible to magical damage.

The nemesis to Regulus, the Demon Assassin is extremely fast and lethal.

Abilities

Warp Strike ??? Key 1

Activated ability. Warps behind the targeted unit and performs an instant attack. Damage dealt increases as the skill increases.

Deadly Warp

Passive ability. Warp Strike has a high chance to critically strike.

Spine Attack ??? Key 2

Activated ability. Launches a barb from his tail, attacking an enemy at range. Damage dealt increases as the skill increases.

Warp Area ??? Ultimate ??? Key 3

Activated ability. For a few seconds, Demon Assassin warps to nearby enemies and attacks them. While performing this ability, he is invincible. Number of warps increases as the skill increases.

Forceful Blows

Passive Ability. Smaller enemies near targets of Warp Area are thrown into the air.

Shadow Swap ??? Key 4

Activated ability. Demon Assassin swaps places with an enemy Demigod. Distance increases as the skill increases.

Passive abilities

Elusiveness

Demon Assassin???s chance to dodge normal attacks increases.

Demon???s Speed

Demon Assassin???s movement speed increases.

+912 Karma | 221 Replies
August 13, 2009 11:33:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey its Nightcrawlers evil twin

August 13, 2009 12:09:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Lugh,

Quoting alexivonkuciak, reply 116
quoting post
And holy hell at Shadow Swap. I see epic ganks incoming.

I think this spell is going to be a non stop frustration for a few demigods...

And think about how easy it will be to kill another demi at low lv with the swap in front of a tower.. oh shit..!

Tower rooks and mine Regulus are going to cry...

Yeah god I will have to adjust my build for sure with Rook.  Its just that he moves so damn slow if I get swapped into enemies its going to be like immediately having to try and run out of there and cross my fingers lol

The problem with rook move speed builds being you have to sacrifice so much to move faster with Rook (which compared to other DGs is not all that fast lol) that is sort of gimps your game.  Looks like it'l be some interesting strategy adjustments!  Maybe an elven cloak will become standard equipment for Rook players lol, although the teleport range is very small.  Hopefully the swap range will not be much longer than elven cloak teleport.

August 13, 2009 2:22:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

good point...just like evry demigod his skills will be more effective againt certain DG's....i think this guy sounds like rooks worst nightmare but sedna will probly do well against him due to healing....QOT shield will also become way mre useful when this guy drops...

August 13, 2009 11:51:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If teleport cloaks which cost 12k gold become necessary to survive then they need to rebalance the ability.

August 14, 2009 12:09:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting EHThripshaw,

Maybe an elven cloak will become standard equipment for Rook players lol, although the teleport range is very small.  Hopefully the swap range will not be much longer than elven cloak teleport.

Quoting Obscenitor,
If teleport cloaks which cost 12k gold become necessary to survive then they need to rebalance the ability.

Or you could just spend 4,500 on Warpstone?  Been a while since I looked hard at the trinket menu, did they take it off?  (They should drop the price to 3500g anyway though, no one uses this right now)

August 14, 2009 12:47:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Shurdus,

Quoting Lugh, reply 147

Tower rooks and mine Regulus are going to need to adapt their build and style.

Fixed it for you.

Crying is easier

August 14, 2009 12:48:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ke5trel,

Quoting EHThripshaw, reply 152
 Maybe an elven cloak will become standard equipment for Rook players lol, although the teleport range is very small.  Hopefully the swap range will not be much longer than elven cloak teleport.

Quoting Obscenitor, reply 154If teleport cloaks which cost 12k gold become necessary to survive then they need to rebalance the ability.
Or you could just spend 4,500 on Warpstone?  Been a while since I looked hard at the trinket menu, did they take it off?  (They should drop the price to 3500g anyway though, no one uses this right now)

Its range is too negligable....

August 14, 2009 7:54:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Lugh,
Its range is too negligable....

Indeed - even if it were free, it wouldn't be worth taking as it uses an item slot. It really needs a buff to the warpable distance before it can be a viable item.

August 14, 2009 11:22:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't see how this will change mine Reg's that much.  If this assasin comes at you with another demi in tow, then you probably want to run on sight instead of pissing them off w/ mine traps, but if it's just one on one, you just need to position yourself very close to your mines and his shadow warp thing will tele him right into them.

I don't really get area warp.  Do you do a sequence of warps and attack after each warp?  If that's true and assasin is invincible, AND the warp clears mines, that could be an issue.

August 14, 2009 11:41:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting PaprikaSpice,
...[the] assasin is invincible, AND the warp clears mines, that could be an issue.

holly brainwave batman!

August 14, 2009 1:18:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The way you guys talk about DAs ingame makes me think of the damn Lord Mariscal in The Chronicles of Riddick (2004)

August 14, 2009 2:08:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Or you could just spend 4,500 on Warpstone? Been a while since I looked hard at the trinket menu, did they take it off? (They should drop the price to 3500g anyway though, no one uses this right now)
It's 5,500 and do you not see any issue with pricing the warpstone so that every DG can get it? Every DG warping around (or even the majority of them) kind of homogenizes the way they're all played and causes balance changes I don't even want to think about.

August 14, 2009 7:06:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

just had a thought about a teleportation disruption ability.

the game i just had there were very co-ordinated ports into the thick of things.

an ability to stop (possibly even do dmage 200/400/...) teleportations within a radius.

DA sounds perfect for this, if not the some item or such...

August 14, 2009 7:49:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If mine reg stands on his own minefield, it will probably be a pretty effective counter to two of this character's skills.

August 14, 2009 10:39:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Obscenitor,

It's 5,500 and do you not see any issue with pricing the warpstone so that every DG can get it? Every DG warping around (or even the majority of them) kind of homogenizes the way they're all played and causes balance changes I don't even want to think about.

ah ok, 5500 then, thanks.  I definitely see (and remember) the issues with a cheap Warpstone (I think it was 1500g at one point in Beta with higher range and entire teams would blink in from FoW for the gank - not fun to be in the barrel on that one).

OTOH, it's ironic that we would be concerned about future homogeny given the current set of six or seven items used in 95% of online games, on all DGs.  

When you get down to it the pricing on this item and about 80% of the buyable items in the game is just wrong.

It's an easy fix in most cases.  Build a formula off the 500g equipped items we have now where you add:

+500g for each effect

+500g for each item slot freed by an additional effect

and you'll get a variety items people have to work for but are willing to buy, rather than the short list we all use in lieu.  Heck, you'd actually re-introduce equipment as a strategic build consideration!

As for Warpstone and other non-standard trinkets, I think they need to lower the price until the one item costs a bit less than the *total* average equipment budget you get in most games.  If I am spending 5500g on equipment then my team is doing very well, and I have 5 items - I'm no more going to buy a Warpstone, currently, than an Artifact.

Sorry for the serious derail, but I guess we can come back to the original premise by saying that until they revamp items you can counter DA Swap by playing a General with Cloak of Night

August 15, 2009 6:58:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It looks good.. The name could be so much better though.

August 15, 2009 7:21:15 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

So... any clue on when the new demigods will be released? Or at least when we get to see the other new demigod?

August 15, 2009 9:52:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i´ve just read the OP post, this demigod sounds very strong! cant wait to play with it. i think it will give the game a twist more action and dynamics.

August 16, 2009 7:41:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It seems to be just me, since everyone else is already in love with this DG, but don't the Forces of Darkness already have a Aliens-esque character in UB? And doesn't it seem like introducing an entirely new game mechanic in shadow-swap seem like a good way to unbalance a pretty balanced game? I mean, we all want something different and kind of original, but even though all the DGs achieve the effects differently, they are all some balance of melee attack, ranged attack, shield, heal, stun, AE, and DoT (there are others). While some DG's have this in a more effective balance than others (read UB and Erebus) none of then do something the other DGs (or at least a well balanced team) completely cannot do (Reg's Snipe is the closest thing).

No one knows yet how this will balance out. (As a former Magic player, one of the hardest things to do is guess how new cards will affect the field before they are released, and it is often not one you see at first as over-powered.) But it does seem to me that this is a mechanic which will force you to alter your game if you are playing against it, perhaps by having to take the Warp cloak favor item to avoid ganking, whereas right now, most builds are designed to deal with all DGs, with maybe a slight alteration to your skill order selection or item purchases if you are facing a particullarly efficent player playing a particular DG.

I think a lot of people will have to decide in lobby, "Well guess I'll be playing my anti-Demon-Assassin build, to avoid ganking."

And I do hope there is a better name than something a 4th grader would think was awesome.

August 16, 2009 11:55:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

this demigod costs 100,000$ and we get it for free. sponsored by stardock. at least wait until it's there before you rant it into the ground.

August 17, 2009 2:48:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Xenomorph with swords? How can anyone object? :<

The only complaint I have is the name, and the sheer number of somewhat boring passive abilities. Or, well, at least the one that sends enemies into the air for the ultimate. Is there really any use to that at all? Sounds like that could be an addition to the last level of the skill, rather than a skill itself.

August 17, 2009 6:25:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I concur with above

Only real problem I've got is the name. Somehow I doubt a 'demon assassin' would call itself Demon Assassin.

August 17, 2009 6:37:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

his name is  " Xanghul - the Black"...that would fit ime

dear DotA fans......dont cry about copy skill here copy skill there...or do u really want me to find out where DotA copied the skills from ?????????????

Live is XEROX your just a copy !

cheers...da micro

August 17, 2009 8:56:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Krjal,
Only real problem I've got is the name. Somehow I doubt a 'demon assassin' would call itself Demon Assassin.

Stardock should have a contest over the naming of the two demigods here at the forum.  The person who comes up with the best name should be mentioned in the release notes and maybe get a unique skin for their version or something.

August 18, 2009 6:48:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So today is my Sister's Birthday and she wants to know if she can "play the cute alien thingy that hops around yet or not?"

This would be an awesome gift to her.

Or as Bart says, "are we there yet?"

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000719   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.