The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Next Patch Should = Epoch 3

By on August 5, 2009 8:58:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A stats reset alone won't nearly cover it, however. 

Miyamiya illuminates my position exactly with this comment from another thread:

Quoting Miyamiya,
I should clarify, and I should mention I have not done any research on the current ranking mechanism simply because of the obvious exploits and the resulting lack of interest. If it is displayed in game however, I suddenly do have interest in it recording properly.

However...

If we go by win percentage, there are several common situations which throw off win percentage:

1. Playing pro only games vs. stomping around in noob only games
2. Playing with/against premade teams
3. Exploiting the system either in custom games or by queuing up at the same time in pantheon
4. Experimenting with characters/always playing your best character

If we have a chess ranking system based on some sort of team composite, and based on the particular character you play it solves most of these (as far as I know this is not in the works), but there is still the option of exploiting the system (also no prevention mechanisms in the works).

To top it all off, stats are still not reported accurately.

For someone like me who often plays against premades in pro games, often losing because some noob decided they were pro, will I still be able to join these games? or will I have to go to regular or noob only games and stomp around there for a while? 

To add to that, using myself as an example because my stats are fun right now:

1.  Check this out: http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/rankings/ladder/page/100

and here are my stats: http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/player/11146

See anything wrong with this picture?

The "experience" ranking system is broken, and a misnomer to boot.  You have set all players at baseline 1000 exp.  That means a player with 1 loss in a custom game will come down to say, 980 exp.  *And that player will still be ranked higher than me, at 60-70 games played since the reset.*  My "experience" is currently hovering around 900, which puts me up around Rank 24,000.  There are more than 20,000 players who have played 5 games or less, and they are all going to have better rank than me.  Epic Fail.

2.  Since patch 1.1 (coincidentally, of course) my PC has been crashing, and every crash is a loss/dc.  Of the 30 odd losses I've had, 12-15 of them have been crashes.  DCs should affect stats, no argument, but I'm not intentionally leaving these games, actually in many of them my team was winning when I crashed.  (Wouldn't it be beautiful if Demigod had that feature HoN has where you have 500 seconds to reconnect to the game without penalty?  S2 really set the bar on the meta side, the game is a retread but the lobby, connection, and stats system are truly perfect)  No real point here, just that stats aren't going to be accurate for anyone who crashes like that, or anyone in a game with such a crash..

3.  If and when I actually land a team that beats a host in the top 1,000 - that host will most likely dc before the victory screen, for the scratch.  That game will not show up on their record at all, and if it shows on mine it will be a ghost win, with myself as the only player.  I don't blame the hosts - they are preserving their flawless records because you as the developers left a giant gaping loophole for them to jump through...But maybe that will affect relative stats as well, what do you think?  (As a side note this problem existed in December 08 and was reported on these forums)

The best games I'm playing these days are ones where the host weeds through the possible players based on win ratio and number of games played.  I would include both of these numbers in the lobby, and either leave experience rank out completely or fix it til it actually means something. 

Also it would make sense to include aggregate number of games played somewhere, because the epoch resets make some people look like noobs who have 100 hours of play time.

Anyway, thanks for reading
Kestrel

+118 Karma | 7 Replies
August 5, 2009 10:59:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, even if the stat reporting is fixed finally, the rankings are still going to be pretty funky.  Simply put, the ranking algorithm doesnt make too much sense.  At the current moment, ragequitting against good players is substantially better than beating mediocre players in many situations.  And yes, ranking players with a 0-1 record above players with a 50-30 record is just stupid.

Frankly I dont expect the rankings themselves to mean much anytime soon.  For whatever reason, it seems like the devs dont care much about stats.  Not only should the stats bugs have been fixed long ago, but it seems from Frogboy's journals that many of the devs dont care about stats much at all.  Frogboy sounded like he pretty much had to force them to prioritize a stats fix for the next few patches because he personally found stats important.  Thats not a good sign for developing a meaningful stats system in the future.

And yeah, there really should be a reconnection option since other games have it and it is annoying to basically lose a game every time your connection hiccups.  But its not going to happen so there isnt much sense talking about it.

August 5, 2009 5:35:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How can you say that they dont think they care about stats and then like literally the next couple sentences say how its really important to frogboy (aka the boss) to get them fixed.

Someone from SD said earlier this week that theres supposed to be a hotfix out and its supposed to stop host-quitters from abusing the exploit and that alone will greatly balance out stat tracking issues.

August 6, 2009 12:57:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There SHOULD NOT be a stat reset UNTIL we have confirmed that EXPLOITS are gone and tracking is right at least 90% of the time.  This means that when a patch goes live NO RESET will take place.  Even if SD/GPG thinks all things are fixed.  We'll WAIT for the communities' response AND THEN reset stats if issues are resolved.   That would be swell IMO.  No more reset when we think its good only to learn its still poop.  SD has the best post QA team in the business (namely us - dedicated players who will find new issues within 1-2 weeks and post MANY details about them). 

August 6, 2009 12:58:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

They simply need to reset everyont to zero on everything when stats are actually working

August 6, 2009 1:06:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There SHOULD NOT be a stat reset UNTIL we have confirmed that EXPLOITS are gone and tracking is right at least 90% of the time. This means that when a patch goes live NO RESET will take place. Even if SD/GPG thinks all things are fixed. We'll WAIT for the communities' response AND THEN reset stats if issues are resolved. That would be swell IMO. No more reset when we think its good only to learn its still poop. SD has the best post QA team in the business (namely us - dedicated players who will find new issues within 1-2 weeks and post MANY details about them).

this.

Next Patch Should = Epoch 3

next patch should = demigods final chance.

August 6, 2009 2:22:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There SHOULD NOT be a stat reset UNTIL we have confirmed that EXPLOITS are gone and tracking is right at least 90% of the time.  This means that when a patch goes live NO RESET will take place.  Even if SD/GPG thinks all things are fixed.  We'll WAIT for the communities' response AND THEN reset stats if issues are resolved.   That would be swell IMO.  No more reset when we think its good only to learn its still poop.  SD has the best post QA team in the business (namely us - dedicated players who will find new issues within 1-2 weeks and post MANY details about them). 

August 6, 2009 2:49:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Lugh,
They simply need to reset everyont to zero on everything when stats are actually working
I think that nuking everyone's favor points is a bad idea if you want to bolster the game's popularity and lure players back.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.