The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

In game lag 3v3+

By on August 4, 2009 10:51:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ShatteredIce

Join Date 07/2009

So, i join a game online, in the lobby, everything's normal, but once the game starts with a game of 3v3 or more players I spike incredibly and cause everyone and myself to just freeze repeatedly in the game, just really laggy.

I'm pretty sure it's something with the p2p connection demigod uses. could anyone point me to a solution?

Locked Post 27 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 4, 2009 3:14:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

if your ping is <300 in lobby and in game, then your internet upload speed is too low for 3v3+
the more players the more upload speed you need

if you are proxied to anyone there is a problem with pings hitting 800ms, might as well leave the game or end up with a massive headache

August 4, 2009 3:32:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Please run a speed test and post your download/upload speed.  http://www.speedtest.net/

A ping of < 350ms does not necessarily indicate a problem.  I'd think YOU would encounter issues in 3v3 even if all pings were <90.  I'm guessing the problem is your available upload speed. 

August 4, 2009 3:49:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Check your sim speed durring those times.  I had simular problems after 1.1; still do, but I found it goes away if I play with /nosound.  It was not me after all.

August 4, 2009 4:47:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

my ping is normal in the lobby, when i get in game the others have said my ping spikes to about 3k

August 4, 2009 5:06:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ShatteredIce,

my ping is normal in the lobby, when i get in game the others have said my ping spikes to about 3k
Don't ignore pacov's post.

August 4, 2009 7:57:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ShatteredIce,

that's messed up.

August 5, 2009 11:31:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

couldn't do the speedtest, error comes up when i try to download it saying currently uniblue speedupmypc 2009 is only compatible with 32-bit operating systems. Setup cannot continue. ??

August 5, 2009 12:05:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ShatteredIce,
couldn't do the speedtest, error comes up when i try to download it saying currently uniblue speedupmypc 2009 is only compatible with 32-bit operating systems. Setup cannot continue. ??

I don't think you have to setup anything... I've run this on 64 bit vista and 64 bit windows 7.  Just try again.  Open the page, then click on start test to recommended server... I'm guessing you clicked on something else (the page seems designed to get you to click on FREE SCAN, but that's not what you need). 

August 5, 2009 1:19:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, he probably clicked on one of the Ads instead. I would recommend to use FireFox + AdBlock Plus.

August 5, 2009 4:38:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][/URL]

August 5, 2009 4:43:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok, your upload is fine. Do you use any antivirus or firewall software? Or any other software that might monitor or interfere with network connections in some way?

August 5, 2009 4:49:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

norton?

August 5, 2009 5:08:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Eww . Try to add the Demigod directory to the exclusion list of Norton (to all exclusion lists, if there are more). If that doesn't help, uninstall Norton completely.

August 5, 2009 5:33:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

went into program rules for internet programs, put demigod to allow. Tried goin online, still lagging

also tried turning off the firewall completely, still laggin

August 5, 2009 5:49:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hmm... so, just to make sure we have this right.  You can do 2v2 without any sort of lag?  In 3v3 (and logically greater) you lag.  This occurs immediately after the game starts.  Can you check your simspeed?  Join a 3v3 and hit tab as soon as you get start to experience the lag and check your sim speed value.  If I've misunderstood your problem at all, please correct me.  The more info we have the better than chance we can help. 

August 5, 2009 6:15:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

went into a 4v4, simspeed was 7, everyone elses was around 8-9 too

August 6, 2009 12:59:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And lag start immediately after launch?

August 6, 2009 1:40:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky,
Eww . Try to add the Demigod directory to the exclusion list of Norton (to all exclusion lists, if there are more). If that doesn't help, uninstall Norton completely.

Fuck that uninstall that piece of crap and get a good router

I say this because you can "turn off" norton all you want and it will tell you to fuck yourself, you can't turn me off and keep doing its thing..

August 6, 2009 9:29:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ya, lag started immediately as the game began and continued until it ended

August 6, 2009 10:57:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok - so we have confirmed that you have more than enough upload and download bandwidth available.  Your computer has more than enough power to run the game.  You have a good ping in the lobby, but immediately get lag (+ ping spikes) in 3v3 and greater games at the start of the game and throughout.  I'd suggest you follow through with the some of the other suggestions here too.  Uninstall norton and try a 3v3 again.  Do you use a router?  If so, are you able to try to remove the router and connect your pc directly to your cable modem and try another 3v3?  Its possible that your router is causing all of the bottle necks.  Sometimes this can be resolved by getting a firmware update to the router (that helped me out considerably at one point).  Anyone else have any ideas?

I'm very sorry that this has been such a pain for you to get the game to work.  I'd recommend you send an email to [email protected] and send them a link to this thread along with some details.  Best to engage as much help as you can so you can get on with enjoying the game if possible. 

August 8, 2009 1:12:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Has been a problem for a bunch of us for a while.  No luck so far.  Hopefully some suggestions in this thread will help.  GL.

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/352593

August 8, 2009 2:49:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting enginuity,
Has been a problem for a bunch of us for a while.  No luck so far.  Hopefully some suggestions in this thread will help.  GL.

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/352593

Enginuity - thanks so much for popping into this thread and sharing that link.  Wow.  It really sounds like ShatterdIce may be in the same boat as you... thanks for your post from months ago with so much info. 

August 18, 2009 11:27:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i seem t have the same issue on and off great ping in lobby then spike 3k in game bought a new router same thing 3.8 m on speed test with a .56 up load turned off everything never seems to help hopefully stardock figures this out had no problems till last patch

August 18, 2009 1:03:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Network latency and network bandwidth are 2 very different thing that can have profound affect on game play.  Its really hard to track these type of problems down because everyones got a different network.   Many people have nated networks and have multiple computers. 

What makes this worst is the stupid auto update on many computers.  Firefox does this in the background so you don't know whats going on.  Others have macbooks which also does autoupdates.  Me personally, I have a mail server I shutdown temporarily during games.

Many company have taken the business decision to just download the updates first then ask you if you want to install.  This also has an affect on people with small pipes. 

At the end of the day this game is very latency sensisitve and I don't believe the packets are very large (so bandwidht useage is small.)  Last time I checked it sends out and receives roughly 30-40KB/s on an average 3v3 map.  This is easily doable on most peoples network but are on the edge for DSL users in the west coast since ATT sucks. 

August 20, 2009 1:37:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd say, if you have got a standard modem, connect directly to it, uninstall your antivirus/firewall and try it quickly, then turn on Windows firewall atleast when you are done testing it. If you still lag, it is either done to your ISP/Connection or something to do with the game.

I know in CnC3 I had bucket loads of issues connecting to people at all, and went through 4 different brands/types of routers and DMZing myself etc, nothing made a difference (Guess that is EA's stupid netcode). Hopefully it will get fixed.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time: