The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Wireless connection

By on August 1, 2009 8:59:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Kallius

Join Date 04/2009
+1

Hello!

I am currently connected to the internet via a wireless connection to my router. How does this affect me in Demigod, compared to if I buy a cable and connect direcly to my router? (I have searched the forums for answers, but haven't found any... And also please excuse my not perfect english, it's not my native language.)

1) I have heard that my ping might spike to >1000 ms about once every minute. Is this true?

2) Will my ping be constantly higher?

3) Will I sometimes be unable to connect directly to other players (because of the wireless connection) and therefore be forced to use NAT or proxy servers?

4) Is there some other problems I might encounter?

As I wrote above, I just want to know the difference between a wireless connection to my router and a cable to my router.

Thanks for you help in advance!

/Kalle

Locked Post 8 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 1, 2009 9:15:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ideally, there is no difference between a wired and a wireless connection (between you and your router). WLAN will only add an insignificant amount of additional latency.

However, there can be unexpected side effects. A wireless connection could be unstable sometimes, due to outside interference for example.

August 1, 2009 9:19:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok, so basically only 1) is true? Or can 3) also be true?

Thanks for your help!

August 1, 2009 9:22:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1) can be true. But that can be caused by other things too, not just by an unstable wireless connection.

3) has nothing to do with the wireless connection.

August 1, 2009 9:32:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have wireless, and if my ping ever spikes (not when), it doesn't go over 1000. As long as you don't have any interference, and the router is close enough to the computer, there won't be many problems. If you're worried about lagging the game, that's more to do with the bandwidth of your connection and your computer specs, not the type of internet connection itself.

Edit: Wow, one second in between posts...

August 1, 2009 9:32:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thank you very much! That was very helpful!

August 1, 2009 3:29:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just an FYI... I played recently at my friends house (we both have DG) and were playing off his wireless router. both systems were wirelessly connected at first... then the one I played on did 1)... the other did not. after directly connecting with a wire to the router mine stopped. we did not need to connect his to the router directly... sometimes wireless is just wierd?

August 2, 2009 9:14:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, I agree. But thanks for the help everyone!

August 27, 2009 2:47:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting lordfrodo,
Just an FYI... I played recently at my friends house (we both have DG) and were playing off his wireless router. both systems were wirelessly connected at first... then the one I played on did 1)... the other did not. after directly connecting with a wire to the router mine stopped. we did not need to connect his to the router directly... sometimes wireless is just wierd?

Sometimes peoples expectations of wireless is weird too..

You could have merely 'moved too far away ' to get a good signal from the router.

You could have gone into a room for privacy that had some thick walls, large number of electrical equipement running etc, and gotten a shoddy signal..

Short answer is there is too much variability in a wireless connection to game a lot unless you aren't easily agitated. WIRED is simply better.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time: