The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: end of July status report

By on July 24, 2009 10:25:05 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

All this week I watched GPG and Stardock QA going back and forth on the demo build. Just little things.

We also went into great detail on the 2 new demigods that are in development. I am anticipating being able to go into significant detail on these in the next couple of weeks now that they’ve moved beyond a bunch of “assets” and are starting to come together.

Tentatively we are looking at one general and one assassin. One will be of the forces of light and the other the forces of darkness. One will be melee oriented, the other projectile oriented.

In addition, version 1.2 is the next major milestone GPG is working on.  It’s due in August so that we can show it off at PAX where we also expect to be showing off the 2 new Demigods.

Prior to version 1.2 we are also very close to a post v1.1 update. I had hoped we were going to release it this week but there’s still a bit more to do.  The post v1.1 update is expected to fix a LUA decompression crash that some people have run into (and by some people we mean those people get it a lot) as well as some fixes to stats.  There may also be some balance tweaks to the bishops-related idols but not sure if they’ll make it in time.

For version 1.2 itself our list is:

• Replays (managed)
  • Rematches
  • Additional items & balancing
  • New Demigod #1 (may be released separately)
  • New Demigod #2 (may be released separately)
  • Squelch (silence users in game) /squelch frogboy (right from SupCom)
  • Option to turn off Arena background
  • Various Bug fixes
  • More AI improvements (if anyone in the community wants to make LUA suggestions I’ll forward them on)
  • New AI options  (on death)
    • 1. Gold/ XP: High (= to what it is today)
    • 2. Gold/ XP: Normal (= 50% what killing a human player would be worth) [default]
    • 3. Gold/ XP: Low (=25% of what killing a human player would be worth)
  • New AI option:
    • 1. Hitpoints: Very High (2X what they are today)
    • 2. Hitpoints: High (1.5 what they are today) [Default]
    • 3. Hitpoints: Normal (1.0 what they are today)
    • 4. Hitpoints: Low (0.75 what they are today)
  • Modding Support:
    • 1. Quickie SDK that explains how to make maps
    • 2. Quickie SDK that explains how to make demigods
    • 3. Quickie SDK that explains how to make items
  • New Option: Use Mods (allows mods to be used in single player)
  • Hosts would select which mods to use.
  • We would begin including mods submitted in updated builds.
  • If a player does not have a mod, then it’s not used.
  • More robust Pantheon and Skirmish handling (slot time to work with us to make this system work better).
  • Connection Info would display a player’s rank/experience to better balance custom games

Other things that are being discussed without a consensus yet:

• Should custom games be ranked?
  • How do we make it easy for people to create team games (that doesn’t involve a lot of UI work)
  • How do we make pantheon/skirmish games more flexible (1 on 1, 2 on 2, etc.)
  • Ways of handling pre-made teams
  • Ways for hosts to ban people from joining their games. (personal ban lists)

Ironically, the biggest development resource limitation right now is in the area of UI.  So solutions that require new screens and such are more problematic.  In the long run, we’ll add as much as we can to Impulse’s overlay which is getting a significant revamp in August for better handling for friends and such.

Also high on our list but will probably not make it into v1.2 but likely v1.3 are the Clan Wars.  It was decided that getting modding out earlier rather than later was important because in doing so, Stardock itself can start to create maps and demigods to release as well as let players create their own demigods if they want and in a pinch we can take care of the exporting for them.

So that’s where things stand as we start to near the end of July.

Locked Post 109 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 25, 2009 1:45:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great news all around!

July 25, 2009 1:51:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounds great -- glad to see that the AI will be less of a liability.  Most looking forward to the replays and the "various bug fixes" though.  Can't wait to hear / see more!

July 25, 2009 3:07:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Absolutely excited with the upcoming v1.2 patch!

July 25, 2009 3:46:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This looks really great, thank you for the update, can't wait to try it out.

July 25, 2009 4:18:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Really good news! Waiting to see 1.2 in action.

July 25, 2009 4:21:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Modding is going to be awesome in this game!! I can't wait to see some of the new content and new ideas.

July 25, 2009 5:13:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OMG I actually want to play again. Good job to your team members, from stardock to GPG in bringing us this information and the upcoming updates. This is very important to me and obviously many others.

July 25, 2009 5:38:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Excellent update, Frogboy!  Thanks.  I hope that everything stays on track for an August release of 1.2 (with the 2 new demigods).  Also, that's good news about the AI tweaks and modding support.  I'd love to see modders and Stardock making new maps and demigods on a regular basis.

July 25, 2009 5:42:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Maps, maps!

Edit: And I'm referring to modding ..

July 25, 2009 7:59:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Some great news.  Gives me hope.  I'm just hoping (like some others) that random teams and/or the host+quitting=win exploit is fixed in 1.1 (or 1.2).  That's pretty much the reason I don't play online anymore.  Perhpas an unranked game area,where I/we don't have to worry about ranks at all?  Still, I'm guessing many modders are drooling about now.

And the 50% xp/gold for killing AI replacements is GREAT!  That plus imporved AI means that a RQ may not mean a sure defeat

July 25, 2009 9:07:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

nice update........but why not the customized map can use on the multiplayer game?

July 25, 2009 9:25:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy, Are the new demigods female? Seeing that currently there's only 2 I think it would more than fair.

July 25, 2009 10:44:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Excellent news, I'm really looking forward to this release!  The new AI settings should be really interesting, and replay support is a welcome surprise for sure.  The icing on the cake would definitely be the new Demigods though.

July 25, 2009 10:53:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

hey developers, you need to make this map:

you NEED to. everyone will agree to this.

Clockwork

July 25, 2009 11:22:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ah. Now this is more like it.

July 26, 2009 5:15:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting bmg50barrett,
hey developers, you need to make this map:

you NEED to. everyone will agree to this.

Clockwork

As much as the map is cool conceptually... the amount of work that would go into a map like that, plus play-testing (Y'know, it is VERY important) make this not something nearly as cool as you think it'd be.

July 26, 2009 6:06:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This level of support is a fan's dream come true. Definitely looking forward to it all. One thing I wish to say is, don't rush things. If things can't be in on time, so be it. I, for one, am more than willing to be patient and wait for the polish.

July 26, 2009 3:44:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thank you for your commitment to this game!
No one should have any doubts about you guys anymore.

I hope modding wont be too difficult tought

July 26, 2009 10:22:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Anything about connection i nthe update? only game mode i can login is skirmish mode, and since i cannot activate my port because i`m living in a student flat, which means all the room are wired, so no router available. I ask this question because i wrote an article stating the fact that it was never intended for users to change or adjust ports to play Demigod online, so are there any other solutions ?

July 26, 2009 10:26:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

oh sorry, i meant i read an article !!!

July 27, 2009 3:14:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In SP tournament "Normal" option is too easy, you can beat all games without any defeat, but "Hard" option is too hard, its almost impossible to win any games for example with Torchbearer. Can you tweak Hard option, so it will be possible to win some games? And to replay games, when you loose a game.

When you play SP tournament your allies are so stupid and enemies are too smart. Something is wrong with AI script.

July 27, 2009 3:16:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

MY HEAD ESXPLOODEEDDDD

July 27, 2009 5:30:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Kermo,
In SP tournament "Normal" option is too easy, you can beat all games without any defeat, but "Hard" option is too hard, its almost impossible to win any games for example with Torchbearer. Can you tweak Hard option, so it will be possible to win some games? And to replay games, when you loose a game.

When you play SP tournament your allies are so stupid and enemies are too smart. Something is wrong with AI script.

If you can't win the SP tournament games as the TB you are doing something profoundly wrong...

July 27, 2009 6:35:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Kermo,

I don't agree on that. I was missing a new AI archetype even harder than nightmare. Call it something like "Goddess AI" if you want.

Maybe this does ring a bell somewhere in a near future... Howdy Sorian!

July 27, 2009 3:28:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm just hoping for the updates to come by quickly. And the demo as well, as it will probably bring more players.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000360   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.