The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: end of July status report

By on July 24, 2009 10:25:05 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

All this week I watched GPG and Stardock QA going back and forth on the demo build. Just little things.

We also went into great detail on the 2 new demigods that are in development. I am anticipating being able to go into significant detail on these in the next couple of weeks now that they’ve moved beyond a bunch of “assets” and are starting to come together.

Tentatively we are looking at one general and one assassin. One will be of the forces of light and the other the forces of darkness. One will be melee oriented, the other projectile oriented.

In addition, version 1.2 is the next major milestone GPG is working on.  It’s due in August so that we can show it off at PAX where we also expect to be showing off the 2 new Demigods.

Prior to version 1.2 we are also very close to a post v1.1 update. I had hoped we were going to release it this week but there’s still a bit more to do.  The post v1.1 update is expected to fix a LUA decompression crash that some people have run into (and by some people we mean those people get it a lot) as well as some fixes to stats.  There may also be some balance tweaks to the bishops-related idols but not sure if they’ll make it in time.

For version 1.2 itself our list is:

• Replays (managed)
  • Rematches
  • Additional items & balancing
  • New Demigod #1 (may be released separately)
  • New Demigod #2 (may be released separately)
  • Squelch (silence users in game) /squelch frogboy (right from SupCom)
  • Option to turn off Arena background
  • Various Bug fixes
  • More AI improvements (if anyone in the community wants to make LUA suggestions I’ll forward them on)
  • New AI options  (on death)
    • 1. Gold/ XP: High (= to what it is today)
    • 2. Gold/ XP: Normal (= 50% what killing a human player would be worth) [default]
    • 3. Gold/ XP: Low (=25% of what killing a human player would be worth)
  • New AI option:
    • 1. Hitpoints: Very High (2X what they are today)
    • 2. Hitpoints: High (1.5 what they are today) [Default]
    • 3. Hitpoints: Normal (1.0 what they are today)
    • 4. Hitpoints: Low (0.75 what they are today)
  • Modding Support:
    • 1. Quickie SDK that explains how to make maps
    • 2. Quickie SDK that explains how to make demigods
    • 3. Quickie SDK that explains how to make items
  • New Option: Use Mods (allows mods to be used in single player)
  • Hosts would select which mods to use.
  • We would begin including mods submitted in updated builds.
  • If a player does not have a mod, then it’s not used.
  • More robust Pantheon and Skirmish handling (slot time to work with us to make this system work better).
  • Connection Info would display a player’s rank/experience to better balance custom games

Other things that are being discussed without a consensus yet:

• Should custom games be ranked?
  • How do we make it easy for people to create team games (that doesn’t involve a lot of UI work)
  • How do we make pantheon/skirmish games more flexible (1 on 1, 2 on 2, etc.)
  • Ways of handling pre-made teams
  • Ways for hosts to ban people from joining their games. (personal ban lists)

Ironically, the biggest development resource limitation right now is in the area of UI.  So solutions that require new screens and such are more problematic.  In the long run, we’ll add as much as we can to Impulse’s overlay which is getting a significant revamp in August for better handling for friends and such.

Also high on our list but will probably not make it into v1.2 but likely v1.3 are the Clan Wars.  It was decided that getting modding out earlier rather than later was important because in doing so, Stardock itself can start to create maps and demigods to release as well as let players create their own demigods if they want and in a pinch we can take care of the exporting for them.

So that’s where things stand as we start to near the end of July.

Locked Post 109 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 25, 2009 2:44:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice, lookin forward to that stuff

July 25, 2009 3:14:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It was decided that getting modding out earlier rather than later was important because in doing so, Stardock itself can start to create maps and demigods to release as well as let players create their own demigods if they want and in a pinch we can take care of the exporting for them.

I think this tells a lot as to GPG continued involvement in demigod. Lately the community has realized that they don't exactly have the motivation to give the support needed, particularly when it comes to new demigods/maps. Personally I thought that would be the end of it, and as much as I love demigod the game couldn't last into the longterm.

Now I am much more optimistic, that even in the worst case scenario stardock can take over some of the functions normally reserved for developers. Maybe we will see a lasting tournament community start to grow, something I had totally written off previously.

The game has a huge amount of potential, and stardock is one of the few companies that can realize it.

July 25, 2009 3:20:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It'd be nice if we could create "build priorities" and such. Basically, the ability to give the AI builds that players would use (many of which have been posted on these forums) and to be able to give them preferences towards certain equipment and citadel purchases.

July 25, 2009 3:24:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice

July 25, 2009 3:43:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great updates, really looking forward to them.

Connection info, probably missed the boat But can it show percentage of player disconnects and also if it had any way at all of determining players upload ability to number of players in game that would probably kill lag once and for all

Tals

July 25, 2009 4:29:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Random Maps please Brad.....If you could be so kind to forward the suggestion.

July 25, 2009 4:42:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Awesome, I can't wait. Thanks Frogboy.

I cant belive the update is so soon. This is why I love PC games.......MODS, UPDATES, MODS, MODS, UPDATES

Console lovers heed the call.

Lonf Live the OAK

July 25, 2009 4:56:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting RowSkin,
Sweeeeet! I can't wait!

I agree.

July 25, 2009 6:13:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ,
Connection Info would display a player’s rank/experience to better balance custom games

I have seen some posts asking for this in the forums, though I need to voice my concern about this. While it is true that displaying the player's rank and experience will allow for a better balance in custom games, in turn it will make getting into a game of demigod much harder. Right now when I join a game, it can take a few minutes to find the number of people required for the game. Most of the time in a minute we have enough, but people constantly drop out due to impatience. With the player's rank and experience being readily available I see one of two things happening.

1. The host will kick anyone that doesn't fit into his desired skill level. A good host will put that level into the description, but there will be lots of cases where people will be spending time looking for a game that they would fit into.

2. A player will join an open custom game and see that some players on the opposite team are really good, or one of their team mates sucks and will quit.

Either of these issues will be ok if there were 20,000+ people playing the game at any time, but when I look at the game stats, I only see around 2,000 people playing demigod. I believe this feature will only become the tool of grief and could cause demigod to lose some of its current playerbase (which would make the issue worse).

I think when matching people up for a skrimish, the skill level of the player should be taken into account, and when a team skirmish system can be made where a team of 2-5 players join a skirmish together and get matched with another team that is roughly the same skill level.

Quoting Talsworthy,
Great updates, really looking forward to them.
Connection info, probably missed the boat But can it show percentage of player disconnects and also if it had any way at all of determining players upload ability to number of players in game that would probably kill lag once and for all

This can be even worst IMO. I know Talsworthy that you want this so you can make sure that you aren't going to play with a guy that will rage quit, but then if you happened to have a period of time when you crashed out of the game a lot, people are going to start kicking you, even if the problem was due to demigod, not you rage quitting. From my perspective, giving this information to the players will just be used as a source of grief.

I play Sins of a Solar Empire, but mostly with my friends, and we usually quit out of the game when we feel one side is going to win, I probably played 50+ games (I play one game a week since launch), but my record only shows as 10 games played. When I tried to join a public game, I got booted because they said I was a noob. Imagine if the game said 40 disconnects? Online people can be jerks (even me sometimes ). If we give people the means to grief, they will.

July 25, 2009 6:18:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Remiel,

The automatic retrieving of mods you don't have could be another possibility.  One I'd personally recommend, easy mod distribution is a good thing.  Unfortunately it wont be possible for things like maps due to their size, but smaller mods that change insignificant things could be sharable. 

I am a bit scared that mods will make demigod to overwhelming for new players. I expect once modding is fully supported more people will be playing with mods, especially new maps (I am getting tired of cateract) and if the barrier to entry will be to figure out how to get mods for the game, new players will probably get frustrated and leave.

Your autodownloading idea will definately help, but for larger mods like maps, I suggest that GPG and Stardock create a mod/map submission system and the best mods and maps can then get put into a game update. I expect we will see some truely great maps in the near future created by demigod players.

July 25, 2009 6:18:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ,

We would begin including mods submitted in updated builds.

If a player does not have a mod, then it’s not used.

Please give thought to some official method of mod distribution, an option to download in-game would be awesome but at the very least being able to link there from a game would be handy.

With an official method you can easily track the popular mods for inclusion in future builds and it keeps the method of obtaining a mod simple by having it the same for all mods.

July 25, 2009 8:03:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thni kthe thing with less farmabel ais and modding support are the best improves!

July 25, 2009 8:30:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Jeepers! That's a fantastic update list!

Can't wait for replays

July 25, 2009 8:48:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I was one of the people who were getting more and more pessimistic about the future of the community of DG. Now I am actually a lot more optimistic. I am looking forward to both the patch and the huge leap forward in 1.2.

July 25, 2009 8:56:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice patch 1.2 & also good news on the 2 new demigods 

Keep up the good work StarDock

July 25, 2009 8:57:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thats GEART !!!!!

cant wait for it !!!  THX

July 25, 2009 9:28:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

YES! thankyou Frogboy! cant wait

Option to turn off Arena background

what does this mean exactly?

July 25, 2009 10:27:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Looks great, thanks for the update.

July 25, 2009 10:34:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting StAcK3D_ActR,
YES! thankyou Frogboy! cant wait

Probably the pretty 3d rendered backgrounds? That would do a lot to improve performance on some machines without making the actaul gameplay look crummy.

July 25, 2009 11:14:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting mrbojangles0,
I'll admit I was starting to lose faith, but my faith in SD and GPG has been restored. Definitely looking forward to the patch. Hopefully it will fix more connectivity issues so we can get bigger pantheon games.

I feel exactly the same way.

July 25, 2009 11:42:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Connatic,

Quoting StAcK3D_ActR, reply 17YES! thankyou Frogboy! cant wait

Probably the pretty 3d rendered backgrounds? That would do a lot to improve performance on some machines without making the actaul gameplay look crummy.

Yeah, should be a great way to get a significant boost to performance without lowering the other graphics settings.  Sort of like how everyone notices that Exile seems to run smoother than other large maps.

July 25, 2009 12:29:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So no Team Skirmish in this patch? Hmm, I wonder if we'll even need it. I think with a new Friends List that works, we might not need it. Just tighten the stats(this might be post 1.1?) and make sure the host exploit gets fixed(this is a huge thing that causes premades to always want to host- 1.2?).

Keep Custom Games ranked until there's a Team Skirmish, if you put one in.

July 25, 2009 1:01:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Patch looks fantastic - especially the new AI options.  I am surprised that a random teams option for custom games didn't make the list.

Most of the people who favor random teams don't post here often.  Go into almost any Demigod game lobby and ask "what would you think about a random teams option for custom games?" and the majority of the people will be enthusiastic about the prospect. 

Of course, if you join a premade lobby, you will get a different response, but we all know why that is.

July 25, 2009 1:17:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the info.

July 25, 2009 1:41:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Great news, especially about the modsupport that enables SD and the community to make maps and Demigods. Thanks for the info Frogboy!
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000640   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.