The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Playstation Emulation

By on July 18, 2009 5:36:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Like any PC Gamer, I'm always hungry for good games - unfortunately it seems that developers aren't able to keep up with the demand for quality titles. While this isn't always a bad thing, as it gives us more time to appreciate what we do have and to replay our old favourites, I often find myself staring at my computer wondering what to play because, frankly, sometimes I don't want to play a multiplayer game and much more like to lose myself in grand single player adventure! I can't claim to have played all of the classics across the years, however it's a very safe bet that I've played the majority of them. So, after fishing around the bowls of the internet for games I either hadn't heard of or had forgotten about, I found a previously untapped well of quality titles.

Enter the Playstation.
Back in the day, I was a Nintendo 64 kinda guy; Goldeneye 007 and The Legend of Zelda were my bread and butter, and games like Banjo-Kazooie always bring back fond memories (and catchy tunes!). It seems, however, that I completely overlooked the power of my modern computer which is capable of handling Playstation and even Playstation 2 titles with ease! A friend of mine suggested that if I wanted to play some quality games, grab a Playstation Emulator and grab the games off of ebay. So, I went shopping and walked away with a bag of bargins; Chrono Cross (!), Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX, Resident Evil 2 and so on. For a mere AU$50 I've got enough quality entertainment to keep me busy until the next Elder Scrolls. Maybe.

Anyway, after some self-educating and a some curse words, my Playstation Emulator now handles all of my semi-new Playstation titles and as an added bonus the games look 100 times better than they ever did on their original platform! I hooked up my wired Xbox 360 controller and I've spent most of today losing myself in Chrono Cross.

Has anyone else emulated games like these before - I'm not interested in Pirated ones - and if so could you recommend me any titles? Seems like I missed some very, very good games!

+115 Karma | 90 Replies
August 3, 2009 3:30:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,
Nah, most of my mates think I'm crazy for going back to PS1 games when I've got a perfectly functional 360 in my lounge room. Do the emulators do Online Multiplayer?

If they do, it's rough to get at. Even trying to do online multiplayer on my GBA emulator with my brother was tough. Even then, I'd probably be about the only person on earth to play a game of TM with you online, and my connections to Australia are nothing to write home about. So methinks TM is bust.

August 3, 2009 5:14:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Damn it, ok. I'll stick to single player outings. Got my hopes up there for a minute.

August 8, 2009 7:16:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just finished Ico, which rounds out wave one of my purchases.
I just had to say, Ico was far from what I expected - and I mean that in a bad way. Talk about over-rated. The combat was mind-numbingly simplistic and it became boring after the first fight of the game due in part to the simplistic, yet still somehow problematic, controls and a lack of variety. How did people complete this game and still adorn it with talk of art after sitting through the same fight repeated at least 20 times until the credits roll? And my god, the fight before the Queen - that alone dropped a full half point off of any score I could give it.
The puzzles, and I use the term lightly, had solutions that were fairly simplistic - and yet the developers felt the need to stretch out the time required to enact the solutions to such a degree that solving the puzzles became a chore rather than a brain-teasing enjoyment as a good puzzle game should be. You simply spend too long walking to the place you need to get to, to press a button or move a block, only then to have to walk back to where you started. Every puzzle in the game basically follows this pattern and it wears thin very, very quickly. A 'puzzle' that takes 20 minutes to solve is neither intelligent nor fun if it's solved in three second after entering the area and then you spend 19:57 seconds putting that solution into play, only to enter another area where you repeat this exact procedure. The moment to moment game is shattered, and the 'fun' comes in blocks - usually when entering a new area when you're still figuring out what to do. Then it all comes together, and you begin going through the motions to get to the next bit.
Now, while the art direction and execution is fantastic - the game is beautiful - you spend so much time running in a straight line for far too long or climbing a pathetically long ladder or chain - usually having to hit a single switch and then climb back down again - that by about half way through the game the feeling of being alone or the awe that the scale of your environment gives you has long since been extinguished because you see the same corridor, the same courtyard, the same walkway 15 times while running around. They basically ruin every environment they created by forcing the player to see them until you can't stand them anymore while 'solving' a puzzle you solved 15 minutes ago, and are just climbing that unessecarily long ladder to press a swtich to move on. The lack of additional texture work sorely hurts before the game is a third of the way through, and it makes the rain of the final act a welcome addition soley to see a change of any kind. Considering how technically accomplished this game is, it really saddens me to see such accomplishments wasted by a complete lack of understanding of how to use said accomplishments.
Considering I finished the game in 5 hours and 11 minutes on my first play through, never died, never felt challenged or in danger, and I still feel that the game dragged itself out for no real reason other than because the developers were simply out of ideas, I have to give Ico 2.5 stars out of a possible 5. It's repetitive and nowhere near the classic people lable it as. I hope SotC lives up to it's name a damn sight better than Ico, as I feel I've wasted both my money and my time with this.

August 8, 2009 8:57:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You should review the SotC debate in previous posts in light of your experience with Ico. I never played Ico myself, and SotC has zero block-pushers (that I can remember), but keep this in mind: There is a lot of riding toward the collosi. I mean, a friggin LOT. Time will go by, and it may or may not be the game for you.

But hey, it's probably 10 bucks used

August 8, 2009 1:33:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's so much the travel time that bothers me - moving through the Castle in Ico initally was quite amazing. Going over the same ground again and again and having little to no change in texture work destroyed the usual "look while you walk" feeling that large scale environments create and indeed encourage. You can only look at the same brick wall for so long before it no longer interests you.

From what I can tell from reviews, each of the Collosi you fight each have a different terrain type and area of the world - and you don't have to ride across the same section of the game again and again and again. I'm willing to take a risk with SotC, because no one has described it as "Ico with Monsters" rather merely used Ico is reference to the emotion it's presentation creates. Ico had fantastic presentation - but a pretty pile of shit is still just a pile of shit in my world.

August 8, 2009 3:27:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ZehDon,
It's so much the travel time that bothers me - moving through the Castle in Ico initally was quite amazing. Going over the same ground again and again and having little to no change in texture work destroyed the usual "look while you walk" feeling that large scale environments create and indeed encourage. You can only look at the same brick wall for so long before it no longer interests you.

From what I can tell from reviews, each of the Collosi you fight each have a different terrain type and area of the world - and you don't have to ride across the same section of the game again and again and again. I'm willing to take a risk with SotC, because no one has described it as "Ico with Monsters" rather merely used Ico is reference to the emotion it's presentation creates. Ico had fantastic presentation - but a pretty pile of shit is still just a pile of shit in my world.

I think you are going to find the same problems with SotC as with Ico. Riding in SotC has no meaning (in my oppinion). The scenarios are just beautiful and really push the PS2 hardware, but there's nothing you can do with them (well, you can do two minor things, end of the story). So you are just riding to find the Colossi and butcher it.

About the Colossi, they are pretty similar in general and they feel like the puzzles you described in Ico (something expected, the same team did them with probably the same design ideas). Once you find the way to kill them you have to repeat the same actions several times, the puzzles are really light (the last Colossus is the exception, I liked that one),...

You can try it, it's true it's a beautiful game in most parts (art wise speaking), but reading your opinions about Ico, I really said: damm, I had the same feelings about SotC

August 8, 2009 5:14:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You won't be back-tracking in SotC much, and the environments are impressive. Also, at the bargain bin price it's almost certainly at, it's worth a look simply because the Colossi look so damned cool.

August 8, 2009 10:37:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

To be fair, I don't mind long walks with nothing to do as long as I have something new to see. Take Half-Life 2's opening sequence as evidence that this can work. Digital backdrops can be beautiful, and as long as it looks interesting - even if I can't interact with it - or is well prestended I don't mind. Ico tried to do this, however they forgot the part where the player needs to be kept interested. Giving the player something pretty to look at as a gameplay device only works when the player hasn't seen it before - you can't keep giving them the same vista to look at and expect that they won't grow bored and look elsewhere, like at the short comings of the gameplay. I'm going to give SotC a chance. I'll let you know if it was money well spent after I've finished it. May god have mercy.

August 9, 2009 12:23:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Try gettind Driver. It's fun to watch cops bounce off pavement and never come back down

August 9, 2009 2:35:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hahaha, I don't I know much about Driver - I'm guessing it's a hilariously bad driving game?

August 9, 2009 3:19:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well if we're going for driving games, nothing beats Car-nage, or whatever it was called. Getting points for running people over is win.

Edit: That should be Carmageddon.

August 9, 2009 5:32:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Isn't that Carmageddeon? I've never heard of Car-nage.
I'm waiting for Gran Turismo 2 to arrive - heard it's easily the best racer of it's generation.

August 9, 2009 10:29:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Twisted metal that pseudomelon recommended is great!   The original atleast. TM 2 became broken because of the special attacks which made it too easy.

But if you like Twisted Metal, then get Vigilante 8!   It's vehicular combat like Twisted Metal but better. The graphics are GOOD and the framerate smooth

Reminds me that Twisted Metal is coming for the Playstation 3....wonder what kind of cpu I would need to emulate THAT!

The games I most would like to play are from the Playstations very beginning. I remember the demodisc I gotted with my Playstation contained some fun games like Loaded and Jumping Flash. Get Loaded and Reloaded. I would.

August 10, 2009 5:10:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ahh, yes, Carmageddon. That's the one. Post edited

August 10, 2009 7:54:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Haha, glad you edited the line, otherwise my post below wouldn't have made any sense and I'd have looked dumber than usual.

August 11, 2009 5:00:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Heheh.  Yeah, I figured editing the mistake directly would turn the posts into trash so I avoided it.

There's a Final Fantasy package, whose name illudes me... The first 3 episodes of Final Fantasy in one little box, with some graphical and battle system updates (FFI originally had a spell system resembling that of playing a D&D First Edition-3rd Edition Wizard, and now uses a mana-point system) so if you really like Final Fantasy, you can't go wrong there. But in my opinion, there are definitely better packages to be had for the good old PSX.

August 11, 2009 5:58:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm sure I'll soon feel the ire of the fans, but you'll realize that PS games are over-rated, arcadish, platformy rubbish, disguised as serius games. So is Wii's games, for that matter (I own both systems and a PSP).

XBOX360's games are the only games worth getting, but then again, many of the good XBOX360 games are simultaneously released on the PC or used to on the PC in the first place and MS just chose to make them more oriented towards XBOX360 to increase sales and many of the developers mention that it's basically a 'OS-Less' (so to speak) boxed PC, so I think it might be a good idea to simply stick with the PC and be done with it.

I really am not much of a console fan.

August 11, 2009 7:28:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A good game is a good game on any console. If you limit what you 'enjoy' to the logo on the box, you're robbing yourself of some amazing experiences and a truck load of fun!

August 12, 2009 3:31:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Gormoth1,
I'm sure I'll soon feel the ire of the fans, but you'll realize that PS games are over-rated, arcadish, platformy rubbish, disguised as serius games. So is Wii's games, for that matter (I own both systems and a PSP).

XBOX360's games are the only games worth getting, but then again, many of the good XBOX360 games are simultaneously released on the PC or used to on the PC in the first place and MS just chose to make them more oriented towards XBOX360 to increase sales and many of the developers mention that it's basically a 'OS-Less' (so to speak) boxed PC, so I think it might be a good idea to simply stick with the PC and be done with it.

I really am not much of a console fan.

My eyes have been opened. Clearly, a game's content is inherantly limited by the platform it's released on. Surely the work involved in the game does not matter, nor the developer, nor the intention. A game can only be truly good clutched from the jaws of microsoft, and thus we can assume Halo Wars is a great game, while anything with Sony on it is not. Or we could just relate you to the following pictures.

I eagerly await your brilliant response.

August 12, 2009 4:16:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Your eyes were not intended to be opened, it was a mere rant.

And those pics? Brilliant, really shows your obviously higher intelligence.

August 12, 2009 5:52:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Gormoth1,

And those pics? Brilliant, really shows your obviously higher intelligence.
No, admittedly that just shows how bored I get reading fanboy posts.

August 12, 2009 7:51:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Mocking people with pictures found through a Google search is almost an Artform these days.

August 16, 2009 10:00:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So, Shadow of the Colossus arrived on Friday, and it looks like my kind of game! I say looks, because it's a difficult game to emulate due to the way it was coded and as such is border-line unplayable on my system. A lot of graphical garbage on the screen and random slow-down. I have managed to take down the first Colossus, and it seems like a fantastic game. Much better than Ico.

I'm looking into picking up a Slimline Playstation 2, they're like AU$200.00 now, and playing through it proper. Certainly seems it's worth the hassle and the money. Just wanted to throw down two questions:
1. Do Playstation 2's work on LCD Widescreen TV's ok with the packaged in stuff, or do I need to buy adapters and stuff to get the best out of it?
2. Apart from the usuals - Final Fantasy, God of War, Shadow of the Colossus - are there any games I should be on the look out for?

August 16, 2009 10:30:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The Ratchet and Clank games were pretty good action platformers.  They don't take themselves too seriously so they are good when you want things to explode.

August 17, 2009 1:21:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Uhhh, I'm unsure that God of War ever ported to the PS2. Without a doubt though, Metal Gear Solid 2, 3, & 4, GTA: San Andreas, Okami, and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. (Was PoP already mentioned? Curse my memory.) Then maybe a couple cult classics like Godhand, a game which, I warn you now, will kick your friggin ass. When I get home I'll sort through my game collection and see what would still be fun now that multiplayer won't be an option.

Completely unrelated, 200 Aus seems a little steep (150-170 US, I think); you sure that emulator isn't coming along?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000235   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.