The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Playstation Emulation

By on July 18, 2009 5:36:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Like any PC Gamer, I'm always hungry for good games - unfortunately it seems that developers aren't able to keep up with the demand for quality titles. While this isn't always a bad thing, as it gives us more time to appreciate what we do have and to replay our old favourites, I often find myself staring at my computer wondering what to play because, frankly, sometimes I don't want to play a multiplayer game and much more like to lose myself in grand single player adventure! I can't claim to have played all of the classics across the years, however it's a very safe bet that I've played the majority of them. So, after fishing around the bowls of the internet for games I either hadn't heard of or had forgotten about, I found a previously untapped well of quality titles.

Enter the Playstation.
Back in the day, I was a Nintendo 64 kinda guy; Goldeneye 007 and The Legend of Zelda were my bread and butter, and games like Banjo-Kazooie always bring back fond memories (and catchy tunes!). It seems, however, that I completely overlooked the power of my modern computer which is capable of handling Playstation and even Playstation 2 titles with ease! A friend of mine suggested that if I wanted to play some quality games, grab a Playstation Emulator and grab the games off of ebay. So, I went shopping and walked away with a bag of bargins; Chrono Cross (!), Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX, Resident Evil 2 and so on. For a mere AU$50 I've got enough quality entertainment to keep me busy until the next Elder Scrolls. Maybe.

Anyway, after some self-educating and a some curse words, my Playstation Emulator now handles all of my semi-new Playstation titles and as an added bonus the games look 100 times better than they ever did on their original platform! I hooked up my wired Xbox 360 controller and I've spent most of today losing myself in Chrono Cross.

Has anyone else emulated games like these before - I'm not interested in Pirated ones - and if so could you recommend me any titles? Seems like I missed some very, very good games!

+115 Karma | 90 Replies
July 26, 2009 10:49:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sorry for the double-post, but what emulator are you using? I've always found it to be a bit of a pain to get one up and running, and would very much appreciate it if you could email me a completed emulator (and yes, I already have hard-copies of games and a PS1, as well as a PS2)

July 27, 2009 12:17:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Shoot me a private message, and I'll send back all the details. Keep in mind I can only tell you where to find the plugins and the emulator, the BIOS isn't something I can help you with.

Also, keep in mind my computers specs as the plugins I use are designed to maximise graphical excellence:

Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad Core 2.4ghz
Geforce 8800GTX, Factory Overclocked 1024mb
2gb DDR2 833mhz)
500gb Barracuda SATA2 HDD

After maxing out what was possible, the games - even the pre-rendered backdrops - look amazing. However, they still only manage to pull in a 45FPS average. If your computer isn't around the same as mine, you might need to acquire differnt graphical plugins to what I use.

July 27, 2009 1:39:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh yes, how could I have forgotten!

Vagrant Story is one of the best PS1 games of all time. However, I must state that it is also disgustingly complex. If you can handle something that has an extremely complex battle system and no tutorial, I would definitely pick this one up. That's what gamefaqs is for anyways.

Edit:

Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver had an excellent narrative with a cool main character, provided you're willing to plow through lots (and I mean, LOTS) of tedious backtracking/boxpushing puzzles.

July 27, 2009 4:50:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ZehDon is not a fan of box pushing 'puzzles'. Nor is he a fan of jumping 'puzzles'.

I've been looking at Vagrant Story and Silent Hill, they were both recommended to me by a friend. Just what the hell is Vagrant Story about and what kind of RPG is it? My friend tried to explain it and got confused.

July 27, 2009 7:29:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh, god. Vagrant Story is...difficult. Think of it as an action RPG, like Diablo, only way, WAY more complicated. Basically, when you attack/cast a spell/etc, it goes into a time stop sequence where you target individual body parts and can then "combo" attacks using the 4 face buttons; if you've ever played Legend of Dragoon, you can probably understand what I'm talking about.

It has a very in-depth item-creation system, and your item choice determines what attacks you can learn and place on the face buttons. Items also grow...not stronger, per se, but more specialized, with each kill. It's been a while since I played it last (will be redownloading it once I locate a disc) but if I remember correctly, it works a little like this.

Let's say there are creature types A, B, and C, with elements D, E, and F.

I kill an AE creature with my brass shortsword. The sword is now better at killing AE creatures, much worse at killing CD creatures, and a little bit worse at everything in between. Ultimately, this sword will only be used for the purposes of hunting creatures who have either type A, or element E. Since you can carry loads of weapons, you can very easily rack up one for each type.

Now I know that sounds like a pain. Hell, I thought it was a pain. But in my opinion, the gameplay definitely makes up for the convoluted mechanics. Just make sure to read a FAQ first.

July 28, 2009 10:16:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh dear god, that sounds overly complicated. I'm hitting up reviews of it now, everyone seems to love it; bit of a cult classic. I'll see what the PAL version is going for on Ebay, if it's not too expensive, I'll pick it up.

July 29, 2009 5:35:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting pseudomelon,
ZehDon, while I know you're more interested in PS1 games, I really should re-iterate: Shadow of the Colossus is a truly awesome game. It's one of the few games out there that told a story in such a way as could not be rendered by a book or movie. If you can handle PS2 emulation on your computer, I highly recommend it.Also, if you can find it on E-bay for $0.99, Machine Head is a game that is so truly awful that it's good.

SoC is one of the most overrated games ever. It doesn't tell any story, because the whole game is just the sentence "Your next giant victim is..." repeated a lot of times. Appart from repetitive gameplay (only the last Colossus is a nice puzzle, the others are mostly: stay in a special place, something happens, do damage to the Colossus, repeat), horrible basic animations, bad camera, framerate problems,...

First game I got and finished for my PS2 and it was totally underwhelming...

July 29, 2009 6:43:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Vicente,

SoC is one of the most overrated games ever. It doesn't tell any story, because the whole game is just the sentence "Your next giant victim is..." repeated a lot of times. Appart from repetitive gameplay (only the last Colossus is a nice puzzle, the others are mostly: stay in a special place, something happens, do damage to the Colossus, repeat), horrible basic animations, bad camera, framerate problems,...

First game I got and finished for my PS2 and it was totally underwhelming...

I expect the reason you did not enjoy SoC may have been your understanding of videogame storylines. Normally, one can expect plot through speeches between characters and obvious actions (i.e., if he's chasing you, enemy). However, SoC leaves you filling in the pieces for yourself; how much of the story you manage to soak in directly relates to how much attention to detail you are willing to put in.

One of the main ways you learn the plot of SoC is by watching your own avatar (perhaps the reason the horse-riding segments were so long?). Everything between the way the boy handles the sword (completely untrained) to the increasing voices upon defeating the Collossi, to the subtle changes in your character's skin tone upon waking up; all of that holds a fragment of the story. It never adds up to a crystal clear picture, but that's what makes it beautiful to many of us.

The actual plotline of the game is fairly standard, and one could even call the Collossi giant walking plot-coupons. However, the methods used to convey the plot are not only interesting, but are something that could only be done in a game; SoC could never have been written as a book or a screenplay. And that's what makes SoC a good game.

July 29, 2009 9:08:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting pseudomelon,

I expect the reason you did not enjoy SoC may have been your understanding of videogame storylines. Normally, one can expect plot through speeches between characters and obvious actions (i.e., if he's chasing you, enemy). However, SoC leaves you filling in the pieces for yourself; how much of the story you manage to soak in directly relates to how much attention to detail you are willing to put in.

For me it's hard to enjoy a game with technical and gameplay flaws that also has a really simple storyline (boy wants to save pretty girl). And more when it has been heralded as one of the greatest things that exist for the PS2.

Quoting pseudomelon,

One of the main ways you learn the plot of SoC is by watching your own avatar (perhaps the reason the horse-riding segments were so long?). Everything between the way the boy handles the sword (completely untrained) to the increasing voices upon defeating the Collossi, to the subtle changes in your character's skin tone upon waking up; all of that holds a fragment of the story. It never adds up to a crystal clear picture, but that's what makes it beautiful to many of us.

There are two different things here:

- Things like the voices, the skin tone: these are just minor cosmetic details. Why the boy skin tone changes but the boy doesn't improve his climbing skills? (given that's the main thing he does in the whole game). Evolving the world and the character is nothing new in games, so maybe you like more SoC because it's more subtle, no idea.

- Things like the "way the boy handles the sword (completely untrained)": this is trying to explain a game/technical flaw or to explain something that doesn't exist. The boy uses his sword perfectly when he stabs the Collossi, he is just unable to use it with his feet on the ground (which doesn't make any sense, and more if you take into account his impressive physical form, archery and riding skills...).

Quoting pseudomelon,

The actual plotline of the game is fairly standard, and one could even call the Collossi giant walking plot-coupons. However, the methods used to convey the plot are not only interesting, but are something that could only be done in a game; SoC could never have been written as a book or a screenplay. And that's what makes SoC a good game.

Honestly, I doubt this. Anything that you said was interesting about SoC storytelling is totally passive and out of the player control, so it could be portrayed perfectly on a film.

July 29, 2009 5:43:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Vicente,

For me it's hard to enjoy a game with technical and gameplay flaws that also has a really simple storyline (boy wants to save pretty girl).

Then, good sir, it is not your game. But to be frank, just about every story on earth has a "really simple storyline", including many of our classics. Ex:

Don Quixote: Dumb guy thinks he is a knight, does stupid things.

1984: The man is keeping us down.

No Country for Old Men: Find money, run away from bad guys.

Final Fantasy (1-99999999999): SAVE TEH WORLD (OK, so Final Fantasy never has a good plot. But you get the idea.)

That doesn't mean that these aren't enjoyable storylines, and they are. The authors' stylizations, and the books' specific concepts (not overall, generic ones like those mentioned above) turn them into enjoyable reads. The same may be said for SoC.

Quoting Vicente,

- Things like the voices, the skin tone: these are just minor cosmetic details. Why the boy skin tone changes but the boy doesn't improve his climbing skills? (given that's the main thing he does in the whole game). Evolving the world and the character is nothing new in games, so maybe you like more SoC because it's more subtle, no idea.

- Things like the "way the boy handles the sword (completely untrained)": this is trying to explain a game/technical flaw or to explain something that doesn't exist. The boy uses his sword perfectly when he stabs the Collossi, he is just unable to use it with his feet on the ground (which doesn't make any sense, and more if you take into account his impressive physical form, archery and riding skills...).

The changes in skin tone and other features on the boy's body show the slaughter of the Collossi as slowly draining away at his life. His climbing skills -do- improve if you know what you're doing, but that's honestly a little rediculous to assume, because nobody really improves at something as rapidly as characters in a videogame.

And stabbing perfectly on the collossi? Err, he grabs it with both hands and shoves. Either one of us could have done the same. As you said, he already has a good form, so raw physical strength is not an issue. He isn't good with the sword because he stole it. The bow and horse most likely belong to him.

Quoting pseudomelon,
reply 8

Honestly, I doubt this. Anything that you said was interesting about SoC storytelling is totally passive and out of the player control, so it could be portrayed perfectly on a film.

If it were a movie, we'd all be as bored with it as you were. Watching someone run up and stab 16 (I think it was 16) giant walking things would be cool at first, but really repetitive. Further, as a player you explore the character in a different way than a moviegoer. If someone stands on his horse in a movie, it's pretty cool, but if you're fiddling around with your controls one day and get your character to stand on his horse, it's an entirely different feeling. "**** YEAH! I CAN STAND ON MY HORSE!"

Ultimately, I think you played through it too much like one plays through any other videogame. And ultimately, I'm sure you think I'm just a retarded fanboy Perhaps we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

July 31, 2009 8:38:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting pseudomelon,

As a spanish guy, my head just blew when I read this summary of Don Quixote

August 1, 2009 1:20:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Vicente,

Quoting pseudomelon, reply 10

As a spanish guy, my head just blew when I read this summary of Don Quixote

Perhaps that one was in poor taste (more insane than dumb, but yes, putting a bucket on your head as armor is rather insane .) But the point remains, I should hope?

August 1, 2009 1:49:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No it doesn't remain, it only shows you really need to read Don Quixote  (you would probably enjoy it with some commentaries about what Cervantes was trying to say and why, it's a very nice book).

August 1, 2009 5:21:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Vicente,
No it doesn't remain, it only shows you really need to read Don Quixote  (you would probably enjoy it with some commentaries about what Cervantes was trying to say and why, it's a very nice book).

I did read it, and loved it. The summary execution exists for the sole purpose of explaining that one may whip up a one-liner summary of any great work, and make it sound terrible. If you've read any of the other books I listed, you might note that they are also great books. I was hardly trying to question Cervantes' writing, and apologise for offending you. Please re-read the post with that in mind.

August 2, 2009 6:30:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm now playing through Ico, and while the camera isn't quite up my cup of tea, the game is vey good. Looking forward to SotC.

August 2, 2009 10:55:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting pseudomelon,

I did read it, and loved it. The summary execution exists for the sole purpose of explaining that one may whip up a one-liner summary of any great work, and make it sound terrible. If you've read any of the other books I listed, you might note that they are also great books. I was hardly trying to question Cervantes' writing, and apologise for offending you. Please re-read the post with that in mind.

You haven't offended me, don't worry But you are the one that said also that SoC has a very simple storyline (which is something impossible to deny, it's as simple as it gets), while Don Quixote is not simple by any means.

But if you want to get back to SoC For example, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to climb a giant monster and then grab with one hand while I stab him perfectly with the other (because if you look at the movement on how he stabs the monster, is pretty good, not like his horrible swordfighting in the ground). But if you want to say that he is untrained with the sword, then, he is also untrained in jumping? (because the way he falls to the ground is totally ridiculous). And don't make me enter in the walk/run animation, the way he gets his sword and bow using the same movement, etc etc.

It's a pitty SoC has those sets of very bad animations when it also has really good ones (usually all the involved with doing anything on a colossus, which are the ones who should show he is untrained, because it's probably the first time he does that). But saying the sword animation is bad because he is untrained is for me trying to search for a meaning in the game that doesn't exist: it's bad because it's bad, like several others animations.

And about the boring film, I never said it would be a good film, but the game can be perfectly made as a film, because it's as linear as it gets. It's so linear, that you even only have one way of killing the Colossi, while in many other games while there's a better way to kill a final boss, the are actions that can help even if they help in a smaller degree. But in SoC it's a plan set in stone: you do exactly this or you won't kill the Colossi. Which is another game problem because sometimes because of game glitches you can climb to some parts in a way you aren't supposed to, and you can't do anything to the Colossi, even if you are more or less in the right place.

But we can agree we disagree I don't think SoC it's a bad game, but it's very far from a masterpiece.

August 2, 2009 6:25:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

But we can agree we disagree I don't think SoC it's a bad game, but it's very far from a masterpiece.

Yeah, let's try to re-rail this thread and a +1 for being a good debater, a difficult task here on the interwebs where anyone can start a flamewar.

Anyway Don, can you summarize your PS1 collection for us so we know not what to suggest?

August 2, 2009 9:20:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have the following PS1 games, some are still being delivered:

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Chrono Cross
Silent Hill
Gran Turismo 2
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Legend of Mana
and possibly Final Fantasy Tactics (waiting to hear back)

I only have Ico at the moment for the PS2, as I've only finished two of those PS1 games and really should get at 'em!

August 2, 2009 11:01:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you're gonna play Chrono Cross, which, don't get me wrong, is an excellent game, do yourself a favor and pick up Chrono Trigger for the SNES, in my opinion a far superior RPG. Good luck finding it though.

Sorry if it's already been mentioned; my memory is terrible.

August 2, 2009 11:14:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

do yourself a favor and pick up Chrono Trigger for the SNES, in my opinion a far superior RPG. Good luck finding it though.

It's currently available for DS.

August 2, 2009 11:30:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Haha, it's funny you should mention that Kryo, I've been trying to hunt down the PAL version for the DS for ages now! It, like it's original version, apparently didn't get a very wide release.

August 2, 2009 11:49:42 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting kryo,

do yourself a favor and pick up Chrono Trigger for the SNES, in my opinion a far superior RPG. Good luck finding it though.

It's currently available for DS.

If you can find it, it was also published for playstation, packaged with Final Fantasy IV under the name Final Fantasy Chronicles.

August 3, 2009 12:00:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ah, Final Fantasy Chronicles is available on Ebay - I remember that, but as I already had Final Fantasy IV remake for the DS I skipped it. I might check it and see if Chrono Trigger was included - thanks!!

August 3, 2009 2:50:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The old Twisted Metal games were fun, but only in multiplayer. If you've got several game pads (or 360 controllers, possibly maybe even PS3 controllers) and several old school friends, they're worth a look.

August 3, 2009 3:07:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nah, most of my mates think I'm crazy for going back to PS1 games when I've got a perfectly functional 360 in my lounge room. Do the emulators do Online Multiplayer?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000282   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.