The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

350ms ping or less wont lag the game

By on July 17, 2009 12:07:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just as the title says, pings under 350 wont lag the game out.

Its my effort to help ppl get more games going, including myself, and stop the hate towards ppl with 280.

Once a guy enter a game I created (no description from where in the world I'm hosting the game, no one would join if I did it) and said to me:

"ffs man, you should never host a game, look at your ping" and left the room.

So, again, 350ms ping wont lag the game.

If you enter a game and every one has pings under 350 and the game lags, it might be the sim speed or the upload speed of some one if bad, not the 280 ping from some guy, don't blame him.

350ms ping or less, wont lag the game, again and again.

Enjoy the game. 

+13 Karma | 82 Replies
July 26, 2009 3:53:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've gotten that too, I got told twice to fix my internet because I was lagging and seemingly the host (My ping was 0) and he yelled, or typed in capitols, demanding I fix my internet.

July 26, 2009 6:30:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Chaos Marine,
I've gotten that too, I got told twice to fix my internet because I was lagging and seemingly the host (My ping was 0) and he yelled, or typed in capitols, demanding I fix my internet.

Your ping to yourself --the one next to your name-- is always 0. The important thing is your ping to other players --the ping next to their names--.

If you have consistantly high pings to other players, then chances are, you are the one with high ping. i.e., if you have something like

You: 0

Player 1: 920

Player 2: 50

Player 3: 250

The problem is player 1.

However, if you have something like

You: 0

Player 1: 500

Player 2: 560

Player 3: 700

Chances are it's on your end.

July 26, 2009 7:15:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A couple days ago I played against a guy from Florida. I was playing in Europe. His ping was 285 or so. I decided to go and the game went well.

I see a ping like that in an FPS game and obviously I'd had said: I'm not going ! .. you know

July 27, 2009 12:39:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't agree complete.

I had games where someone with 200ms ping caused lag. With 350ms people ingame I ALWAYS get lag.

Whats much more problematic is sim speed. There are so many people arround that seem like they use a wooden pc...

It's really annoying to have freezes every second.

Imho is a sim speed display as important as a ping display.

July 27, 2009 4:16:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I too get a ton of lag if there's one or 2 people above 250 ping.

When i host games i typically like to keep everyone <225 ish (only b/c of personal preference and past problems) I basically pulled that number from what i usually see happen, that's all

I've also noticed that people will immediately kick someone that starts with a HIGH ping without giving them a chance to settle to a lower ping, which i think is obviously unfair to those people that run decent machines but just ping HIGH while they're connecting.

:Just throwing caution to the wind.  Not trying to incite anything:

July 27, 2009 6:35:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

When i host games i typically like to keep everyone <225 ish (only b/c of personal preference and past problems) I basically pulled that number from what i usually see happen, that's all

Fair enough.  In my personal experience, <350 and I'm ok.  Obviously, as some have pointed out, there are quite a few factors outside of ping that result in horrible connections/lag.  I'm pretty sure this post is just about reminding people that a ping of <350 does NOT necessarily indicate lag.  Someone with 90 ping could lag as well for other reasons. 

I've also noticed that people will immediately kick someone that starts with a HIGH ping without giving them a chance to settle to a lower ping, which i think is obviously unfair to those people that run decent machines but just ping HIGH while they're connecting.

I've seen that too.  Their reason is typically that "when they see a high ping like that and it settles, it typically lags the game."  Which might be true in their experience (of the 3 or so games that it happened to them in before they decided to start booting on a regular basis).  So, its all based on experience - and in mine, its not usually the guys with 220-350 ping that cause me issues.  Its the people with 90 ping to me who have connection issues, download things while playing, etc.  All that said, I've met and enjoyed playing with several people because I was willing to give games a shot that had a little under <350 pings.  Nothing incited at all. 

July 27, 2009 6:51:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just an FYI I am one of those pople who almost always has my ping in the 1k range when i join a lobby.  It settles to where it should be usually within a seconds, but it ALWAYS settles. 

I have never had an issue in game with lag with myself being the cause. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000844   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.