350ms ping or less wont lag the game

By on July 17, 2009 12:07:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Kokujin

Join Date 05/2009
+13

Just as the title says, pings under 350 wont lag the game out.

Its my effort to help ppl get more games going, including myself, and stop the hate towards ppl with 280.

Once a guy enter a game I created (no description from where in the world I'm hosting the game, no one would join if I did it) and said to me:

"ffs man, you should never host a game, look at your ping" and left the room.

So, again, 350ms ping wont lag the game.

If you enter a game and every one has pings under 350 and the game lags, it might be the sim speed or the upload speed of some one if bad, not the 280 ping from some guy, don't blame him.

350ms ping or less, wont lag the game, again and again.

Enjoy the game. 

Locked Post 82 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 17, 2009 12:10:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

True but only if your upload rate can keep up.

July 17, 2009 12:13:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thank you Kokujin, i totally agree.

July 17, 2009 12:28:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

People are just too ignorant. There are even some who don't wanna play with anyone that has over 60ms.

I kept getting kicked over and over in one US game (I'm from the EU), joining each time to try to explain that my 240ms isn't going to lag the game.

Finally they let me stay, and indeed it didn't lag...

Nice name btw Kokujin. From the "dark" side, and living in Japan?

July 17, 2009 12:47:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Pings under 250 won't lag the game either.  It may be true that you can push that to 350, but why should I take that chance when I can simply replace that player with someone else?  It has been my experience over the course of several 10s of games that the higher the ping, the more likely lag will be introduced or a player will drop.  Further, there are any number of reasons that a player can reach a 350 ping other than distance.  Just yesterday, a person was simultaneously d/l games from steam while playing DG.  He had a 350 ping and the game went to a crawl until he figured out the issue.  Should have just punted him from the lobby.

I shudder to think what a 5v5 with everyone's ping at 350 would be like.

July 17, 2009 12:48:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting comanoodle,

Nice name btw Kokujin. From the "dark" side, and living in Japan?

LoL, I didn't know what the name ment until a friend told me.

I used to play L5R (Legends of the Five Rings - card game) and it was a character there by this name, here is a link:

Kokujin

Make your own conclusions

July 17, 2009 12:54:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Melric,
Pings under 250 won't lag the game either.  It may be true that you can push that to 350, but why should I take that chance when I can simply replace that player with someone else?  It has been my experience over the course of several 10s of games that the higher the ping, the more likely lag will be introduced or a player will drop.  Further, there are any number of reasons that a player can reach a 350 ping other than distance.  Just yesterday, a person was simultaneously d/l games from steam while playing DG.  He had a 350 ping and the game went to a crawl until he figured out the issue.  Should have just punted him from the lobby.

I shudder to think what a 5v5 with everyone's ping at 350 would be like.

Check my game list. My last game last night, 4x4 Levi. My ping was 270-310 with every1, my upload speed is 256Kbps (nothing great eh?) Ask anyone that played the game if it lagged (course not). Game lenght was catas both sides, and I only played because Shade (another poster and player of DG) backed me up.

You should not take chances, but you're not taking chances when ppl has 350 ping or less. Its just the right thing to do. If you think that some1 is downloading something instead of living in Brazil (my case), ask, b4 you start any game: "No1 torreting right? Rdy up, lets play" Thats how you don't take chances, and not by kicking any1 with 250+ ping.

Furthermore, I know I prolly will lag a 5x5 game, or a Mandala game, so I wont join those games, comon sense also prevails.

July 17, 2009 1:31:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Those pings don't cause lag. And that game should've ended before priests, but they pushed us back after getting the Citadel to 3k health

July 17, 2009 4:47:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Played 1 game with a person with a 450 ping.  That game lagged.  Play regularly with Kassaum and Kokujin at 270-320 ping with no lag.  Played with stacked actor at 370 ping with no lag.  I think 350-370 is a reasonable max to have a lag free game, but like any game (even with a 70 ping), someone with low upload bandwidth or maxing out their up/downstream through bit torrent, etc, doesn't matter. 

The host can always boot in the lobby, but just be aware that people with approx 350 pings DO NOT indicate you will have a laggy game.  Personally, if I'm hosting and someone has a concern, I make it clear that i have no problem if they want to quit within the allowed 3 minutes and I'll just drop the game.  I've done this on multiple occasions and have only had to drop 1 game due to lag.  I'd say, give it a shot and see if you have issues.  There's not much point in arguing for the reasons above (eg my point about ping is moot if someone in the game doesn't have good upload or is losing their bandwidth somewhere else), but hopefully consider this a PSA - you can still have a lag free game with mutliple individuals have 350 pings. 

July 17, 2009 8:02:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

350 is the technically the max ping limit but realistically few people have that stable of a connection to trust 330-350 for a lag free game. Can you have a lag free game with people as high ping as that? yes.

I generally true to keep people below 300 if possible because that is the avg highest ping I find when connecting to people around the world.

July 17, 2009 8:04:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I joined a game that gunslinger bara was playing with 2 of his gunslinger mates - vs me and 3 randoms. They let me in, even though my ping was about 350 to all of them. It worked with no issues.

From what I have noticed lately, it is people unable to keep a sim speed of 6 or above that lag the game, unless the ping gets over 400...

July 18, 2009 12:15:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's the Europoeans who kick players at the drop of a hat and I doubt this post is going to convince them otherwise.  I've been kicked for 180 ping numerous times in EU games.

July 18, 2009 1:15:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I kid you not in one euro game I had about 220 ping and they all complained.  I said it's not an FPS and they said "it's not chess either."  That portion of the community has been very frustrating.

July 18, 2009 1:18:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pings above 150 are more likely to lag the game.  period.  kthxbai.

July 18, 2009 1:26:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sly_Squash,
pings above 150 are more likely to lag the game.  period.  kthxbai.

Disagree.  Where'd that magic number come from, btw? Why not choose "pings above 70 are more likely to lag the game."  I'm sure that statement is even more valid based on your logic...

July 18, 2009 1:36:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,

Disagree.  Where'd that magic number come from, btw? Why not choose "pings above 70 are more likely to lag the game."  I'm sure that statement is even more valid based on your logic...

Yes.  Pings above 70 are more likely to lag the game than pings even lower.  ~150 is a decent lower bound for a "safe" threshhold.

My logic is presented in this thread.

July 18, 2009 1:40:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

it is true that a ping of 280 doesnt lag the game often, but the occurence is much higher. ive played games where everyone has a good sim speed, good ping, and yet for some reason the game would still have lag spikes, there is no magic number but even if the game lags a little at 280, your probably waiting longer in the lobby than time lost from lag.

July 18, 2009 2:09:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes.  Pings above 70 are more likely to lag the game than pings even lower.  ~150 is a decent lower bound for a "safe" threshhold.

My logic is presented in this thread.

How about you just write a synopsis or copy/paste it the replies you're most proud of.

July 18, 2009 2:28:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nothing in that thread to present a case FOR kicking that I can see... More evidence to support playing with <350 pings...

July 18, 2009 2:39:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting landzin,
it is true that a ping of 280 doesnt lag the game often, but the occurence is much higher. ive played games where everyone has a good sim speed, good ping, and yet for some reason the game would still have lag spikes, there is no magic number but even if the game lags a little at 280, your probably waiting longer in the lobby than time lost from lag.

Upload speed couses lag that can't be seen in game, looking at the War Score stuff. I know I cant play 5x5 bc my upload aint that good, BUT, some ppl think they can play 3x3, when they actualy can't (not enought upload speed). Doesnt matter if he lives in the same building as the rest of the players in a particular game, it will lag, no matter the ping, no matter the sim speed. Its not the highest ping that will lag a game (if its under 350), its the upload speed.

Pings Under 350ms wont lag the game, period.

July 18, 2009 2:41:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This tread its not about ask if <350ms will lag.

This is a fact, it wont. (another stuff may cause lag and you can blame it on ping, but its not true)

This serve for information purpose, I dont think is a discussion.

<350 dont lag.

July 18, 2009 2:50:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Obscenitor,

How about you just write a synopsis or copy/paste it the replies you're most proud of.

How about you take a networking class?

Read the thread.  CTRL+F my replies if you're so lazy; there aren't that many of my posts in there.  To further save time, skip the nonsense about human reaction times; the person who mentioned it ultimately admitted it was off topic anyway.

July 18, 2009 2:54:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How about you take a networking class?
So that's your synopsis?  Very insightful, I can tell you must have really changed a lot of minds.

July 18, 2009 2:59:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Imported Sly's logic

Quoting Sly_Squash,
Umm... if playing with people halfway around the world isn't what causes MP games to lag, wtf do you think does?  And don't give me some bs about "netlag"...

Playing with people in the same geographical location is one of the best ways to ensure a smooth, quality gaming experience.  Period.

Aussies, play with aussies if you don't want lag the rest of us down.  High ping does make a difference.  If you have any background in networking at all you know that the speed of light simply isn't all that fast when we're talking global RTT's.

That said, some of us Americans are kind hearted enough to let you play with us even though you generally lag our games down.  We're just swell guys you know.  Feel free to thank us when we let you into our games.

Should be: Playing with people under 350ms ping is one of the best ways ....

Well, no1 is perfect.

July 18, 2009 3:03:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Obscenitor,

How about you take a networking class?So that's your synopsis?  Very insightful, I can tell you must have really changed a lot of minds.

I refuse to repeat myself.  Deal with it.

Quoting Kokujin,

Should be: Playing with people under 350ms ping is one of the best ways ....

True, topics are close but not identical.  350 ping (in general) vs. 350 ping (due to geographical location). 

Quoting Kokujin,

Well, no1 is perfect.

Dunno what you mean by this.

July 18, 2009 3:06:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sly_Squash,

True, topics are close but not identical.  350 ping (in general) vs. 350 ping (due to geographical location). 

Could u elaborete a little more, u lost me

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001407   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.