Fun game, but ruined by the community IMO

By on July 13, 2009 2:33:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Prinkster

Join Date 04/2009

Just got done playing a 5v5 on Zikurat.  The game was going great, until a player (posermcgee if you're curious) just started commando charging into their base, dying (often with the help of an enemy demigod) and racking up kills + gold for their side.  After doing this about 4 times, he just stopped playing -- went AFK completely.  At least when he was AFK he wasn't suiciding!  This idiocy and griefing obviously cost us the game, as the other team had tons of money to buy equipment with.  From the nature of his comments, it was obvious that he was not just "some n00b" trying to learn -- he was actively sabotaging our game.

Not to mention all the disconnects, rage quitters, etc. that just end the game early.

Love this game, but it's ruined by the community IMO.

Locked Post 59 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 13, 2009 3:00:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Love this game, but it's ruined by the community IMO.

unfortunately this game is multiplayer based and you are going to have to deal with people like this.

besides, there is always singleplayer tournaments for your enjoyment

July 13, 2009 3:18:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There's no chance to change this. ONly if You'll make your own team and play premade games.

July 13, 2009 3:23:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Auros right, there are jerks in every community. Find a group of people who you enjoy playing with and the game becomes a lot better. Luckily, the small Australian community hasn't got a single griefer in it, so I haven't experienced these kinds of players much.

July 13, 2009 3:32:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I recognize that you got screwed over, but at least he went afk INSTEAD of feeding your enemies (you already get this). 

Onto the real topic though... jerks ruining the game for you/us:  here's what I suggest - keep playing as you have been.  Keep making posts in the forum.  Eventually, you ARE going to end up playing with good people.  You'll eventually start finding people that will make a good team (premade) for you.  You won't have to deal with jerks ruining your experience.  Just keep putting some time in.  For instance - you made this post now.  If I see you in one of my games, I'll probably remember your name.   And then, we might play together and I'll add you to my team if I see you having some skills.  Or I might just play with you and help you get better. But bottom line, spend some more time and stick with it.  There are still quite a few jerks out there, but not all of us are. 

But on the other side, many in the community frown on calling other people out by making a post all about it.  I suppose you didn't do that exactly, but you cited a specific individual.  I'd say, just stay away from that.  You won't win any friends that way, especially if you are just citing 1 instance of that person being a jerk and not really backing it up with a game record, etc. It's not necessary and just makes us (me) think that you had to deal with some ass and now you are complaining to everyone about it. 

And I'll add - most of the friends I have made in this game (though not all), have been as a direct result of my forum posts and us then playing a game sometime after. 

July 13, 2009 3:36:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,
Luckily, the small Australian community hasn't got a single griefer in it, so I haven't experienced these kinds of players much.

Awesome! 

July 13, 2009 4:07:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you told me, 15 years ago, that there would be drama involved with video games I would have laughed in your face....who's laughing now you ask? Those damn dirty kittens!

edit: I'm not saying anybody is whining or anything, I'm just talking about most multiplayer games. Hugs for everyone!

July 13, 2009 4:17:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just be glad you don't play DOTA.

July 13, 2009 6:29:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Itchy is right. DotA (being dominated by more youthful players) has a lot more of such kinds of anti-social behaviour. Bad mouthing is in almost every game. There was even this once my own teammate decided that we were not worth playing with, and started rushing into enemy territory and dropping all his recipe gear (the high end stuff) before letting himself get killed.

It's just atrocious, but there is nothing stopping him from doing this, unless the community itself just takes the "law" into their own hands, in the form of the ban list. However, as one would expect, power in the hands of those who aren't responsible enough to handle it leads to chaos. You have people maintaining a long running list of banned players for immaterial reasons like if someone acted against the ban list owner's wishes. The ban list was also used as a threat to enforce whatever they wish to. It all became totally meaningless. They did try a "good-list" though but I'm not sure how it worked out.

As much as I liked DotA, the community there isn't worth going back to. If I ever returned to playing DotA, it'll only be for my own old DotA buddies.

July 13, 2009 6:39:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ItchyDustbin,

My guess is you guys only play pubs, allstars or dota league.

From my experience i know that dota has a good community! if you know where you should be and what your lvl is.

There are tons of good leagues/inhouse clans in dota such as DCE, IHCS, DI which all focus on a particular point, like fun inhouse games with way beyond pub skill (dce) IHCS where you can play clanwar like games with teamcaptains and for the more community involved, very mannered players with some skill there is dota invite.

Now if we just give this game some time and let the community come around to creating their own leagues, Surely the good players will stay. I myself have already given this some thought and was thinking of creating a community/inhouse clan for Europe Demigod players with an IRC channel of sorts with a "password" or so to all the games hosted by the community.

It will get rather hard to check how good some1 is but this will come when the community becomes somewhat more known, the players host/play more games within the community, this creates overall people knowledge and by the time we seem fit, the community that had grown could become more skillbased by having people request others and having a couple "vouchers" or so say "yes hes bad" or "no hes good enough".

Obviously everything comes with penalties, such as leaving, disconecting, feeding etc. manners should not be the biggest issue but obviously IS gonna be somewhat looked at, you don't have to be friendly to every1 but your not suposed to go around calling every1 fucking retards, noobs etc.

I will be starting a topic on my own thoughts of creating such a league for demigod shortly.

July 13, 2009 6:56:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting nickya66,

Quoting ItchyDustbin, reply 7Just be glad you don't play DOTA.

My guess is you guys only play pubs, allstars or dota league.

From my experience i know that dota has a good community! if you know where you should be and what your lvl is.

There are tons of good leagues/inhouse clans in dota such as DCE, IHCS, DI which all focus on a particular point, like fun inhouse games with way beyond pub skill (dce) IHCS where you can play clanwar like games with teamcaptains and for the more community involved, very mannered players with some skill there is dota invite.

Public matches are generally a games community, not private leagues or inhouses.

July 13, 2009 7:11:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Luckily i know your dead wrong, communities make games like dota, they detirmine some1's skill, manners etc.

I may have mentioned dota league as pub, but its a league, a community and a Very big one, one that might be bigger then just pubs therefor they have alot of influence on what icefrog does to the game

The same goes for ANY game with balancing issues! the devs will probably listen to the biggest voice! but when the good players mention things about balance in intervieuws or so, or big communities whine about it publicly then there will be attention on that point!

Why do you think they finally nerfed necrolyte, storm and all the overpowered heroes, why do you think TC got his nerf the very version after the one it got released in.

Communities make the ballance, believe it or not

July 13, 2009 7:57:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I myself have already given this some thought and was thinking of creating a community/inhouse clan for Europe Demigod players with an IRC channel of sorts with a "password" or so to all the games hosted by the community.

why only europe? why not create an elite league for everyone !

July 13, 2009 8:53:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

cause there will be connection issues with america/asia from europe

I would love nothing more but american ppl in a europe league, it teaches new builds etc. but its just seriously not managable laggwise i think, there would be exeptions but that wouldn't be enough i think

But i would also be very open to trying!

July 13, 2009 10:30:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting nickya66,
cause there will be connection issues with america/asia from europe

I would love nothing more but american ppl in a europe league, it teaches new builds etc. but its just seriously not managable laggwise i think, there would be exeptions but that wouldn't be enough i think

But i would also be very open to trying!
I play with European players all the time. Heck, I've played with Israeli and European players in the same match.

July 13, 2009 2:13:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm also finding rude players can be an issue.  I'm a noob and freely admit it.  In the first minute of a 4v4 game, I cap 2 flags as Rook and setup towers to defend and back off from 2 demigods coming my way.  The towers slow them down and my teammate just arriving on the scene as Sedna insults me and tells me to fight.  I'm out of mana and say so, but go ahead and see if I can get a few slaps in before running (I shouldn't have, but thought *maybe* I could still make it out since I wasn't alone).  Of course I get ganked (UB + Regulus), while trying to run, even tho rude Sedna provided a little health.  Sedna didn't fight... at least I didn't notice, if she did.

I avoid saying anything bad, but say something to him to see if he will stop being so rude and he responds with even more profanity.  I apologized to ALL, explaining that my teammate is being rude and that I was dropping from the game.  Really too bad, since it seems like it takes at least 3 or 4 tries to get a game going without someone losing connectivity in the first minute or 2 (that's REALLY gotta be improved a LOT).

I've got mixed feelings on this one, as I really didn't want to drop, since I know how much that ruins a game, but I wasn't going to be doing well with a jerk on the team that was shooting profanity my way.  What did HE do in the first minute of the game but walk up to the 2nd tower I capped and insult me and goad me into getting myself killed?  I can't abide by rude people and I hope I find some more of you great people to play with.  Only 1 of my 7 or so games has had a jerk like this, and most folks have been quite helpful with tips and advice, so I'm not saying the game is plagued by problems with the community, yet, but wanted to share my experiences from just a little while ago.

-Zen

July 13, 2009 8:54:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZenCow,
I'm also finding rude players can be an issue.  I'm a noob and freely admit it.  In the first minute of a 4v4 game, I cap 2 flags as Rook and setup towers to defend and back off from 2 demigods coming my way.  The towers slow them down and my teammate just arriving on the scene as Sedna insults me and tells me to fight.  I'm out of mana and say so, but go ahead and see if I can get a few slaps in before running (I shouldn't have, but thought *maybe* I could still make it out since I wasn't alone).  Of course I get ganked (UB + Regulus), while trying to run, even tho rude Sedna provided a little health.  Sedna didn't fight... at least I didn't notice, if she did.

I also play Rook, and he handles a little different to other Demigods due to his lack of speed. I find it best to make my way to my lane, and stay put. Let the speedier Demigods gett he flags. As Rook, my flag captures are always the lowest on the board - however I always take the awards for Creep Kills and Buildings.
Instead of putting down both towers right away, put down one and wait and see what the enemy is going to do. If there is only one Demigod on their way, place down the second tower towards their side of the lane - if there are two Demigods, place the second tower closer to your side. This provides you with the support you need, where you need it.
If you're playing Tower Rook, you need to realise that - early game at least - all you can do it slap your enemies because you don't have any additional abilities. Lure your enemies into your towers and slap them there. A slow, damaged Rook is a nice big target the enemies like to go for, so use that to your advantage. Don't be afraid to ask your Team mates for help if you need it.
Also, if you see two Demigods coming towards you, begin pulling back right away. In a 2v1, unless your artifact stacking or your enemies are damaged, the odds of winning are very, very small.

Quoting ZenCow,
I avoid saying anything bad, but say something to him to see if he will stop being so rude and he responds with even more profanity.  I apologized to ALL, explaining that my teammate is being rude and that I was dropping from the game.  Really too bad, since it seems like it takes at least 3 or 4 tries to get a game going without someone losing connectivity in the first minute or 2 (that's REALLY gotta be improved a LOT).

I wouldn't have left. The AI which replaced you would have fed the enemy team, and so the game was probably remade. Yes, you were being insulted, but you learn a lot more from a game where you're losing than you do from a game when you're winning. Sticking around might have helped you develop your play style a little better.
What connectivity problems are you seeing? I don't experience any, so perhaps there is an issue on your end whichI might be able to help solve?

Quoting ZenCow,
I've got mixed feelings on this one, as I really didn't want to drop, since I know how much that ruins a game, but I wasn't going to be doing well with a jerk on the team that was shooting profanity my way.  What did HE do in the first minute of the game but walk up to the 2nd tower I capped and insult me and goad me into getting myself killed?  I can't abide by rude people and I hope I find some more of you great people to play with.  Only 1 of my 7 or so games has had a jerk like this, and most folks have been quite helpful with tips and advice, so I'm not saying the game is plagued by problems with the community, yet, but wanted to share my experiences from just a little while ago.

I can understand your situation, and it's never nice being in a game with people who aren't being nice. However, it's really just something you have to work through; thick skin is something all internet dwellers need to develop.

July 16, 2009 4:54:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I also agree completely with the sentiment that rude players make the game no fun to play.  If someone on your team isn't doing so well, I think it's perfectly fine to give them some tips or pointers (stay away from dgs for now, kill some mooks to level up, run when you see reg he kills you) etc.  This, however, is different than the way lots of the players seem to deliver advice.  RUN N00B is not a helpful suggestion.

I've also noticed a special brand of person who plays DG: the one who can do no wrong.  I was just playing a game where a Sedna on our team got trapped, through no fault of her own, by all three enemy DGs and died.  This was a good ten minutes into the game, but the third player on our team immediately types something along the lines of "DON'T DIE N00B."  It was the first death!  Not such a big deal.  Anyway, that same flamer then chases an enemy Erebus behind two towers and gets zapped and dies -- and then blames me for running away as TB with half health and no mana.  The kicker?  This guy isn't some pro -- he barely has over 50% win record.

It just saddens and frustrates me to see that this game, which is so fun to play, is full of people who don't have common courtesy and respect for others.  I know this is a problem with online games in particular, but lots of other online communities have much less trouble with this kind of thing.

July 16, 2009 6:01:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you don't have thick skin and get riled up so easily over a bunch of text from anonymous nobodies/strangers spitting vitriol you should not be playing online games period. Blame the liberals and the single mother households who raised all the pu$$y gamers you see today. Its like this in every online community from mmorpgs to Call of duty.

Well, maybe not sims.... anybody here play that?

July 20, 2009 1:20:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting vexerz,
Blame the liberals and the single mother households who raised all the pu$$y gamers you see today.

Congratulations Vexerz, you just proved the point.  Your trollish attempt at attention highlights the main problem with this game: no accountability for being a douchebag.   What Stardock needs to do is put some multiplayer data IN GAME (like records, ratings) along with number of drops or other pertinent information.  Having this information be highly visible in the multplayer lobby would give players the ability to find players that are enjoyable.  Being able to add players to our friends' list IN GAME would also be highly worthwhile.

If you guys are adding this now, awesome.  Please put +1 to Douchebaggery for Vexerz from me.

July 20, 2009 4:10:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This game has a community worse than DoTA now that I think about it, half the forums are sucking up to the devs and the other half are complaining about anyone utilising teamwork in a team-based game.

July 20, 2009 4:16:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ItchyDustbin,
This game has a community worse than DoTA now that I think about it, half the forums are sucking up to the devs and the other half are complaining about anyone utilising teamwork in a team-based game.

You know Stardock is the publisher, not the developer, right? GPG is the developer, and last time I checked no one is sucking up to them.

July 20, 2009 5:56:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And the only complaints about "teamwork" that i see on the forums, are the ones about "hidden" premade teams posing as a random group, just to trash noobs

July 20, 2009 6:40:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree with the two posts above mine, which disagree with ItchyDustbin's post.

Even if Dustbin's post were true, why would sucking up to devs or complaining about utilizing teamwork equal a worse community than one in which anyone who isn't 'pro' is ruthlessly insulted and ostrasized?  (Hell, according to a friend of mine who really likes DotA, they are overall 'jerks' (censoring myself) to each other, too.)

So...brown-nosers (who don't even get any benefits from the brown nosing) and some level of whining is worse than a community where everyone seems to hate each other and has no qualms about making that hate known through a stream of foul language?

July 21, 2009 6:21:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting lukasbradley,

Quoting vexerz, reply 18Blame the liberals and the single mother households who raised all the pu$$y gamers you see today.
Congratulations Vexerz, you just proved the point.  Your trollish attempt at attention highlights the main problem with this game: no accountability for being a douchebag.   What Stardock needs to do is put some multiplayer data IN GAME (like records, ratings) along with number of drops or other pertinent information.  Having this information be highly visible in the multplayer lobby would give players the ability to find players that are enjoyable.  Being able to add players to our friends' list IN GAME would also be highly worthwhile.

If you guys are adding this now, awesome.  Please put +1 to Douchebaggery for Vexerz from me.

Along with the ad hominem give some supporting statements as to why this is a main problem to this game. I disagree that people being mean in this game without accountablility is the 'main problem' as you put it. The main problems are mentioned in the Frogboy looking forward to Epoch3 post.

I'm a douchebag yes, and I'd take a douchebag thats good in a team game over a kind and polite player on my team that sucks.

July 21, 2009 9:20:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting vexerz,
I'm a douchebag yes, and I'd take a douchebag thats good in a team game over a kind and polite player on my team that sucks.

These things are not mutually exclusive.  You can be a good player, AND be polite.  Or better yet, just be quiet.  Don't say anything.  Your douchebaggery only takes away from good play.  Event if you are radically good at the game, no one will respect you for it, because no one will get past your mouth.  Other than 13 year olds who think the mere use of the word "pussy" is entertaining.

By being a douche, you're ostricising the players to which you are being douchey.  If new players have a bad experience as soon as they start, many won't come back. Players who act like you do are slowly killing the community.  There are other games out there that DO have good communities, and similar experiences.

The best gamers in the world are class acts because they are trying to grow the sport.  Look at Johnathan Wendel.  He could treat everyone like trash and still beat them, but he doesn't.  There is more respect to be gained by being a class act.

Just because you're online and anonymous doesn't mean you should be a douche.  I'm quite certain you don't act like this in real life.  Ask yourself... REALLY ask yourself... why you act this way.  What in your real life itches away at you so badly that you need to use something virtual to vent?

I know you won't do this, and I know this won't make a dent in your behavior.  But since the designers didn't add common functions to the game (ignore player, add friend, etc) to allow for community building, the point should be made.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000609   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.