The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

I’m back.

By on July 8, 2009 3:40:37 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

image Vacations are always over too fast.

Ever wondered why games don’t tend to be released in the Spring or Summer? Besides the Winter being better for retail, the other thing, at least in software that I’m beginning to see is that it’s harder to get updates out quickly because that’s when people tend to go on vacation.  So it’s definitely been a slog getting updates out the door these past few weeks.

It’s just as well because as games evolve, the needs of the game community change.  Here are some of the things that have risen high on the list of things to add into Demigod in future updates:

1. I’d like to see a randomize teams in custom games. That is, players press a button and when the game starts, the teams are mixed up.  There is definitely a growing issue about “pre-mades” vs. “random”.  We will have to talk to Gas Powered Games to see what can be done without blowing up the budget but I think this is an issue that is needed.

2. I also think that clans/groups are probably going to need to be moved up ahead of mod support. Currently v1.2 is looking at modding as a major focus. But I’m curious to hear what you guys think about this because I think modding, as important as it is, may not be as important as making it easier for groups to play together.  The pre-made issue wouldn’t be so obnoxious if it were pre-mades vs. pre-mades.  Again, the trick here is to do this without blowing up the budget.

3. More demigods. This is a topic that comes up on every call with Gas Powered Games. Right now, they’re focusing on finishing up the demo but getting some sort of pipeline of new demigods is something we think is critical. 

4. The freaking stats.  While this would probably be #1 on my personal list, I’m painfully aware that I’m in the minority on this.  Nevertheless, abusing my position here a bit I assigned part of our software group to get in there and nail down the stupid stats.  I’ve come to understand that the situation is a lot harder than it would seem (at least intuitively).  But not to be a bastard, I don’t really care if it’s “complicated”. If I win, it better bloody show up on my record. 90% of people probably don’t care but I personally think the 10% who do care are crucial to the game’s long term on-line viability. 

Now, this is by no means a complete list. Replays, Rematches, and lots of other things are on the list for a v1.2 which we are negotiating with GPG.   But these are the kinds of things that I think are pretty crucial in my opinion.

+897 Karma | 159 Replies
July 9, 2009 7:49:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

oh yea i forgot to mention. i want 5v5 to be realistic, even with a crappy connection! why does this always get overlooked?

July 9, 2009 9:20:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Break the bank?

Breaking the bank would have been everyone who purchased the game who has crashed(back to desktop) to seek a refund.

Thanks

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/358387

July 9, 2009 9:43:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1. I’d like to see a randomize teams in custom games. That is, players press a button and when the game starts, the teams are mixed up. There is definitely a growing issue about “pre-mades” vs. “random”. We will have to talk to Gas Powered Games to see what can be done without blowing up the budget but I think this is an issue that is needed.

FAN-FRIGGIN-TASTIC!!!

Thank you for always listening to your community.

July 9, 2009 10:23:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Bug fixes!!!

July 9, 2009 1:50:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Welcome back mr. Frogboy

July 9, 2009 2:11:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Look, heres my view, and everyone who I know personally's view of things.

1) If I click somewhere, my demigod shouldn't be so stupid as to run up and down along a circle wall while my kill gets away. Fix the bugs that should have been fixed in the beta and never been released. "Budget" or not, theres no excuse for pathfinding glitches like this at this point.

2) Stats are stupid. Don't bother with stats, wipe them clean, take them down till you DO have a budget to fix them. Stats prove nothing in this game, and no matter what you do with them, they probably will only be a guestimate of how good somone is, or how frequent they play. It can't take into consideration all factors, such as how good their opponent was. The best WC players weren't judged by their "ranking" they were judged by competeing on live tv. Tournaments that take NO resources but community support and are an accurate judge of "skill".

3) I don't care about "clan support" I just want a way to find a game that isn't a bunch of random people doing random things in somthing that's a team game. Fix pantheon and skirmish so we can get those people in there and out of REAL team games. That would solve ALL the problems with that whole stupid debate of "premade" aka people who play with a team in a TEAM GAME. Give a team skirmish mode as well.

4) Mod support is not worth ANY resources atm, neither is adding new demigods. You're not going to increase this games popularity by adding more demigods and creating more imbalance before we can even get basic pathfinding working. Look at starcraft, they've only added units one time in the game's history, yet 11 years later, the community is in the millions.

Also, true team players of this game aren't going to want to play customized versions of things without them becoming official. This would require ADDITIONAL resources to support.

5) Randomizing teams will do nothing if you solve the above issues.

Another point on that, look at classic dota, lived for 7 years on the same map without ever changing anything but balance hardly. TFT dota only grew based on classic's original foundation of balance and bug free workings that EUL himself made.

All in all, I can summarize my post in bullets:

• Fix bugs that shouldn't be in the game.
  • Get BASIC teamplay functions for a TEAM game. "Clan" support is un-needed and can come later.
  • Stats only promote idiotic choices people make to keep them, they prove nothing ever.
  • Randomization is un-needed.
  • This game is too young for "mod support".

I've disagreed with alot of the decisions your company has made, but I still play. I don't believe you're a man past reason, but theres only so many times I can tell my demigod to do somthing and it not work without giving up on a good game because of its ill prioirites.

July 9, 2009 2:17:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Also, to furthur support my arguement, if you look at reviews of your game, what do you see? High ratings, saying the game is fun and original (this view wont change without mod support). What is usualy their complaint? Your game is full of bugs. So why is the most publicly viewed discredit to this game still not its top priority?

July 9, 2009 2:27:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dev time allocation if I were in charge of GPG...

Maps: 0%

Mods: 0%

Stats: 0%

New DGs: 0%

Bugs: 10%

Team Automatch: 90%. 

July 9, 2009 2:39:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Here's my personal allocation if I were in charge of GPG:

Maps: 0%

Mods: 10%

Stats: 0%

New DGs: 0%

Bugs: 20%

Replays: 70%

July 9, 2009 3:38:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Elemental: 1%

Demigod: 100%

(I really am sorry, just could not resist.)

July 9, 2009 4:32:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Retroromanic,

(I really am sorry, just could not resist.)

I don't think GPG has anything to do with Elemental.

4. The freaking stats. While this would probably be #1 on my personal list, I’m painfully aware that I’m in the minority on this.

Frogboy, I totally agree with you.  I guess I might be in the minority as well.

July 9, 2009 4:51:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting WickedBear,

5) Randomizing teams will do nothing if you solve the above issues.

This is not true.  Although playing Skirmish/Pantheon does most assuredly guaranty a randomized team, it will not allow you to customize the other game options as you would like.

The intent is not to randomize the teams in all custom games - it is to provide an option for the host of a custom game to allow teams to be randomly selected.  There are many of us who would join a game named "4v4 RANDOM TEAMS" in a heartbeat to guaranty not having to worry about team stacking.

That isn't to say there's anything wrong with team stacking ("premades"). I like to play with friends just as much as anyone else.  What is a lot of fun - and this worked really well in Dawn of War - is playing a random teams game with 8 or more friends.  When you get that many people together equally matched and on even footing, it makes for some very fun games and elevates the level of play.

July 9, 2009 5:00:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The intent is not to randomize the teams in all custom games - it is to provide an option for the host of a custom game to allow teams to be randomly selected.  There are many of us who would join a game named "4v4 RANDOM TEAMS" in a heartbeat to guaranty not having to worry about team stacking.

That's my problem with it. I already wait 5-15 minutes to start a game, with more options to slow the game from starting instead of fixing the REAL issues at hand, I may be waiting 20-30 minutes for a game. Without proper matchmaking and being forced to wait even longer, I would probably quit demigod.

July 9, 2009 5:05:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1. Accurate stats/replays

I know this is true separate issues, but I put them both first as I think that it's counter intuitive to release a game that you're hoping is going to be competitive without both of these features in and working flawlessly.  Stats not working properly removes the "bragging rights" incentive to playing which, for most people who would play anything competitively is a pretty big issue.  Replays are a critical part of a community becoming competent enough in a game to be able to play it competitively.  For a competitive player, if you get pwned by someone, you're first instinct is to figure out what that player did so you can learn from it.  Without replays, there isn't a whole lot you can do to accomplish this, so the growth of the player's skill is stunted because they have to resort to trial and error, or someone being gracious enough to post something about it in the strategy forum.

2. Clan support

If you want a game to be competitive you need to allow people to play competitively.  Currently the only way to do this would be to schedule games on a forum which is an awkward way to handle things.  Scheduling games is also inherently flawed in that as the number of people involved grows, the more difficult it will be to match up all of their schedules.  It will be much better to let a team log on when they can and then join a queue.

3. Modding

Not much really needs to be said about this one, the benefits have already been discussed in the thread.

July 9, 2009 5:25:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
If you want a game to be competitive you need to allow people to play competitively. Currently the only way to do this would be to schedule games on a forum which is an awkward way to handle things. Scheduling games is also inherently flawed in that as the number of people involved grows, the more difficult it will be to match up all of their schedules. It will be much better to let a team log on when they can and then join a queue.
Can't you use the Demigod chat room? I mean that's what they do in CSS, you go on IRC and look for another team to play and you use ringers.
July 9, 2009 5:40:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Demigod has been the best competetive online experience I've had since early Guild Wars, albeit more casual due to getting older and having other stuff to worry about.

That said, I've not recommended it yet to anyone I've played other games with due to:

- Bugs.

- No easy way to go team vs team. (2)

- Nonworking stats tracking and idiotic ranking calculations. (4)

So for me, and I think if you wish to build up a large competetive crowd, those are the things that needs getting done first.

After that, I'd rank Replays, then Modding.

As for stuff I feel it'd be safe to not focus too much on:

(3) The game is still fresh, and fairly well balanced. Those complaining about getting bored with the Demigods already aren't going to stay long/help bring in more players just because the 2 promised Demigods gets finished early.

(1) A "randomize teams"-button just won't be of use. Who'd push it? Certainly not the premade teams, which basically means it'd only be for those who're ALREADY creating games of PuGs, and don't really need it...

July 9, 2009 5:42:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Double post

July 9, 2009 5:48:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Gas Powered Games doesn't make Elemental.  They're working on Demigod and Supreme Commander 2.

Elemental is developed and published by Stardock directly.

July 9, 2009 5:51:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Break the bank?

Breaking the bank would have been everyone who purchased the game who has crashed(back to desktop) to seek a refund.

Thanks

Cute. 

Anyway, GPG is aware of the crash problems. For those people who have them, it happens a lot. Other people (most people) it never happens.

The remaining "crash" seems to be due to some weird decompression error from LUA files. That's what's being worked on.

A lot of people assume wrongly that there's a "ton of bugs" (in terms of things that crash teh game) that are universal rather than a single "bug" that occurs on a specific hardware/software configuration.

I can say, the game NEVER crashes on us here and the reason GPG hasn't already fixed it is that it doesn't happen there either.

July 9, 2009 6:01:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Anyway, GPG is aware of the crash problems. For those people who have them, it happens a lot. Other people (most people) it never happens.

Everyone I know that has played the game (5+) has crashed to the desktop by alt tabbing. But honestly, I don't care about that as much as the game play bugs which I see as the common consensus on what everyone really wants fixed. If I'm speaking about somthing different, I apologize.

July 9, 2009 6:30:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yup the alt tab crash is pretty standard but it never happned to me during a game so i dont really xcare if i get booted from the lobby etc...

Just fix the pathing, map and skills bugs an exploits. I dont care if theres a new demigod or a new map, i dont care that someone wants to make their own demigod since frankly im pretty sure no one except him and his 3 friends will use it. That can be done later. Bugs need fixing now.

July 9, 2009 7:21:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

They're working on Demigod and Supreme Commander 2.

well we know which one they prefer working on.. supcom 2 better be a good game.

July 9, 2009 8:32:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting StAcK3D_ActR,

They're working on Demigod and Supreme Commander 2.

well we know which one they prefer working on.. supcom 2 better be a good game.

you will need a supercomputer from the year 3000 to run it ^^

July 9, 2009 8:49:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Actually, if it's based off of the modified Supreme Commander engine that Demigod uses, then it's requires will be slightly above Demigods.

July 9, 2009 9:47:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There also seems to be a bug with sound with some of us since 1.1. The sound cuts out occationally, and my/our Sim speed drops down to -1 to -3 unless we play with the /nosound setting.  That's is a workaround, but playing in complete silence is difficult.  I'm hoping it has something to do with the deompression you mentioned above, so it's all fixed next patch.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000218   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.