The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Locked Post

On the road to version 1.2

By on June 26, 2009 6:37:27 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

image Greetings!

Version 1.1 is out!  A few house keeping things:

We have put up: http://www.demigodthegame.com/opengames.asp for people who want to keep up with the number of people online which includes also the number of current games, open games, and lurkers.

Second, with v1.1 you can kind-of control the AI with the P (ping) key.  Just mouse over where you want the AI to go and it will tend to go there unless it decides there’s a higher priority objective but it works decently (about as well as it does on humans <G>).

Now, with that discussed, let’s talk about version 1.2.

Gas Powered Games is on board to open Demigod up to pretty significant official modding support which I think would be totally awesome. I don’t know if anyone reading this has had a chance to check out the LUA code (scripts). A few mods have already been made but obviously modding right now is a problem because you can’t use them online.  We would solve that by having officially sanctioned mods (players would submit them to DemigodTheGame.com and once accepted would be treated much like extra “Game options”).  I’d be curious to find out if modders could add new units and such.

But what we are particularly interested in doing with v1.2 is nailing down “features” that users want changed or fixed.  So please feel free to use this journal entry as a means to tell us what things you think we could do in v1.2 that would make the game even more fun. Whether that be things I’m already aware of like improved path finding or better queuing up of spell actions or anything else that you feel detracts from the experience.

+912 Karma | 138 Replies
June 28, 2009 10:18:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Please, PLEASE Fix this:

The INSTANT skills/items break your current orders. Threads below beg you to do it.

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/357087

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/356694

June 28, 2009 10:25:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So guys ... I guess it's redicolous to purchase a game as a finished thing of work if the main parts of it for example the multiplayer sections don't work.

people get paid to create a Game. This is nothing new and more important nothing difficult. People call themselves programmer ... I can't understand why ... and i can't understand why they earn money for nothing ...

Some people even support this shit as they say it would only be a beta-game ... HELLO!!! ... do you buy a car with only 2 tires and the other miss because it's a beta-car?? ...

It's a fact that a costumer has to be offered a complete game ... no beta-game ... bugs might be acceptable as I can comprehand them ... this total robbery of the customers money isn't reasonable ...

GASPowered Games had a complete game called "Company of Heroes" which was sold often enough to be a solid base for a new game ... Demigod is only a modded Company of heroes ... so it's more confusing how they could destroy a perhaps 90% perfect running game into this aftermath of bugs ...

One bad programmed part would be forgivalbe but the fact that I can't play even one 3 on 3 without lags,diconnects, serverbugs, graphic mistakes and lobby-bugs is way to much ... considering the fact that I bought a 50€ valued game ...

If I compare other games which even cost less and which are even designed in early times without having a predecessor with Demigod I only think I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!

It's a failure of our modern time ... people accept more and more unfinished things for a higher price than a completed thing would have cost in the past ...

This is so much more than only a buggy game ... it's is the evidence that the whole economy has failed ... and we the costumers are to permissive with faulty things ...

Well those who think this game would be correct the way it is ... HAVE A LOT OF FUN ... try to play and then get unabled to enter the Multiplayer section ... try to start a game and get a fatal error ... try to win as your game just closes itself ...

I came to the conclusion that this foolishness is inacceptable ... I won't appreciate this global robbery no longer ... and I if I only can change ONE game ... then I try ... don't keep your minds in your head ... write if you aren't satisfied!!

ATARI .... STOP MAKING SHIT!!! TAKE YOUR JOB SERIOUS!!

June 28, 2009 11:19:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Demigod is only a modded Company of heroes ... so it's more confusing how they could destroy a perhaps 90% perfect running game into this aftermath of bugs ...

Easily one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.  Request a refund PLEASE!

June 28, 2009 11:48:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So guys ... I guess it's redicolous to purchase a game as a finished thing of work if the main parts of it for example the multiplayer sections don't work.

people get paid to create a Game. This is nothing new and more important nothing difficult. People call themselves programmer ... I can't understand why ... and i can't understand why they earn money for nothing ...

Some people even support this shit as they say it would only be a beta-game ... HELLO!!! ... do you buy a car with only 2 tires and the other miss because it's a beta-car?? ...

It's a fact that a costumer has to be offered a complete game ... no beta-game ... bugs might be acceptable as I can comprehand them ... this total robbery of the customers money isn't reasonable ...

You're right that you can't understand why, and with that kind of attitude you never will. It's been explain in numerous threads the dynamics of being a game developer and trying to make it in this harsh industry. I really can't find it in myself to repeat everything. In short, it's a lot tougher to be a game programmer/run a game studio than a lot of people think. Harsh schedules, lack of resources, increasing difficulty to satisfy gamers, etc.

Your analogy between game development and car manufacture is a stawman argument. The pipeline for producing either one is so different and so are the difficulties involved. All (and I mean all) PC games that get pushed into market require patching and support along the way because that's when the game will get run in the "live" environment, under the countless different configurations of PCs. You can only test them on so many different setups. A car is produced as is can be much more thoroughly tested as the environment in which they will be used are more predictable. Even if I humour you and go along with that analogy, a car with only 2 tires is like a game marketted with half its installation DVD.

GASPowered Games had a complete game called "Company of Heroes" which was sold often enough to be a solid base for a new game ... Demigod is only a modded Company of heroes ... so it's more confusing how they could destroy a perhaps 90% perfect running game into this aftermath of bugs ...

One bad programmed part would be forgivalbe but the fact that I can't play even one 3 on 3 without lags,diconnects, serverbugs, graphic mistakes and lobby-bugs is way to much ... considering the fact that I bought a 50€ valued game ... 

If I compare other games which even cost less and which are even designed in early times without having a predecessor with Demigod I only think I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!

Relic is the one which developed Company of Heroes, not GPG. You're not even making sense anymore. Also, I'd bet Demigod has a much better return policy than Relic.

It's a failure of our modern time ... people accept more and more unfinished things for a higher price than a completed thing would have cost in the past ...

This is so much more than only a buggy game ... it's is the evidence that the whole economy has failed ... and we the costumers are to permissive with faulty things ... 

Well those who think this game would be correct the way it is ... HAVE A LOT OF FUN ... try to play and then get unabled to enter the Multiplayer section ... try to start a game and get a fatal error ... try to win as your game just closes itself ...

I came to the conclusion that this foolishness is inacceptable ... I won't appreciate this global robbery no longer ... and I if I only can change ONE game ... then I try ... don't keep your minds in your head ... write if you aren't satisfied!!

ATARI .... STOP MAKING SHIT!!! TAKE YOUR JOB SERIOUS!!

It's more so a failure on your part to see the situation as it really is. Gamers are nowadays thoroughly spoilt due to the intense competition in the gaming industry. The developer/publisher that best pleases the crowd is the winner and the crowd gets increasing difficult to please thereafter. In order to survive, game developers frequently have to juggle between good software engineering practices and extremely challe nging schedules to complete their work. Software Engineering is an art form in itself and you rush quality at your own risk. Devs try to squeeze time, quality and cost to the best of their ability, you can't have all three.

This picture sums it up rather well:

June 28, 2009 11:56:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I wonder what would happen if we started posting the location (what country) posters come from.  On our end, we see what country each person is.  I think people would be shocked at the % of trolls that come from a particular part of a particular continent.

June 28, 2009 12:04:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Felric,

Quoting Kalil Chernov, reply 6Short version of points 3, 4, and 6: characters with enough gold to buy a pile of artifacts are too strong.
...shocking.

Hey all I'm saying is that those items add far too greatly to the slippery slope effect, making matches lasting longer then 45+ minutes a rarity at best (not counting noob on noob matches ofcoarse). Generally by then stratagey and teamwork in a game designed for just that, are no longer neseccery for the team that is winning because they no longer need skills or potions due to the fact they regen faster then damage is done to them and do more auto attack dps then any skill combo they have.

I believe strategey and teamwork should always be needed, not only from the start of a match but till the very end aswell.

I don't mind so much the ability to become a one man army, but having the ability to become an INVINCIBLE one man army is BAD.

Well, that'd be part of the point.  If one team can hold the other team to a stalemate, while saving 40k more gold, yah, they're probably going to win.

June 28, 2009 12:05:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's more so a failure on your part to see the situation as it really is. Gamers are nowadays thoroughly spoilt due to the intense competition in the gaming industry. The developer/publisher that best pleases the crowd is the winner and the crowd gets increasing difficult to please thereafter. In order to survive, game developers frequently have to juggle between good software engineering practices and extremely challe nging schedules to complete their work. Software Engineering is an art form in itself and you rush quality at your own risk. Devs try to squeeze time, quality and cost to the best of their ability, you can't have all three.

Even more to the point is that people don't realize just how many combinations there are.  I have read complaints of game crashing.  Yet, it we've never seen it. We get zero crashes here.

For all we know, it's some translated string in the German version of the game or god knows what. Or it could be in multiplayer someone with language A with Windows XP playing someone with language B with the beta of Windows 7 and some unknown change in how double byte is treated causes certain messages to crash it. 

Then you have the people (a lot of them) who think the game can somehow control the Internet or other people. I see people blame Demigod for "lag" as if somehow Demigod controls their ping or connections to other people. Or that Demigod can somehow force people to not quit.

My point is that the situation isn't as simple as it appears.  

June 28, 2009 12:07:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If they're going to implemant ranked team automatches I REALLY don't want to be playing the silly game modes like flag capture, forts, dominate, etc.

It would definitely need an option for what kind of game I want.

June 28, 2009 12:23:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Even more to the point is that people don't realize just how many combinations there are. I have read complaints of game crashing. Yet, it we've never seen it. We get zero crashes here.
If an "report error" button was implemented instead of contact support with paste of error > receive .cmd file > execute .cmd > send off demigod report.zip off to support again then maybe you will receive more crashes? Where I work, if a customer has a crash and we can't reproduce it then we either remote control the customer's computer or try to reproduce their environment locally. Point is, we prioritize and try to find a solution. We try to make it easy for the customer.

My point is that the situation isn't as simple as it appears.
No one said it is simple. I for one dont think it is simple. You can make it simpler for yourselves with the example "report error" button. If a certain patch is buggy, perhaps a rollback is in order? There are so many solutions. I am waiting for GPG/SD to understand that all the community wants is for you to write "we are aware of the situation and are working to fix it". Jesus. Continue to blame the gamers/players/countries/whatever. Learn to take responsibility.

June 28, 2009 12:31:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
I wonder what would happen if we started posting the location (what country) posters come from.  On our end, we see what country each person is.  I think people would be shocked at the % of trolls that come from a particular part of a particular continent.

why do you think that we (timbomatic,invisible and venom007) are just german trolls, we are the same customer as others are. instead of offend us you could make a statement if you are currently working to fix the problems with the german version, and how long it takes.  but at the moment we cant play demigod at all, and this is the reason why we are so angry.
June 28, 2009 12:44:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am waiting for GPG/SD to understand that all the community wants is for you to write "we are aware of the situation and are working to fix it". Jesus. Continue to blame the gamers/players/countries/whatever. Learn to take responsibility.

How many times in the forums do we have to write "We are aware of X"?  

But yea, if you want to be rude to us, knock yourselves out. Just don't expect us to participate in the forums. 

Going forward, if you have a problem, contact Atari if you're in Europe or [email protected] if you're in the US.  I know I'm done with you guys.

June 28, 2009 12:44:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes ... rompsen ... my friend is right ... we just don't understan why all these bugs and failures are in the game ... and excusees like it's a beta-version are inacceptable for me and my friend ... CRYTEK a german game developer makes solid games ... and it's unimportant which country we are from ... I don'T want to critizise all ... I should then rather stio gaming ... I just want to tell my appointment on all these failures in the game

June 28, 2009 1:30:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
(i am playing the us version i´ve bought via direct download from impulse... no german version whatsoever) well, as a customer i see that 95% of the games i´ve bought are running just fine! most of them do so out of the box. some need a little balancing, but i see really few games which are as bugged as demigod is. so try to imagine what i, the customer, must conclude! i see most of the developers doing their games fine (for all countries), but a small percentage doesn´t. with this in mind it´s hard to believe that the multiple hardware-constellations or countries are the problem. of course i know that this is not an easy thing to deal with, but others deal with it too... frogboy, you shouldn´t take the complaints here to personal. what you should do is to gather usefull data out of this thread and to realize that people are going mad, cause the really like/love your game, maybe got addicted yet, but get frustrated all the time, cause of the bugs. as a developer you should just ignore anything else. blaming the customer or ethnic races/countries gets you nowhere... or would you rather sell your game in the usa only?! i dont think so. maxxi posted a really nice idea, which should be considered. a report button would get you plenty of intelligence about what is going wrong with the game. maybe a rollback would solve a lot of problems for now, until you know whats going wrong with 1.1.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000454   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.