The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Preparing for Demigod v1.1

By on June 23, 2009 4:12:49 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

Sometime tomorrow we expect to release Demigod v1.1.  This is definitely the biggest update since the initial release of the game. Gas Powered Games has been burning the midnight oil to make a fantastic update!

The full highlights will be released tomorrow but here are a few things:

Team conceding will be in. Random demigod option is in. Updated AI is in. Reduced experience and gold from killing priests and angels is in. Heart of life has been nerfed. Tighter integration with the new online system is in for custom games.

Now, one of the things we read on the forums are suggestions on how to keep the community growing.  Let me touch on that here a bit.

First off, since the connectivity issues have been largely resolved, the number of open games sitting around has dropped dramatically. I’ve seen people post that this means the game must be losing popularity.

Technically speaking, the popularity of a game has no bearing on the # of open games. The # of open games is a function of how long it takes to get a game going. Ideally, a person creates a custom game, it fills up and gets started as fast as possible.

The only change is that now that connectivity actually works right, people can set up games quickly whereas at launch, well, let’s charitably say it took longer to get a game set up…

We are going to put up a page that graphs out the online population so people know when the best times to play are. 

What determines the success of a game online is how many people there are online to play with at a given time. And that number has steadily been going up – at least since connectivity got fixed.

The Road Map

As many of you know, I talk to Gas Powered Games every day.  Now, I have seen it argued that game developers will release a game, put out a patch or two and then abandon it.  I want to assure you that this is not the path for Demigod.  We believe the game needs long-term love and care to keep it growing over time.

While we are pleased to have another sales hit on our hands, we recognize that Demigod is different from other games in that it has the potential to keep selling strongly into the long-term.

This past week we nailed down with Gas Powered Games the plans for Demigod v1.2. The 3 big items are:

• Robust Replay support.
  • Native modding support.
  • Clan support.

We are also discussing passionately the development of more Demigods. GPG has come up with a really cool modding system for Demigod that would practically make mods be very similar to game options in game. It looks pretty sweet.

My 2 cents

Now, speaking just for myself, not even for Stardock here just my 2 cents as a gamer on what Demigod needs to keep growing. If I were the “god” of Demgiod and budget was no concern, this is what we’d see:

1. New Demigod released every 60 days
  2. New map released every 60 days
  3. New favor items added every 30 days
  4. Pantheon and Skirmish experience enhanced to let players choose team joins
  5. Pantheon and skirmish would center around a particular player and add people to that joined game.
  6. Maps that support 1 on 1 games.
  7. Players could select the team size preference in pantheon/skirmish games (from 1 to 5 players).
  8. Ability to grab a group of friends or clan members to get into a game from outside the game.
  9. Native voice over IP.
  10. Significant game play enhancements every 90 days (i.e. some new game element).
  11. A robust way to control who you play with when you’re playing non-competitively.
  12. Continual evolution of balance and game play.

Those are the kinds of things I’d like to see. But budgets are finite of course and resources are more finite still.  Sometimes there is “the guy” who is critical to make something happen but he’s not available to do X right now.  I can tell ya, only a network administrator could even begin to adequately explain what mountains had to be moved in order for us to step in and build, largely from scratch, in 30 days a whole new multiplayer connectivity system that handles direct connect, NAT connect, and international proxy hosting on the fly.  We had to basically take our top developers from across all projects and put them on this project. That is a feat that can’t be easily duplicated (and it was why I was so directly involved because I had to “steal” core developers from Impulse, Object Desktop, WindowBlinds, and Elemental to make it happen). 

So one of the things to bear in mind is that recognizing what needs to be done and being able to do it are often two different things. If sales continue as strongly as they are now, I think we’ll be able to do most of what’s listed up there but only time will tell. Like I said, I’m just speaking for myself and looking at Demigod in a vacuum.  But you can rest assured that we’ll do as many of them as we can and push for GPG to get in as many as they can get in or let us take care of it for them. It’s not as straight forward as it seems though.

I’m a big believer in treating games as assets. They can live long into the future. I played Total Annihilation for years after it was released. I’m sure there are people here who are like me in that way.  Heck, I still code on Galactic Civilizations II’s AI on occasion for enjoyment.

So anyway, version v1.1 is about 24 hours away from release. We’re very excited to see how people like it and we hope it’s the first of many updates.

Locked Post 136 Replies +4
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 23, 2009 6:00:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How's about Random Teams for custom games?  It would be a nice option to have so people don't have to be worried about getting ambushed by premades if they don't want.

June 23, 2009 6:02:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

very encouraging. thanks for the update.

Demigod is ridiculously fun but not yet fully featured. i REALLY hope we can expect to see those additional features go into the game as soon as possible. the game is so good but so badly in need of more polish. 

June 23, 2009 6:05:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

sounds quite promising!

keep up the good work

June 23, 2009 6:11:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ,

But you can rest assured that we’ll do as many of them as we can and push for GPG to get in as many as they can get in or let us take care of it for them.

This. Please consider it.

About the rest, i can't wait for 1.1. Concede option FTW!

Tighter integration with the new online system is in for custom games.  (quotes hate me again)

This i don't understand. Please elaborate. What does it mean?

Anyway, i will not ask for an ETA for new demigods and 1.2 because i know it's futile. I will only say this: please hurry with it. Demigod needs it fast (2 months max, 'till fall), because it was released with so little content and mp features (team join, etc etc), not to mention the 1 and a half month lost on connection fixing. It's not like other games, demigod is a special game that needs special attention in order to survive.

June 23, 2009 6:41:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks to all of you for making such a great game, it just keeps getting better

But there is one problem I have for the last 2 days now, the ingame chat over the friendlist doesnt work, I get blank chat windows and the names at the top of the window "xx chats with xx" are wrong, when I write something I can see the chat for 0.5s and then its blank again. I don't know if this will be fixed with 1.1 but I am not the only one with this problem, and it's really hard to get into games with friends if you can't send them messages.

June 23, 2009 6:41:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ty frogboy.... deepest thanks for all your hard work and excellent communication skillz

June 23, 2009 7:11:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like the idea of AI demigods that replace dropped players not providing gold/XP.

Any opinions on that?

June 23, 2009 7:13:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've been holding off Demigod just waiting for this moment. I'm going to go put on some Phil Collins, and a robe.

EDIT: on the AI replacement, YES. The AI is a gold farm for the opposing team, i'm not sure any amount of programming can fix that seeing as how you can't tell your AI partner to STOP DYING.

June 23, 2009 7:14:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
I like the idea of AI demigods that replace dropped players not providing gold/XP.

Any opinions on that?

Yes! Check out my thread on the VERY SAME.   I really can't imagine you overlooked it.  It's up to 90 replies at the moment:

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/356930

June 23, 2009 7:17:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Any opinions on that?

Then teams with AI get free suicide bots. A team with AI replacements should have no advantage against a decent team.

Also, will favor reset this patch or not? There's a lot of misinformation spreading about it.

June 23, 2009 7:21:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Any opinions on that?

Please check andpancakes's thread over at General, plenty of opinions

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/356930

No that's not my thread lol

June 23, 2009 7:21:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DoKTa_T,
How's about Random Teams for custom games?  It would be a nice option to have so people don't have to be worried about getting ambushed by premades if they don't want.
This gets my vote. It seems to me that lately custom games are about 80% premade teams looking for some randoms to stomp on. Which is basically no fun if you're not in the team of friends/clanmates.

June 23, 2009 7:22:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes 50% or no gold/xp for AI replacements has many supporters.  One person suggested a game option (like None, 25%, 50%, Full).  As it is now, you see people pretty much just concentrait all attacks/efforts on the AI replacement rather than anything else in the game, since it's a cash cow just waiting to be slaughtered every 2-3 minutes.

June 23, 2009 7:21:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd prefer half xp/gold. Seems kinda cheap that one side could get an extra damage/capture source for nothing.

June 23, 2009 7:31:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Any opinions on that?

Agreed.  I'd think any reduction would be a plus.  50%/75%/100%... any of those would be swell.  Also, is favor getting reset?

June 23, 2009 7:32:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

--double post... sry!

June 23, 2009 7:44:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Any opinions on that?

This has been discussed by the community and the general feeling is positive. There are some threads about this (one of them is pretty big), i thought you knew about them already...   I get the feeling that many good posts are not noticed by the staff (you and gpg).

Anyway, you have my vote for this. AI is AI, it's very easy to kill. The team who has one AI or more, is loosing the game because of it, in almost all cases. The AI is feeding the enemy with gold and exp and the game is lost. No fun in this. It's unfair because the AI wasn't supposed to be there in the first place. If the AI won't give any XP/gold, then the team with less human players still has a chance. And it's not like the AI is some killing machine, lol, but it can help a little (i'm saying this in favor of AI staying in the game, because i've heard some people saying that they should be removed).

June 23, 2009 7:46:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Kitkun,
I'd prefer half xp/gold. Seems kinda cheap that one side could get an extra damage/capture source for nothing.

Well...they're sacrificing the human behind the character.  So even with 0 xp/gold having an AI is still a big hit.

June 23, 2009 7:54:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Any opinions on that?

This may depend on how good the improved AI is at the relevant point in time. The difficulty is to ensure that the team with the replaced AI demigod doesn't actually get an unintended advantage over the opposing full team.

Perhaps a less drastic measure is to remove gold, but keep XP, for AI demigods that replace dropped players.

June 23, 2009 7:55:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great news, and Great Progess, while it doesn't include everything I had hoped its a step in the right direction. (over team concede helps but not sure it will remove rage quits in 40% of the games..we need skill balancing)

I had hoped for:

1) CustomTeams Games (we have)/Randomize Teams(don't have)/Skill Balanced Teams (don't have) (perhaps based on win/loss/games played records) (these can all be under Custom Games..but with skillBalance/RandomBalance Flags or some such)

2) New Maps (especially 3v3)

3) New Demigods (for some reason I thought the game was originally intended to have 10-12) I tought it was a given we would get 2 more.

4) (Join Pantheon with specified NumberVsNumber (Random/Premade where premade == 2 or more 'pregrouped'))

5) User created Maps

Crossing my fingers for 1.2 ..NEW MAPS...NEW DEMIGODS!!

June 23, 2009 8:05:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy, one more thing i want to ask you: Did you talked with the people from GPG about a rematch option? Is it possible to make such a feature? Because it can be very, very useful, and many people asked for it...

Also, why no info about the new demigods? I'm sure you (and GPG) have some ideas, why don't you share with us? I've asked this many times (and not only me) and you keep ignoring my questions/replies.

June 23, 2009 9:09:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

so you can call me the dumbass of the group if you want, but I dont see much mention in the forums about a map editor released by GPG. Is it just not possible due to the way they designed the game? Or is this slated somewhere? You look at many of the great games that have lasted over the last 9 - 12 years most of them have an editor of some sort. Frogboy is there any light you can shed on this?

June 23, 2009 9:41:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think you are shooting yourselves in your own foot by not including single-player content.  I'd put that on your wishlist.  You are alienating a lot of customers out there without it.  Sure, keep the core focus on multi-player, but have more and better single-player content than what we see now to attract a broader audience.

Might I suggest:  Boss fights, where several people can team up against a single strong titan or something like that.  Also, your demigod stories are great.  If you have some animations--basic stuff, on the level of homeworld or something--that recapitulates the story of each demigod between each of the 8 games in tournament, I don't think it would be that hard but would add a lot of coolness to the singleplayer experience.

Then, entice the single players into multiplayer tournament with gear as a reward.  If you want to get a gamer to do anything, give them gear.  That's how you build your numbers.  Keep things noob-friendly at the lower levels.

June 23, 2009 9:48:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sexcellent news.  Cant wait, and looking forward to 1.2 now.

I like Fearzone's idea about Boss fights.  As for rewarding multiplayer with gear, sounds like someone wants to turn this into an mmo

June 23, 2009 9:55:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Any opinions on that?

I think that giving full or zero gold is a joke, they usually suck but can occasionally be helpful.  They should give zero base gold, but maintain the normal level gold.  This would mean if it was early game, they would likely add little to nothing to your enemies coffers, but if someone drops late, the ai now equiped with better equipment and a decent build, doesn't give that team a free distractor.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000313   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.