The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

20% Coupons suck

By on June 15, 2009 1:39:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How about a real coupon with like a month expiration or maybe one that expires on the 15th that you can use on the 15th

+12 Karma | 72 Replies
June 15, 2009 4:31:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've never seen a group of people complain about coupons this much. For those that missed the 20% off, you didn't exactly lose anything. There will more than likely be more deals in the future, either pay full price like you would have anyways or wait out the next deal. I agree that 2-3 day only coupons are not very consumer friendly (In my mind, they are an obviously just looking for people to make irrational snap buying decisions, an impulse buy ) , but it is not the end of the world. If you missed the expiration date due to not checking your email or waiting for payday or you were on a vacation, then it's not anybody elses problem but your own. Be an adult and live with it.

Ah, crap, I broke one of my personal internet rules... Don't feed the trolls...

By the way, I bought CoD4 and SotS ulitmate over the weekend and am having a lot of fun. Thanks for the coupon.

June 15, 2009 4:41:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Reread the thread please.

Learn what the means...

June 15, 2009 4:55:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Fuzzy Logic,

Reread the thread please.

Learn what the means...

OK...all I can say is this entire thread is not bashing Stardock for giving out coupons (which is what your sarcastic remark was about). We all love that. What some of us don't like is the short time we have to USE the coupon or the distinction on the expiration date.

Ah, crap, I broke one of my personal internet rules... Don't feed the trolls...

No trolls here. It's a legitimate gripe.

June 15, 2009 4:56:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You don't understand. It's not that we feel entitled to the coupons, it just feels like they gave a worthless gift.

Might as well have been spam. It's poor marketing, imo, especially with the expiration date being confusing.

June 15, 2009 5:46:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, I don't understand the rage, but I would have appreciated a coupon with an end date of the 15th actually being usable on the 15th.

Would have ordered something this weekend, but had to wait for some finances to clear on a bank business day.  If we only have the weekend to use it, that's impossible.

June 15, 2009 5:50:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't mind that I missed the coupon deal so much as...I could've sworn I saw the Sword of the Stars Ultimate Collection for $7.99 over the weekend.

June 15, 2009 7:06:22 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting SetarcosNous,
I don't mind that I missed the coupon deal so much as...I could've sworn I saw the Sword of the Stars Ultimate Collection for $7.99 over the weekend.
It was at gamersgate.

June 15, 2009 7:20:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i would say giving out coupons is a good idea  but  haveing short time ones suck  i get some coupons £20 off  that lasts for about a year

so  a 20% one that doesn't last too long  doesn't really intrege me and there isn't any games that are on impulse that catch my eye at the moment

impulse needs to expand its  market range and make its coupons last a bit longer   like 1 month to 2 months  because then people will have been payed atleast twice sothey would be more likely too buy

everyone budgets  but  getting a coupon when your not buying games because your buying food and waiting for pay day to buy

June 15, 2009 7:25:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Smidlee,
SetarcosNous
It was at gamersgate.
I could swear it was on Impulse. I just checked out gamersgate because you mentioned it, and I don't think I've ever seen that sight before. Perhaps Impulse was having an unannounced price-match.

June 15, 2009 7:30:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

coughs it was on impulse coughs  i saw it coughs

June 15, 2009 7:45:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting SetarcosNous,

Quoting Smidlee,
reply 7

SetarcosNous
reply 6
I don't mind that I missed the coupon deal so much as...I could've sworn I saw the Sword of the Stars Ultimate Collection for $7.99 over the weekend.It was at gamersgate.I could swear it was on Impulse. I just checked out gamersgate because you mentioned it, and I don't think I've ever seen that sight before. Perhaps Impulse was having an unannounced price-match.

It was at all places that sell it digitally.  It was only for the weekend and it was to promote the upcoming release of the SotS ANY mini expansion.

June 15, 2009 7:57:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, then dammit, I guess I won't be seeing that price again anytime soon.

June 15, 2009 8:19:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Smidlee,

Quoting SetarcosNous, reply 6I don't mind that I missed the coupon deal so much as...I could've sworn I saw the Sword of the Stars Ultimate Collection for $7.99 over the weekend.
It was at gamersgate.
No that was Impulse. I got it on the weekend.

Quoting SetarcosNous,
Yes I saw that as well and that is the last penny Stardock get from me until they treat us like customers not a lump of gold. I wanted more games But because I use a debit card I had to wait for the bank to open which was to late. Also my payday is on monday's.

Quoting Shadow_Avenger,

This is called a marketing blunder.

I totally agree.

June 15, 2009 8:35:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ataraxic,
They gave out coupons? Cool, I didn't even get one, spent extra on their collectors edition, and paid too much for shipping.

rofl i got the figurine and all but i got the coupon...but demigod seems the only good game on impulse atm? so didnt use it.

but $25 shipping seems steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

June 15, 2009 9:47:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

£25 shiping  that is rediculous it is like £12.50 if u translate it so it would be cheaper to just  buy it in a shop or getting it digital

it cost me £1.50 more then in the shop to get demigod digital but it wasn't even out in the uk  when i got it so it wasn't all too bad

June 15, 2009 10:12:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

20% is better than nothing, i did not use mine though

June 15, 2009 10:55:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting reiluke,
20% is better than nothing, i did not use mine though
I would of used mine if it was given to me while the banks were open and not canceled before they open.. Now I see why I have 130 steam games and only 10 impulse games.

June 15, 2009 11:15:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

£25 shiping that is rediculous it is like £12.50 if u translate it so it would be cheaper to just buy it in a shop or getting it digital

it cost me £1.50 more then in the shop to get demigod digital but it wasn't even out in the uk when i got it so it wasn't all too bad

i bought it before it was released in australia but.

June 15, 2009 11:39:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Meta,

Companies like Stardock already take a hit by even allowing Paypal as a way to purchase their product.  They have to pay a percentage of the sale to Paypal.  So, in essence, you're the on who's making the decision.  Do you want 20% of your sale purchase to go to Paypal or to be in your pocket?

Somehow the Stardock online payment system does not accept my personal details for a purchase (with 2 different credit cards) so that decision is out of my hands. No other online shop I have ever tried has had any problems with this (Amazon, cdwow, lego.com etc etc etc) As it stands the only way for me to pay anything on impulse, is by using paypal which makes sending these coupons almost offensive ('Here's a coupon! but no you cannot actually use it').

In addition Stardock sales support is not available to help out with these issues during the weekend when the coupon is active so that the coupon has expired before I can actually get support to make the purchase.

It seems Stardock just does not really want my money.

June 15, 2009 11:54:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

possibly if you contacted support and explained this to them they might manually give you the discount?  Worth a shot!

June 15, 2009 11:59:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

man i so agree with branko

he hit the nail on the head with

It seems Stardock just does not really want my money.

they really dont and the first 2 demis that are coming out are basicaly  saying thanks for putting up with all the bugs and errors

but it still wont really help at this stage

June 16, 2009 12:28:04 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting bman654,
possibly if you contacted support and explained this to them they might manually give you the discount?  Worth a shot!

I have contacted support and they replied with "Please try again" but by that time the coupon already expired. I'm waiting to see if I get any further response. The point remains that Stardock makes great software, but they make it unusually hard to pay them for it.

June 16, 2009 12:45:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think they should have a much longer expiry date, I completely missed the 50% off demigod for my friend becaue I wasn't playing much then. And just barely used the 20% off for gal civ two in time. It's my own fault for missing it, but i really don't check my email often. Oh well, at least I got a deal on gal civ. Now give me one more coupon for sins of a solar empire and all is well

June 16, 2009 1:01:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd wager even SD believes they should have had a > expiration date.  Keep in mind we were told this coupon would be released about 2+ weeks ago (see here https://forums.demigodthegame.com/354794).  I don't understand the ins and outs... but there are really only 3 possibilites here.  Either SD felt they would take a big financial hit by sending out a coupon and giving a decent expiration date so they chose a 3 day coupon, SD felt 3 days was a good length for the sale, or something got screwed up internally and we ended up with a 3 day coupon.  I, frankly, think something got screwed up internally.  The coupon was supposed to be out 2+ weeks ago.  The coupon is the exact same code AND for unlimited usage.  To us, it seems really simple to just have a coupon that expires after 2 weeks for 20%, but perhaps there are alot of factors behind the scenes that make it more complicated to issue a coupon.  And, that's my thought... I do think a coupon was setup and good to go about 2-3 weeks ago though, but was delayed...

Of course I could be totally off base.  Anyway, at least for me, I was able to use the coupon and got in on elemental at 20%.  Sorry for those of you that couldn't get in on the deal.  I completely agree that a coupon, that we were told by stardock would be out 2-3 weeks ago, should not have been dropped on us with a 3 day expiration date, 2-3 weeks after the promised date.  Had I been out of town this past weekend, I'd be pretty freakin pissed...  

I might be asking for alot, but is there any chance for a clear response from SD regarding this?  Why the 3 day expiration?  PM's are swell too...

June 16, 2009 2:28:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

"20% Coupons Suck"

Yep they definately need a buff, way UP atm.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000547   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.