SSD + 64bit = computing heaven

By on June 14, 2009 9:45:53 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1491

I’ve long been an advocate of migrating to a 64-bit OS and then getting as much memory as you can reasonably afford.  If you have a choice between a solid state hard drive (SSD) or lots of RAM on a 64-bit machine, get the RAM. But if you can do both, even both. 

My beloved ThinkPad T400 is outrageously fast with the combination.  It’s been a long time since I’ve used a PC that felt this fast.  It reminds me of the days when I’ve gone back and used Windows 3.1 on modern hardware where everything is so snappy. I highly recommend it.

Locked Post 173 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 15, 2009 3:07:37 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

My current PC is going to be upgraded with 8 gigabytes of ram (up from 2) in preparation for a 64-bit Windows 7 install when its released.

I didn't really think of using SSDs, but if prices are reasonable in the near future I might consider nabbing a pair to replace my conventional hard drives as well.

June 15, 2009 3:15:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'll be honest and say my knowledge of 64bit vs 32bit is shameful to say the least considering the passion I have for computers. But I do look forward to building a PC next year that will have the proper hardware to us 64bit software and cram as much memory as I can afford. I look forward to Windows 7, so far from what I have heard, it's gonna be pretty good and I don't see myself going the Mac way any time soon.

SSD's sound very intriguing. I'm am somewhat of a gamer and everyone knows that when you are facing an enemy and you have guns pointing at each other, every second you can gain over the lag is crucial to your survival.

June 15, 2009 9:24:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The main difference is RAM.  Having more RAM means more disk caching, more "stuff" instantly available.

June 15, 2009 10:04:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Okay, I have a Quad Core CPU, 64 bit Vista and 8 GB of memory.  What will upgrading to SSD cost and is it plug and play? 

What would a SSD upgrade for a P4 CPU, XP 32 bit, 2 GB of memory system.  Okay, don't laugh to hard.

June 15, 2009 10:46:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Philly0381,
Okay, I have a Quad Core CPU, 64 bit Vista and 8 GB of memory.  What will upgrading to SSD cost and is it plug and play? 

What would a SSD upgrade for a P4 CPU, XP 32 bit, 2 GB of memory system.  Okay, don't laugh to hard.

1. SSD costs about 30x that of traditional harddrive. It is relativly plug and play, but to get awsome performace, you really want to isntall your OS on it

2. It would still make it load stuff faster. And I am not laughting because I still have computers like that, they work fine for many things.

June 15, 2009 11:03:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sounds like someone who is just doing some home computing and internet searching really wouldn't benefit that much from SSD then?

June 15, 2009 11:17:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

My primary development box is now a dual core laptop running 64 bit windows 7 with 4GB RAM and a 250GB SSD. It flies. I was amazed at how fast Windows 7 ran when I installed it. But with the SSD as well everything happens instantly - I am in user heaven!

June 16, 2009 2:01:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree Frogboy!

My system just flys without even thinking. Insane boot times.

My Rig:

Vista 64-bit Ultimate

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz

CORSAIR 4GB (4094MB) DDR2 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel

Intel X25-M 80GB Sold-State Drive (SSD) - Major speed boost!

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB

I ain't hurtin

June 16, 2009 2:27:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Would an Intel Core 2 Duo benefit at all from a 64bit OS? I'm looking to upgrade my rig.

And I'm not sure I'm ready to dump $300 on an 80 gig drive myself...

June 16, 2009 3:50:32 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Fry's has a Patriot 128GB SSD for $250.

That is quite large enough for the OS, several large apps/data files and swap file.

It has slower read times (175MB/s vs. 250MB/s), but faster write times (100MB/s vs. 70MB/s) than the Intel. But still, 175MB/s will have apps loading like lightning. A few years ago that would have taken a striped array of 8 or more HD's to achieve.

The fastest HDD, the WD Velociraptor, clocks in at just under 100MB/s for write's and just over 100MB/s for read's - for about $230.

My best?

The Patriot 128GB SSD for the OS, swap file and other very large apps and data files to its capacity; then a 300GB Velociraptor (or a RAID 0 setup with multiple Velociraptors if you need more than 428GB, and better still a RAID 5) for everything else.

June 16, 2009 4:09:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Moosetek13,
Fry's has a Patriot 128GB SSD for $250.

That is quite large enough for the OS, several large apps/data files and swap file.

It has slower read times (175MB/s vs. 250MB/s), but faster write times (100MB/s vs. 70MB/s) than the Intel. But still, 175MB/s will have apps loading like lightning. A few years ago that would have taken a striped array of 8 or more HD's to achieve.

Chea. My writes are ok ... but once i got threw getting everything installed its pretty nice. The 250 MB prob isn't worth the price upgrade but eh .. i wanted a SSD and was in a rush so bought from intel since i trust them and it has plenty of good reviews.

I gotta learn to save a lil $ lol .

June 16, 2009 5:22:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I really need a 64x OS...hope W7 does ok..

June 16, 2009 10:26:35 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Meh, my main computer is still a 3.0 Ghz P4 w/ 1 GB of RAM and an 80 GB, 7200 RPM HDD running XP 32-bit.

I would love to upgrade, haha.

As for SSD's, yeah, I'm sure they're amazing.  I imagine the seek times are less than half of the average HDD, and considering the HDD is often a choke point for a system's speed...

*drools*

June 16, 2009 2:27:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pseudomelon,
Would an Intel Core 2 Duo benefit at all from a 64bit OS? I'm looking to upgrade my rig.

Yes. All Core 2 Duo's are 64bit systems, so with a 64bit OS, you can have tons of ram reducing the need for page filing and faster response in general! (note you need to buy tons of ram obviously to take advange of it)

June 16, 2009 8:50:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting IQofSpam,
Meh, my main computer is still a 3.0 Ghz P4 w/ 1 GB of RAM and an 80 GB, 7200 RPM HDD running XP 32-bit.

I would love to upgrade, haha.

As for SSD's, yeah, I'm sure they're amazing.  I imagine the seek times are less than half of the average HDD, and considering the HDD is often a choke point for a system's speed...

*drools*

What seek time? Lol .

June 16, 2009 9:09:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So these SSD's are fast, what happens when you put them in a raid for gaming?

June 17, 2009 1:29:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Tassadar,

They are just ... nuts.

http://forums.demigodthegame.com/356452

Check that post Tassadar.

June 17, 2009 3:22:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Pretty much nothing as you will be limited by SATA II interface speed - unless you have some monster multichannel raid controller that will probably cost more than the entire rig

BTW I'm upgrading to 64bit OS soon too, though I must admit my current 32bit Leopard is pretty snappy too

EDIT: I'm too old I guess, didn't realise SAS controllers had so much bandwith at such cost...

June 17, 2009 4:09:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting themadmanazn,

Quoting pseudomelon, reply 9Would an Intel Core 2 Duo benefit at all from a 64bit OS? I'm looking to upgrade my rig.

Yes. All Core 2 Duo's are 64bit systems, so with a 64bit OS, you can have tons of ram reducing the need for page filing and faster response in general! (note you need to buy tons of ram obviously to take advange of it)

About how much RAM are we talking about here? I think my MoBo kicks out at 4 gigs or so...

June 17, 2009 1:29:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pseudomelon > what mobo we talking about here, can you post a link or give a name?

June 17, 2009 2:04:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ok lets clear some things up here.

1) yes SSDs are fast but for the price/size they arent worth it for almost all ppl

2)you wont gain much performance from using one unless your using a rig with less than 1 maybe 1.5 gb of ram.

3)since they are rather small (i think the largest is 160gb) they arent that good if you have tons (and i mean TONS) of stuff you'll be putting on it.

4)SSDs' are still "new" tech and are not completely mainstream yet. the ones who are buying these are extreme system builders, overclockers, and bench markers.

5)they're not like HHDs were you can just defrag them as it will mess up the files you have on them.

so a fore warning to those considering buying one of these, if your looking to improve your system your better off buying a good gpu/cpu/mobo/more ram and leaving the uneeded stuff in the store.

(just my 2 cents)

EDIT: also most motherboards top out around 8gb of ram (which is ALOT) and you dont need the most pricy stuff out there, some 800mhz ram will do nicely and only cost about $100 for 4gbs worth

June 17, 2009 2:14:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well I have 2 Western Digital Raptors in my PC, so SSD won't be that much of an improvent. But I still love the load times games have. In WOW I used to be in a dungeon 2 to 3 times faster than any other party member.

Not sure if I'll upgrade to W7 64 bit. I run W7 32 now and it goes like a newly made sportscar, but I'm not sure all my gadgets work on 64 bit yet. (die, Creative Technologies )

June 17, 2009 2:46:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting twifightDG,
Well I have 2 Western Digital Raptors in my PC, so SSD won't be that much of an improvent. But I still love the load times games have. In WOW I used to be in a dungeon 2 to 3 times faster than any other party member.

Not sure if I'll upgrade to W7 64 bit. I run W7 32 now and it goes like a newly made sportscar, but I'm not sure all my gadgets work on 64 bit yet. (die, Creative Technologies )

the largest concern is diriver support for 64bit os's but since they have become more mainstream its not that big a deal especialy since most programs are made to run on either 32, 64, or both (like crysis was)

June 17, 2009 3:03:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ,

I’ve long been an advocate of migrating to a 64-bit OS

Then how about promoting x64 even further by releasing a x64 version of Sins? It could definitively make good use of the extra RAM. On my system (x86 XP), RAM is the bottleneck for Sins.

Concerning drivers: I have a dual boot system with x64 Win7 installed and every device works flawlessly, even my Xi-Fi, of which I was expecting the greatest driver nightmares. The only thing not working is my wifi-card (D-Link DWL520+ w/ ACX111 chipset), so basicly I can't use that OS till I get a new one (any recommendations for a good x64 compatible n-draft card? -> PN).

June 17, 2009 5:16:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting agentx250,
ok lets clear some things up here.

1) yes SSDs are fast but for the price/size they arent worth it for almost all ppl

2)you wont gain much performance from using one unless your using a rig with less than 1 maybe 1.5 gb of ram.

3)since they are rather small (i think the largest is 160gb) they arent that good if you have tons (and i mean TONS) of stuff you'll be putting on it.

4)SSDs' are still "new" tech and are not completely mainstream yet. the ones who are buying these are extreme system builders, overclockers, and bench markers.

5)they're not like HHDs were you can just defrag them as it will mess up the files you have on them.

so a fore warning to those considering buying one of these, if your looking to improve your system your better off buying a good gpu/cpu/mobo/more ram and leaving the uneeded stuff in the store.

(just my 2 cents)

EDIT: also most motherboards top out around 8gb of ram (which is ALOT) and you dont need the most pricy stuff out there, some 800mhz ram will do nicely and only cost about $100 for 4gbs worth

Majority of your post is true ... EXCEPT...

"2)you wont gain much performance from using one unless your using a rig with less than 1 maybe 1.5 gb of ram."

WRONG. I have 4 GB of ram and used to have a standard 180GB 7,200 RPM hard-drive.

I switched to my "Intel X25-M 80GB Sold-State Drive (SSD)" and i have noticed a HUGEEEEEEEEEEE difference.

So i would do some PERSONAL research yourself befor you just say like you know everything about them ... because my Vista boot times went from 1min or so to about 15-20 seconds.

If you don't call that a improvement or ... "you won't gain much performance" then ... idk what to tell you.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.