The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

List of Items that Are Too Weak and Need Power Level Review

By on June 14, 2009 4:08:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

in no particular order, and of course, these are simply my opinions.

Consumables

1. Restorative Scroll

- why doesn't it also cleanse Demigods? removing debuffs from your minions is not particularly useful. 

- would like to see this cost 500, but remove debuffs from DG and have a minor passive bonus while holding it.

2. Hex Scroll

- i've never used or seen of these used in any game. there's something off about it. costs too much or does too little.

Armor

1. Armor of Vengeance

- needs another bonus, maybe some health regen. 

2. Groffling Warplate and Platemail of the Crusader

- the stats on both of these are fine but the costs are not. i've never seen a player buy one of these in preference to buying another cheaper health item. these only get used when you're already at full equipment slots and are selling a lower level piece and replacing it with one of these. as such they tend to compete more with artifacts than other normal armor pieces.

- 1% proc chance is very low. it makes these items somewhat useful against minion armies and creeps but not particularly good against enemy Demigods. it also makes them feel very luck based. 

Helmets

1. Plate Visor

- totally unusable. should be thrown out and replaced by a totally different item. 

2. Theurgist's Cap

- this is a good idea for an item but it hardly ever used because it costs too much. 

3. Vinling Helmet

- why would you ever take this? Vlemish and Plenor are both far superior in terms of stats. this is not differentiated enough from other more efficient items. it also costs way too much.

Boots

1. Ironwalkers

- overpriced and underpowered. 

2. Desperate Boots

- the effect is fine, its interesting in fact. the price is not fine. this costs twice as much as it should. 

Gloves

1. Gauntlets of Despair

- i like the concept for the item but the stats are a bit off. i've never seen these used in a game. 

2. Doomspite Grips

- way overpriced. otherwise fine, but again, costs close to artifact price level but isnt nearly as strong as a Mageslayer. 

Trinkets

1. Ring of Ancients

- overpriced. comparable glove items cost less and provide bigger bonuses.

2. Twig of Life

- limited utility. its pretty easy to re-summon minions. the health recovery effect for them seems like its pretty poor for this reason. 

- this needs a bigger passive bonus to justify its price. 

3. Parasite Egg

- the cost is slightly high but thats not the biggest issue.

- the effect doesn't last long enough. 10 seconds is too small a window to adequately use this item. especially considering how generally easy it is to re-summon minions this item doesn't perform as well as it ought to. effect duration increase would be a good thing.

Artifacts

1. Unmaker

- too weak for cost. doesn't compare very well to Bracelet of Rage which is much powerful for a similar price.

- should either have cost reduced (alot, to around 10,000 or 11,000) or should have effect increased (for example, make it affect nearby allies similar to the way Bracelet of Rage works).

2. Stormbringer

- this item is fine its own right but suffers from scaling issues related to the disparity in late-game between auto-attack damage and spell damage. 

- this item should cost less and have reduced bonuses so it could come into play at a point in the game where it would be more relevant.

- recommended changes: +1400 mana (down from 2100), +15 mana regen (changed from +70%), -20% ability cooldowns (up from -15%), mana draining ability removed entirely, price 9500 (down from 17500).

Favor Items

note: it seems as though the favor point cost of these items was supposed to balance the in a similar way to gold cost but in practice we know that it doesn't work like that. if you've got enough favor you've got your selection of any item in the game as if they all had a cost of zero. therefore, the items should be balanced as if they were all available from the first second of every game. 

1. Bejeweled Goggles

- doesn't do enough, needs more bonuses

2. Charm of Life

- embarassingly bad when compared to Blood of the Fallen

3. Brilliant Bauble

- bad concept in general. i dislike this idea, its too hard to balance. a small bonus is consequential and a large bonus is incredibly overpowered. i have trouble imagining a middle ground for this kind of thing. i'd scrap it.

4. Amulet of Teleportation

- this is in most ways just a money-saving device, it doesn't provide any benefit that you couldn't get (with a lower cooldown in fact) from regular teleport scrolls.

- this ought to have at least a small passive benefit to make it clearly better than just buying scrolls. 

5. Cape of Plentiful Mana

- seems strong but in fact it struggles to outperform even combat mana potions. 

- to restore 1000 mana (a combat mana pot) you would have to already have 25 mana/sec regen, which is already a fairly large amount (you'd have to have at least a Vlemish Faceguard and be around level 10). at all points in the game the scale of benefit on this item lags greatly behind your real mana needs.

- suggestion: this item should also provide a small passive regen bonus, like +4 mana/sec. 

6. Saam-El's Cloak

- slow stacking is supposed to be capped anyway. this item is supposed to be obsolete by design if the game mechanics were working as intended. 

7. Totem of War (General Only)

- outright inferior to Ring of Divine Might.

8. Tome of Endurance

- the minion bonus is quaint. this item is in most ways outright inferior to Blood of the Fallen.

9. Horn of Battle

- ive said it before about items that Heal minions only. thats not an important ability. minions are too easy to replace to care about healing them. therefore, this item sucks.

+66 Karma | 15 Replies
June 14, 2009 4:41:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

While I agree that a lot of the things you listed are really useless/lacking compared to other items, I think some of them you haven't given enough use to/tried enough things with them.

2. Twig of Life

- limited utility. its pretty easy to re-summon minions. the health recovery effect for them seems like its pretty poor for this reason. 

- this needs a bigger passive bonus to justify its price. 

I quite often give this item some use once my minions are over the 1.2k HP mark, but I think it does need a slight boost to it's passive bonus, maybe +250 minion health.

- this is in most ways just a money-saving device, it doesn't provide any benefit that you couldn't get (with a lower cooldown in fact) from regular teleport scrolls.

- this ought to have at least a small passive benefit to make it clearly better than just buying scrolls.

This item does have a lot of use on bigger maps, it also means that you won't ever be unprepared with no teleport to get somewhere in a hurry, and you're not wasting gold on scrolls either.

9. Horn of Battle

- ive said it before about items that Heal minions only. thats not an important ability. minions are too easy to replace to care about healing them. therefore, this item sucks.

Nononono, this is a VERY important item in a build where minions add a LOT to your DPS, it allows them to attack towers and characters with AoEs for a full 10 seconds longer without having to replenish them and allows longer sustained DPS, replenishing them is not nearly as easy as you make it out to be, and is time consuming. This is the only item I ever use on my minion build Erebus now out of the current favour items because it essentially gives your minions invincibility for 10 seconds except versus very high AoE damage like Mines or a Direct Hammer Slam, none of the other favor items increase the effectiveness of my minions so much.

Oops I mised one

Platemail of the Crusader

I always end up with this item on a minion build, but I do think it needs more stats to the wearer and not just minions, while +20hp/s is very nice, it's still not much especially for the huge cost. The proc is useless and should be removed for +400 hp or something.

June 14, 2009 4:49:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

With Groffling Warplate and Platemail of the Crusader, it's not the health your paying for (PoC doesnt even have health), it's the armor. I promise you these items are fantastic, both of them. I buy at least one of them almost every game. And on top of that, it's hard to choose between the extra 675 health and 200 armor or the 20 HPS. 

June 14, 2009 4:51:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would assume that Restorative Scroll doesn't work on DG because it would make UB's Venom Spit near useless.

June 14, 2009 5:30:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I thought restorative scroll did work on demigods, maybe im wrong.  Have you ever tried it?

June 14, 2009 5:32:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

thanks for the feedback guys.

@Dustbin,

when I'm playing Oak i find that Idol Summons have such a low mana cost and Raise Dead Ward Spirits are so plentiful that its just a waste to even bother healing them. perhaps things are different for other generals. 

@Teseer,

I agree that Groffling Warplate and Platemail of the Crusader both have excellent and worthwhile stats. I'm just not so happy about the costs. I find myself frequently in a situation where I'm getting a Narmoth's Ring and a Nimoth Chestguard instead of a Groffling Warplate. Or i'm spending much less in general and getting Nimoth Chestguard and Hauberk of Life. 

The issue is that its very easy to just use 2 item slots and get a better effect for same gold or similar effect for less gold. I'm almost never in a position where I'm buying a Warplate or Crusader before i've filled up every available item slot. but thats already late in the game at which point i'm thinking about buying artifacts or dropping 10k for the Catapult+Angel+Priest upgrade. 

I think if these items were slightly cost reduced (about 3500 for Plate of Crusader, about 4000 for Groffling) they would be much more competitive with other item strategies. the effects are very good but the price points are a bit off, in my opinion.

@JagerJack

I wouldn't be so concerned with that. Could easily be balanced with cooldown and gold cost. 

@Will

definitely doesn't work on DG's. even says right in the item description that it does not. and yeah, ive tried it. 

June 14, 2009 5:47:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting transitive,

@JagerJack

I wouldn't be so concerned with that. Could easily be balanced with cooldown and gold cost.

Fair enough, although I think it's casting time should be increased from 0.3 seconds to 1 second. But otherwise I agree that the cooldown and cost would probably keep it balanced.

June 14, 2009 7:03:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting transitive,

Stuff

I'd agree they could be cheeper, but really not by much. The armor they give is very very good. I'm happy with em now, but I wouldnt be upset to see them drop a little.

June 15, 2009 4:19:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

2. Charm of Life

- embarassingly bad when compared to Blood of the Fallen

Charm of Life and other items are clearly meant to be entry-level favor items for newer players. They don't necessarily need to be equal in utility, though CHarm of Life could use a slight buff to the death penalty bit. 

June 15, 2009 4:34:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I had Teleport Favor Item last night as rook, Best choice I made.

I managed to escape death a good 10 times by using it after they had stunned me to early.

June 15, 2009 7:07:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have to disagree with this.  Not only do you save money, which is great but you free up a consumable slot and that is huge. Also it, in combination with other movement speed items, allows you to be extremely mobile, yes it has a higher cooldown than teleport scrolls but it is free and doesn't depend on trips to the shop. Probably not so great for assassins but awesome for supporting generals.

June 15, 2009 7:24:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm wondering if anyone has tried carrying both a scroll and the amulet, and using that to soak enemy interrupts.

June 15, 2009 7:42:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

YES. alot of items/equips need changing!!!

REDUCE REDUNDANCY!

June 15, 2009 12:08:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Plate Visor is so bad that everytime I see it, I cry tear so woeful it burns a hole in my floor.  These 'Sorrow tunnels' are plowing straight to the center of the earth.

Left unchecked, this will create a lamentational vortex that will devour the heart, if not the soul, of the planet.

Please, fix Plate Visor BEFORE it is too late.

June 15, 2009 3:05:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zechnophobe,
Plate Visor is so bad that everytime I see it, I cry tear so woeful it burns a hole in my floor.  These 'Sorrow tunnels' are plowing straight to the center of the earth.

Left unchecked, this will create a lamentational vortex that will devour the heart, if not the soul, of the planet.

LMAO

June 15, 2009 5:14:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zechnophobe,

I just pretend it doesn't exist. Sits better with my mind.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.