The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Free mana: is it an exploit?

By on June 12, 2009 3:34:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you drop an item that increases total mana, it lowers your mana max and subtracts the mana it added from your pool. Mana, however, cannot go below zero. This allows someone to run their mana dry, drop their plenor crown, and pick it back up gaining 1500 mana instantly. Would you all consider this an exploit? If so, it should probably be fixed.

+38 Karma | 61 Replies
June 12, 2009 3:38:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Damn that's a good one.  That's definitely gamebreaking enough to consider it an exploit, especially if you can do it with health too.

June 12, 2009 3:44:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yeah that would be an exploit imo. Admittedly, it would be difficult and tedious to do in practice though. You don't want anyone nearby to pick up your item lol.

June 12, 2009 3:45:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is present for many things - the 15% health and mana flags are a good example.

Gaining the flags instantly adds the chunk you gained to your max and current and losing control of the flags subtracts that amount - which is awful is you're fighting and then you suddenly take a huge chunk of damage simply because you lost the flag!

I don't agree with things that change your hp/mana pool affecting the current amount.  This exploit is just one consequence of that.

June 12, 2009 3:57:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is present for many things - the 15% health and mana flags are a good example.

It's alright with the flags because you aren't necessarily going to obtain them next to your health crystal(a teammate would have to when you're near your crystal) so for the bonus to take effect you'd need to retreat again(and probably lose the flag).  The only reason it's needed for items is if you buy a health or mana artifact, you probably have to go back and heal.  They should probably just recode it so that either the items/artifacts don't have an instant effect or so that it logs your health level when you drop one and you can't regain past that for picking up the same artifact/item.

June 12, 2009 3:59:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

which is awful is you're fighting and then you suddenly take a huge chunk of damage simply because you lost the flag!

Isn;t that the point of keeping the flag?

I have had my Sigil of Vitality drop off me, I was reduced to 1HP straightaway. As far as I am concerned it should debuff like this for temporary effects.

Dropping an item though, that is a little problematic. Not enough to affect the heat of battle, but maybe something that can exploited after the battle. I will try it later on (against AI tho!)

June 12, 2009 4:02:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Isn;t that the point of keeping the flag?

No, when you lose the flag *on the other side of the map suddenly*

Dropping an item though, that is a little problematic. Not enough to affect the heat of battle, but maybe something that can exploited after the battle. I will try it later on (against AI tho!

Would be easier for ranged heroes like Regulus TB or QoT when no one is attacking them back there.  They could spam their abilities endlessly - it's better than a Heart of Life!

You could drop multiple helms at a time for massive mana boosts too.

June 12, 2009 4:19:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good point, op.  Sounds like an exploit to me...

June 12, 2009 4:28:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Eugh. Definitely an exploit.

June 12, 2009 4:36:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks for the tip.

June 12, 2009 4:54:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

thnx for the tip,  not an exploit but this needs to be fixxed imo.

June 12, 2009 5:00:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

not an exploit but this needs to be fixxed imo.

How is it *not* an exploit?

I mean just look at the title: "Free Mana"

June 12, 2009 5:08:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting InfiniteVengeance,

hehe

June 12, 2009 5:41:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting InfiniteVengeance,

I consider an exploit cheating.  This is not cheating just a game mechanic that wasnt intended and should be fixxed imo.  

June 12, 2009 5:49:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I consider an exploit cheating.  This is not cheating just a game mechanic that wasnt intended and should be fixxed imo. 

Exploits are exploits.

Cheating is cheating.  Cheating is also exploiting, so to speak, but not the other way around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploit_(online_gaming)

"Game Mechanics Exploits / Bug Exploits - There are also other exploits involving the physics of the game, sometimes in conjunction with items."

What we have here is a game mechanics exploit that allows you to abuse the system that increases your current hp/mana when you increase your maximum when clearly you should not be granted infinite mana by dropping and picking up your helmets.

June 12, 2009 5:49:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting will516,

Quoting InfiniteVengeance, reply 11

But isn't abusing a broken game mechanic pretty much the definition of exploiting?

June 12, 2009 6:18:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

the game mechanic is working perfectly fine, there is no glitch it is doing exactly what it was programmed to do.  I just dont agree with what it does and think it should be changed.

I consider exploiting cheating/taking advantage of broken game mechanics.      things like summoning idols then selling them and re resummoning new idols,  hiding behind towers, using heavens wrath to farm xp, dropping mana items then picking them back up to get a mana boost, ect ect  are all just in game features.  

the other ones arent really detrminental to game play and may even add more strategic options...  the picking items up for mana one hurts game play imo and should be fixxed.

still disagree I wouldnt call it an exploit.

June 12, 2009 6:40:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

But following codes of honor, most pvp-ers shouldn't use this kind of gamedesign flaws. as they are gamebraking, giving several DG"s huges advantages...

June 12, 2009 6:45:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is why we need replays.

Assuming, for the sake of argument, that stats/connectivity issues are ironed out: if I'm playing a Pantheon game and somebody does this to me, I will likely lose.  (Assuming that the exploiter has worked out a method of reducing his/her risk while performing the exploit, and can therefore maximize its effectiveness.)  I don't have a lot of other options:

* I can vote to concede.  Probably what's going to happen, in any case; this just means I lose faster.

* I can leave the game, but now I have a ragequit on my record and the exploiter still gets a win.

* I can't kickvote the player; they're not on my team, and I don't think GPG should implement a "kick members of the other team" vote; that sounds like a messy can of worms.

But with replays, I can eat my loss, then send the replay off to the Powers That Be with a note to the effect of "Watch what IAmACheater does at 15:23."  Then, at least, I have a better hope of getting the exploit patched and bringing Swift Justice from Above down on the exploiter.

. . . I can dream, right?

June 12, 2009 7:04:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I consider exploiting cheating/taking advantage of broken game mechanics.

How is getting 1000-1500 mana for as fast as you can click 4 times(technically achievable with two clicks and two hotkeys) not a broken game mechanic?  Particularly when the game is designed for you to spend gold to achieve this effect(potions).

June 12, 2009 7:26:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think that all of these effects should be proportional. So when you pop the +50% consumable, your health stays at the same %, and same for picking up any item.

June 12, 2009 7:36:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

things like summoning idols then selling them and re resummoning new idols,  hiding behind towers, using heavens wrath to farm xp, dropping mana items then picking them back up to get a mana boost, ect ect  are all just in game features.  

two of those things are not like the others.

getting more than a normal amount of minions for little gold and gaining free mana for no gold clearly circumvent game mechanics.  using towers to defend yourself or heavens wrath to kill grunts are both designed mechanics.

June 12, 2009 7:41:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Whatever you want to call it, I think it's obviously not an intended function of these items and it should be fixed. 

June 12, 2009 8:29:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't think selling idols and buying new ones is not an exploit - the amount of gold you lose is fine by me for you to have two extra units for a brief period.

June 12, 2009 9:54:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ImpossibleReality,
I don't think selling idols and buying new ones is not an exploit - the amount of gold you lose is fine by me for you to have two extra units for a brief period.

This has already been confirmed as an exploit (or 'unintended game mechanic' for the semantics enthusiasts) which is why it's being fixed in the 1.1 patch.

June 12, 2009 11:47:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ImpossibleReality,

I agree that the drawback isn't enough to make it an exploit, but they're axing it in 1.1 anyways because it wasn't intended.  I want minion summoning consumables .

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001109   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.