RakNet Says DG Doesn't Use RakNet

Wha..

By on June 11, 2009 6:53:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums External Link

FutileEmotion

Join Date 03/2009
+18

According to Froboy's wonderful breakdown of what does what in Demigod, I learned that in addition to Impulse/Stardock and Gas Powered Games, a third party's network package was used called RakNet.

After reading recently that GPG wouldn't be using Stardock anymore, I became concerned.  Frogboy has since clarified to say that this was a misunderstanding, and that GPG has a great relationship with Stardock and that GPG would not be using the RakNet for their multiplayer solutions.

So I spent some time on RakNet's website, to figure out what exactly their package was, and what else used it.  Besides Demigod, it seems to be a long list of small indie projects.  This lead me to the conclusion that while Demigod's issues stem from all of the things Frogboy has talked about in compatability between parts, the problem was compounded because RakNet is not a big company, and is not experienced at being a large-scale solution.

Then I stumbled on this: the only thread mentioning Demigod in their forums.

It seems that such a big-time use of RakNet was completely missed by their forum admin.  He says that "It is nice of Demigod to credit RakNet, although it wasn't used in that game. Stardock is using NAT punchthrough in the games they host. We're working with them now to adjust their configuration to improve the success rate."  Huh?

And continues in a later post saying:

"2. Demigod didn't use RakNet. "The bad design decision was made in December of 2008 when it was decided to have the network library hand off sockets to Demigod proper.  In most games, the connection between players is handled purely by one source. For instance, in Supreme Commander, GPGNet handled the entire connection."

I am so lost.

Locked Post 7 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 11, 2009 7:01:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

hmm... very interesting post... confused too. 

June 11, 2009 7:03:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well it's kind of splitting hairs.  

Stardock licenses Raknet and we use it in Demigod.  The developer of Raknet has been out here twice to work on it with us.

June 11, 2009 7:14:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So when he says RakNet, he means that RakNet wasn't involved in the development, only that they liscensed the use of their code for Demigod - whereas when you say RakNet, you mean the code you have paid RakNet to use?

June 11, 2009 7:25:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

“Never underestimate the power of denial.”

June 11, 2009 7:32:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think it is a normal case of pointer fingers and blaming the problem on someone else so it won't ruin one's reputation.

June 11, 2009 10:37:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Surely Raknet would ask Stardock what they wanted to do with their code - you work on building relationships with your clients for things like this. You don't just give them a dll and a manual because you want their business in the future for new games. And I doubt you just pick a networking package off the shelf without doing research which would include discussing your architecture with the provider. Surely Raknet must have known how its software was to be used and/or had information that explains the limitations...

June 12, 2009 1:56:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What is more concerning to me is something else mentioned by the OP.  Why is gamespot so down on Stardock these days.  In the past they have been very supportive of Stardock and their unique relationship with the consumer.  Now it's almost as if they are justifying their original rating of Demigod (which is obviously too low - don't believe me?  look at some of the games with higher ratings.) by continuing to take shots at Stardock.  Mentioning that GPG would not use Stardock in the upcoming Supreme Commander 2 added nothing of value to the article.  Moreover, it's completely unrelated; talk about a tangent.  This all appears to be an 180 degrees from Gamespot's previous coverage of Stardock.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000188   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.