Sludge Slinger (STILL NOT FIXED IN 1.2)

By on June 5, 2009 12:17:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

CosMoe

Join Date 06/2008
+25

The Sludge Slinger item still does not work properly.

If you do not face your opponent, or are very close, using the item will not work and instead just stop you Demigod. I guess it's the same bug that resulted in problems when using some your skills on another player (Sedna Heal bug), which should have been solved by the latest patch. Can anybody confirm this ?

Locked Post 43 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 23, 2009 8:08:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've just tried using the Sludge Slinger some time ago and I've faced this problem. The same thing happens when I try to use Parasite Egg.

What happens is that your Demigod will get stuck and you cannot move. I'll need more testing to be sure, but both items are not reliable to use right now.

September 2, 2009 4:29:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So, looking into this, it seems that if your demigod is not facing the target, you will enter a permanent waiting for target stage. If at some point your target travels into your path, then you will execute the ability.

This seems to be caused by the demigod needing to face a target to use an ability on the target. This conflicts with the CanCastWhileMoving tag, while prevent the ability from interupting the current move action.

Looking into the lua I tried a few things.

Idea: CastingTime

• Default: CastingTime = 0
  • Increasing it to 0.01 does not fix the issue.

Idea: CanCastWhileMoving

• Default: CanCastWhileMoving = true
  • Setting it equal to false does fix the turning issue, but it behaves like a normal ability, interupting whatever action you were doing. In essence it makes it a normal ability with a 0 cast time.

Queen of Thorn's Bramble Shield

• It is a castwhilemoving ability that targets another, but I was unable to find something that would translate and work.

I tried looking for a turn, face, or similiar function that would rotate the demigod to face the target, but was unable to find anything appropriate.

A roundabout solution would be to create an invisible projectile with infinite homing and speed, but that seems rather inelegant.

An oddity I noticed is that with the unclean beast, using the ability will also cause you to move to a location on the otherside of the demigod you targeted. I'd assume this is true for all melee demigods.

At this point I'm out of ideas, however I'm posting this if anyone else is interesting in approaching the problem.

September 2, 2009 5:25:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks again Ptarth, nice work.

I'd personally prefer the "CanCastWhileMoving" solution, which is much better than getting stuck.

GPG, do you even care ? (this was reported 3 months ago)

September 5, 2009 3:06:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have had this problem... parisite egg and sludge slinger are completely useless due to the bugs!

September 5, 2009 6:35:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

oh man.... making Sludge cast while moving would be... very powerful. Pretty much an AA-reg killer. It'd need an increase in cast time or cost or something.

September 5, 2009 11:34:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The Sludge Slinger and Parasite Egg already are cast while moving. The reason we don't notice this is because of the targetting problems. The potential fix I proposed that does fix the targetting problems removes this, my failure was to allow for the usage of cast while moving and not have the targetting errors.

September 10, 2009 11:47:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

GPG probably didn't/doesn't have a solution for this either, which is most likely the reason "wand of speed" and other instant abilities interupt walking. They chose this because "CanCastWhileMoving" wasn't working.

AbilityTask.lua looks promising for a solution. I believe that's where it's handled.

September 12, 2009 4:06:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So, I've been looking at AbilityTask.lua as ntropy suggested, and it is very interesting. It inspired me to try some other things, which eventually lead me in a full circle back to the item code for the sludge slinger and the parasite egg.

What I found was unexpected, the fix to part of the problem, I think. All you have to do is add "IgnoreFacing = true," to the item code, and the "stuck while in range but not facing the target problem" is eliminated.

Now, my initial intuition was that IgnoreFacing = true would lead the caster to cast the spell without changing facing, however this isn't the case. The caster does face the target, trigger the effect, and then resume the previous command. That this can happen also suggests that all abilities may be able to resume previous orders. So, for example, the wand of speed could possibly be made so that you don't stop moving to trigger it. That however is a balance issue, and not seemingly a bug fix. I

However, when the target it out of range, the behavior is different. In this case the caster moves within range, casts, and then shifts to autoattack status.

For ranged demigods there was another oddity that I'm trying to understand. After cueing a move order and then using an item, the caster starts attacking. This may be because the move order is converted into a move attack order. Further testing is required.

In conclusion, adding "IgnoreFacing = true" to the item will mostly fix the problem.

September 12, 2009 7:08:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks a lot Ptarth.

I really hope you can keep your enthusiasm about bug hunting.

The v1.2 patch will show if it's worth it.

November 4, 2009 7:06:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

*bump* I really really hope this gets fixed in the next patch. Right now the Sludge Slinger and Parasite Egg can be a "random self destruct" button.

November 5, 2009 4:06:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky__,
*bump* I really really hope this gets fixed in the next patch. Right now the Sludge Slinger and Parasite Egg ARE a "random self destruct" button.

Fixed

Personally I think that when they are fixed the parasite egg should be reduced in price as well

November 5, 2009 4:47:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting _Golgoth_,
Fixed
Well, I wrote 'can be' because if you are careful about when to use it, it won't be one . But can still happen, e.g. when the enemy unexpectedly warps out of the cast range.

November 5, 2009 6:40:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

*Bump*

For stardock/sorian attention.

November 17, 2009 2:52:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

*Bump*

Still not fixed

November 20, 2009 6:59:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Still not fixed.

This bug has been known for 5 1/2 months now.

Stardock/GPG, what the hell !?

November 20, 2009 7:43:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

All they had to do is setting 'IgnoreFacing' to true...

November 20, 2009 5:10:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

bumping this everyday until this gets fixed >>

November 20, 2009 5:21:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Can we get this and wand of speed fix please.

November 22, 2009 5:51:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CosMoe,
Still not fixed.

This bug has been known for 5 1/2 months now.

Stardock/GPG, what the hell !?

Relax, they're working on it

by "they" i actually mean "he", you know, the one guy who sometimes work on demigod and sometimes do other stuff.

maybe he'll get around to it around May.

Nice going supporting your game GPG! and thanks for fixing the TB Autoattack bug!!

November 22, 2009 5:57:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

bumping this everyday until this gets fixed...

November 24, 2009 4:16:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

bump

November 25, 2009 2:07:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

bump

November 30, 2009 3:53:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

bump

December 2, 2009 1:29:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

bump

December 2, 2009 1:40:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

you suck at bumping daily... more liek once every couple days

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000563   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.