The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Rage Quits and v1.1 of Demigod talk

By on June 3, 2009 4:15:22 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Developer Gas Powered Games and publisher Stardock are working on version 1.1 of Demigod which we hope to be out in the next few weeks.

Next week we’ll have a more formal preview of v1.1 but one of the things we’re going to be focusing on is the issue of rage quits.

Here is how we plan to handle them:

Team Concede

A team can concede the game. If the majority of a team chooses to concede, the game ends. No harm no foul.

Rage Quits

If a person quits the game without the team concede and the game lasts more than 10 minutes longer, that person gets a rage quit. In the connection dialog, that person’s rage quitting percentage will be displayed as “Disconnect %”. Players with a high Disconnect % will likely get booted in lobbies and will be put further back in line for skirmish and pantheon games.

Early Quits

Games that last less than 3 minutes aren’t counted. If you get into a game where it’s lagging or you have an obnoxious partner or opponent or someone has a very slow sim speed, you can quit in those first few minutes, no harm, no foul.

+897 Karma | 192 Replies
June 16, 2009 12:11:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have an objection.

Demigod crashed on me yesterday. It counted as a disconnect and loss. The next game I ended up with the same teammate, who told me not to rage quit.

Can you guys maybe add a way for the online client to check the event log, and discount a game if the log shows the demigod exe stopped interacting around a certain time a disconnect was counted?

June 16, 2009 12:39:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting LORD-ORION,
I have an objection.

Demigod crashed on me yesterday. It counted as a disconnect and loss. The next game I ended up with the same teammate, who told me not to rage quit.

Can you guys maybe add a way for the online client to check the event log, and discount a game if the log shows the demigod exe stopped interacting around a certain time a disconnect was counted?

This would mean that all someone has to do to avoid a disconnection would be to press the power button on their computer when they got mad.

I do not think you can distinguish from "real" rage quits, disconnects because of your internet connection, or disconnects because of the client crashing.

But I have a thread with an insane number of unhandled exceptions, so until they fix all that crashing, I think keeping a disconnection stat is quite unfair.

And people saying it is my fault, well I have Crysis, King's Bounty, Dawn of War, World in Conflict, Worlf of Warcraft, Call of Duty 4 and more games currently installed, and none of them has even once given me an unhandled exception.

June 16, 2009 3:10:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Tassadar,
If a good player that only cares about having the higest rank sees another good player in the game, he will just quit within the first 3 minutes and hope to play a noob next game. This player could possibly be higher rank then a better player, just bc he decides what battles he wants to fight.

If you quit, it should be a loss, no 3 minute window.

yeah,... no, I pretty sure thats not the way the stat system works, your ranking only improves when you win against better ranking players.

June 17, 2009 4:59:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have a couple brainstorming suggestions, I think people are looking at this at the wrong angle. You don't want to punish the average player, who is bound to ragequit/disconnect every so often, you want to go after the ones who abuse it. Since it's a computerized rating, there needs to be a way to correct it when it's information badly represents a player.

1) Allow the losing team to "Earn" as much favor as the winning team (Opposing teams average). The winning team would get their usual values. The losing team would get a percentage based on how many kills, captures, damage, match time, and other such stats. If they fight hard to the bitter end, they'd get just a little under the opposing team.

2) Spend favor to reduce your ragequit rating. After all, if these people legitimately disconnected, you can assume they also have frequently played games where they didn't.

3) Reduce the disconnect rating every time someone completes a game with a loss.

4) You get a demerit for the day, if you get too many (Say 7-10) you are visually red flagged for frequent disconnects. Hovering over the flag shows the total disconnects.

5) Reward people for being a good sport, maybe whenever someone manages 100% of favor from idea 1 when losing gets a special green flag for the day.

One more point that has not been brought up: Occassionally, good sports on the other team may want to leave to even the teams, that person should not be punished.

June 18, 2009 9:20:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey AmIAnnoying, I NEVER thought about quitting when a person on the other team RQs.  I think someone did that in a 3v3 game I played last week, but I assumed he got a DC.  He was on the winning team; someone on our team RQ, and then he did too a minute later.  That was very sportsmanlike of him, but he'll get a RQ in the future, correct?

June 19, 2009 6:20:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is only tangentially related to ragequitting, but: if we're adding a Team Concede vote, what about a global Return to Lobby vote?

I would imagine this primarily for Pantheon/Skirmish games, though it could easily apply to Custom games as well; if a person lags out at the beginning, or drops, or ragequits at the first kill, or the players don't like the automatched teams or the presence of AIs, someone could initiate a Return to Lobby vote.  If the vote passes with a majority of the current players (or a unanimous vote?), the game is discarded and all players get tossed back into the matchmaking system to try for another match (or back to the game lobby if a custom game is being played.)

You'd probably want a time limit on how late in the game you could start a Return to Lobby vote, to keep the losers of a game from cancelling it if they currently outnumber the winning team.

I'm patterning this idea off of Left4Dead, which has a really nice interface for using votes for restarting games / kicking bad players / changing the current map / etc; some ability for the players to collectively decide if they'd like to take action on such an issue would be much desired.

June 19, 2009 7:23:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Way too little fur and too much clothes to make me sentimental.  Try again...

June 19, 2009 12:49:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

why are people so against rage quitting?

if im beating you down what reason do i have for you to stay? is it that fun to continue the beat down instead ending it early and finding a new possibly more competitive match? everyone wants to worry more about losses and favor losses and punishments and kicks in the nuts.

good sportmanship can also be the 10 run rule in little league where when the other team is losing by 10 or more runs the game is over because to force the outmatched team to continue is unsportsman like.

June 27, 2009 5:54:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

"Early Quits

Games that last less than 3 minutes aren’t counted. If you get into a game where it’s lagging or you have an obnoxious partner or opponent or someone has a very slow sim speed, you can quit in those first few minutes, no harm, no foul."

Is this works ? Yesterdays i've to leave the game twice: in first case the game in Pantheon tournament starts me+AI against 2 human. I've quited at first minute and it gave me +1 lose and disconnect in Pantheon stats. Second case - my partner was too noobish and died twice in two minutes and my opponents was too good to me 1 against 2. So i've quit the game in 2.34 minutes after start and it's also gave me +1 lose and disconnect. So in case of early quit if i've human teammate - Should i conced to have this "no harm,no foul, no lose, no disconnect" or thios system of "Early quits" totaly broken ?

June 27, 2009 9:22:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Auro5on1c,
"Early Quits

Games that last less than 3 minutes aren’t counted. If you get into a game where it’s lagging or you have an obnoxious partner or opponent or someone has a very slow sim speed, you can quit in those first few minutes, no harm, no foul."

Is this works ? Yesterdays i've to leave the game twice: in first case the game in Pantheon tournament starts me+AI against 2 human. I've quited at first minute and it gave me +1 lose and disconnect in Pantheon stats. Second case - my partner was too noobish and died twice in two minutes and my opponents was too good to me 1 against 2. So i've quit the game in 2.34 minutes after start and it's also gave me +1 lose and disconnect. So in case of early quit if i've human teammate - Should i conced to have this "no harm,no foul, no lose, no disconnect" or thios system of "Early quits" totaly broken ?

I hope you dont mind but i've looked over your games list and both of your quits were marked as NA and you didnt get a loss. Dunno what are you complaining about ...

As for the whole discussion here, its pretty much pointless. Until SD/GPG will fix the ranking system and implement skill based match making theres nothing you can do about RQ.

Please stop focusing on there retarded ideas and fix the basic things like the above mentioned matchmaking and numerous pathing/skill bugs.

August 3, 2009 9:15:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

the proposal for the situation isnt bad considering their jst trying to fix a problem and having a go at what will work. however ive been having problems connecting to games, and regardles of whether i want to or not my game jst disconnects theres nothing i can do about it and its annoying the S!#! out of me and anyone in any game i try to join. not only that but it reflects badly on my rank counting them as rage quits when i never wanted to quit in the first place

August 3, 2009 4:55:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hello there, Frogboy. These features you mention on here are as fair as smart; great!!.

August 13, 2009 8:41:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And another useless bump.

Scardinius you need to make a topic in Technical support if you haven't done so already (forum's bugged, can't check). Connections have been working pretty well for most players now, so any problem now may well be individual.

August 13, 2009 9:24:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting zxzxza,
why are people so against rage quitting?

It's not about people obviously about to lose and leaving. That's what concede is for.

It gets frustrating when people leave 5 minutes into the match because they (or one of their teammates) died. I know for a fact that a lot of people out there will leave at the very first sign of resistance, as anything but a 100% guaranteed win is a waste of time for them.

I've even seen people throw a fit and quit because the opponent retreated during the first clash.

August 15, 2009 2:10:00 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Early Quits

Games that last less than 3 minutes aren’t counted. If you get into a game where it’s lagging or you have an obnoxious partner or opponent or someone has a very slow sim speed, you can quit in those first few minutes, no harm, no foul.

If you implement this, please have a countdown timer on the top of the screen so everyone knows the game is in this 'trial period'. That way there is no uncertainty for deciding wether you've given the game enough time to determine wether you want to stay (due to lag, etc.).

August 30, 2009 4:03:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i've got to agree with ya frogboy.

i don't play much mp, since i like to experiment on sp first, but i like the idea a lot.

August 30, 2009 5:57:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What's with all this bumping of old posts? v1.1 was ages ago.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.