The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Rage Quits and v1.1 of Demigod talk

By on June 3, 2009 4:15:22 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Developer Gas Powered Games and publisher Stardock are working on version 1.1 of Demigod which we hope to be out in the next few weeks.

Next week we’ll have a more formal preview of v1.1 but one of the things we’re going to be focusing on is the issue of rage quits.

Here is how we plan to handle them:

Team Concede

A team can concede the game. If the majority of a team chooses to concede, the game ends. No harm no foul.

Rage Quits

If a person quits the game without the team concede and the game lasts more than 10 minutes longer, that person gets a rage quit. In the connection dialog, that person’s rage quitting percentage will be displayed as “Disconnect %”. Players with a high Disconnect % will likely get booted in lobbies and will be put further back in line for skirmish and pantheon games.

Early Quits

Games that last less than 3 minutes aren’t counted. If you get into a game where it’s lagging or you have an obnoxious partner or opponent or someone has a very slow sim speed, you can quit in those first few minutes, no harm, no foul.

+912 Karma | 192 Replies
June 7, 2009 7:13:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting zxzxza,
bad idea. will lead to players afking or worse i promise you.

im going to laugh when someone wanting to exit  threatens to suicide to get the team to concede.

you cant punish people for not wanting to play with you.

Apparently Demigod DOES intend to punish you for not wanting to play in a boring, frustrating, unsatisfying match. If what I read about permanent bans for RQ in league of legends are true, it seems these dota games only wish to cater to the sadistic 'hardcores' that insist on humiliating their opponents. I'm glad a lot of people are raising their voices here on this topic. The developers would benefit from looking from different perspectives than those of whiners in the forum.

If the developers simply spend some time in losing matches and experience the combination of helplessness, repeated massacring and barrage of putdown and name calling that occur it would be perfectly clear why people leave. The only reason people complain about RQ is because these pathetic saps want live fodder to rape. If you're up 3 levels, control the map and are mopping up, you've won. Why would you be concerned if your opponent stays or not? You get the same points all the same. You just want to rub it in their face. No fun humiliating an AI, it can't feel pain.

These anti-leaving policies only promote these sadistic powertripping behavior that will cause more rifts and kill the fun for more players. Not to mention introduce the host of other griefing/ afking activities that are bound to occur.

RQ is not a one dimensional problem. Sometimes people go because they're not having fun, sometimes people go because RL occurs, sometimes people go because of other abusive players. Using an automated system to judge and assign fault for 'ruining' a game is bound to see flaws, abuses, and eventually corruption.

The developers would benefit more with fixing match making to ensure games are challenging for all players, adjusting AI so that it doesn't just feed the opponent, making 1 leaver not completely wreck a game, and providing better tutorial and connection support.

There are so many things more to fix than "rage-quitting" in this game. They even let the server crash for the entirety of this Saturday. Maybe the developers rage-quit tonight too. I wonder what their disconnect% is at.

June 7, 2009 9:02:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

will the concede vote be 51%  wins or everyone 100% wins?

I would work on making the game stable and multiplayer connectivity ping issues before you try to police Rage quits which seems like a dumb idea.  I havent rage quit once and I find it annoying but doing this seems far more annoying.  I dont want to feel locked in a game especially if I join a game where its a cute 5 year old playing on daddys comp.  

I think not getting favor/losing favor is a better approach, if rage quitting is really an issue.  I haven't run into a situtaion where rage quit ruined my game.  This idea has many loop holes (afk / feed oppsing team money) what happens to people that still have connection issues that get booted mid game? etc... 

policing rage quits should be patch 1.5 if at all because ultimatley it will be inefective.  Work on new content, stabilization, dedicated servers anything else.  RQ efforts are not worth it and futile

June 7, 2009 10:37:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As long as DG can consistently tell the difference between d/c's because of callstack CTD's and purposeful d/c's, I'll be very happy with this first round implementation.

As to the above, I'm pretty sure that you'd figure it out within the first 3 minutes or so whether you're playing with daddy's little princess.  Plus, you know there's always that pre-game lobby thing.

June 7, 2009 10:47:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I didn't read through all these posts, and I'm sure it's been mentioned, but often, you can figure out how good your opponents are in the first 3 minutes. I believe a lot of people will take advantage of the new rule and just quit. We already have enough problems with people quitting... this will only make it worse.

There's already rather little risk involved in playing (well, relatively speaking, since it's a game, after all), and giving people a way out will turn Demigod into more of a 'demigame' than it already is where people spend more time looking for games with all the connectivity issues and ragequits than actually playing.

June 7, 2009 6:11:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There are a multitude of things all leading to hard feelings with this game.  Ragequiting (because you are losing, or because you THINK you MIGHT lose) is just plain rude, unless, they impliment the conceede option.  I think that will help a lot.  Kind'a like when you tip over your king in chess to conceede the game.

Rankings are going to be needed too, so experienced players can play with like players, and noobs or people that just want a "fun" game can play together too.  Then it would be much less likely people will RQ because of "That $%&* feeder on our team" type situation.

And although you can call your custom game anything you want, there REALLY needs to be something simular like in Supremem Commander; where you can choose a "casual" game, or "Ranked".  This will get the people that are there only to win, and the people that are learning, or just  want a quick/casual game seperated.

For the rest of the people, that all of the above does not filter out (and who keep explainig why they think it's ok to RQ), I'm wondering:  If you keep explaining "why" it should be ok for you to RQ any time you want, then way are you worried about putting that on your record?  You can quit the game any time you want, and we don't have to play with you any time we want; it seems to all work out.  Or maybe it's because you can no longer RQ anonymously.

June 7, 2009 11:33:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Andianqz,

If the developers simply spend some time in losing matches and experience the combination of helplessness, repeated massacring and barrage of putdown and name calling that occur it would be perfectly clear why people leave. The only reason people complain about RQ is because these pathetic saps want live fodder to rape. If you're up 3 levels, control the map and are mopping up, you've won. Why would you be concerned if your opponent stays or not? You get the same points all the same. You just want to rub it in their face. No fun humiliating an AI, it can't feel pain.

These anti-leaving policies only promote these sadistic powertripping behavior that will cause more rifts and kill the fun for more players. Not to mention introduce the host of other griefing/ afking activities that are bound to occur.

I agree that the planned changes will lead to griefing in the place of rage-quits.

However, I think your assessment of the reason people complain about RQ is way off base.  I would venture very few people are upset about not being able to "rape live fodder" as you so gently put it.  I just don't want to be stuck playing a 20-30 minute comp stomp.  You said "you get the same points all the same," which is ONLY true if the winners stick around and finish the game.  If someone rage-quit in the first 2 minutes because they died battling at a flag, then you have a rather long and un-fun game to play in order to get your deserved FAVOR and the WIN.  Ya... if you don't finish that (possibly long) comp stomp you will get a loss in the pantheon, if it bothers to record the game at all.  Nobody is complaining about their opponent leaving when their citadel is under assault by giants.

June 8, 2009 8:34:24 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting angryandroid,

you cant punish people for not wanting to play with you.

We dont want to punish them, its just we dont want to play with them either.

funny this whole thing is about the rage quitters not wanting to play with certain people so they leave. now you dont want to play with them either and that perfectly ok! i hope stardock comes up with fancy ideas to force you play with the ragequitters just like how they are going to force ragequitters to play with you.

yes forcing people with ragequits to the bottom of the list for random games is punishment. people that rage want to play good games too people dont seem to get this. thats why they leave because it wasnt fun. now they will have a hard time finding any game period.

June 8, 2009 9:42:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I going to have to say that I agree we need the 3 minute rule after experiancing both lag filled games and games when somone had sim speed of -2.

Lag games I immediatly quite if it doesnt get better withing the first few minutes if the problems do not dissappear. Those games are totally unplayable IMO, and I'm not going be trying to enjoy one of those game when i can rejoin and have lag a free gaming experiance. 

Recently I had the joy of playing a sim speed of -2 game; one person had an awful computer (or his graphics were set way to high). I made the mistake that I decided to stay fight this one out. After an hour real-time, the game clock was still showing that only 22 minutes had passed !!!> The game was also slowly slipping out our team's reach, as the other teams Beast became a killing machine.

But I still think the best solution for a rage quiter player is to give his team a slight advantage. You do this by taking the exp, gold the demigod had and average it out between his teammates. You drop his items near the regular shop in-base or convert them straight to gold, and then you remove his demigod completly. This exp boost will give a better advantage to the remaining players. It might even be a viable strategy for the lowest hero to quit mid-game so that his team can pull out a win

June 8, 2009 12:16:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Skullonius,

All I want is the option to know what kind of player I am gaming with  before I commit 30mins+ of my time not to mention the 5-10+minutes of lobby time. If its not important to you then ignore it and play with other high percentage people who wont care about you being in their lobby. I dont see the problem.

Unfortunately, another three pages of discussion indicates that even if you don't see a problem, other people do.

What I'm talking about IS about "knowing what kind of player I'm gaming with".  If you have separate server pools, using two separate sets of meta-rules, people divide themselves using that.  Then they further divide themselves by chosing whether to play skirmish or custom games, what rules they have in play, etcs.  Then, if Stardock made these RQ rules optional, they could further filter themselves by choosing how 'strict' a contest they want.  So, you could decide to only play games on the 'pro' servers with full strictness on - and you would know that you would be playing against people who consider themselves experts, who are willing to stay in battle to the bitter end.

But I don't think that's going to happen, because Stardock's resources aren't infinite; and at some point, they have to figure out which group of consumers to concentrate on. 

I, personally, ignore the problem entirely by only playing single player.  I'm just pointing out that conversations like this will go around in circles forever, because there's no solution.  Either everybody gets to choose what they want, or some group is going to be disappointed.

JGH

June 8, 2009 2:37:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've written more about this, if anyone is interested: https://forums.demigodthegame.com/355502

June 8, 2009 3:48:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is turning into a DOTA system and Im lol'ing at it all.

D% = Local Banlist

Get enuf local bans and you will be on everyones banlist in a sense lol
Just like the closer you are to 100% The less people will want you to play with them.

We all know how perfect the DOTA system is. lol

(FYI, Im fine with all this I am not being negative, just point stuff out.)

June 14, 2009 7:29:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Games that last less than 3 minutes aren’t counted. If you get into a game where it’s lagging or you have an obnoxious partner or opponent or someone has a very slow sim speed, you can quit in those first few minutes, no harm, no foul.

Does that means if I get a 2v1 in Pantheon and I quit I get nether a disconnect nor a lose when it's under 3 minutes?

Or do I get both if the enemies stay ingame and just I leave? Because currently the game would still continue which means it is longer than 3 min even if I leave.

June 14, 2009 12:29:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting HateForest,
Froggy, instead of punishing players for leaving a game THEY ARE NOT ENJOYING, why not implement a proper ranking system? That way you KNOW you aren't gonna be playing against noobs. This should be more important than punishing players who do get stuck with a team who has no idea and get squished.

Quoting DeadMG,
I think the fact that people RQ in droves is a demonstration that the game is decided far too early. Demigod kills give half a trillion times too much gold, and the game is over after the first few. A couple of kills early on can easily be a new armor or mana item, which is far too much. That's assuming you're not saving and didn't buy both, or HoL.

When people RQ, you should ask yourself why they feel that the game is no longer worth continuing, and try to deal with that first.

Great, great, wonderful quotes.

Demigod must have some fundamental flaw buried deep in its gameplay somewhere, which causes this rampart "rage quitting" phenomenon.

I have made two threads on this topic already, where I'ved tried to attack the root of the problem:

Please read the comments in those threads before you post, there are a lot of great points being raised in some of them and I'm not claiming to be 100% accurate in my opening posts. Finally, I'll attach this image, which is discussed in the "design flaw" thread, but which I still think illustrates the "feeling" of a Demigod game pretty good:

June 14, 2009 3:40:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've suggested multiple times a much better way of handling this.

I guess we can look forward to even more severe griefing. People will be afk'ing and they will be suiciding. Thanks so much for that....

June 14, 2009 3:56:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If adding ragequit counter.... don't forget to reset all Stats.

I don't want to get kicked because there were serious connection problems in the past.

I can remember a day i regequitted like 10 games in a row because of heavy lagging, slow motion, hang up in the loading screen or get into a 2on1 or even 2on0.

I think someone said that before and you won't be that stupid to not reset the stats but... i want to be sure...

June 14, 2009 4:10:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

They said all old stats will be archived and a fresh stats program will begin; i.e. Epoch 1 and 2.

June 15, 2009 10:58:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Two ideas:

1. Extending the no foul period to 5 minutes and allowing the concede ability after 5 minutes.  I honestly think this could take care of it.

2. Perhaps there should just be the option when creating the game to have it D% ranked or not...

June 16, 2009 1:41:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you do not want rage quits, then you have to give more information about the players BEFORE the game starts.  I am so sick of getting into games against a set team with a bunch of people that have 3x the number of losses on their records than they do wins - even when the games say "good players only."  Of course I am going to quit when 5 minutes in my team has fed them 6 deaths to none.  My "enjoyment time" is far more valuable than to hang around getting stomped for 30 minutes with a team that can't read the damn title.

So before I start a game, I want to quickly be able to see a person's win/loss record.  That will cut my rage quits to almost nil.

June 16, 2009 5:32:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The gold income from killing players is too high. It is the primary reason behind the general case of imbalanced games and the need for a concede option at all. The gold income per kill means that if you have a couple of more team deaths than your oponents you are most likely going to lose.

Everyones counting deaths all the time, and if your entire team isnt up to snuff then you are once again likely going to lose. There is too much emphasis on NOT DYING as compared to playing well and having the ability to come back. Yes, games can turn around but it's not the case the majority of times.

I die very few times in any game (often 0), but I cant always rely on my team mates not to give away the gold. It makes too much of a difference in the game because the oponents get the gold and get the items and you get steamrolled and you have rage quits and a desperate need for concedes.

Most game outcomes are deteremined in the first 5-10 minutes. Thats not the way it should be. Being downed and not earning cash and not contributing to the tactical landscape during your death time should almost be enough of a penalty. This all sounds like blah blah blah anyway as I'm kinda drunk so take it as you will.

June 16, 2009 6:23:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The system leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

I've got ~1400 xp and get a ally with 400 xp matched up against 2 guys with 1100 xp...

Chances to win this are 0

If i stay in game, i will loose a serious amount of xp... to get it back i will need at minimum 5 wins if the enemies don't have sth. like 1500 xp.

Thats why i RQd 1 game today.

we just need a good matchmaking system to matchup people of the same level... if you got this, you can count every disc as an loss... should be a much better system

On the other hand.... i've won a game with a guy that had his first online match against some people with 1100+ XP ^^ but that's for sure not common

June 16, 2009 7:42:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dear Players,

there is no RageQuitting or whatever u call it, it is just a weakness of your personality.

All the relevant arguments have been made already. But all together there is no excuse for "Running Home To Mommy".

To the players who lose a game: Stay and give ur best till the very end. Not more Not Less...that makes u a good loser.

To the players who win a game: Win the game when u have the chance to, dont torture. That makes u a good winner.

To the players who want to argue pro-ragequitting    forget it....ur just hillarious...im not even interested in your opinions.

To the players who argue contra-ragequitting.....keep on playing with some honor....world is wyrmish enough

eeeeeeeeeeeee da micro

June 16, 2009 8:05:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like the proposed concede/rage quite changes.

You either learn to lose with dignity or get a rage quit award.

or you simply get your team to concede. perfect.

June 16, 2009 8:17:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

hey frogboy, do you think we can get the narrator of the intro to say a sentence to a rage quitter.

something like "You have fled the battle. The other demigods continue their epic struggle while you abandoned the path to ascension burning with unholy raaaage." with the full gravitas of the excellent speaker.

June 16, 2009 9:31:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd REALLY urge you to make conceeding a unanimous rather than majority descision.  The reason is if one person thinks they can still win the game then theres oppertunity to argue about it and change your mind later but if you end it prematurely thats it over.

This unanimous approach is the way dota-league works and I've been in many games where 4/5 have conceeded and we still manage to pull it back from the brink for a win.  Especially as the game evolves and (hopefully) there are more ways of reversing bad fortune.

June 16, 2009 10:35:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

"If i stay in game, i will loose a serious amount of xp... to get it back i will need at minimum 5 wins if the enemies don't have sth. like 1500 xp."

And? XP isn't everything. I have literally no idea what my XP is. I play because it's fun and because it's a challenge.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000687   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.