The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Rage Quits and v1.1 of Demigod talk

By on June 3, 2009 4:15:22 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Developer Gas Powered Games and publisher Stardock are working on version 1.1 of Demigod which we hope to be out in the next few weeks.

Next week we’ll have a more formal preview of v1.1 but one of the things we’re going to be focusing on is the issue of rage quits.

Here is how we plan to handle them:

Team Concede

A team can concede the game. If the majority of a team chooses to concede, the game ends. No harm no foul.

Rage Quits

If a person quits the game without the team concede and the game lasts more than 10 minutes longer, that person gets a rage quit. In the connection dialog, that person’s rage quitting percentage will be displayed as “Disconnect %”. Players with a high Disconnect % will likely get booted in lobbies and will be put further back in line for skirmish and pantheon games.

Early Quits

Games that last less than 3 minutes aren’t counted. If you get into a game where it’s lagging or you have an obnoxious partner or opponent or someone has a very slow sim speed, you can quit in those first few minutes, no harm, no foul.

+897 Karma | 192 Replies
June 3, 2009 4:21:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OMG.  Awesome ideas!!!

June 3, 2009 4:21:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hi Frogboy,

I really don't like hassling you about it but do you know whne smart proxies will be good to go? It would be nice to be able to get decent proxy pings to people in the Oceania region (I'm in New Zealand).

Thanks,

Silk

June 3, 2009 4:23:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

June 3, 2009 4:23:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hows about a Random Teams option for custom games?  Maybe even allow Random Demigod selection, too?

June 3, 2009 4:29:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Shouldn't you be at E3 now?

June 3, 2009 4:33:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Stardock doesn't do E3. They should be at PAX again this year, though.

June 3, 2009 4:41:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like were these is going.  Some thoughts...

As I see it a pretty common scenario is a Ragequiter flips out and quits within 3 minutes of the game start.  So now the rest of the participants have 3 options as I see it:

1.  Everyone quits right after - Ragequiter ruins the game and does not get a rage quit (I'm not a fan of this)

2.  Everyone left concedes - Ragequiter does not get a rage quit (I'm not a fan of this)

3.  Everyone is forced to stay 10 more minutes at minimum before conceding in order for that rage quiter to recieve a rage quit (I like this option better, but still seems long)

I think the 3 minut Early Quit timer is "ok" (2 min might better if the clock starts when you can first move), but maybe the 10 min timer should be lowered to 5 min?  This way you can make sure the rage quiter gets his rage quit and also means your team can concede earlier.

June 3, 2009 5:07:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I find this idea terrible personally. It generally takes me much longer than 3 minutes before I realize my team is full of noobs and I don't want to play with them. But if I get a bunch of disconnect% I will be kicked from lobbies-- so I won't be able to play.. despite having purchased the game =/. So now, in situations where I currently would leave and be able to play another game and enjoy demigod I will be stuck. First thing that comes to my mind will be that I'll hit the concede button, afk and alt tab and do something else.  It feels like that would ruin the game all the same-- but it's the only way I can continue to play demigod in the future, lest I be branded with a scarlet letter. Or if I have nothing else to do and want to play another match I will just feed the opponent until we are hopelessly outmatched and my team finally gives up and concedes. Doesn't sound great either.

I put these comments out now.. because I feel I'm not the only one who will think along these lines. Maybe you can anticipate this problem ahead of time Stardock/GPG.

I'm happy with the game the way it is now. I like being able to leave when I've lost or when I'm on a team with people I dislike.

It's a video game, I don't need a permanent record.

June 3, 2009 5:12:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I promise i will rage quit everytime my DG dies or loses a kill because of the ability attack bug.

Maybe in 1.1 that bug will be fixed for good. Maybe, just maybe. Or maybe not. TBH, after the 1.01 mess, i'm not so excited about 1.1. Not at all.

I really, really don't care about rage quitters at this point. The game still has much greater problems than this.

June 3, 2009 5:15:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I find this idea terrible personally. It generally takes me much longer than 3 minutes before I realize my team is full of noobs and I don't want to play with them.

You do know that narcisism and online gaming is not a good combo?

I don't want my time wasted by someone who decides I'm a "noob" and quits 10 minutes into the game. 

June 3, 2009 5:23:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My Impulse crashed so IDK if you recieved what I said.

I think the fact that people RQ in droves is a demonstration that the game is decided far too early. Demigod kills give half a trillion times too much gold, and the game is over after the first few. A couple of kills early on can easily be a new armor or mana item, which is far too much. That's assuming you're not saving and didn't buy both, or HoL.

When people RQ, you should ask yourself why they feel that the game is no longer worth continuing, and try to deal with that first.

June 3, 2009 5:32:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

One problem I see in conceding is that it might lead to favor farming in custom games. Two friends play one side each, and alternatingly concede.

Not a huge deal, I suppose, but a consideration.

June 3, 2009 5:34:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Andianqz,
I find this idea terrible personally. It generally takes me much longer than 3 minutes before I realize my team is full of noobs and I don't want to play with them.

For me that would be the same as rage quiting.

You'll leave your so called "noob" teammates alone and ruin the fun for them.

Sooner or later the "pros" will only play matches within their own ranks anyway.

June 3, 2009 5:40:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If a person quits the game without the team concede and the game lasts more than 10 minutes longer, that person gets a rage quit.
Games that last less than 3 minutes aren’t counted.

So what is between the 3 minutes and the 10 ? Disconnected ?

June 3, 2009 5:44:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Please don't term it "rage quit" in the game. There are many legitimate reasons for quitting even if your team doesn't concede, and we don't need to label every quit with the term "rage quit".

June 3, 2009 5:44:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

if you allow quitting in the first 3 minutes of a match you allow people to dodge good opponents to get to the top of the rankings.

If you already implement a concede vote, I could imagine it wouldn't be that much work to also implement a mutual game abort/draw where the majority of both teams have to agree.

June 3, 2009 5:45:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think these are great ideas, keep up the good ideas.   Team concede would save me so much stress when my teamates just up and leave the game ~_~ No one likes to be called a ragequitter for leaving when you only teamates are AI that are drawn to towers like bugs to a bugzapper.

June 3, 2009 5:47:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So what is between the 3 minutes and the 10 ? Disconnected ?

It gets counted as a RageQuit, and so will show up as a disconect.

Overall I like your idea's. They aren't perfect, but they are by far the best possible solution to rage quits and disconects thats probably possilbe now so awesome job

June 3, 2009 5:49:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great ideas, perfect....finally we will be able to kick RQ from lobby before they ruin the game. Can you add to that an experience/rank indicator/filter? so people can play with good/new players as they really intend to?

June 3, 2009 5:52:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I like these ideas - my only concern is that I still experience a significant number of disconnects simply from the game crashing.

June 3, 2009 6:01:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Long time lurker,

I've been playing Demigod on and off hosting Custom games over the course of everything going on. I'd like to start by saying the 1.01 patch made the game run MUCH smoother and the proxy/NAT changes seem to allow almost everyone to connect to the games I'm hosting. There are still a few people with network problems, and I see they are the most vocal here. It might help to know that a majority of people are not experiencing problems, and this is just from observing connection trends in the games I host.

That being said, this "Team Concede" option is what scares me about the Rage Quit protection method. While it would be nice to see a rage quit %, I don't want every single Demigod game to come down to when the other team "thinks" they are behind. I see games getting turned around all the time, but if the team had to option to end it there they drop a perfectly good match because they aren't dominating.

I don't want every single Demigod match to come down to whenever a bunch of people "think" they have lost. 

June 3, 2009 6:04:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yea dude.  Bad news:  you're the target demographic here.  Your behavior here is exactly the type of destructive behavior that the rest of us want to weed out.  I'm happy that you aren't happy because I don't want to play with people who ragequit because their team is full of noobs.

Gotta learn to be a little more patient with the noobs.

I promise i will rage quit everytime my DG dies or loses a kill because of the ability attack bug.

And you, you're the target demographic also.  It kinda makes sense that you aren't jazzed about the idea:  you're the one we're weeding out.

June 3, 2009 6:10:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well lets hope that all the people bitching about the so called rage quit will now promptly stfu and stop clogging up the god damn forums about it.

June 3, 2009 6:11:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I don't want my time wasted by someone who decides I'm a "noob" and quits 10 minutes into the game. 

Thank you VERY much Frogboy, that's exactly what I was thinking: Quitting because you suspect other players may not be as skilled as you is very "ragequiting".  Maybe they are new; maybe they just got off to a bad start; maybe they are great players but just spilled coffiee on their crotch; So your going to ruin the entire game for 7 other people because you don't get people as incredible as you to assure you an absoulute win???

I have to say, even IF it does happen I or others get a ragequit rating from a DC, I still love RageQuit rating, because you know the person is either a mega bad sport, or, he has major connection issues with the game that will have the same effect on the game as if he had "rage quit".  Either way, at least you know in advance.  It's your reputation with people in-game that counts, and anyone that's played with or against me knows I play to the end (even with 3 bots as my alli) unless the other team asks for a conceede.  Then I'm "GG".  If I happend to get some RQs on my record, I know people I've already played with will still want me in the game reguardless. 

June 3, 2009 6:21:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

hehe.  awesome...

That's a pretty lousy attitude.  Thanks for being honest, but pretend you are part of an online community.  Some people are better than you, some worse.  Ruining the experience for others by quiting because people aren't as good as you is pretty lame.  Hopefully people above your high level of talent will quit when they get stuck with you. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000657   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.