The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

New Demigod Concept - Occult

By on June 1, 2009 5:52:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

First and foremost, I don't like long drawn out posts. I haven't done any fine tuning or any background story. I'm just getting an idea out. However, I highly encourage feedback and suggestions.

Occult - General Type

I wanted him to be a control-based demigod who used trickery or deception. He could resemble an demonic imp or chaotic apparition. He has low health, mid speed, and a higher mana pool. A unique aspect to Occult is that his minions (replicas) look exactly like him, making him much more difficult to target. Also, if his replicas are not already doing something and are close enough, they are the ones who use the activated skills instead of Occult. This allows for multiple skills to be used simultaneously.

Abilities - ()** designates higher ranks

1. Replicate - Occult manifests an identical-looking replica of himself. Activated. Fixed mana cost. (Higher ranks allow for more replicas/reduced cost, etc.)

2. Unnatural Bond - A percentage of damage taken by Occult is redirected to his closest replica. Passive. (Higher ranks allow for larger percent of damage to be redirected. In addition, when a replica dies due to this damage, Occult is healed for ... health.)

3. Planar Shift - Occult and his replicas take a percentage less damage from AoE and DoT abilities. Passive. (Higher ranks reduce damage taken.)

4. Conjure Rift - Occult /or his closest replica conjures a rift of chaotic energy at target location, causing damage over time to all enemies and draining mana from enemy demigods. Channeled. Drains mana. (Higher ranks cause more damage and drain more mana.)

5. Mental Instability - Whenever Occult takes damage, a percentage of that damage is restored in mana. Passive. (Higher ranks also increase his attack/casting speed.)

6. Enthrall - Occult /or his closest replica enthrall target, placing him in a state of unconciousness, preventing all action done for ... secs. Damage caused interupts this effect. Channeled. Fixed mana cost. (Higher ranks increase time.)

7. Incite Paranoia - Occult /or his closest replica possesses the target, enraging and causing him to attack his allies for ... secs. Channeled. Fixed mana cost. (Higher ranks increase time and strength of enrage.)

Let me know what you think. 

+1 Karma | 9 Replies
June 1, 2009 7:37:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Seems interesting and certainly a unique concept. I see a lot of staying power but not so much in the way of damage.

June 1, 2009 8:10:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well as I said, he's meant to be control.

However, his conjure rift can be used as long as he has the mana for it. Thus, say he has 4 replicas. One of his replicas uses Conjure rift. Then he has 3 versions of himself that autoattack WHILE his rift is being maintained.

Also, Incite Paranoia not only acts as an effective CC but it increases the damage of the other demigod while he's attacking his OWN allies. This can be seen as more damage as well.

I didn't wanna give him too many damaging abilites for the same reason that makes him unique. He can channel a rift WHILE possessing an enemy demigod WHILE autoattacking.

June 2, 2009 4:15:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Seems wierd that he or his replicas can cast his spells. It could be too powerful if a replica casts a channeled spell while the main occult attacks, or having each replica cast a different channeled spell.

June 2, 2009 10:30:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That's the point.

I do agree however that this can be very powerful, which is why I didn't really post numbers. Because he can cast multiple spells and still autoattack, his skills would have to be toned down a bit from other demigods. But the fact that he can do multiple things at once requires much more skill to manage without going oom within 3 secs.

June 2, 2009 3:25:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As I see it, unless you put severe limitations, this demigod will be OP. It will have castable minions that cast demigod level spells on its own, while giving 0 risk to the original character.

Some possible suggestions you can think about to limit replicas are:

- Replicas do no damage at lower levels and only upto 25% base damage at higher levels

- Replicas require recasting every ## seconds (30 seconds sounds okay but can be increased with skills)

- Replicas have a damage received multiplier of 1.5x and have no armor mitigation.

- Casting a replica requires you to use both health and mana (let's say 25% per replica but reduced to 12.5% per at higher levels) with a maximum of 4 replicas so 50% hp/mp.

I understand the control concept, but unless you nerf these, they will provide a method to have almost 0 risk on the original demigod if played smart (ie, sit back, let the replica suicide on retreating enemies past their towers to get a kill, etc.)

June 2, 2009 6:00:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Personally i think this idea is great... brazen is right though except about the damage multiplier and recasting. I also think that the multiple spells at once would be a great idea. Except that incite paranoia shouldn't be demigod targetable use it on Giants and have that gaint prioritize the lowest health demigod in area. This player could also be mechanical using automatons for replicas that explode on death for x damage (NOT TOO HIGH). And most of what he does could be mechanical.

June 3, 2009 6:07:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Brazen,
As I see it, unless you put severe limitations, this demigod will be OP. It will have castable minions that cast demigod level spells on its own, while giving 0 risk to the original character.

Demigod level spells isn't quite what I'm going for here. And there are limitations to his abilities. Allow me to elaborate.

For one, I haven't added numbers yet. Meaning, since he can indeed use multiple skills/autoattack simultaneously, that the effectiveness of his skills would be toned down when compared directly with the abilities of other demigods.

To be more specific and to give everyone a better understanding, here's an example of what I'm thinking..

Conjure Rift - This ability is Occult's main damage dealing skill. It acts very similar to TB's Circle of Fire except that it is ranged and it is channeled. Circle of Fire requires TB to be in near-melee range or use it and retreat a bit, which in my opinion clashes with his playstyle. But regardless, Conjure Rift also drains a very small amount of mana as well. With the way health stacking is these days, I find this to be a much better repellant than straight-up damage, especially end game. However, since this skill is ranged AND drains mana, it would have to have a serious mana cost OR do little damage.

Quoting Brazen,
Some possible suggestions you can think about to limit replicas are:

- Replicas do no damage at lower levels and only upto 25% base damage at higher levels

- Replicas require recasting every ## seconds (30 seconds sounds okay but can be increased with skills)

- Replicas have a damage received multiplier of 1.5x and have no armor mitigation.

- Casting a replica requires you to use both health and mana (let's say 25% per replica but reduced to 12.5% per at higher levels) with a maximum of 4 replicas so 50% hp/mp.

I understand the control concept, but unless you nerf these, they will provide a method to have almost 0 risk on the original demigod if played smart (ie, sit back, let the replica suicide on retreating enemies past their towers to get a kill, etc.)

Okay, my intention is NOT that he can just send his replicas out and have them act seemingly independently in another lane or chasing into a base, casting abilites as if they were the actual demigod.

Occult's replicas are just minions that LOOK exactly like him. They aren't genuine copies of the demigod, meaning their damage and hp would be similar to that of other minions, and everything else that entails. Minions are easy to kill which would make running into an enemy base pointless because the towers would just about one-shot them. Also another thought I was playing with would be that his replicas have to stay within a certain radius of Occult or they would die.

Also, I don't know if I've made it clear exactly how I would like the skills to function. All the skills used will use mana from Occult. So when one of his replicas casts Conjure Rift, Occult will constantly have his mana drained because it is a channeled spell. Perhaps, in order to keep him from using this skill indefinately in a lane, the mana cost could increase the longer it's channeled. For example, at initial cast it drains 5 mana per second and at 10 secs channeled, it drains 50 mana per second. Another point I want to make clear as I subtley mentioned above, his minions can only cast the spells if they are CLOSE to Occult. I do NOT want him to be able to send a replica to another lane and have that replica channel Conjure Rift while Occult is autoattacking in a seperate lane, resulting in absurd amounts of exp.

I hope this addresses your concern about 0 risk or at least clears things up a bit.

Quoting XaviorsFist,
Personally i think this idea is great... brazen is right though except about the damage multiplier and recasting. I also think that the multiple spells at once would be a great idea. Except that incite paranoia shouldn't be demigod targetable use it on Giants and have that gaint prioritize the lowest health demigod in area. This player could also be mechanical using automatons for replicas that explode on death for x damage (NOT TOO HIGH). And most of what he does could be mechanical.

I'm glad you like it  

As far as taking over Giants instead of demigods, that's incredibly limited to just Giants which aren't even seen in many games. And what if a demigod wasn't nearby? Would he just stand there until the effect wore off? Also, I think it would be harder to reprogram a creep to prioritize low health on a nearby enemy demigod than it would be to temporary make an enemy demigod act like a friendly creep.

While the exploding on death would be neat, and I appreciate the feedback, it takes away from the character in many ways. If he were mechanical several of his skills wouldn't makes sense, Conjure Rift / Mental Instability / Enthrall. I feel like these are more trickster/manipulated chaos kind of skills which fit an imp or some ghostly apparition. Also, because of Unnatural Bond and the fact that you don't know whether you're attacking the demigod or a replica, killing his replicas is his main weakness. He uses them to blend in, cast spells, and to take damage for him. So if you gave his replicas the ability to explode on death, that would border on being very overpowered. You wouldn't want to kill his replicas because they would hurt you but that's one of the main ways to kill him.

And I hate long posts.. such a hypocrite lol

June 4, 2009 5:06:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well i lend my support to your idea. As you said above in response to me i agree with you. Imp he shall be. But the word replica to me sort of intaled some sort of mechanics involved. How about a skill called Spawn Shapeshifters. This would fit the imp-like characteristics while still invovling the magic instead of mechanical connotation.

June 4, 2009 6:17:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting XaviorsFist,
Well i lend my support to your idea. As you said above in response to me i agree with you. Imp he shall be. But the word replica to me sort of intaled some sort of mechanics involved. How about a skill called Spawn Shapeshifters. This would fit the imp-like characteristics while still invovling the magic instead of mechanical connotation.

Shapeshifters <-- I like

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.