The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod 108 Hour Work Week - Part 2

By on June 1, 2009 10:28:05 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Last week, we showed Part 1 of the Demigod behind the scenes documentary, and Part 2 is now ready.  This latest video was recorded in the early morning hours with some of the game and Impulse team.

+462 Karma | 38 Replies
June 2, 2009 12:14:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I will be very surprise if they aren't getting 100k or more yearly.

June 2, 2009 8:27:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Excellent video - it's great to see the people who are helping make this game work, and who we owe a lot of thanks too.

Looking forward to part three!

June 2, 2009 10:21:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And with their job "not on the line" (to quote Frogboy), money isn't an issue.
Pure BS. How long you tink they'd last if they told Frogboy to screw off?

June 2, 2009 10:44:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Blitz64,

The exact numbers weren't the point of the post.  Though I thought game programmers were more poorly paid than that!

Pure BS. How long you tink they'd last if they told Frogboy to screw off?

Screw off?  Probably not long.  If they told him they weren't staying until the middle of next morning...  probably a while; as he put it, 'their jobs were not on the line'.

June 2, 2009 11:03:33 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Btw, what's up with the american flag? I thought you guys were canadian.
There are Canadians that work here but we are based in Plymouth, MI.

June 2, 2009 12:27:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That little pond should be extended into a moat. With alligators. Hungry ones. Or at least sharks with frickin' laser beams.

June 2, 2009 2:16:14 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Actually there's a monster turtle in there, codename: nessie.

June 2, 2009 2:27:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Pic or it didn't happen

June 2, 2009 3:04:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have heard of such a turtle but have not seen it (yet).

Have you seen the gigantic spider though?  http://forums.wincustomize.com/?aid=313453

June 2, 2009 3:05:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Btw, what's up with the american flag? I thought you guys were canadian.

Well, Ironclad, the developpers of Sins of a Sorra empire, game published by Stardock, are canadians ....

June 3, 2009 12:26:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Blitz64,

If Stardock pays that much I would be extremely interested in a position writing client/server code. According to the latest Game Developer Salary Survey, this is not the case. Since these individuals are not entirely game developers it's possible they fall under system architects and software engineers, or quality assurance, that doesn't get the salary anywhere close to what the average is.

Source: http://www.seriousgamessource.com/item.php?story=23264

"average American game industry salary in 2008 of $79,000, a 7% increase from 2007’s figure of nearly $74,000."

Programming: programmers are the highest paid talent next to high-end businesspeople, with an average annual salary of $85,024. Experience pays in this role, as those with greater than six years of experience earned 26% more than the average annual salary.

Art & Animation: artists – averaging a $69,532 salary, nonetheless, 28% of art directors reported lower salaries than the previous year. But these more experienced, higher status artists also tend to earn at least 35% more than those with less experience and lower title.

Game Design: averaging $67,379, design positions sprouted an average $3,730 over last year.

Production: of all the game development disciplines, production – with a salary average overall of $82,905 – is the most welcoming to women, with 21% of the workforce made up of females – more than twice the industry average.

Quality Assurance: testers with less than three years experience make up the largest percentage of this segment – 46%. Quality assurance is the lowest paid of the game development disciplines, averaging $39,571 – almost flat to 2007

Audio: sound designers as a group earned 6% more than they did in 2007, up $4,758 on average over last year to $78,167. 74% of audio developers reported that their salaries increased over 2007.

Business & Marketing: the business field as a whole remains the highest compensated group in game development - with an average salary of $102,143 - and also receives the highest amount of additional compensation.

So before assuming they are paid well because they work hard, realize that these individuals have to have extensive experience to get what you feel they deserve to be making. Many of them will work for less because they'd rather do something they enjoy than do something they don't and get paid more. It's a rough industry with a high turnover rate. For these people to be there 9 years is credit to them. Though if they were exclusively a game publisher the odds of them existing that long is a lot less likely.

June 3, 2009 9:58:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's not always about money and job security - there's also pride. This is a GREAT game that is having a very bumpy start.  When you've created something that gets such fanfare and reviews, you live through it and want it to succeed.  The developers and support staff have put way too much into DG to let it die on the vine.  As long as us (players/fans) and Stardock have their back, they'll work hard to keep improving DG to be the best it can be.

June 3, 2009 11:37:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I dont know about other people but when i work, no matter the pay, as long as the job is tolerable i do the best damn job i can do. Even back to my McJob i had pride for my customer service skills. There are people out there who see their work as their fingerprint. If my name was on a game i helped design, i sure hell would do anyhting i could to make it succeed.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.