The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Can't figure portforwarding

By on May 30, 2009 5:07:52 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've tried portforwarding countless of times and counter-checked with PFPortchecker, and Portchecker claims my ports are always closed. I followed Portforward's guide correctly for my 2Wire router but it doesn't work. I've disabled all my firewalls before conducting the check but to no avail.

Apparently, my network map is a little different from the rest. Its like this:

Wall phone line socket/Internet >> Router >> PC

Yes, I have no modem, weirdly. Maybe my router works as both a modem and router. No clue.

So, does this mean I am unable to play Demigod online? Every other guide I've read tells me to connect directly to modem etc. Problem is, I have no modem! I've yet to come across anyone with a similar situation as me. Does this mean I would be unable to play Demigod online?

Router: 2Wire 2701HGV-E

ANY help appreciated.

0 Karma | 10 Replies
May 30, 2009 5:16:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A quick googling tells me that this piece of equipment is indeed your modem as well.

If you are sure that you configured your router correctly, the problem could very likely be upstream.

It couldn't hurt anything to give your ISP a call and ask if they are blocking the traffic destined to those ports.

May 30, 2009 6:13:06 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting BigAbboTT,
A quick googling tells me that this piece of equipment is indeed your modem as well.

If you are sure that you configured your router correctly, the problem could very likely be upstream.

It couldn't hurt anything to give your ISP a call and ask if they are blocking the traffic destined to those ports.

Lets say they are. Then what would happen? I'll be unable to play Demigod completely?

Well, I am better at computer hardware than computer networking, so pardon me for my ignorance.

May 30, 2009 6:36:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ignorance?

I was just trying to help.

*slowly shuffles out of the thread*

Edit: Oh wait. Maybe you were being sincere. I didn't sleep last night. Comprehension is a bit low right now.

May 30, 2009 10:21:15 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting BigAbboTT,
Ignorance?

I was just trying to help.

*slowly shuffles out of the thread*

Edit: Oh wait. Maybe you were being sincere. I didn't sleep last night. Comprehension is a bit low right now.

No offence intended. Was pointing ignorance to myself > < I suck very badly in networking and I get REALLY confused with all the terms the guides use like UPnP/NAT w/e w/e. I can't make out what they mean, nor does my router's page have any relevant information or option on them, so I've really hit a wall.

Any help appreciated

May 30, 2009 6:24:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If its saying your ports are not open, then they simply may not be open. Make sure when opening the ports you are using your internal ip not the public one (to get the internal go to start menu -> run -> cmd -> then type ipconfig and hit enter, this will show you the internal ip address).

If you keep having problems with port forwarding you can try to use stardock proxy servers, that way their servers handle your connection between players. Just add /serverproxyonly to the demigod shortcut in the target box (right click the shortcut, click properties). It should look something like this (this path is just an example, im not sure if its correct since mines installed in another directory): "C:\Program Files\Stardock Games\Demigod\bin\Demigod.exe" /serverproxyonly

May 30, 2009 9:57:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Anzix,
If its saying your ports are not open, then they simply may not be open. Make sure when opening the ports you are using your internal ip not the public one (to get the internal go to start menu -> run -> cmd -> then type ipconfig and hit enter, this will show you the internal ip address).

If you keep having problems with port forwarding you can try to use stardock proxy servers, that way their servers handle your connection between players. Just add /serverproxyonly to the demigod shortcut in the target box (right click the shortcut, click properties). It should look something like this (this path is just an example, im not sure if its correct since mines installed in another directory): "C:\Program Files\Stardock Games\Demigod\bin\Demigod.exe" /serverproxyonly

How do I tell which is the internal address? Well, I followed Portforward's guide very closely and I'm 100% sure I'm correct.

At the moment I heard that the proxy servers work only for players in America. Sadly, I live in Asia, so I'm going to have to wait for them to update the proxy servers so they accomodate players outside of America.

Any other suggestions before calling my ISP? I doubt that'll help as even if they are blocking my ports, there is no way they will help me unblock them, right?

May 31, 2009 6:06:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting aqualeris,

Quoting Anzix, reply 5If its saying your ports are not open, then they simply may not be open. Make sure when opening the ports you are using your internal ip not the public one (to get the internal go to start menu -> run -> cmd -> then type ipconfig and hit enter, this will show you the internal ip address).

How do I tell which is the internal address? Well, I followed Portforward's guide very closely and I'm 100% sure I'm correct.

At the moment I heard that the proxy servers work only for players in America. Sadly, I live in Asia, so I'm going to have to wait for them to update the proxy servers so they accomodate players outside of America.

Any other suggestions before calling my ISP? I doubt that'll help as even if they are blocking my ports, there is no way they will help me unblock them, right?

If you followed the steps I listed it should output something like this:

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

It will either say IPv4 or Ip Address and then the number. So for me, my internal ip is 192.168.1.100 and my router is 192.168.1.1

May 31, 2009 10:09:59 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Anzix,

Quoting aqualeris, reply 6
Quoting Anzix, reply 5If its saying your ports are not open, then they simply may not be open. Make sure when opening the ports you are using your internal ip not the public one (to get the internal go to start menu -> run -> cmd -> then type ipconfig and hit enter, this will show you the internal ip address).

If you followed the steps I listed it should output something like this:

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

It will either say IPv4 or Ip Address and then the number. So for me, my internal ip is 192.168.1.100 and my router is 192.168.1.1

I can't access the IP address stated on the IPv4 on my browser. Any help?

June 1, 2009 2:12:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm not sure if I confused you or if I'm misunderstanding... did you use the ip I mentioned in my post (Thats not the one you should be using unless thats what it says for your ip address)? or are you talking about the one I told you to get from yours? Internal IP depends on which router you are using because some use different ranges.

To find your internal ip:
start menu -> run -> cmd -> then type ipconfig and hit enter, this will show you the internal ip address.

June 2, 2009 3:37:43 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Anzix,
I'm not sure if I confused you or if I'm misunderstanding... did you use the ip I mentioned in my post (Thats not the one you should be using unless thats what it says for your ip address)? or are you talking about the one I told you to get from yours? Internal IP depends on which router you are using because some use different ranges.

To find your internal ip:
start menu -> run -> cmd -> then type ipconfig and hit enter, this will show you the internal ip address.

It doesn't say anything about internal IP address... I'll take a whole screenshot of my entire ipconfig log then.

Pardon me for my retardness. I suck at networking. Demigod has got my brain juices pumping like mad thanks to all these portforwarding stuff. I will really kill myself one day.

Thanks a lot!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.