Demigod v1.01 - Friday night tech details

What's happening

By on May 29, 2009 2:00:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1491

Hi everyone!

So as some of you know, Gas Powered Games has sent us v1.01 of Demigod.  We've been testing it for the past few days and sending back bug reports and such to make sure v1.01 is a great release.

The big things in v1.01 include:

• Reduced bandwidth requirements so people with ISDN and low end DSL have a better experience.
  • A more robust system of handling disconnects
  • Better system for detecting the difference between someone who quits and disconnects
  • Significantly better computer AI
  • Fix for the Sedna type multiple cast issue.
  • More robust system for sending game data
It's the last item that we're still working the kinks out. One of our goals for v1.01 is to use it as the launch of Epoch 2 where user stats get reset. 
Meanwhile, the team at Stardock is using that time to improve Demigod connectivity further. As some (many) of you know, when Demigod initially shipped, we relied exclusively on a third-party NAT fasciliator which had catastrophic problems when scaling to the number of users playing the released game.  
So Stardock went and developed, with the help of GPG and Raknet, a largely new system from scratch that is much better but not yet perfect since, this is the type of thing that would normally take months not weeks.  
Thanks to info from this post we are hoping to have enough time incorporate changes from what we discovered in that post that should work out the last vestiges of pain.  I am also *hoping* that the location-aware proxy system will be in place in time for v1.01.
So our current working date for v1.01 is Tuesday.
I can also say that we've been discussing what should be in v1.1 of Demigod - the first major update scheduled to be released in a few weeks.  Voter-based conceding of a game will implemented that should change the "rage quitting" issue for the better.  There's a bunch of other stuff as well but that was one of the things I thought people on the forums would like.
So that's where we're at.

Locked Post 27 Replies +1 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
the_Monk
May 29, 2009 2:07:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Woo! If the ability bug is fixed I'll be a happy man!

May 29, 2009 2:08:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ,
Voter-based conceding of a game will implemented

Huzaah!

May 29, 2009 2:11:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And a replay system.... Please.

May 29, 2009 2:13:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Is the proxy location based on what proxy server you ping to best I assume?

Also, when are the command line options going to get integrated into some kind of in-game config screen?

May 29, 2009 2:15:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great news!   Once again......SD ftw!  

May 29, 2009 2:16:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Very nice news to hear.

May 29, 2009 2:17:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'll be looking forward to tuesday then...

May 29, 2009 2:25:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My dreams of a late night release are dashed... but I figured that was how this would play out.  Looking forward to Tuesday then!  Thanks for the update!

May 29, 2009 2:34:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thank god if the ability bug is actually fixed.

Next up - replays.

May 29, 2009 2:42:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Fix for the Sedna type multiple cast issue.

Just to double-check, this doesnt JUST happen with Sedna - its a global bug too. Are you guys aware of that? (Just making sure )

Overall this is great news - and im looking forward to the new Epoch

I can also say that we've been discussing what should be in v1.1 of Demigod

I know this is up to GPG, and not up to Stardock at all, but if you could discuss with them the possibilities of including a replay system in v1.1 or an update on it that would be great. I know ive been posting this all the time in your journals Frogboy so sorry about that.

I have to say that the ladder you guys have made for Demigod is by far the best one I have ever seen. It has information on everything and even graphs to give you a visual look and idea of whats going on. Since stats are messed up atm no one has really appreciated that but once stat reporting is fixed it will be awesome.

May 29, 2009 2:47:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting regabond,
Very nice news to hear.

WTB an ingame ban list. Im sick of playing custom games and people quit after 1 death.

May 29, 2009 3:14:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great to hear it.

Agree with DalzK about the replay and stats.  Man GunslingerBara is doing awesome.  The graphs are easily the best I have ever seen.  A few tweaks here and there to connectivity and the 2 new demigods and you have a killer game on your hands.  I think you should re-release it after the first dlc for Christmas for $50 and have it re-reviewed.  With what you have now and the tweaks by then, you will have a game that scores >90% on you hands.  If valve and bethesda can do it, why can't you?

May 29, 2009 3:17:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wait, I just bought a multiplayer game that's probably not going to work well on my broadband (low end DSL) connection? Meh.

May 29, 2009 3:20:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Moleculor,
Wait, I just bought a multiplayer game that's probably not going to work well on my broadband (low end DSL) connection? Meh.

Works great unless you have very low upload, like ~126k.  Then you are limited in map type no 4v4 or 5v5.  However don't fret on Tuesday the bandwith use will be cut by 30%!!!

May 29, 2009 3:28:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Unless we're talking something different, my upload speeds are only about 6K. Download is only 80K. So yeah, it's not going to work.

May 29, 2009 3:41:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Moleculor,
Unless we're talking something different, my upload speeds are only about 6K. Download is only 80K. So yeah, it's not going to work.

WOW.  Hope you don't pay much for that.  That is worse that dailup modems.

May 29, 2009 3:53:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There's k and there's K. I don't know the conversion. Which are you talking about, because I KNOW my connection is definitely NOT worse than dialup... at least for download speeds. Upload, maybe.

It's DSL.

May 29, 2009 3:54:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Glad to hear its coming along except...

WHEN does it come out?

May 29, 2009 4:01:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Get replays to work for version 1.1, please!

May 29, 2009 4:06:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Please fix: in-game crashes, shut-downs with no error message. unhandled exceptions... dual monitor issues.

May 29, 2009 4:22:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Glad to hear its coming along except...

WHEN does it come out?

So our current working date for v1.01 is Tuesday.

RAEDING R GUD

May 29, 2009 7:28:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Generals need a HUD! BAD!

May 30, 2009 1:04:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would like to hear more about the changes in this 1.1 future patch, besides the concede option; maybe we can get some feedback on their changes, if they are willing to listen.

May 30, 2009 11:14:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ,

Thanks to info from this post we are hoping to have enough time incorporate changes from what we discovered in that post that should work out the last vestiges of pain.

What post? I'm only getting "this page cannot be found".

May 30, 2009 11:37:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Reduced bandwidth requirements so people with ISDN and low end DSL have a better experience

this made me smile

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000390   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.