The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Locked Post

Is this game EVER going to work reliably?

Hard to believe

By on May 28, 2009 2:09:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Title asks the key question. I don't know about most of you, but my multiplayer experience has deteriorated steadily since launch. I've tried all the "workarounds" and have a high-end rig with a great connect (both UL and DL), a compatible router with working port forwarding, and yet I cannot remember the last time I played a match that didn't have horrible issues. Ordinarily I would just stfu and patiently wait for the hard-working dev team to do their job, but in the midst of all this I'm reading posts from management giving their team the weekend off and kudos to their devs for extensive new AI code ... unbelievable.

So I'm wondering. Is there any reason to expect that things are going to improve eventually, or is this it? Are we there yet?

+12 Karma | 86 Replies
May 28, 2009 2:15:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Is there any reason to expect that things are going to improve eventually...?

Yes.

May 28, 2009 2:16:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm encouraged. But the reason you think this is ... ?

May 28, 2009 2:25:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As with any game, instabilities and issues will be ironed out as long as it's given time to do so and if the developers continue to actively support the product. The support is definitely there, but the game is still very young. It's reasonable to believe that given time, as long as support continues, things will work out.

May 28, 2009 2:26:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1) History indicates that Stardock will produce a quality product.

2) Abandoning a project that has the attention of so many (horrifyingly loyal) customers would be such a huge ding to both their credibility and their market position that they simply couldn't afford to do it.

I hope

May 28, 2009 2:32:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

workin fine for me

May 28, 2009 2:33:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I mailed Stardock today and i hoped they give me my Money back without intruducing my Lawyer.

May 28, 2009 2:39:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Meph777,
I mailed Stardock today and i hoped they give me my Money back without intruducing my Lawyer.

I'm sure they will treat you fairly. I hate to point it out... but a threat of legal action over a $40 video game is a tad bit unrealistic/immature.

May 28, 2009 2:40:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

have you tried using the /useproxyonly parameter?

If not stop complaining

May 28, 2009 2:41:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well I can agree to a certian point, the AI Changes announced... comon noone cares... as long as the game is lagged out in 30% of the games, crashes in 20% and doesn't even start because of connection issues in another 50%.

May 28, 2009 2:47:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Called: Legal expenses insurance  

I won´t go this way, but if i had to..

May 28, 2009 2:49:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I almost tried everything. Open the Port, used /useproyonly. Get my PC direct to the Internet without the Router. Disable Win-Firewall. Still the Same. In the last 7 Day i tried nearby 50 times to play, not one try was a success. I´ve enough of it.

May 28, 2009 2:56:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That sucks

May 28, 2009 4:06:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

May 28, 2009 10:35:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh yeah, I've tried all the suggestions including the /proxyserveronly switch, re-setting the router, checking my speednet connection. C'mon guys, you know it's not a problem on *my* end lol. And I'm happy for those few of you who can say "No problems here". That doesn't exactly help the situation that is obviously continuing for everyone else who is still having problems, a situation that is acknowledged by the continuing posts on the topic. Look, I don't usually post rants like this, I usually just stfu and wait it out like everyone else. What got me motivated to speak up was the messages from the devs stating that they were taking time off and that new AI code was coming. This signals to me that they feel their work on the problems is done. Why don't they have every single resource available working on this and testing it? Yes, it's true that they don't have to have every programmer working on the problem, but I've managed software development and I know that if I had a problem *this* bad, I would have ALL of my programmers either working on the code or testing the fixes of the programmers who were working on it. Pre-release testing was obviously not sufficient, there's a historical need here for additional testing. But no, they give the team time off and then tout the new AI features, signalling again that they think their work is done. Well I got news for them. It's not done. So I'm wondering at this point, if they think their work on the problems is done, should I just give up at this point and go play Sacred II on the XBox (great game btw) or are they still planning on getting this thing to work reliably someday for everyone. It's a great game, it'd be a shame to see it fail, and I'd prefer to think that it IS going to work again someday, but the word on the street is not good.

May 28, 2009 10:56:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

...but in the midst of all this I'm reading posts from management giving their team the weekend off and kudos to their devs for extensive new AI code ... unbelievable.

Wow, remind me to never work on your dev team.  Are comments like this really necessary?  These guys are working hard and have made lots of improvements.  Taking the weekend off is going to have little effect on anything in the big picture.

May 28, 2009 10:56:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What got me motivated to speak up was the messages from the devs stating that they were taking time off and that new AI code was coming. This signals to me that they feel their work on the problems is done. Why don't they have every single resource available working on this and testing it?

The AI is done strictly in Lua and the AI developers don't know C++ which is what is needed to work on the connectivity code.  As for some of us getting time off, we needed it.  I only took Thurs-Mon off, but I could have used another week.  Just the few days I've been back at work has already tired me again and I've been working more normal hours.  We've been ruining our health over this game, and I'm fairly sure that I'm not the only one of us who was ready to start strangling my co-workers. (I'm sure that they were ready to strangle me as well.) You can't work 14+ hour days for very long without repercussions.  We're continuing to work on the problems, but we're not going to kill ourselves for you. 

May 28, 2009 11:50:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh yeah, I've tried all the suggestions including the /proxyserveronly switch, re-setting the router, checking my speednet connection. C'mon guys, you know it's not a problem on *my* end lol.

It's not on your end? Then where is the problem coming from? Pretty much everyone is playing online fine.  Are you saying that Gas Powered Games has code in there to single you out?

What got me motivated to speak up was the messages from the devs stating that they were taking time off and that new AI code was coming. This signals to me that they feel their work on the problems is done.

This statement here signals to me that you're a horrible miserable SOB. What cave have you been in? They've been working non stop on this stuff. Oh snap, they didn't work through Memorial day for the fringe of people who have F'd up connections.

You know another problem with your post? It's full of shit.

http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/games/player/40464/

There are your stats. People can look up that you've been playing plenty of games. Hell, you have a 3 on 3 game today.

May 28, 2009 11:55:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We're continuing to work on the problems, but we're not going to kill ourselves for you.

Fail!

Seriously I think that many things which people experience as network problems are mainly related to the stupid "Surrender" feature which is not there. Most of the droppers are not actually network related. So I have hopes that 1.01 will remedy that. Also, supposedly lag problems will get better with lesser bandwith usage.

The (hopefully) only thing that remains are people which can't connect at all. Thats kinda tough but as far as I can see things are getting less problematic there lately.

May 28, 2009 11:57:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting SyDaemon,
As with any game, instabilities and issues will be ironed out as long as it's given time to do so and if the developers continue to actively support the product. The support is definitely there, but the game is still very young. It's reasonable to believe that given time, as long as support continues, things will work out.

and when do you say enough is enough. its going on 7 weeks now and i still spend 30 minutes in the lobby. did it get better from 7 weeks ago sure but you still spend 30 minutes in the lobby. So in a sence it did not get anybetter. Do I see improvements sure but is it good enough hell no not if i am spending 30 minutes or more in the lobby waiten for people to connect.

They need to dumb the connections down/ Yes it is too hard for some people to turn on ports. I sit there and look at t5he conections tab i connect fine to people yet they still have the same problem they can not connect to 2 or 3 people in the game.

GP should have listened to SD when they said to do proxy servers. Remember it was not sd that chose the way the network part of the game worked. GP got cheap and did not want to buy servers round the world. What they need to do is put the game on proxy servers till they fix the connections on how they want it work. This way we all get to play.

May 28, 2009 12:57:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

sadly this is still my main issue, spending so much time in the lobby waiting for others to connect and fill a game. then someone leaves and its like omg we have to wait longer now...

May 28, 2009 5:04:44 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I hope they do something soon. I hate seein' one lagger drop from the game and cause EVERYONE to lose their connection. P2P really sucks!! I want something server based!

May 28, 2009 5:25:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So... what exactly is the issue?

I think I am one of those demigod players that had the most variety of problems when playing(trying) demigod, ranging from ISP problem, LAN connection, router configuration, DL/UL speed, outdated modem, favor freeze, rage quitter victim, elitist team mate, and is still playing demigod and look at everyone yellow in my screen.

Maybe I can give some advice if you state the specific problem and from what country (because chances are, situation outside USA where I live would be very different). However, if you are talking about having piss yellow ping color in every game, then I can't really help you as that the problem is from someone else.

May 28, 2009 11:52:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting stryker247,

Quoting SyDaemon, reply 3As with any game, instabilities and issues will be ironed out as long as it's given time to do so and if the developers continue to actively support the product. The support is definitely there, but the game is still very young. It's reasonable to believe that given time, as long as support continues, things will work out.

and when do you say enough is enough. its going on 7 weeks now and i still spend 30 minutes in the lobby. did it get better from 7 weeks ago sure but you still spend 30 minutes in the lobby. So in a sence it did not get anybetter. Do I see improvements sure but is it good enough hell no not if i am spending 30 minutes or more in the lobby waiten for people to connect.

They need to dumb the connections down/ Yes it is too hard for some people to turn on ports. I sit there and look at t5he conections tab i connect fine to people yet they still have the same problem they can not connect to 2 or 3 people in the game.

GP should have listened to SD when they said to do proxy servers. Remember it was not sd that chose the way the network part of the game worked. GP got cheap and did not want to buy servers round the world. What they need to do is put the game on proxy servers till they fix the connections on how they want it work. This way we all get to play.

That depends on how much slack you're willing to cut for GPG and Stardock. Personally, I'm willing to give it months. Demigod isn't my only source of entertainment. Without knowing all the subtle implications of the design decision taken by the devs, I won't pretend to understand the pros and cons they had to weigh.

They've made their choice, problems surfaced and now they're already paying the price by the hard work they're putting in. It's not fun at all working on a game for its full development cycle, and then be brought back to do 100+ hour weeks fixing issues. No one wanted all these problems, less so the devs. There's no miracle cure or magic bullet here. They need time to properly fix this and I'm willing to give them that because I simply think the final result would be worth the wait.

May 29, 2009 12:03:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm surprised...
I expected a much worse flame.  The whole forum is full of fanboys, most of the people who actually function in reality and realize the degree of this games failures have either
1. Returned the game
2. Stopped playing
3. dont give a shit about forums

Seems you've actually drawn quite a few of the more unbiased crowed out

Congrats for that I'm given you sum karma

May 29, 2009 12:40:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The game has been considerably better however last night was absolutely pox. It was literally like 3 weeks ago with some pretty severe connection issues going on.

We even had this thing happen where we were waiting in a lobby 5/6 australian 3v3 and it suddenly 'blended' us with some random 5v5 game so that half the people in the lobby were different and everyone is typing, WTF?! Then after a few moments we were back together albeit losing one guy.

Beyond that still very difficult to get games together last night, lots of complaints in chat all round.

Would like to know what the hell was going on. After an hour of trying to get a game i bailed to watch TV - something that works more reliably.

Did manage to get one 2v2 happening but everyone disconnected from each other and we ended up solo vs ai. woot.

*edit - cant even get into the 'Demigod' forums today, what the hell is up with that?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000265   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.