The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[REL] Skills not working fix

By on May 24, 2009 12:20:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

WARNING: This will not work online through Impulse. You can use GameRanger or Hamachi to make use of this.

Also, since this mods gameplay, all players in the game must have this mod installed.

Created for version: 1.00.0114

Features:

Are you sick of trying to Pounce on a fleeing enemy only to have your Sedna sit there doing nothing?  Sick of being cursed by your team-mates for not healing even though you tried?  Ever want to break your keyboard when Erebus fails to use his bite?  This mod fixes these problems.  Skills should always fire correctly when using this mod.  Enjoy

Download link: Savefile

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

1) You must have Sorian's Mod Manager setup in order to use this mod. More info on this here: http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?showtopic=408370

2) Once you have the Mod Manager setup, extract the folder "SkillsNotWorkingFix" (including the folder itself) into your 'mods' folder in your dgdata.zip folder.
eg. C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock Games\Demigod\dgdata.zip\mods\SkillsNotWorkingFix

3) Startup Demigod.

4) Enable the mod in the Mod Manager.

5) Play singleplayer or a lan game, as mods do not work through Impulse as of yet.

+79 Karma | 88 Replies
May 27, 2009 4:46:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For the record, bman654 is THE MAN. We were down to deconstructing the wrong code trees for this problem, animation was not an intuitive place to look for this. A testament to bman's intuition for sure. This is such a great example of how easily things can be pinpointed once we can reproduce the problem, it isn't even funny.

Hindsight is 20/20, but for those who aren't coders, there are about 14,000 files in our code, and another 8,500 in data and scripts. If something doesn't generate an error or warning (it doesn't), and you can't get it to reliably happen (we couldn't), then you are throwing darts at what you think is the bullseye on a dart board that is very large.

As far as how long before you can play with this fix in the next patch, that is mostly up to Stardock's testing. We are reworking several associated animation scripts right now, and will likely hand this off to Stardock tonight. If it takes a while, it probably won't be because of testing this fix, but several of the matchmaking fixes that have gone in over the last week, and require much more rigorous tests. We will obviously put in a good word for "fast tracking".

- Servo

Great stuff Servo! Thanks for the update, means alot to us (the community) to know that you have seen this, and yes, BMAN is DEFINITELY THE MAN!!! Even if its too late to implement this in 1.01 by now, at least we know this annoying bug as finally spotted and targeted for liquidation, which means ALOT!!

I for one got renewed hope again

May 27, 2009 5:03:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting goldmull,
hey, bman! if you seem to be able to do so... after this bug being fixed... it reminds me of that annoying pathfinding bug which will show this way: i see an enemy demigod standing somewhere and rightclick him for my demigod to attack him. my demigod starts moving towards him, but, oh shit, the other demigod does too. ffs my dg must be running into battle blindly cause he first will run to the location where the enemy dg stood before moving and then realizes there's nobody there and actually changes the direction towards where the enemy dg is now going. it's so fucking annoying! plz fix that and send it to gpg -.-

The problem i expenrienced is similar and i think you are refferring to this one:

Once your dg start moving after an attack right click is issued, if the target dg move your dg will performe mostly 2 step move  instead of going directly diagonally it will go haed and then left.

ex:

your dg will do:

----->

|

|

instead of directly:

/

/

this is a problem because it take longer obviously

If you click again the attack move after the target dg start moving the problem is solved and your dg will go diagonally directly

May 27, 2009 5:10:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

BMAN FOR PRESIDENT!!!

May 27, 2009 7:26:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

BMan should get paid IMO.

May 27, 2009 9:56:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

kurjak thx for the explanation.  I'll take a quick look tonight.

May 27, 2009 1:54:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yes kurjak is right, that's what i was trying to say...

btw bman, you rule

May 27, 2009 3:36:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

fyi I took a quick look at this.  The code that handles clicking on the main screen appears to be in the .exe and not in lua.  At least I couldn't find anything that issued the attack orders when you click on an enemy.

I guess I've never noticed this issue b/c I almost always launch an attack via a skill (and *that* code correctly tracks your target's moving position) or am very close to my target.

May 27, 2009 4:12:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

it certainly is not the most common issue, but watch for it when playing, maybe you will stumble over it.

May 27, 2009 4:26:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The clicking on a screen code should be in /lua/ui/game. That controls the in-game UI. I don't think any of the UI (except the rendering and click detection) are done in the exe.

You should look at the Community Bugfix Patch for SupCom. GPG based an entire patch off our work, although it was never released.

May 27, 2009 4:38:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ah yes. I remember bman from the TitanQuest forum.

Legendary.

May 27, 2009 4:53:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yeah I looked in ui/game but it looks like certain things are implemented as native functions for efficiency.  Most of the navigation code is done in the engine.  But the only lua script that even calls the nav function to follow a target is when you are trying to use a skill from outside range.

The actual right-clicking code happens in worldview.  But it just has a RightClickCallback and there is no lua script that registers for this callback.  I can only assume the game engine itself registers for this callback.  I couldn't find any code to handle left-clicking or drawing boxes around units either.  It all seems to be in the engine and there are just some exposed methods to find out what was clicked.  It could be I wasn't searching for the right thing though.

May 27, 2009 9:23:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well...i'm not putting any pressure on you

June 28, 2009 4:09:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting kurjak82,

Quoting goldmull,
reply 23
hey, bman! if you seem to be able to do so... after this bug being fixed... it reminds me of that annoying pathfinding bug which will show this way: i see an enemy demigod standing somewhere and rightclick him for my demigod to attack him. my demigod starts moving towards him, but, oh shit, the other demigod does too. ffs my dg must be running into battle blindly cause he first will run to the location where the enemy dg stood before moving and then realizes there's nobody there and actually changes the direction towards where the enemy dg is now going. it's so fucking annoying! plz fix that and send it to gpg -.-

The problem i expenrienced is similar and i think you are refferring to this one:

Once your dg start moving after an attack right click is issued, if the target dg move your dg will performe mostly 2 step move  instead of going directly diagonally it will go haed and then left.

ex:

your dg will do:

----->

|

|

instead of directly:

/

/

this is a problem because it take longer obviously

If you click again the attack move after the target dg start moving the problem is solved and your dg will go diagonally directly

nope, that's shitty tracking code. Maybe bman can redo this snippet also. I've seen it happy too often where you follow the enemy dg exactly as he moves, which if he makes 4 right turns, you're basically still behind him following.. LOL too late for refund now! Godspeed to you bman!I feel like you're the only hope for this game's community.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.