The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[REL] Skills not working fix

By on May 24, 2009 12:20:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

WARNING: This will not work online through Impulse. You can use GameRanger or Hamachi to make use of this.

Also, since this mods gameplay, all players in the game must have this mod installed.

Created for version: 1.00.0114

Features:

Are you sick of trying to Pounce on a fleeing enemy only to have your Sedna sit there doing nothing?  Sick of being cursed by your team-mates for not healing even though you tried?  Ever want to break your keyboard when Erebus fails to use his bite?  This mod fixes these problems.  Skills should always fire correctly when using this mod.  Enjoy

Download link: Savefile

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

1) You must have Sorian's Mod Manager setup in order to use this mod. More info on this here: http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?showtopic=408370

2) Once you have the Mod Manager setup, extract the folder "SkillsNotWorkingFix" (including the folder itself) into your 'mods' folder in your dgdata.zip folder.
eg. C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock Games\Demigod\dgdata.zip\mods\SkillsNotWorkingFix

3) Startup Demigod.

4) Enable the mod in the Mod Manager.

5) Play singleplayer or a lan game, as mods do not work through Impulse as of yet.

+79 Karma | 88 Replies
May 26, 2009 3:57:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

thanks to bman's discovery, we can only hope that this annoying bug will be fixed for impulse play.  i can start playing QoT and sedna more frequently again.

May 26, 2009 4:01:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If this bug isnt fixed in 1.01 of dg, im gonna pull out my hair!

May 26, 2009 4:23:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd just like to point out that while I greatly appreciate the fix from Bman, plenty of the people complaining about stardock's incompetancy have little knowledge of coding, and the others are unlikely to have worked on a large project where everything had to be fixed. Those who satisfy both these categories must fail to appreciate the likelihood of finding a bug in your own code (as opposed to someone else finding it), as well as the sheer amount of players who look through games' code. Put this together with a multitude of things being fixed, and it seems obvious that the solution hasn't been found quickly.

We can all agree Bman's awesome. I just don't get why some of you think GPG fails.

May 26, 2009 4:43:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pseudomelon,
We can all agree Bman's awesome. I just don't get why some of you think GPG fails.

Easy, everybody has an opinion, nobody knows what he's talking about. Welcome to the internet.

IIRC Microsoft even has a seperate 'secondary' team veriewing all the vital code to filter out any bugs or mistakes that the main devvers could miss, simply for the reasons stated in earlier post. Fresh eyes are essential in projects of this size.

To all the whiners out here, if you have balls do this 'little' test. Everybody knows you make spelling mistakes, grammar errors, etc. Usually you see them (in your forum posts for instance) and correct them. Now let's take it to game designing magnitute. Write a story of 10,000 pages, with spellcheck off (game designers don't have that either, except for syntax and compile checks). Review it for errors and correct. Do that again and correct. Again. And again. Even after 4 times I can [b]assure you[b] that someone else that reads it will find several if not dozens of errors.

May 26, 2009 6:26:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Can we please get a admin or such to reply to this thread so we know it has been seen by someone important?

May 26, 2009 6:44:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting muusbolla,

Yet a *player* was able to DECOMPILE the game files to figure out the problem and fix it before the company itself. And the company has ACCESS TO THE SOURCE CODE. Very sad. And if they have been working 90 hour weeks at GPG like they have been at SD, then that is even sadder.

GPG just got completely schooled by one of their own customers. What noobs.

Since when has lua something to do with decompiling? This part of the source is available for everyone with a unzipper.

The mod actually only changed 1 function. It is very good he found the bug. And as a player he just looked very carefully when the problem happened. And in this case he had the benefit of a reproducable error. Something that is very difficult to find in an development environment. They were looking at the wrong places. And often fresh eyes see more clearly that has nothing too do with noobs.

May 26, 2009 7:03:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

First of all, this has nothing to do with Stardock. As a Publisher they arent even meant to be helping out with the games actual coding, only its netcode and such. So dont blame Stardock.

Secondly, finding bugs can be bloody hell when they have so much to look through. Its by all means not GPG's fault and they stated they were trying to fix it before.

However I have to say, this was reported in the early beta stages a hundred times, and they completely ignored us on the bug which is why its still in the retail.

May 26, 2009 7:41:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DalzK,
Secondly, finding bugs can be bloody hell when they have so much to look through. Its by all means not GPG's fault and they stated they were trying to fix it before.

However I have to say, this was reported in the early beta stages a hundred times, and they completely ignored us on the bug which is why its still in the retail.

Then whose fault is it? GPG wrote the entire damn game, it's definitely their fault. Then released it to the public with the bug still present. Still their fault. Then they failed to fix it within such a long period of time that one of their customers had to show them how to fix it. Still stinks of incompetence.

Additionally this bug falls into the category of "never should have been written that way in the first place". Telling the player's character to turn toward the statically checked (original) location of the enemy instead of the dynamic (moving) location of the enemy is just plain stupid. Did they really think that people wouldn't be moving around in combat?

May 26, 2009 8:27:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

muusbolla, bugs are normal in game and this is not a totally game breaking bug even. Do you want me to list a few of the bugs still existing in Starcraft after 11 years of patches (and that is excluding dozens of things which are considered features nowadays but are technically bugs):

- Units getting stuck and not doing anything before you pressed hold position many times, this happens almost every game especially with Dragoons but every ground unit can be affected.

- Sunken Colonies being able to hit targets out of range if you quickly change target in some circumstances

- Flying drones and templars (they are ground units and not supposed to fly, but you can make them fly with some tricks)

- «Gas walk» to get through blocked entrances or ramps (Incredibly common bug, using a shift click on has near opponent’s blocked entrance to slide through any possible unit or building wall.)

- Crashing the game when doing some strange things with Lurkers or SCVs (can only be done intentionally), its similar to the Hatchery Crash bug which was fixed 8 years after starcraft got released , see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suBDyBl03Jg 

There are a lot more bugs than that but most are considering "tricks" or "gameplay mechanics" nowadays. So saying GPG is fail just because of a few bugs so close after release is so incredibly arrogant that it is unbelievable.

PS: I am aware the Demigod has a lot other gameplay bugs but 99% of the guys here at forum probably haven't noticed most of them yet as they are very subtle and take a good understanding of the game to discover.

May 26, 2009 11:22:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting NeoVain,
If this bug isnt fixed in 1.01 of dg, im gonna pull out my hair!

Well, I'm still waiting on anyone to even *read* my pm's so I'm not hopeful...

May 26, 2009 11:54:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Bumping in hopes of a GPG/SD reply

May 26, 2009 12:43:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy has stated in IRC that he saw this and forwarded to GPG. Probably as much response as you'll see until they release an official fix.

May 26, 2009 12:55:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Tested this out in single player 1 game as sedna and one as UB, not one failed spell. Tried with a couple friends to test it in a 3v3 on game range but only 2 of us could connect, the others go errors regarding engine version ?

Hoping this gets pushed out fast as a update!

May 26, 2009 1:33:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just to clarify here a bit: no they didn't state before they were trying to fix it,  the comment made in bman's reply was made three days ago, and try as I might, I can't find anything before that stating that, "hey guys, don't worry we hear you". That's all I'm really upset about. In the reply bman is referencing, they also try to blame the bug on the gamers. The "did you update your video drivers" assuming everyone is an idiot kind of technical support just isn't going to make me happy here. I'm not saying (and didn't say) GPG fails for not fixing or finding the bug, but I am just upset that with all the extra work going into after-the-fact polishing it seems as though the face of the support for this game (I'm refusing to say GPG, because that's not who we get to deal with) is trivializing anything that's not on their priority list right now.

Secondly, to those of you generalizing my comments out of context and then saying that I must not know anything about programming, you probably know less than you imagine I know about it. I have worked on several project that were hundreds of thousands of lines long, programming, debugged, and implementing fixes. My longest standing project I have personally written hundreds of thousands of lines of my own and I can tell you, when it's your code it is a lot easier to debug. But the important issue here is that if any of my players ever came to me with a problem, I didn't blame them and say, "stop overclicking noob". No I tracked down my mistake and fixed it. Now I can tell you that from what bman posted, yes this one of those kind of errors that once you see, you realize that wasn't a very good method to accomplish sight checking.

May 26, 2009 1:37:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Additionally this bug falls into the category of "never should have been written that way in the first place". Telling the player's character to turn toward the statically checked (original) location of the enemy instead of the dynamic (moving) location of the enemy is just plain stupid. Did they really think that people wouldn't be moving around in combat?

qft

May 26, 2009 5:05:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

fyi I did hear back and GPG will include a slightly different implementation of the fix in an upcoming patch so yay!    I don't know if it will be in the next one coming out though...since that one is already at SD's QA.  We'll see I guess.

I guess they all took the long weekend off.

May 26, 2009 5:54:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting bman654,

Which is also a great way to 'refresh your mind' and spot a bug after all, as every devver knows. I'm glad they finally reponded to you, although for some people they can never do it right. No reaction means they aren't communicating enough and should answer here, and answering here means they are on the fora too much and should spend more time debugging

May 26, 2009 5:54:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting bman654,
fyi I did hear back and GPG will include a slightly different implementation of the fix in an upcoming patch so yay!    I don't know if it will be in the next one coming out though...since that one is already at SD's QA.  We'll see I guess.

For the record, bman654 is THE MAN. We were down to deconstructing the wrong code trees for this problem, animation was not an intuitive place to look for this. A testament to bman's intuition for sure. This is such a great example of how easily things can be pinpointed once we can reproduce the problem, it isn't even funny.

Hindsight is 20/20, but for those who aren't coders, there are about 14,000 files in our code, and another 8,500 in data and scripts. If something doesn't generate an error or warning (it doesn't), and you can't get it to reliably happen (we couldn't), then you are throwing darts at what you think is the bullseye on a dart board that is very large.

As far as how long before you can play with this fix in the next patch, that is mostly up to Stardock's testing. We are reworking several associated animation scripts right now, and will likely hand this off to Stardock tonight. If it takes a while, it probably won't be because of testing this fix, but several of the matchmaking fixes that have gone in over the last week, and require much more rigorous tests. We will obviously put in a good word for "fast tracking".

- Servo

May 26, 2009 6:12:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounds awesone, and thank you very much for the update Servo - its much appreciated indeed.

Could you guys add bman654 into the credits too - I really think he earned it.

May 26, 2009 6:35:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great. Can't wait for 1.01, i hope it will be released this week.

May 26, 2009 7:37:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That's a pretty official response now, I think people should be pretty happy with that.  I certainly am

May 26, 2009 8:20:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I certainly am too. Issue addressed, so I won't say another thing about it.

May 26, 2009 9:03:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

hey, bman! if you seem to be able to do so... after this bug being fixed... it reminds me of that annoying pathfinding bug which will show this way: i see an enemy demigod standing somewhere and rightclick him for my demigod to attack him. my demigod starts moving towards him, but, oh shit, the other demigod does too. ffs my dg must be running into battle blindly cause he first will run to the location where the enemy dg stood before moving and then realizes there's nobody there and actually changes the direction towards where the enemy dg is now going. it's so fucking annoying! plz fix that and send it to gpg -.-

May 26, 2009 10:39:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i've never seen that.  does it happen when very far away or only when near?  Or just all the time?

May 26, 2009 11:58:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yea I've never seen anythign like that Goldmull. And Bman Phenomenal job You really do deserve your name in the credits haha you've definetly earned it

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.