The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[REL] Skills not working fix

By on May 24, 2009 12:20:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

WARNING: This will not work online through Impulse. You can use GameRanger or Hamachi to make use of this.

Also, since this mods gameplay, all players in the game must have this mod installed.

Created for version: 1.00.0114

Features:

Are you sick of trying to Pounce on a fleeing enemy only to have your Sedna sit there doing nothing?  Sick of being cursed by your team-mates for not healing even though you tried?  Ever want to break your keyboard when Erebus fails to use his bite?  This mod fixes these problems.  Skills should always fire correctly when using this mod.  Enjoy

Download link: Savefile

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

1) You must have Sorian's Mod Manager setup in order to use this mod. More info on this here: http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?showtopic=408370

2) Once you have the Mod Manager setup, extract the folder "SkillsNotWorkingFix" (including the folder itself) into your 'mods' folder in your dgdata.zip folder.
eg. C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock Games\Demigod\dgdata.zip\mods\SkillsNotWorkingFix

3) Startup Demigod.

4) Enable the mod in the Mod Manager.

5) Play singleplayer or a lan game, as mods do not work through Impulse as of yet.

+79 Karma | 88 Replies
May 24, 2009 10:55:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Enable mods then! Give the tools needed by the mod community. That's all.

May 24, 2009 11:15:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you spend any amount of time coding you'll realise that more often than not your big problems are caused by the tiniest of things (Oh, i missed a semi colon)

May 24, 2009 11:24:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Most of the reports on the forums (mine included) dealt with chain skills or the interaction between moving and hitting skills.  I bet GPG had trouble tracking this down because they were looking into the parts of the code that would have been responsible for that kind of a bug.  Getting sent down the wrong path can be a real time-killer when you're trying to debug something.

On another note, this explains why sometimes there was a pause between issuing an order and seeing it get carried out ... my target was running around and my Demigod was waiting to turn towards them.

May 24, 2009 11:30:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yes your typical bat swarm + bite was probably against a moving target and so the bite would probably get caught by the bug alot.

Also the most common complaint was that it would happen just when you were about to kill the target...ie the target had decided to run away which usually involves some direction changes.

May 24, 2009 11:36:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can't tell you how frustrating it is to work on a bug for an extended period of time, to have someone look over your shoulder and point out where the problem is. Having a fresh pair of eyes is invaluable.

May 24, 2009 11:38:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

wow it actually works.

NICE!

May 24, 2009 2:23:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OMFG. Froggy, over here please!

May 24, 2009 3:22:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ahh yes, this is the Bman from Titan Quest fame if I'm right.  This guy is a modder extrodinaire.  Nice work man, hope the devs implement the fix in their own patch soon.

Koz

May 24, 2009 3:36:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

...I love you.

May 24, 2009 3:46:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I know you bman since ufo:ET

+1 karma for my appreciation on your work even on Demigod. I expect this simple fix to be incorporated in the next DG release within one week...(possibly with a mod manager and working replays that should have *never* been left out in the first place).

May 24, 2009 5:15:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

anyone confirmed this actually works?

May 24, 2009 9:13:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting VyperXXX,
anyone confirmed this actually works?
Quoting Kasparoth,
wow it actually works.

NICE!

May 24, 2009 9:34:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Kitkun,

Quoting VyperXXX, reply 11anyone confirmed this actually works?Quoting Kasparoth, reply 6wow it actually works.

NICE!

well thats one person... anyone else?

May 24, 2009 9:58:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good job Bman, hopefully the devs will take a look at this and implement a formal patch ASAP. Cheers!

May 24, 2009 10:29:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

nice work!

May 24, 2009 10:58:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting VyperXXX,

Feel free to volunteer as the second person!

May 24, 2009 11:01:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting bman654,

Quoting VyperXXX, reply 13

Feel free to volunteer as the second person!

well, if it weren't lan only I would!

May 25, 2009 12:30:58 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

sweet the only other thing that really fustrates me is placing towers or flag close to edge of walkway or if you have a lot of other DGs/creeps around it can take several trys just to get a placement.

May 25, 2009 1:03:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Teseer,
...I love you.

May 25, 2009 3:51:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Tiny4Ever, reply 5some random guy fixed it before the game company...lol

Yes Tiny, for the 100th time, we get it. There is no escaping your endless onslaught of DG bashing on IRC and forums. Funny you are still around with all the negativity towards DG and its devs/mods. You probably have no understanding of how programming works either. Which means you have no idea how hard it can be to find problems like that. Which means you are...........

Well, I do understand how programming works, and have to say I have the same level of disgust with GPG over this bug. When posting in the Demigod technical support forums about this bug we are either ignored or told to tell GPG about it. Well I'm sorry if the tech support forums are the wrong place to try to get in touch with the people responsible for fixing this game. Neither GPG or SD (yes, I know, not their problem, but they are the only ones dealing with the community) has said they are fixing the problem, acknowledged the problem, or even admit that they do or don't know about it.

So with the amount of feedback we're getting from the people who matter on this issue, you can't blame the people who are very frustrated with this bug for feeling the way they do about a member of the community fixing the real biggest problem in this game. As far as I care people with connection issues can get weeded out, but the game should frickin play right.

May 25, 2009 8:05:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting G4N35H,

Well, I do understand how programming works, and have to say I have the same level of disgust with GPG over this bug. When posting in the Demigod technical support forums about this bug we are either ignored or told to tell GPG about it. Well I'm sorry if the tech support forums are the wrong place to try to get in touch with the people responsible for fixing this game. Neither GPG or SD (yes, I know, not their problem, but they are the only ones dealing with the community) has said they are fixing the problem, acknowledged the problem, or even admit that they do or don't know about it.

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/353102/page/2/#replies reply #27.  GPG acknowledges they are working on it but having trouble even reproducing it...something about button mashing.  It was this post that prompted me to go find the problem since I knew it was somehow related to turning and moving targets.

May 25, 2009 8:13:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

bman > all

Simply awesome.

Now GPG/Stardock just put this in a form of a patch

May 26, 2009 12:52:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting kstampy,

Quoting Tiny4Ever, reply 5: some random guy fixed it before the game company...lol

Yes Tiny, for the 100th time, we get it. There is no escaping your endless onslaught of DG bashing on IRC and forums. Funny you are still around with all the negativity towards DG and its devs/mods. You probably have no understanding of how programming works either. Which means you have no idea how hard it can be to find problems like that. Which means you are...........

Yet a *player* was able to DECOMPILE the game files to figure out the problem and fix it before the company itself. And the company has ACCESS TO THE SOURCE CODE. Very sad. And if they have been working 90 hour weeks at GPG like they have been at SD, then that is even sadder.

GPG just got completely schooled by one of their own customers. What noobs.

May 26, 2009 2:31:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yet a *player* was able to DECOMPILE the game files to figure out the problem and fix it before the company itself. And the company has ACCESS TO THE SOURCE CODE. Very sad. And if they have been working 90 hour weeks at GPG like they have been at SD, then that is even sadder.

GPG just got completely schooled by one of their own customers. What noobs.
There's thousands of players. Plus, if I recall, a big chunck of GPG has had to switch over to SupCom 2 in order to get that done by it's deadline.

May 26, 2009 2:43:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And when you write thousands of lines of code, you may know what it's all supposed to do but they all sorta just merge into each other and you tend to not see the errors. So fresh programming eyes are almost always better at finding programming bugs than the same eyes that wrote the code. It's just how it is, not the companies fault.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001094   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.