The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Yes finally!

By on May 22, 2009 2:58:04 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

The dev team says that only people who have serious connection issues should use this (and we’ll have a smarter parameter shortly) but we now have:

/serverproxyonly which will force Demigod to have our servers host your connection. You put this as a parameter for your Demigod shortcut.

We spent the evening playing with people online who have previously been unable to play with fantastic results.

Everyone up there who has the word “(proxied)” in the above screenshot are likely people who would not have been able to connect previously.

Mr. Glass Half Empty

But not all is perfect in Demigod land. 

First, this update is only for connecting people together. Developer Gas Powered Games is cooking up v1.01 that has a lot of in-game networking changes. No official ETA on that yet.

Second, there’s still some logic changes needed IMO for Pantheon games because it’s still hit or miss. We got a lot of good data tonight but I’d say Pantheon (and skirmish too) are still pretty crummy in terms of reliably getting a 6 or 8 person game going with qualified people. I’m tempted to just have all pantheon/skirmish games hosted by us but that’s a bit of a last resort.

Possibly tomorrow, we may put up a Memorial weekend update with some new parameters. And yes, we do plan to have these parameters make their way into the game itself once we finalize them and set things up with Gas Powered Games (we did some voodoo to let us get those command line parameters in the first place without having to change the game EXE).

Hope you guys like what you see.  We are seeing some strange things from Version DSL and Cox Cable ISPs in terms of how they do their connections so we’re looking at that. 

Goodnight/good morning. Cheers!

+912 Karma | 76 Replies
May 22, 2009 3:25:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I seem to be having trouble getting into the lobby when connected to the host or even all the game members. This is pretty uncommon(I joined about 8 or 10 games and only had this happen twice) but enough to make me question why ~10 seconds after I've connected to everyone(which was only the host in one case) I'm still not in the lobby. I saved both logs after it happened the second time.

May 22, 2009 4:04:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey Shodan78,

I had a problem in the past with another online game that did the same thing.  As soon as I tried to connect my router would go kaput.  I had to update my firmware on my router to fix that problem.  Maybe you can see if your router needs a firmware update?

I think the problem was that the router shut down when it saw a bunch of connections coming and going at once.  It's a protective measure, but nowadays there are a lot of peer to peer connections (Ventrilo was a classic one for killing my router) and so they updated the firmware to behave differently.

I hope that helps!

May 22, 2009 4:13:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have that same ISP and same router.  Make sure your router's firmware is updated because Netgear had some major problems with that router that have been completely fixed for me.  Hit their support page.

May 22, 2009 5:02:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

More Pantheon experience!

A 3v3 where one guy lagged too much (1k plus) so he quit therefore easy win. BUT there was a guy from Russia and one guy from California (I'm from UK) and that ran pretty much ok.

Three 3v3s where it said everyone was connected but I was the only one in game.

A full 3v3 where my team got our asses handed to us on a plate (3 Oaks is a rubbish combo!).

And a coouple of CTDs.

So from a 0/10 Pantheon experience to maybe... 4/10 experience.

Definitely an improvement.

May 22, 2009 5:09:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As of Today Friday 5/22:

4/10 is about right for pantheon.   still fails most of the time and if it does work, you end up disconnected players so it's you vs AIs.

8/10 for custom games.

May 22, 2009 5:28:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy: To add to Phazure's weirdness, we're behind the SAME router and connection, not playing simultaneously, and he still has issues and I don't. I do have that issue sometimes, but never so often. The system of connection queueing is what I think is causing the problem. A buggered connection to one player, means everyone else is waiting. We need to attempt the first connection to every player simultaneously. Since the patch, I have witnessed his problem in many other people. Not normally to all at once, but often to one or two. One player is "connected" to the other, but the other is not connected to him. I can't seem to isolate a cause.

May 22, 2009 8:23:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Connections are much worse now... used to work fine, but now everyone connects and the game doesn't load....

Fully Patched May 22... Trying to play Pantheon.

May 22, 2009 8:42:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Phazure please follow this guide i am going to make you. You are not using the proxys when you obviously need to be ...

Follow these pics step by step!

1)

Open impulse and right click Demigod and click "Open application folder"

2)

Go to the "bin" folder.

3)

Right click on Demigod and make a shortcut to your desktop.

4)

On the desktop right click the icon and go to Properties.

5)

In the Demigod "target" box you will see...

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock Games\Demigod\bin\Demigod.exe" (OR SOMETHING VERY SIMILAR)

Change it to this ...

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock Games\Demigod\bin\Demigod.exe" /serverproxyonly

(Just basically after the end " just put a space and put /serverproxyonly).

Hit apply and ok and then run demigod from your desktop from now on to open it.

Note: You MUST LAUNCH DEMIGOD EVERYTIME FROM THIS ICON. NOT FROM IMPULSE OR IT WONT PROXY YOU. WHEN DEMIGOD NEEDS A UPDATE IT WILL TELL YOU IN-GAME TO OPEN IMPULSE AND UPDATE WHEN YOU CLICK THE "INTERNET" BUTTON IF REQUIRED. ONLY USE IMPULSE TO UPDATE THE GAME. ICON TO LAUNCH IT.

Ok im done. Enjoy .

May 22, 2009 9:52:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That a nice help.

I can only start the game from the "Games" folder in Vista64Ulti.

Starting Demogod executables from the bin folder directly > "The Application stopped working".

Is there any way to add the command for me, from the Vista "Games" folder ?

Can I add stuff here, editing the shortcut in "Games" ?

The folder points to the patch with the Games Icon.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock Games\Demigod\bin\Demigod.exe"

Will give it a try...

---------------------

Ive used the "customize" funtion in the Vista Games folder, but it doesnt put me on proxy connections.

Is there any way I can get this command working via the "Games" folder ?

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock Games\Demigod\bin\Demigod.exe" /serverproxyonly

Probably I will stick with a refund on the game, Ive put around 10 hours testing effort in the last weeks in to the game, trying to get multiplayer working for me.

The game was great on May13th/14th, I played lots of MP on those days with people around the world. Those 2 days where fun with the game. Shame some patch broke it for me.

May 23, 2009 1:32:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I get the same thing, anytime I try to play skirmish or pantheon I usually wait at least 10 min to get the game setup.  I have no problems at all in game but actually getting to a game can be horribly slow.  I once had to wait over 45min just to get a 3 v 3 game going, but this is only when the system tries to match us up.  Joining a game that is created by a player is fine.

May 23, 2009 1:51:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting JacobBLarson,
I get the same thing, anytime I try to play skirmish or pantheon I usually wait at least 10 min to get the game setup.  I have no problems at all in game but actually getting to a game can be horribly slow.  I once had to wait over 45min just to get a 3 v 3 game going, but this is only when the system tries to match us up.  Joining a game that is created by a player is fine.

Yeah skirmish and pantheon are broken right now. Stardock has to release a fix .. can't do much about it. My guide thing is for you to be able to play some at least (by custom games).

May 23, 2009 2:50:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the guide Makerz but I was already doing that frrom yesterday, once the patch came out:

May 23, 2009 3:00:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just tried to play custom games and yet again, I cannot play. Another update, another day of no improvement.

May 23, 2009 3:11:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Never played Pantheon, so i won't report about it.

However, i can confirm the following regarding custom games :

to me it's 10/10 since last patches (especially the time it takes to connect), and I would recommend people having issues with NIL (not connected to many users) to activate port forwarding, or at least, ensure that (like me) their are not forwarding to the wrong IP address I had lots of NIL and slowdown because of this (had changed network card, and IP was reserved based on Mac address ).

Last but not least Thanks a lot FrogBoy for this never seen commitment in bringing support to a Game.

May 23, 2009 3:23:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Of course I've been doing that, I've been doing that since the game came out. Still can't play.

May 23, 2009 3:33:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hm. soon after release I gave up playing in hopes that that the connection would be more reliable after some love from the people here.

Looks like it's about time for me to start playing again...I hope.

May 23, 2009 4:43:14 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Actually, with proxy it is WORSE than my takes on NAT. At least, NAT left me with other players and I could judge whether I got connected or not. Now, it is "Waiting for game data" and then I am all alone not connected to anybody...

May 23, 2009 5:19:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Played a few more Pantheon matches.

It still gives you weird teams (like 2v1 humans.. no AI) but it's a lot quicker.

So it's certainly an improvement over very slow, almost impossible to get balanced teams.

Now it's quicker to get games so u might get balanced teams more quickly.

May 23, 2009 8:38:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

With proxies I can connect with my router enabled, but the ping is automaticly around 350 ms. This makes the game nearly unplayable because of the lags.

So far the only thing that helped is connecting my game pc directly to the modem without the router.

I hope you can make the proxies faster, otherwise they are of no use it seems as they are to slow.

May 23, 2009 9:09:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

350 ms is certainly not unplayable.

I had a game with a Californian and a Russian (I'm in UK) and it was between 400 and 500 ping.

It was VERY playable.

I'm guessing your ping is unstable.

May 23, 2009 10:47:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well it's a lot better. Managed to have my first Pantheon game and the game showing who is waiting to get in a game is very good.

However the second pantheon game we ended up with a 2v1 scenario - hopeless! Anyway he quit (I don't blame him) and we wasted 20 minutes wiping up.

Did a couple of custom games. First occasion 1 player witha  3second ping caused us all to lag out and disconnect. Second time we literally had a split second stutter and all were again ejected.

The lobby is sorted but still some way to go with these other issues.

Tals

May 23, 2009 5:52:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just moved the other day, and now others can't seem to connect to me.  I tried opening the ports on the router (it was similar to my last router), but that didn't work.  The ISP is still CenturyTel, but the actual dsl box might be different.

In any case, I tried this fix, and people still can't connect to me

May 24, 2009 4:39:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Im from Brazil and i bought Demgod on pre-order. I have played lots of other RTS games over the internet wihtout any problems with people from all over the world but unfortunatly I am yet to be able to get into multiplayer in Demigod. I tried changing my IP to a fix one, I tried port forwarding and nothing seemed to work. As off this las patch, im using the /serverproxyonly the only thing that changed to me is that now i am sometimes able to get into the chat room, but still i connect with a ping of around 700 and it usually goes up from there up to 2000!

I loved the game, but there is only a set amount of fun you can get from the bots...

I hope you guys manage to fix all conection issues soon.

May 25, 2009 11:10:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Strangely, Phazure has a problem on Vista/7, but not Windows XP.

May 25, 2009 7:27:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting E-Rock001,
No, keep trying.  I've never had problems, but I just spent 30 minutes failing to play any games.  Each time, everyone was showing connected to everyone except one player who was connected to no one.

The game is fun, but when my friends ask if they should buy it, I tell them no.

Ya I'm having the exact same problem, most of the time 3 out of the 4 people connect then the 4th never does and you just sit there until everyone quits.

Quoting Frogboy,
You're talking pantheon or custom games or skirmish?

This is happening to me in pantheon, probably will happen in skirmish as well since they connect the same way.  I wasn't having this problem until the last 2 patches that were released on friday.  Before it was connecting quite quickly within seconds, now if it doesn't connect quickly you can basically say forget it to your multiplayer game and try again.  I tried ejecting the user that wasn't connecting once and the game crashed to desktop.  These problems are definitely related to the latest patch some how.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000531   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.