The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Yes finally!

By on May 22, 2009 2:58:04 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

The dev team says that only people who have serious connection issues should use this (and we’ll have a smarter parameter shortly) but we now have:

/serverproxyonly which will force Demigod to have our servers host your connection. You put this as a parameter for your Demigod shortcut.

We spent the evening playing with people online who have previously been unable to play with fantastic results.

Everyone up there who has the word “(proxied)” in the above screenshot are likely people who would not have been able to connect previously.

Mr. Glass Half Empty

But not all is perfect in Demigod land. 

First, this update is only for connecting people together. Developer Gas Powered Games is cooking up v1.01 that has a lot of in-game networking changes. No official ETA on that yet.

Second, there’s still some logic changes needed IMO for Pantheon games because it’s still hit or miss. We got a lot of good data tonight but I’d say Pantheon (and skirmish too) are still pretty crummy in terms of reliably getting a 6 or 8 person game going with qualified people. I’m tempted to just have all pantheon/skirmish games hosted by us but that’s a bit of a last resort.

Possibly tomorrow, we may put up a Memorial weekend update with some new parameters. And yes, we do plan to have these parameters make their way into the game itself once we finalize them and set things up with Gas Powered Games (we did some voodoo to let us get those command line parameters in the first place without having to change the game EXE).

Hope you guys like what you see.  We are seeing some strange things from Version DSL and Cox Cable ISPs in terms of how they do their connections so we’re looking at that. 

Goodnight/good morning. Cheers!

+897 Karma | 76 Replies
May 22, 2009 3:07:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No, keep trying.  I've never had problems, but I just spent 30 minutes failing to play any games.  Each time, everyone was showing connected to everyone except one player who was connected to no one.

The game is fun, but when my friends ask if they should buy it, I tell them no.

May 22, 2009 3:12:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You're talking pantheon or custom games or skirmish?

May 22, 2009 3:14:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the news update.

Ive got some time between work and will check it out.

So far the majority of hosters are hosting games in the US/AUS - Lets see.

----------------------

There was an EU host named "Nazoe" or something. He gave up hosting as no one could join his game.

I can not connect or either people can connect to me to any of the current 7,8 hosted games ( hosting seems to be in AUS & USA ).

Will try Pantheon now...

----------------------

Didnt get Pantheon working. Met the same people in the connection process which tried to host custom games a bit earlier.

I like that its given information now mentioning the players names on those "proxied" and how many people are looking for a Pantheon game.

Since the last updates I can connect to more than 1 person, but still most people cant connect to me.

>>> Its the first time since May14th that someone managed to connect to me.

Still I cant play multiplayer.

------------------

Tried 2 more Pantheons - The connection dialog didnt show up anymore in those 2 tries.

------------------

Tried another Pantheon: This time I can connect to a lot of people, but no one to me - Thats the screenshot below.

In the screenshot above it was the other way around.

---------

Lets see how the German box sales goes.

If the Germans dont hesitate on the English language - Expect some new posts on connection issues.

I guess the experience for AUS/USA players is different than for EU players.

My friends in EU cant play Demigod since May14th.

May 22, 2009 3:15:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

BTW, anyone notice how long the pings are even with proxies in use? 

May 22, 2009 3:23:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How about that 50% off coupon! My friend really wants to play, and wants to give you money! =D

May 22, 2009 3:26:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I STILL cannot play this game properly.

Everytime I go to play Demigod, my MSN and XFire disconnect, which does not happen for any other game. Custom games I can only connect to the host, I just tried to play a pantheon and I connected to everyone, but one person who I connected to was "attempting" to connect me, and I was kicked. Yes I've tried the /serverproxyonly.

May 22, 2009 3:28:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

About 10% higher (over the last few days of direct connecting) from what i have seen so far Brad. That is based on a AU to US connection. It worked fine too btw.....

May 22, 2009 3:29:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Phazure: That's really weird.  I think we'd need to know a lot more about your connection. I mean, how or why would MSN or Xfire disconnect because of loading upa  game?

I'll be around tomorrow, i'll work with you personally so we can see what the deal is.

May 22, 2009 3:29:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Glad to hear there's been some success for those with issues now lets just hope these in-game network changes include not requiring to upload at a steady rate of 40Kb/s per person to maintain a 5v5 =X

May 22, 2009 3:29:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Works great here sir!

May 22, 2009 3:30:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

About 10% higher (over the last few days of direct connecting) from what i have seen so far Brad. That is based on a AU to US connection. It worked fine too btw.....

Outstanding.  That really does make the case that P2P games could be heading into the sunset and you could let proxy servers do it all.

May 22, 2009 3:43:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

May 22, 2009 5:13:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just joined my first custom game.  Then, while sitting in the game lobby the game crashed with this:

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at address 0x100cdee5
    attempted to read memory at 0x00300030

Program : C:\Program Files\Stardock Games\Demigod\bin\Demigod.exe
Cmd line arguments :

Callstack:
    UPNPNAT::add_port_mapping + 177653 bytes ((Unknown)(0) + 0 bytes)

Wonderful.  *sigh*

May 22, 2009 5:15:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Where are the 50% coupons Frogboy???

May 22, 2009 5:21:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Outstanding.  That really does make the case that P2P games could be heading into the sunset and you could let proxy servers do it all.

I think it would be better if it went straight to a proxy after direct connect failed for everyone, NAT punchthough takes ages for some people, and its quicker to just kick those people and wait for someone else rather than wait for them to fallback to a proxy. Also still getting issues with the connection info saying people are connected but demigod indicating '0 pings' and no connection, mostly occurs when people mass join a game.

May 22, 2009 5:51:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Argh, if I'd have stayed one more game, I'd have been there. I got crushed by Khiel's tower rook the previous game as my Ooze UB and was pretty disheartened.

May 22, 2009 6:08:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I guess the experience for AUS/USA players is different than for EU players.

My friends in EU cant play Demigod since May14th.

alot players from EU/germany can play Demigod, had problems first too but with right settings on my router everything works right.

May 22, 2009 6:25:21 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

OK - I tried the "/serverproxyonly" and got it to work BUT my pings are still 2000-5000ms (FRAK!!!). I'm on Verizon DSL. Could that be the problem? Any recommendations?

May 22, 2009 6:46:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
I'll be around tomorrow, i'll work with you personally so we can see what the deal is.

Reminds me why I love Stardock.

Had my first online today, first win too. Not that I had problems before, but because I never tried to get online until now. So happy DSL user in Europe here. Still wondering if my ~400kb up will be enough for a 5v5 match.

May 22, 2009 6:47:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Another piccy to show my problem:

May 22, 2009 7:24:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I appreciate your devotion to what I believe is an awesome game. Thanks.

May 22, 2009 8:28:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well I have been able to play a 3vs3 but I tried Pantheon 3 tiems and it never worked. My custom games worked after 3 tries.

I think I have been able to open my firewall ports... well the software from portforward.com tells me my port are opens but this site (http://www.canyouseeme.org/) tells me not... not sure what to trust here.

My game yesterday was so much fun!! Please add servers like Elemental . The game that worked joined quickly, start quickly. However near the end of the game I had a lot of lag. I don't think it is hardware related because my game with CPU (5vs5) I don't have lag.

Thank you for the hard work guys. You really deserve a good beer and some chips.

May 22, 2009 8:33:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I understand people's frustration with the connection issues of this game, but I have to say, that I am just completely impressed by the level of honesty and interaction that Stardock is committed to.  I have never seen a gaming company that admitted that they had a problem, let alone responded to criticism receptively.  I still have issues with Pantheon and Skirmish, I show connections in the Connections Information Dialog box and I connect easily to everyone, but it seems when the game starts a lot of people get dropped myself included.  So I play a lot of custom matches with friends and we never have a problem. My ISP is Cox Cable and you mentioned you were seeing some oddities there, so that might be my problem. I just wanted to say fantastic job all around; this game is great, your staff is amazing, and I do tell people to buy this game, and no one that I have talked into it has been disappointed.

May 22, 2009 8:54:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

(we did some voodoo to let us get those command line parameters in the first place without having to change the game EXE).

That voodoo essence ain't cheap. I'll sell you wholesale though.

May 22, 2009 8:58:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I had one week that I could play Demigod, and that was the betas a few weeks ago.

After that the following happens:

I start demigod, go into multiplayer, join a custom game and then demigod actually KILLS my ISP router. I need to reboot it to get it working again. When I log in to the router when this has happened all DSL status is listed as FAILED. This have never happened before with any game or application.

So now I have given up Demigod for a few weeks, I will be moving on to a new appartment with another ISP and hope that router can handle Demigod.

I find it very strange that a game can make a router malfunction completely and needs a hard reset....

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.