Greetings! Thursday/Friday updates

By on May 22, 2009 12:24:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1484

For those of you in software development what I'm going to write is known to you so you can skip the next paragraph.

So as some of you have heard, we have a lot of developers now on Demigod at Stardock. Since it became clear shortly after launch that there were tremendous scaling issues with the network connectivity for setting up games (i.e. when thousansd of people are online, messages between the NAT server and the clients got backed up) Stardock has taken it upon itself to write its own system in order to try to solve things faster.

You saw the initial results of those efforts late last week.

Tonight, we're launching the update that tells Demigod to have Stardock servers host the game if players have trouble connecting.  There's a lot of different modules involved for this and so different modules pass QA and are approved for integration.  

Normally, these modules would get put together into a "big" update but with Memorial weekend coming up which is a prime time for people playing games like this, we're taking those updates as they come out of QA, putting them in and taking advantage of Impulse's rapid deployment capabilities to put out these updates. They're tiny (less than a megabyte) each.

So tonight it looks like we're going to have 3 in one day.  Each one progressively better.

Now, will this make everyone happy? Probably not because there's some logic behind deciding when it should give up trying to connect someone and just use the proxy server.

If you're someone who has serious problems connecting to other people, you can force it to just have our servers host you by adding the command line parameter /serverproxyonly to the Demigod short-cut.  Though, note, this will add some latency but probably not much (we had test games all week between USA and Europe with total ping times >100ms).

So it's going to be a long night for us but we're extremely excited to see how this series of updates works out.  If anyone has any problems AFTER the third update (please don't post until 1.00.088 is being run -- that's the official version off of Impulse - mouse over the version number in Impulse to in the bottom left to see what sub-revision you have).  

Stay tuned!

Locked Post 36 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 22, 2009 10:29:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Will do.  Anyway, going to bed!

Cya tomorrow.

What you sleep and at night I allways thought frogs where nocternal<---- mispell I know sue me-->

May 22, 2009 10:43:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am wondering: why the /noAI or /serverproxy switch must be in the command line? Can they be made into the options in game?

Basically we're doing what we can without needing changes on GPG's end. Once they can though I don't doubt that sort of thing will go in-game.

May 22, 2009 11:16:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting GameIsGreat,

Quoting Frogboy, reply 3

Just so you know, when people post on the forums, an admin instantly sees which products they own or in your case don't own (not to mention when the account was created).

Just so you know I'm not dumb like you...I won't link my paid account to my forum account just so you can ban me without giving me my money back.  I may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night.

I highly recommend no one links their Impulse ID email with the forum (use a different email).  Also froggie said that they kick acocunt that don't have it registered. That is BS becuase I have another account on this forum that isn't linked to a game being purchased and it has never been banned.  Plus when you sign up they just encourage you to use the same email not that it is required.

Froggie you're running your company into the ground.

I don't understand how you really think you can out wit the CEO of a company at his own game? Are you that arrogant or just that stupid?

Creating multiple accounts on the SAME IP address doesn't make a single difference. He can just IP ban you, then what are you going to do? Grow up already. Plus, you just fucking confessed to your little "scheme"... making it known what you're doing and how to find/track your multiple accounts and just POOF you're gone.

Why would you call a man who has built a great company from the ground up and still manage to keep away from the corporate corruption and greed, stupid? He's obviously not stupid as you're a customer of his company.

Ah! People are so fucking frustrating!

May 22, 2009 11:27:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting GameIsGreat,

Quoting Frogboy, reply 3

Just so you know, when people post on the forums, an admin instantly sees which products they own or in your case don't own (not to mention when the account was created).

Just so you know I'm not dumb like you...I won't link my paid account to my forum account just so you can ban me without giving me my money back.  I may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night.

I highly recommend no one links their Impulse ID email with the forum (use a different email).  Also froggie said that they kick acocunt that don't have it registered. That is BS becuase I have another account on this forum that isn't linked to a game being purchased and it has never been banned.  Plus when you sign up they just encourage you to use the same email not that it is required.

Till SD gets bored with your trolling and asshat status and just IP bans you. You really don't think that they don't cross check IP's from posters like you to their ban lists.

Nice knowing you.

Edit - I guess i should read and type quicker...MishYu makes the point better than i.

May 22, 2009 11:42:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Neilo,

Edit - I guess i should read and type quicker...MishYu makes the point better than i.

hahaha Thanks for agreeing with me though.

Seriously, I don't understand how some people can be so .. .GRRR STUPID!!

It's getting old, the amount of people who think they'd know more about a system than the developers of the system.

*face palm*

May 22, 2009 11:52:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh i know. Having been on Stardock forums for over 3 years now i have seen this behaviour often.

Whats funnier is when in these situations you get the folk who have NFI who Frogboy is and challenge him in some way.

And what follows...??

May 22, 2009 11:52:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A person can be smart; people are always stupid.

That rule has served me well for many, many long years.

May 22, 2009 11:59:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ron Lugge,
A person can be smart; people are always stupid.

That rule has served me well for many, many long years.

ahaha.. the power of stupid people in large groups.

Smart person gets overpowered by the stupid masses.

May 22, 2009 12:57:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just so you know I'm not dumb like you...I won't link my paid account to my forum account just so you can ban me without giving me my money back. I may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night.

I highly recommend no one links their Impulse ID email with the forum (use a different email). Also froggie said that they kick acocunt that don't have it registered. That is BS becuase I have another account on this forum that isn't linked to a game being purchased and it has never been banned. Plus when you sign up they just encourage you to use the same email not that it is required.

Just FYI, unless you've logged in from a completely different IP address as the one you play on, or have logged on with before, they'll still be able to match you up with your real account.  So it's probably best if you didn't "tempt fate" by doing this - especially if you want to keep your account

May 22, 2009 1:26:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting MishYu,

I don't understand how you really think you can out wit the CEO of a company at his own game? Are you that arrogant or just that stupid?

Creating multiple accounts on the SAME IP address doesn't make a single difference. He can just IP ban you, then what are you going to do? Grow up already. Plus, you just fucking confessed to your little "scheme"... making it known what you're doing and how to find/track your multiple accounts and just POOF you're gone.

Why would you call a man who has built a great company from the ground up and still manage to keep away from the corporate corruption and greed, stupid? He's obviously not stupid as you're a customer of his company.

Ah! People are so fucking frustrating!

It's not difficult to change ones ip address.  I used to do it all the time in Diablo 2 to get around ipban from making too many games while dclone hunting.  Takes about a minute to do.  I wouldn't bet on him being smart enough to know how, but I'm just saying it isn't exactly bulletproof.

May 22, 2009 5:29:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

To quote Bullet Tooth Tony- "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.