The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Greetings! Thursday/Friday updates

By on May 22, 2009 12:24:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1467

For those of you in software development what I'm going to write is known to you so you can skip the next paragraph.

So as some of you have heard, we have a lot of developers now on Demigod at Stardock. Since it became clear shortly after launch that there were tremendous scaling issues with the network connectivity for setting up games (i.e. when thousansd of people are online, messages between the NAT server and the clients got backed up) Stardock has taken it upon itself to write its own system in order to try to solve things faster.

You saw the initial results of those efforts late last week.

Tonight, we're launching the update that tells Demigod to have Stardock servers host the game if players have trouble connecting.  There's a lot of different modules involved for this and so different modules pass QA and are approved for integration.  

Normally, these modules would get put together into a "big" update but with Memorial weekend coming up which is a prime time for people playing games like this, we're taking those updates as they come out of QA, putting them in and taking advantage of Impulse's rapid deployment capabilities to put out these updates. They're tiny (less than a megabyte) each.

So tonight it looks like we're going to have 3 in one day.  Each one progressively better.

Now, will this make everyone happy? Probably not because there's some logic behind deciding when it should give up trying to connect someone and just use the proxy server.

If you're someone who has serious problems connecting to other people, you can force it to just have our servers host you by adding the command line parameter /serverproxyonly to the Demigod short-cut.  Though, note, this will add some latency but probably not much (we had test games all week between USA and Europe with total ping times >100ms).

So it's going to be a long night for us but we're extremely excited to see how this series of updates works out.  If anyone has any problems AFTER the third update (please don't post until 1.00.088 is being run -- that's the official version off of Impulse - mouse over the version number in Impulse to in the bottom left to see what sub-revision you have).  

Stay tuned!

Locked Post 36 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 22, 2009 12:43:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

keeping my fingers crossed!

May 22, 2009 12:51:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting MistaSistas,
I've got my refund request on standby.  If this isn't a good weekend for the game...I'm done.

really? after the thread you just created? I think it's time to give you that refund

May 22, 2009 12:52:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've got my refund request on standby.  If this isn't a good weekend for the game...I'm done.

Just so you know, when people post on the forums, an admin instantly sees which products they own or in your case don't own (not to mention when the account was created).

May 22, 2009 12:59:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

haha, tell him froggy

May 22, 2009 12:59:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

hahaha, owned.

May 22, 2009 1:01:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Another thing I should mention is that people with the sam IP address end up being listed below posts when I view a post.  

Basically there's 2 people who keep creating new accounts and creating threads and comments.

May 22, 2009 1:07:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I was a little disappointed when I tried out the update earlier today and it didn't improve anything, still couldn't connect.

Then I added /serverproxyonly and it worked on the first try!  There wasn't even a delay trying to connect.  It wasn't perfect -- the game was a bit sluggish, one guy dropped after about 7-8 minutes, and everyone but me and one of my opponents vanished at (I think) around 20-25 minutes, but it was a lot better than not being able to play at all.  I also think this is the first 3v3 I've been able to get into.

I'd try again, but it's already too late for me.

May 22, 2009 1:15:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

hahaha owned in the pants

May 22, 2009 1:16:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting lambdaman,
I was a little disappointed when I tried out the update earlier today and it didn't improve anything, still couldn't connect.

Then I added /serverproxyonly and it worked on the first try!  There wasn't even a delay trying to connect.  It wasn't perfect -- the game was a bit sluggish, one guy dropped after about 7-8 minutes, and everyone but me and one of my opponents vanished at (I think) around 20-25 minutes, but it was a lot better than not being able to play at all.  I also think this is the first 3v3 I've been able to get into.

Damn, i feel sorry for you man. 3 vs 3 / 4 vs 4 are the best thing ever.

Edit: FROGGY, SEE THIS https://forums.demigodthegame.com/352562/#2219102        Take it to the powers that be!

May 22, 2009 1:18:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Will be there a logic to prevent lagging games? For example if a game lags ( Or a player ) The players are "reconnected and ordered" to proxy server? I wouldnt mind if the game stops for 30 secs to "recalculate" those things

May 22, 2009 1:25:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am wondering: why the /noAI or /serverproxy switch must be in the command line? Can they be made into the options in game?

Is it an interim solution to check what is working and will GPG put them in the option screen when all connexion problems have been reseolved?

May 22, 2009 1:27:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Peace Phoenix,
I am wondering: why the /noAI or /serverproxy switch must be in the command line? Can they be made into the options in game?

Is it an interim solution to check what is working and will GPG put them in the option screen when all connexion problems have been reseolved?

+1

May 22, 2009 1:37:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just played a very enjoyable and flawless 3v3 pantheon match 12:36 am US Central. No lag, droppers, nothing. It was quite the treat.

May 22, 2009 1:39:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Peace Phoenix,

/noAI ? That's the first I've seen of that command... does it do what I think it does?

May 22, 2009 1:44:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

we did the tournament thing tonight, we had some connection issues at first, but then a few people switched to the proxyonly and it worked much better, good job with that.

also frogboy u mentioned something about people on LAN. that shouldnt effect our ability to play online or use proxy servers will it? cuz my roommate also has this game

May 22, 2009 2:57:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

/noAI ? That's the first I've seen of that command... does it do what I think it does?

I am not sure if it is already available, but this post tells taht it will be available one day or another https://forums.demigodthegame.com/352561 

May 22, 2009 3:00:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If someone has problems, for now, they can use /serverproxyonly as the command line parameter.  We plan to do a better one called /skipnat or something for the next update as NAT is really pretty painful for some people.

May 22, 2009 3:14:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy my biggest issue right now is that when people quit out of the game early it separates more players than just that one. Player A drops so it disconnects player C and D, leaving player B alone in the original game. Makes the noobs dropping from games even more annoying (I'm not here to talk semantics, it is very clear when someone intentionally leaves). That and the click bug is still very common to myself and the people I play with regularly.

Now that I forced you to read the bad news, great job on the initial connection issues. I was oh so tired of playing Demilobby.

May 22, 2009 3:17:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yea, GPG is working on that. They've developed a new system for v1.01.

Hopefully, nobody is ever going to miss playing Demilobby but I think now I can go without.

Ah, it seems it was just last week that it took a minute to get into the lobby and then, no one else could get in. Oh wait, it WAS last week.

May 22, 2009 3:23:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes very fast work indeed, I commend you for that. I honestly have never experienced as much support (from any sort of business) as you guys have been providing. So thank you. Looking forward to 1.01!

Also check my PM! Hope it helps.

May 22, 2009 3:31:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Will do.  Anyway, going to bed!

Cya tomorrow.

May 22, 2009 9:46:07 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Just so you know, when people post on the forums, an admin instantly sees which products they own or in your case don't own (not to mention when the account was created).

Just so you know I'm not dumb like you...I won't link my paid account to my forum account just so you can ban me without giving me my money back.  I may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night.

I highly recommend no one links their Impulse ID email with the forum (use a different email).  Also froggie said that they kick acocunt that don't have it registered. That is BS becuase I have another account on this forum that isn't linked to a game being purchased and it has never been banned.  Plus when you sign up they just encourage you to use the same email not that it is required.

Froggie you're running your company into the ground.

May 22, 2009 9:55:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting lambdaman,

Still broken .  I just tried a few times and either got dropped at the loading screen, or couldn't get into a match at all.  I guess I was just lucky last night (or maybe the new patch broke something else for me).  Logs are on their way to support.

May 22, 2009 10:03:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You guys work hard, thanks for all the updates. The more that can connect to play the better, this game is awesome and i am addicted. I have become a pc gamer once again after a long hiatus to (ps3,360,wii)

May 22, 2009 10:19:03 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Froggie you're running your company into the ground.

*looks around the office*

Nah, we're doing just fine.  The only part of our company that is partly in the ground is the basement.

Creating multiple accounts to dodge the ban hammer simply doesn't work.  If Brad wanted you gone, you'd be gone.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001187   Page Render Time: