The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Some thoughts on people dropping during the game

By on May 21, 2009 3:45:47 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Recently I posted a blog asking what people’s speed test rating:

http://frogboy.impulsedriven.net/article/351550/Whats_your_speedtest_rating

Lots of interesting data there.

Most people tend to only think about their download speeds and little about their upload speeds. But if you look, at that thread, a lot of people have marginal upload speeds as in well less than a single megabit.

Since I know I’m not a typical user, I talked to a friend of mine whose connection is about 2 megabits down but only .16 megabits up.  Looking at that thread, there are quite a few people who are getting less than a half megabit up.

Then I asked him to open up task manager in Vista and open up networking:

I had him add more columns so I could see the bytes sent per interval.  Turn out, he was already sending around 10k a second (bit torrent client in the background) plus a bunch of little tray items that occasionally tossed another 5k to 20k now and then.  That’s kilobytes btw.

Now, when you see that you have say a 0.2 megabit upload speed, that means your system tops out at 25k per second. 

Demigod, being a game that is synchronous (what you see on the screen is the same as what other people see) uses 1k per second up to over 20k per second as you add players.  And it’s not linear. I.e. it takes a lot more to handle 8 people than 6 people and a lot lot more to do 10 people than 8.

So let me ask you a question: What do you think the in-game behavior would look like if you’re playing someone who has an internet connection that can’t do more than 0.4 megabit upload in an 8 person game? Their sim speed would be fine. Depending on the way their system handles ping requests their ping might be fine or it might quickly jump to several seconds to respond.  Toss in some “security” programs that sniff every packet coming in to that too.

Now luckily, there are some things that can be done about this. 

First, there’s just plain awareness. Since I’m always in debug mode, whenever I get into a game that’s “stuttering” I ask if anyone is running any network programs. I usually end up finding out that someone has bit torrent running in the background but they have a “5 megabit” connection.

You know, 5 megabit like this:

Second, it’s pretty clear (to me anyway) that we’re going to have to make some tools that are accessible in game that will help identify people who are (need a new term) band-lagging out. They  might have a great ping (26ms for instance) but they can’t play with 8 people unless they turn off the other junk they have going on.

Third, we can look for ways to reduce the amount of data being sent across. I’m not privy to the network traffic but I do know that things like the friends list and chat windows in game and such do add to the mix.

Fourth, those who have seen people disconnect during the middle of the game can open up task manager (on Vista) and do what I asked my friend to do. It’s the type of thing that might help people with other games too. I suspect my friend’s Word of Warcraft experience will improve after I told him to turn off some of the junk he had loaded.

Two-Way education

One of the things I’ve learned during Demigod’s release is just how unaware some people are on how this stuff works.  You’ll get someone with a connection like what I showed above saying “Well, Left 4 Dead works fine!”.  Well, of course, you’re connecting to a dedicated server in a non-synced game.  A first person shooter is a totally different system than a strategy game.

I had one user I was talking to who was telling me how “broken” networking is in Demigod because every time he plays he lags out.  I asked him a few questions and eventually discovered that he has an Xbox 360 and is almost constantly downloading movies from Xbox Live.  When I brought that up, he said “But that’s on a different network cable.” 

I highly recommend looking at that thread though:

http://frogboy.impulsedriven.net/article/351550/Whats_your_speedtest_rating

It’s very educational.

+897 Karma | 87 Replies
May 21, 2009 5:37:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have 2 network cables plugged into my pc, that means double the speed right? hehehe

May 21, 2009 5:44:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Second, it’s pretty clear (to me anyway) that we’re going to have to make some tools that are accessible in game that will help identify people who are (need a new term) band-lagging out. They  might have a great ping (26ms for instance) but they can’t play with 8 people unless they turn off the other junk they have going on.

It's called ren_shownetworkstats. Turn on the damn console.

May 21, 2009 5:47:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

20KB/s (note the capital is about 0.16Mb/s.  If that is indeed somewhere around the maximum upload required for a 5v5 match (which I would hope so, as it's a lot for a game) then most of those DSL lines with .3Mb/s uploads should be fine... as long as they aren't running BT and other junk in the background as well.

-dolynick

May 21, 2009 5:51:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ron Lugge,

Edit edit:  Wow, I thought I was better than this:  (wait, that's MB not KB... lol)

Actually its Mb .. not MB. (Megabit not Megabyte)

May 21, 2009 5:51:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

20KB/s does sound like a lot for a game that theoretically should be able to render the same on each computer by receiving only move/skill commands from each other's demigods, the rest is out of the players control and if it was designed well should render correctly without requiring data to be sent.  I could see it in supcom where a player has direct control over 500 units at a time, but the hundreds of npc minions running around the map shouldn't need network traffic to render correctly, they're automated by a pretty ridged AI (enemy is close, attack, otherwise follow group path).  At least you'd figure that would be the optimal way to do it.

May 21, 2009 5:53:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ron Lugge,
One strange thing that poppedo ut at me is the way my download started really faast (50+) then dropped down to a lower speed fairly quickly...  anyone have any idea why that happened, and the reverse (upload initially slow, then topping out fast) happened?

This is called burst bandwidth... most ISPs allow you to temporarily exceed your limit so grandma can download the msn.com page faster, but fuck you if you ever try to actually do something with that bandwidth

May 21, 2009 5:53:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sevenix,
Yeah, In early beta we had some serious discussion about how much upload demigod really required, it was easier back then when we had access to the Bandwidth command to actually see how much the game was using.

Here's my speedtest btw, Sweden ftw.

You only have that speed because your on a LAN with the speedtest server. You ping 3. Either its next door or your in the same network so of course you will have a INSANE connection speed.

Not bad for FL.

May 21, 2009 6:01:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@Lisbon, Portugal

May 21, 2009 6:13:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well...to what distance from the server should we test it? I'm just asking, i've done my share of testing on this thread, as you know. Do not assume that all people who have lag problems in this game are so naive to let torrents in the background or other stuff like this.

I've measured (with a program called BitMeter) how much bandwidth DG uses in a 5v5 match and my avg upload/download usage was around 45 kilobytes/sec.

May 21, 2009 6:20:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Dead Ghost,
Well...to what distance from the server should we test it? I'm just asking, i've done my share of testing on this thread, as you know. Do not assume that all people who have lag problems in this game are so naive to let torrents in the background or other stuff like this.

I've measured (with a program called BitMeter) how much bandwidth DG uses in a 5v5 match and my avg upload/download usage was around 45 kilobytes/sec.
Which is 360 kilobits, yes? More than many internet connections can provide.

May 21, 2009 6:22:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you don't have a cheap connection, you'll be fine

May 21, 2009 6:32:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hmm... I'm assuming that's for each direction and not combined.

That's 5KB/s to each of the other players.  Seems like an awful lot for a game of this sort.

If you don't have a cheap connection, you'll be fine

A lot of people don't have all that much choice you know.  It's not even about getting the cheapest service but rather a matter of what is simply available in their area.

-dolynick

May 21, 2009 6:37:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy would it be possible to do a quick upload speed test during login? This way it can limit the size of the game some people get matched up in, Or make those users go through the proxy automatically and have the proxy the user connects to be an itermediary. The proxy server would act as the user and sync to everyone in the match instead of the user, and then the proxy server sends all the info to the person? This way the user needs the minimum upload speed. I'm not sure if that approach would be to bandwidth intensive for your servers.

May 21, 2009 6:45:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It would be quite a big "error " if the game actually needed that much bandwidth... I can name a number of games that would logicly need more then DG, yet i have 0 issues.

If all of this is however the case ( and im starting to think it is) It explains why i have issues with anything over 3 players.. as the upload just cant keep up. im running at a .86 Mb/s according to speedtest, but this simply makes to much sense to not be the case

What i mean is that i have encountered twice that enough players droppedd leaving me with 2 or 3 opponents and suddenly my lag went away. So yeah..

And i agree with dolynick about the "cheap connection" stuff. If i could id get the best internet around. Sadly they dont have much choice where i life. So im stuck with this untill i move ( which is a bit much to ask just to be able to play a 5v5)

May 21, 2009 6:49:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm glad you brought that up. You can't imagine how many people I've been fighting over this in different games. The complete lack of knowledge of what is "upload speed" is astounding. People only swear by their download speed.

Here is mine :

May 21, 2009 6:55:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

new update is live!

Demigod - May 18th update
--------------------------------

Added proxy server fallback (after direct connection and nat negotiation)

Demigod - May 18th update
--------------------------------

Skirmish and Pantheon join game tweaks.

May 21, 2009 6:57:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Charter:  4.9 Mb/s down, .49 Mb/s up.

May 21, 2009 7:02:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][/URL] 

May 21, 2009 7:07:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ciber,

Quoting Dead Ghost, reply 9Well...to what distance from the server should we test it? I'm just asking, i've done my share of testing on this thread, as you know. Do not assume that all people who have lag problems in this game are so naive to let torrents in the background or other stuff like this.

Yes, 360 kilobits. Anyone can use that program to test their bandwidth usage, it's freeware. Run it in stopwatch mode, at least that's what i did.

May 21, 2009 7:19:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No Packet Filters Running. Ofc no download while gaming (honestly, who would such a thing?!)

I think this should be enough bandwidth. Well as I said, I do get alot more "lag outs" a.k.a. "player has left the game" (all players) compared to the first 2 weeks of release. Something must have changed in recent patches so this happens this much more often.

May 21, 2009 7:36:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Dead Ghost,

Quoting Ciber,
reply 10

Quoting Dead Ghost, reply 9Well...to what distance from the server should we test it? I'm just asking, i've done my share of testing on this thread, as you know. Do not assume that all people who have lag problems in this game are so naive to let torrents in the background or other stuff like this.

Yes, 360 kilobits. Anyone can use that program to test their bandwidth usage, it's freeware. Run it in stopwatch mode, at least that's what i did.
Well an average good DSL connection here in the UK has only 'up to' 448kbps (kilobit) upload. Then add in some 'protocol overhead', about 15%. I would say that is a bit close to the limit. If your ISP is a bit crappy you can't play DG 5v5 online properly then... True?

May 21, 2009 7:48:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm behind stardock with the game itself and the work put in but I'm not going to worship every post put out there. This post serves to show that the network infrastructure of this game clearly needs work. Many 'high speed' providers as stated offer great download rates with slow to average upload rates. Why then should demigod be considered a 5v5 game when even a large portion of broadband customers can't play a reasonable match. What about those of us trying to play together on a network simultaniously? Never have I been limitted in any game P2P or otherwise by upload limits and DG should be no different.

That being said I persoanlly have had no major issues playing 2v2 or 3v3 with 2 players on my network simultaniously. If anything my router at times seems to be the issue as I may disconnect continulously until restarting it. Again only a DG issue no other P2P or similar game has ever caused this. I've played up to 4v4 with both of us in the same game but it becomes sketchy though not unplayable. The point however remains that this is a first for any game that I've ever owned and the netcode for the game should continue to be optimized for, dare I say, 'low' end broadband users (10Mb/s down 0.5-1.0Mb/s up). To be blunt FB you sound like its a revelation that most of these users are running on a .5Mb/s upload line, perhaps you guys should do a little more research of your target market next time.

Sorry if this was blunt but its true, you can't talk about the longevity and AAA quality of the game if a large player base will not be able to enjoy every aspect of it.

May 21, 2009 7:59:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Campus internet at its finest. Other times...well, : /

I don't have any problems running Demigod ~_~

May 21, 2009 8:01:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

By the way good work on the proxy update, I can now connect to every-and-any-one. Thanks! Had a 5v5 going earler. Unfortunatley several players dropped before the game was really started, but it is progress. Getting a 2v2 or 3v3 going is much quicker and easier now.

May 21, 2009 8:06:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

While I appreciate you bringing this issue to the table and think that the in-game bandwidth meter would be useful, I'm a little hesitant to completely blame customers for their ignorance. Until these metrics are shown in the game, the users should not be expected to know their network limitations. Some customers don't have a choice of their connections and by limiting the enjoyment for these customers you are limiting your market share.  Honestly, I think that more time should be spent trying to reduce the amount of synchronous data being sent from peer-to-peer (I know you're already doing this from other posts) rather than trying to create a connectivity class structure. However, if you have to leave the P2P improvements to GPG then it might be worth investigating if you can do this on the SD side.  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000593   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.