The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Proxy Servers & Responses

By on May 20, 2009 6:35:42 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

We’ve internally staged the new proxy server update for Demigod.  It’s going through QA right now but it’s looking like it won’t pass QA tonight due to just sheer lack of time.  Last week we had a lot of people working late into the night in QA to get builds but I’m trying to avoid having people working crazy hours now that the MP works for most people pretty flawlessly.

Here are the things that the update is supposed to do:

1. If a user failed direct connect and then fails to connect via NAT it will send them over to a proxy server that will host the game for them. In theory, it should be pretty bullet proof but you’d be surprised how hard it is to test since, not surprisingly, “direct connect and NAT work great here!”.
  2. Supposedly the favor points and favor items work properly. But I’ve heard this before so I’ll believe it when I see it.
  3. Supposedly, and I haven’t verified this personally yet, the /noAI option is in which will prevent AI players from being in pantheon or skirmish games.
  4. When looking to join pantheon or skirmish games, Demigod will tell you once it starts polling users, how many people are looking for games. By doing so, we can increase the match making max time from 2 minutes to 5 minutes so that players can get better quality matches.

But it’s not looking like it’ll go up tonight for the public.

Some comments from “What the hell happened?”

I get around the net too and the article I wrote that outlined specifically what happened with Demigod got out there. There have been lots of interesting comments on the net and I thought I’d take this opportunity to respond to some of them.

How did they not perform any simulations or trial runs with players connecting out over the internet in order to stress test this? If they did, how could their testing not notice that routers in general don't like large numbers of listening sockets on it's clients? This is a serious amateur mistake.

Very few routers have a problem with this.  The problem was not the # of sockets but the precise timing needed in handing off the sockets. We didn’t realize until 2 weeks in that the scalability problem in Demigod’s MP matchmaking was due to the third party network library we used having up to 30 to 40 second delays once there were thousands of players on.  During the beta, users ran into this problem too and the solution was to add more servers and increase the timing threshold from <1 second (in beta 2) to around 5 seconds for beta 3f and release).  But the delays we saw weren’t 3 or 4 seconds but 30, 40, 60 seconds. It increased exponentially not linearly.

Minus an open public MP beta, this would never have been found.  In hindsight, that’s what we should have done, clearly.  But neither Stardock or Gas Powered Games, both with considerable experience in this area, foresaw a problem. Clearly we blew it.  The ultimate answer is that neither of us have ever released a game that was primarily played multiplayer and so our assumptions on what to expect were simply wrong.

I thought it was so distasteful how this team tried to blame Gamestop for releasing the game early... but then the big problem with the game really ended up being shitty coding on their part. I kind of think Stardock is full of whiny bitches now.

The Gamestop early release didn’t help matters but it did expose that the MP system didn’t scale well.  And while Stardock takes full responsibility for the decisions it made. The issues involved don’t involve Stardock “code”.  We are the publisher of the game and licensed third-party tech.  The third party tech works very well under normal circumstances but simply had not been used in a P2P game like this.  As the publisher, we made the final call on what tech was used for this so it’s ultimately our fault.

Soooooooooooo they are going to do it right this time with their Single Player [Elemental] game, but not fix Demigod so it's server hosted?

We can only do things “right” on games we code.  Moreover, Elemental is a turn-based game and thus a client/server game is less sensitive to latency than a RTS like Demigod.  For the record, I support GPG’s MP design given what was known at the time.  Every RTS I know of, other than Sins of a Solar Empire, is P2P.

What is going on these days with company reps feeling obligated to explain the intricate deatils of the inner-workings of their, engine, business strategies, technical issues.

Here's news to anyone in the future who feels compelled to offer an explanation for whatever bad befalls their company.

No one cares why. Notice in sports how there isn't a "Loseres circle" where the losers get to rationalize and explain why they lost. Sadly reporters force the loser coaches to speak up these days but in general we do not celebrate the loser.

So buck up kiddies. This is a tough inductry, not for the faint of heart. When you fail you (should) fail alone. Don't bring the rest of us down with your miserable stories of failure.

This comment is particularly hard to address.  Demigod is certainly not a “failure” by any standard.  While I might focus on the negative (clearly, I’m a glass is half empty kind of guy), Demgod’s reviews put it well in the upper list of games released this year (particularly if you remove the first week reviews).  Its sales are quite strong, particularly digitally.  That doesn’t mean the multiplayer launch wasn’t a total cluster. It was. But I don’t think that makes Demigod anything remotely approaching a failure. In the long-run the game’s constant updating and growing community will ensure it has a strong long-term future.

That said, I also believe strongly that when a product or service has problems in some area that the company who produces (or publishes) it should be very up front with their customers.  Maybe I’m wrong and people are sick of these journal entries but that’s my view on it.

+912 Karma | 90 Replies
May 20, 2009 8:37:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That said, I also believe strongly that when a product or service has problems in some area that the company who produces (or publishes) it should be very up front with their customers.  Maybe I’m wrong and people are sick of these journal entries but that’s my view on it.

I really agree with you. I think it's a sign of respect to inform custumers as you do.

And by the way, I really enjoy reading your news each day

May 20, 2009 8:46:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The only issue here is also the reason why other companies don't make these kinds of entries; no one can see delays coming. No matter how good you plan ahead there is always one little thing that props up that can put you behind. Like baby turtles. Companies such as Blizzard or EA Games only make Offical Statements rather than informal journal entries, and they make sure that when they make those Offical Statements that they can meet any dates they've listed. It's why they take 6 months to tell you they're working on a patch to fix a problem and let the community run wild with speculation.

I'd rather have someone tell me 'Ok, Proxy servers will be up tomorrow' and then when it's delayed say 'Ok, here's why it's late and here's when you can expect it' 32 days in a row rather than have the entire community filling the forum with 'ZOMG Devs aren't listening they r taste our Tears good!!1!!' threads.
I'm also happy we didn't get one post after a month saying "We're happy to inform our loyal customer base that a patch is currently in the works to address all known issues." and then another post two months after that saying "We're happy to inform our loyal customer base that a patch is currently nearing completion. Your patience is appreciated." I like to be kept in the loop.

May 20, 2009 8:54:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

more mumbo jumbo .. when i get my games up again i will stop hounding you with your "delay journals" which i like to call them , played before no problems  ... now its worse then ever noone can get a full game running in pantheon.

I cant connect whatsoever to custom and skirmish is like walking into a ragequit jungle if your better then the average bloke , and most probably it has the same issues as pantheon.

love how i train 1 month at the game to get better then get manhandled by your patch and my sharp sword will get more dull every day that passes.

sorry brad , but i want my game working , and yes my physical copy has been lost in the mail somewhere , not that i care about measly 20 bucks but still.

May 20, 2009 8:55:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Eternal_Silence,
Where do we write the /slashcommands? Is it a button we click or do we have to edit some sort of text file?
Add it to the properties of the Demigod link on the Desktop (or start menu). I don't know how to put options in for Impulse though.

May 20, 2009 8:55:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy:

This is my first time I ever post on these forums. I normally prefer to only read rather than participate in the discussion but I feel that I need to say something on this.

The gaming industry has always been vague upon the innerworkings of what happens inside of a game. No publisher company ever takes time to explain what happens, what goes wrong, or what they are working on. They do not communicate anything at all. All they care for is how to maximize profit regardless of what the consumers think. All they really do is sell us the game. You have radically changed that. Stardock is showing the world how open developers and publishers should be with the consumers. GPG and you all have taken a new way of thinking and I have to admit, it is amazing. These journals you take your time to write take us to your world and allow us to understand what is happening with the product we purchased.

The overall relationship between Stardock and this community should serve as an example to every publisher out there on how to maintain customer service at this whole new level.

So when I read this:

"What is going on these days with company reps feeling obligated to explain the intricate deatils of the inner-workings of their, engine, business strategies, technical issues.

Here's news to anyone in the future who feels compelled to offer an explanation for whatever bad befalls their company.

No one cares why."

all I want to say is "Don't listen to them." You are doing an excellent job. I am quite satisfied that my money was invested in a game published by Stardock. In fact, I am about to purchase another copy for a good friend of mine to be able to join me.

I know my opinion does not count but I just wanted to drop in and speak my mind.

Once again, thank you for the customer service that you provide. I hope the world can follow the path Stardock is leaving behind it.

May 20, 2009 9:02:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What is going on these days with company reps feeling obligated to explain the intricate deatils of the inner-workings of their, engine, business strategies, technical issues.

No one cares why. Notice in sports how there isn't a "Loseres circle" where the losers get to rationalize and explain why they lost. Sadly reporters force the loser coaches to speak up these days but in general we do not celebrate the loser.

So buck up kiddies. This is a tough inductry, not for the faint of heart. When you fail you (should) fail alone. Don't bring the rest of us down with your miserable stories of failure.

This comment is particularly hard to address.  Demigod is certainly not a “failure” by any standard.  While I might focus on the negative (clearly, I’m a glass is half empty kind of guy), Demgod’s reviews put it well in the upper list of games released this year (particularly if you remove the first week reviews).  Its sales are quite strong, particularly digitally.  That doesn’t mean the multiplayer launch wasn’t a total cluster. It was. But I don’t think that makes Demigod anything remotely approaching a failure. In the long-run the game’s constant updating and growing community will ensure it has a strong long-term future.

That guy is an idot frogboy.  The reason, I stuck with you through all of this was the very fact that you explained open and honestly went wrong.  Do I think you should of done a better job with the initial testing?  Yes!  But, I knew you would fix it and be honest on what was going on.

I'll continue to buy your games, because I like your style.   Heck I bought Gal Civ and the expansions just to support you guys.  I really don't like the games.  I'm not much of a "space guy".

Keep up the good work, but if you release another multiplayer focused game, don't let this happen again.  Then that tells me you aren't learning from your mistakes.

Take Care

Jason

May 20, 2009 9:05:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'll also throw my support in for the updates.  Of course it's frustrating (and kinda funny) to go back and see all the "such and such will be working tomorrow" posts over and over again, but I also understand how challenging getting sthis stuff to work right for everyone is.  Keep up the journals.  This company's relationship with its userbase is what other game companies should aspire to.

May 20, 2009 9:08:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I love to read these journals. It gives a very good insight how the clockwerk is ticking and maybe, just maybe, people are not so ignorant especially when it comes down to network issues when they read this.

May 20, 2009 9:16:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wheras I enjoy reading your reviews, the part I would like to complain about is this sort of thing...

But I think that should be weighted with what the average user who gets Demigod will experience and in reality, as annoying as this issue is, it’s not something that’s going to be an ongoing issue, it’s something that is likely to be taken care of in the next day or two.  So this time next week, players will be happily playing but GameSpot’s review will live on.

That was from April 15th. There have been numerous other claims that have been made indicating you're just around the corner, or youve finally found the problem and it will all be right in a day or two.

5 weeks later from the above comment, we still have serious problems with the multiplayer. Sure we can cannect reasonably reliably over multiplayer, so long as you're prepared to crash once or twice in the process.

Id sooner just be told that youre working on it and maybe give a few details ather than hear this major breakthrough stuff and how in 2 days its going to be flawless, over and over just to have my hopes dashed then it does come out.

Having said all that, I greatly appreciate your dedication to geting the product working and its because of this attitude and my certainty that *someday* you will et it working flawlessly, that claiming a refund was never a consideration to me.

I look forward to future well supported stardock products.

May 20, 2009 9:25:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Vladesch,
Wheras I enjoy reading your reviews, the part I would like to complain about is this sort of thing...

But I think that should be weighted with what the average user who gets Demigod will experience and in reality, as annoying as this issue is, it’s not something that’s going to be an ongoing issue, it’s something that is likely to be taken care of in the next day or two.  So this time next week, players will be happily playing but GameSpot’s review will live on.

That was from April 15th. There have been numerous other claims that have been made indicating you're just around the corner, or youve finally found the problem and it will all be right in a day or two.

5 weeks later from the above comment, we still have serious problems with the multiplayer. Sure we can cannect reasonably reliably over multiplayer, so long as you're prepared to crash once or twice in the process.

Id sooner just be told that youre working on it and maybe give a few details ather than hear this major breakthrough stuff and how in 2 days its going to be flawless, over and over just to have my hopes dashed then it does come out.

Having said all that, I greatly appreciate your dedication to geting the product working and its because of this attitude and my certainty that *someday* you will et it working flawlessly, that claiming a refund was never a consideration to me.

I look forward to future well supported stardock products.

I work in software development as a designer and ex-project manager.  Let me tell you, there are so many times you think you have nagging issues bugs fixed, but when you go to market with your solution it just doesn't scale correctly.  I know as a fan, its frustrating but I get it.

If I had a dime for everytime one of my programmers told me they had it "fixed".  I would be a rich man indeed...

May 20, 2009 9:33:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I certainly appreciate Brad, SD, and GPG's dedication to getting this thing straightened out. I guess my main fear now is that this whole proxy server thing is not going to be the magic bullet it is being billed as. Trust me, I pray to Oak that it is but I have this quesy, sinking feeling everytime I patch, get excited, only to have the same litany of problems all over again - fingers crossed.

May 20, 2009 9:33:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Seriously your reports are what kept most people that might leave, here. There is NO other publisher or developer that I know of that is this up front and its a really nice thing to see. I mean as a company yall need to make lots of money but being honest while making lots of money is so the way to go.

I don't really know of any other games that people buy just to support their publisher or developer. So keep up the great work and I'll see if I can send yall a pet badger or something.  

May 20, 2009 9:35:06 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've been a critic of the game since it was first released.  I see the potential, but it hasn't been realized yet.  Plain and simple.  That being said, how can you justify berating the publisher for keeping you informed on what's wrong and what they're are doing to rectify it?  Incredible.  I haven't played that many games since the first couple of weeks, but I check in daily to find out the games status. 

Thanks Frogboy.

May 20, 2009 9:36:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well im starting to hate dota since there is like this much " [ ] " word about the next patch. its been like months x.x  so its nice when demigod fills u in on some stuff u guys are working on. however i do wish there are more changes to the actual gameplay. (though i understand the prioritization for people who cant even play)

May 20, 2009 9:56:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I still enjoy reading these and I think the person you quoted is 100% wrong.  Customers want transparency and open communication especially when problems arise. 

I personally really enjoy all the post in the Demigod Journals.

-Jara

May 20, 2009 10:16:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Brad can't win: if he posts all the dirty laundry he will get lambasted for the drama; if he keeps his nose to the grindstone he will get skewered for ignoring his customers. So what else is new? You can't please everyone and it's foolish to try. Welcome to the big leagues of business. 

I don't think the issue of updates and transparency means all that much in the end because forum participants are only a small and very un-representative bunch of fickle folks. The small army of rabid fans who like reading this sort of thing will continue to praise the value in these posts. And those who don't care for them will remind the others that posts don't make the game work. At the end of the day, what *counts* is that the vast majority of users who bought this game could give a rat's ass about what the devs are saying on some forum they're never going to read. They want a game that works and if the game fails to deliver they will dismiss it as yet another wannabe product and move on to something else. Harsh, perhaps, but that's business.

And make no mistake about it. This is a business.

May 20, 2009 10:16:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy you have 236 karma, pass a point my way and all will be forgiven with these issues.  I'm very easy to buy off.  

May 20, 2009 10:31:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I learned something about p2p from demigod. Only use it to download stuff .

May 20, 2009 10:42:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I love your openness with people. It's much better than other game companies that release something with massive bugs and don't let anyone know what's going on. You guys have released more patches in the last couple weeks for Demigod than most companies release for an entire game. Granted, these are much smaller updates than those very large updates, but it's nice to know you guys keep trying and trying, and still manage to find the time to keep us up to date on what's going on. This is why I support you guys all the way. Plus Stardock makes some killer games .

May 20, 2009 11:06:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting RegnorVex,

I don't think the issue of updates and transparency means all that much in the end because forum participants are only a small and very un-representative bunch of fickle folks. The small army of rabid fans who like reading this sort of thing will continue to praise the value in these posts. And those who don't care for them will remind the others that posts don't make the game work. At the end of the day, what *counts* is that the vast majority of users who bought this game could give a rat's ass about what the devs are saying on some forum they're never going to read. They want a game that works and if the game fails to deliver they will dismiss it as yet another wannabe product and move on to something else. Harsh, perhaps, but that's business.

As much as i like these journals (i think i have spent more time on this than in the game itself), i agree with Regnor. Brad said that demigod sold ~100.000 copies and i seriously doubt they are that many on the demigod forums (and active).

All those reviews (almost all) praised the game for what it is (and i agree with them, it's a great game), but in the end it's a mp game, and a mp only game has to work. Ok, maybe not from day one, shit happens, maybe not in the first week...but after a month? They made some progress with it, but it's still a mess, especially Pantheon (that was an important feature of the game, in theory) and skirmish, so it's far from "flawless". Now i know that the ingame stuff belongs to GPG and it's their responsibility, but we hardly know anything from them (interviews, forums, etc), so you take the hit for it.

And btw, i'm still wondering why CoH, SC or DoW2, all p2p games, didn't have this major problems...

May 20, 2009 11:51:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This comment is particularly hard to address.

Because it's absurd.  Communicating why things are failling isn't a problem, the problem is that things are failling.  With a normal company, the exact same process would be going on in the background, just hidden from the end users (us).  With you, now we know what the failures and problems are, rather than just being told that 'we're working on a patch, get it out as soon as possible I promise!' for three months.

May 21, 2009 12:20:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Dead Ghost,
And btw, i'm still wondering why CoH, SC or DoW2, all p2p games, didn't have this major problems...

The games you've listed don't use the exact system Demigod uses - for example SC (Starcraft) uses Battle.net and I believe DoW2 uses Relics own networking system. I can't comment on CoH's as I've never played that game. All of those games' developers have had previous experience with multiplayer - this is GPG's and Stardock's first multiplayer centric title so give them some time.

May 21, 2009 12:29:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,
GPG's and Stardock's first multiplayer centric title so give them some time.

GPG did dungeon siege, which allowed several players to connect up for a dungeon bash.

I never had any connection problems with that.

May 21, 2009 12:31:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, that's it. I haven't been able to play DG for over 2 weeks. It's time to confirm my 75% refund. I'll be spending that money towards Elemental. See you in a couple months.

May 21, 2009 12:58:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Vladesch,
GPG did dungeon siege, which allowed several players to connect up for a dungeon bash.
I never had any connection problems with that.

That's probably due to it being connected through the Zone, Microsoft's Match Making service.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000735   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.