The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Misunderstanding a great Game: More bad Reviews out there :-(

By on May 20, 2009 6:51:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I thought, most negative reviews came out during the 1st week, because of the connection issues.

But there are still silly reviews coming out and hurting DG :

PC Zone UK 68%

Teletext GameCentral 70%

Total PC Gaming 70%

Edge Magazine 70%

I think DG will never reache 80% at metacritic, because there are to much reviewers searching for great Single-Player experience in this MP game

Its really a silly thing..... why on hell are they hurting a MP focused RTS title for a lack of SP experience ?
why on hell have these magazines given excellent reviews for Unreal Tournament or the Battlefield series.... because the SP doesn t matter for "MP-shooters", but for "MP-RTS"titles the SP is still important ? lOl

all these "reviewers" have failed there mission

(sry for my english)

0 Karma | 33 Replies
May 20, 2009 7:03:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, on demigod's behalf......i havent heard of those reviewers....ever. So i am just guessing they are pretty crappy.

May 20, 2009 7:11:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think they seem to be based mainly in the UK thus why most of you won't have heard of them.  But even being in Scotland myself I would never listen to them, the best reviews here come from PC gamer UK and its their 81(i think) that I would place my faith in.  Still its a pity that bad reviewers can bring a game down, fair enough if they game a bad review on the games merits alone but completely missing the point is unfair to developers.

May 20, 2009 8:07:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Edge Magazine is the only one that rings a bell.

May 20, 2009 8:22:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Those reviewers have almost no impact on the metacritic score.

May 20, 2009 9:12:52 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting RamzaBehoulve,
Those reviewers have almost no impact on the metacritic score.
Are you sure?  http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/demigod?q=demigod

May 20, 2009 9:22:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

all reviews have the same impact on metacritic, however with 30 reviews in there won't be big changes anymore and it probably will remain at 77/78.

May 20, 2009 9:28:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ferm1nc,
Well, on demigod's behalf......i havent heard of those reviewers....ever. So i am just guessing they are pretty crappy.

Sorry, but if you have never heard of Edge, then I am not sure who is crappy...

And from Edge, a 7/10 is pretty good.

May 20, 2009 9:32:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If it was a multiplayer game at $30, then the reviews were different.  This is a full game at $40, well not quite $50 yet but still at $40, reviewers assume one will get a full single player and multiplayer game.   I don't think it's the reviewers fault at all.

GPG originally wanted this game to be multiplayer only.  It's Stardock decision to add single player so more people will buy it and they can charge $40.  You can't blame the reviewers.

May 20, 2009 9:35:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In fact, in Europe it is a full-price game (50€)- we dont even get the (very fair) price reduction from the standard full-fledged game price.

May 20, 2009 9:41:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That's why anyone with a brain in Europe buys stuff online these days

30 euro here:

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/8297120/Demigod/Product.html

May 20, 2009 9:42:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The game is advertised as having action RPG elements.  RPG screams single-player story mode.  Heck in the past, Frogboy even posted about how he was pushing for a great single-player experience for the game.  As I play the game and enjoy the MP-goodness of it, I can't help but thinking how awesome a single player campaign (with better AI) would be.

Why is it so hard for you to understand that some of these reviewers are thinking the same thing?

May 20, 2009 9:43:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Osmosisch,
That's why anyone with a brain in Europe buys stuff online these days

30 euro here:

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/8297120/Demigod/Product.html

Sure, but there are still many people who buy their games in their local brick&mortart store, where chances are good they will be asked for 50€.

May 20, 2009 9:47:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Did all these reviewers also give TeamFortress 2 poor scores? It has no single-player at all, and released with a similar number of maps and classes.

May 20, 2009 10:04:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think this may have been the link the OP was referring to - http://www.gamerankings.com/pc/944424-demigod/index.html

Might be interesting to read what the reviews actually said.

May 20, 2009 10:17:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If it was a multiplayer game at $30, then the reviews were different.  This is a full game at $40, well not quite $50 yet but still at $40, reviewers assume one will get a full single player and multiplayer game.   I don't think it's the reviewers fault at all.

GPG originally wanted this game to be multiplayer only.  It's Stardock decision to add single player so more people will buy it and they can charge $40.  You can't blame the reviewers.

LOL.

Left4Dead was $50 at release and is MP only. 

And do you think GPG would have been okay with Demigod being a $30 game?

May 20, 2009 10:28:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting kryo,
Did all these reviewers also give TeamFortress 2 poor scores? It has no single-player at all, and released with a similar number of maps and classes.

Right, and how much did TF2 cost stand-alone when it was released? Not to mention that it was an even better deal in the Orange Box. I thought that somebody from Stardock would have beter things to do than try to stir up more nerd rage by repeating the same faulty argument.

Many of the linked reviewers are from Europe, and as I said before, Atari does not give gamers here the courtesy of a reduced price the way SD did in the US.

May 20, 2009 10:55:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Com_Raven,

Quoting ferm1nc, reply 1Well, on demigod's behalf......i havent heard of those reviewers....ever. So i am just guessing they are pretty crappy.

Sorry, but if you have never heard of Edge, then I am not sure who is crappy...

And from Edge, a 7/10 is pretty good.

What he said.  Edge has been around something like 15 years and for me it's the only games magazine worth buying, I expect any keen gamer over the age of 20 or so in the UK knows about it.

Edge actually thinks about the scores it's giving out, 5/10 would be an ok game.  7/10 is good!  In the last issue one game got 2/10, most magazines/websites never seem to go under 60% which seems odd.  They review every game just as harshly so they're all having their metacritic etc scores brought down accordingly.

About the price, I pre-ordered from Amazon for £24, might arrive Friday if I'm lucky.  I consider that a fair price for a boxed version (yeah I'm old fashioned) multi-player only game IF the game is well supported.  And obviously from what I've read on here Stardock/GPG will do that.

May 20, 2009 11:11:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't see why people think 70% is bad.

I play this game a few hours every day and i am loving it, BUT i would never rate it over 70% as it is now.

It still is kind of buggy, especially the "klick and nothing happens" bugg is in my opinion game breaking. It is lacking a solid single play experience, I can agree that this is not needed in a game that focus on multi play. But if that is the case it still lacks clan support, chat rooms, a solid working ladder, and there is bots in ranked matches.

I know that a lot of these things is planed and being worked on, but that does not change the fact that they are not in now.

May 20, 2009 11:24:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zubaz,

Quoting RamzaBehoulve, reply 4Those reviewers have almost no impact on the metacritic score.Are you sure?  http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/demigod?q=demigod

Yes, I'm sure, go read here : http://www.metacritic.com/about/scoring.shtml

The ones mentionned by OP have low weights. What's killing Demigod are Gamestop, IGN and 1up. Especially 1up, you really need to have them re-review as promised, it will jump the score to 80 if they change their mark to 75.

May 20, 2009 11:39:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

people say sum stupid shit...

lol

May 20, 2009 11:42:43 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Xan,

Left4Dead was $50 at release and is MP only.

You can play campaign single-player.  Although the focus is on MP.

May 20, 2009 11:54:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You can play campaign single-player.  Although the focus is on MP.

With bots.  Kinda like Demigod...

May 20, 2009 11:54:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

TF2 achievements and multiplayer worked out of the box IIRC.  Left4Dead has a decent single player experience so I am not sure what one of the posters was referring to when they said Left4Dead was MP only.  In fact, it had more SP maps than MP maps. The multiplayer for both games runs smoother because of the server / client model and you get to pick the server.  The better example of an overrated game is Total Empire.  The game did not work for a good number of people out of the box, it was horrendously unoptimized, and the AI couldn't do an amphib invasion.  And yet the critics all loved it because of marketing hype and nostalgia for the franchise.

Demigod is a great game, but there is a strong argument that the game is just now getting out of beta.  Until this week, I would never have recommended the game to a friend because they would have immediately become frustrated and never picked it up again.  I have a bit more patience than my friends, which is the only reason I can play the game.  My favor still does not increment, though.  AI in online play is retarded.  Netsplits are ever present.  And isn't it lovely that I can't execute a killing blow because I get bugged and can't execute an action without moving first.

May 20, 2009 12:10:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't see why people think 70% is bad.

Score inflation. Due to comparisons with school grading scales, historical scoring, and bought reviews, most reviewers effectively operate on a scale of 5-10. Anything below 6 or 7 is generally seen as really bad.

May 20, 2009 12:56:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting kryo,

I think it's mostly just a state of mind.

If you look at the games that Demigod most closely resembles (RTS games or Diablo style games), they all have a fairly robust single player component.

So when many gamers and reviewers sit down with demigod they've been trained that this style of game has not only multiplayer components but also single player.  Hence because others in the past have always included it people expect it and when they expect something and don't get it they're disapointed.

Unreal Tournament bucked the FPS gener to stop including single player aspects in a multiplayer game long long ago -- and there was a out cry then.  TF2 has come long after and at a time were it is now acceptable to ship a FPS game that is purely multiplayer.

Of course there is the issue that TF2's multiplayer never failed at connecting most users to a game or dropped users while in a game...

-Jara

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000766   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.