The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The Maps are shallow and too few

One popular map per team size, the rest are too bad to play...

By on May 18, 2009 4:11:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Prison is horrible because there is only one viable tactic on it - walk together and destroy the enemy in full-team-vs-team fights. From level 1. There is nowhere to run and it's possible to easily lure the creep waves to one point, while keeping all the flags and locking out the weaker team in their base. Since it's basically just a one lane map, split tactics are ineffective.

The bigger maps are typically too big for 3v3, and also suffer from the same problems if you play 4v4 or 5v5 - Brothers is simplistic and bad, so you end up with about 1 map option for every team size.

The most popular and best designed maps right now are still behind the DotA map in gameplay depth - there is very little opportunity for surprise attacks or active use of the fog of war. Comparisons to other popular Team PvP / Strategy games will also be generally unfavorable.

The reason for this lies in the design of the Demigods - how they are scaled compared to the map. They are slow giants, effectively making the lanes very narrow, while at the same time not being able to move around fast enough on bigger maps. 

This is why Cataract is so popular and many players request "fast game speed" setting on bigger ones, or compensate by stacking +movement speed items.

Suggestions:

- The optimal solution would be to rethink that balance and make both the maps more complex and large, and the Demigods faster moving to match that proportion. You will also need to buff up blink distance - as it's already severely underpowered.

- Failing that, at least increasing map veriety by re-designing the unpopular maps to have more gameplay depth (support for a greater veriety of tactics then just team deathmatch at the push points). 

Ex. In cataract you can bypass the side flags to capture the gates, a way to reduce the momentum of a hyper-offensive and momentarily superior opponent that is trying to rush middle.

Perhaps you can just increase all Demigod movement speed by 15% and remove Anklet from the game (effectively giving it to everyone, and allowing other favor items to be used).

+1 Karma | 3 Replies
May 20, 2009 7:17:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I completely disagree. I enjoy Prison because it offers team-fights. I enjoy the other maps because they give you the opportunity to fight alone. I don't think that any of the maps are too big for a 3v3 (even Mandala) - with less players, this just makes keeping control of the whole map even more difficult/frenetic/FUN.

My point is that every map has something different to offer in gameplay experience. If you don't like (read: suck at) some of the maps, then just don't play them. I will gladly play any map with any number of players.

Even a 5v5 Prison could be fun if you just wanted to go NUTS with killing each other.

May 20, 2009 7:23:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The only map I really dislike is Crucible. There's only one way out of your base, so an agressive enemy(or a tower Rook) can make it impossible for you to leave your base for a comeback if you're losing.

May 21, 2009 9:59:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have plenty of team fights on Cataract and other when playing non-newbie teams, often over key flag captures when both teams port in to support.

Prison just leaves no alternative except direct confrontation - it's tactically shallow.

Crucible has imbalances for certain demigods, but it's decent for a 2v2 map - because the format is limited anyway, and it promotes pushing out. It's going to get better when warp stone is buffed enough to cover the gap (which it needs anyway).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000047   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.