The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Four Rook Cheeze

By on May 17, 2009 2:42:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just played a game Vs four Rook. They all chose the light tower ability and it was GG from there. Didn't seem like it is possible to kill that team. Any ideas, or is that bs going to get nerfed?

+1 Karma | 13 Replies
May 17, 2009 2:49:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Depends on the map, what DG's are on your team, and their overall strategy.  I'd direct you to read some of the topics about tower spamming Rooks on the boards; there are some good counters you should pay attention to.  Rooks are great at pushing, but they're slow and lumbering monstrocities that need to keep up momentum.  Lots of DG's have great tools to break that momentum, and if multiple Rooks are on the same lane they're just asking to have their towers taken down by a good AoE ability.

There are plenty of great comboes in 4v4.  You'd probably be pretty miffed if you ran into a 4 Regulus combo and got hit by a four-way snipe.  Pretty nasty stuff, and I'm certain we'll hear about more awe-inspiring team comboes in the weeks to come now that it's feasible to set up larger games.

May 17, 2009 3:24:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You'd probably be pretty miffed if you ran into a 4 Regulus combo and got hit by a four-way snipe

Oh snaps! Good point. Lol.

May 17, 2009 8:41:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

also gotta remember that the rook is very slow, caping all the towers behind them would have made us have to go back.

May 17, 2009 1:15:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Any generals on your team?  A well thought out minion build pretty much owns Rook's towers. You really can't go into a game with a predetermined build, it greatly depends on enemy DGs and their builds IMO.

May 17, 2009 2:20:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can see this being a pain. 4 tower spamming Rooks with speed items have the potential to dominate. They can each grab a lane and block it with towers. If any one of them is being attacked by more than 1 DG, the others have plenty of time to come to their allies aid and spam even more towers.

However, this is part of a much larger problem and that problem is DG stacking. Played a 2v2 game against 2 spit/grasp specced UBs in Prison. They always traveled together with speed items and Spit/Grasp/Grasp/Spit in that order. Even if you ran, the spit would kill you and there is no amount of healing or absorption that will save you from it. And considering Prison has no lanes, they controlled the center of the map until their war score and gold was way higher than ours and proceeded to win.

In another game there was a 3v3 where one team would quickly change all of their DGs to Regulus right before the host hit the start button. Some of us quickly cancelled the ready button when we saw this and called them out on it. They said they were not gonna do it anymore but proceeded to quickly switch their DGs back to Regulus and, again, I cancelled my ready button. After a few back and forths on this, I left the lobby.

DG stacking is going to be one of the major balance issues of this game in the future. Its already gaining traction.

Other than completely reworking the abilities, the two simples solutions to this are:

1. Limit the number of times a DG can be picked, depending on map size.

or

2. Lower the effectiveness of similar stacking abilities when combined. For example, if two UBs spit on you, the second spit deals reduced damage. If you get Penitenced, by Oak, any subsequent Penitences from other Oaks will deal less damage for the duration of Penitence's cool down. This makes it so that it never affects a single Oak but 2 Oaks will see a reduced output. Note: these are just examples and I don't think UB or Oak is OP.

May 17, 2009 4:07:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Axyun,

In another game there was a 3v3 where one team would quickly change all of their DGs to Regulus right before the host hit the start button. Some of us quickly cancelled the ready button when we saw this and called them out on it. They said they were not gonna do it anymore but proceeded to quickly switch their DGs back to Regulus and, again, I cancelled my ready button.

I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll keep this brief. Now, I'm not normally the type to say something like this. Really. I believe in the "This is just a game" mentality very strongly. HOWEVER...to the 3 guys who were pulling this little stunt (trying to "ambush" people with a quick triple-DG switch as described, then doing it again even after promising not to) al I can say is this; You....are....PUSS**S!!!!

May 17, 2009 5:19:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

all i can think of is that a lack of diversity means they will also all share the same weakness. 

Rook is slow and the towers are totally immobile. circumvention seems like a viable tactic. as does piling on. the lack of mobility will make it difficult for the rooks to reinforce each other. you can easily get them 2on1 and just pick them apart like that. even if they teleport, they can't move their towers with them. they'll be weak if they just recently ported in to a zone and haven't set up towers yet. 

and if they actually all just stood together in a mass you just control the other 2/3rds of the map and beat them on war score and gold. 

i honestly don't see a team of 4 of the same DG as being more potent than a mixed team. they amplify a strong point but also amplify their weakness. if you insist on fighting them on their own terms it will be impossible to beat them because of this amplification. but they'll be just as vulnerable if you know the right strategic counter. 

May 17, 2009 6:18:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Axyun,

..... Played a 2v2 game against 2 spit/grasp specced UBs in Prison. They always traveled together with speed items and Spit/Grasp/Grasp/Spit in that order. Even if you ran, the spit would kill you and there is no amount of healing or absorption that will save you from it. And considering Prison has no lanes, they controlled the center of the map until their war score and gold was way higher than ours and proceeded to win...

played against  DarkMessiahDE and matrix7h or cyc - Duplo ?

we tried that yesterday

and yes, stacking spit is kinda hard...

May 17, 2009 6:49:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thank you for all your input. One issue that seems to rear it's ugly head is the idea of going around and capping. Trust me, (not to toot my own horn) I'm pretty good at games and tried everything in my power to stop them. They had the only 2 path ways flooded with towers. I attempted to just hustle through them and wow, never seen my health drop that fast before @_@. However, it did work for a little bit there, then they got the rock kick ability. From there it didn't seem possible to do anything to them. Oh btw, it was on the snake level thingy. : )

May 17, 2009 7:10:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Stacking armor makes a BIG diff against a Tower Rook.

May 17, 2009 7:24:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

it was pretty fun stacking 8 towers each on your health crystal.

not to mention the only item we had was heart of life

the thing was though we had 2 rooks on each side, you guys didnt work as a team at all to break through 1 side. instead you came 1 at a time and died 1 at a time

May 17, 2009 7:42:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've played on a four Rook team and lost pretty badly. Maybe our team was bad, but it didn't seem very effective. None of us could gank, while the other team definitely could by all striking one area together.

May 17, 2009 11:27:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It was against deeznuts69 and soultaker.

Edit: This is a response to DarkMessiahDE. Hit wrong button by accident.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000594   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.