The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Help on portforwarding

By on May 17, 2009 1:59:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm having problems connecting to the multiplayer in Demigod, thus I went to google up on portforwarding and found a few information I could try. I went to www.portfoward.com and well, I found my router in the website. Was overjoyed, so I followed the guide to forward the ports for Demigod.

However, after forwarding the ports in numerous guides, the PortForward checker still claims my 6100 UDP is not open/unreachable. I'm completely at a lost. I disabled all my software firewalls to no avail.

If this helps, my computer connects to my 2Wire router and the 2Wire router connects to the wall using a telephone line. Reading from one of the stickies, does this mean I have no modem and thus I am completely unable to play Demigod on multiplayer at all?

If you’re trying to host/connect to DEMIGOD games and you’re at a University, in a dorm, or apartment where you connect your network cable directly into the wall and have no access to the “institution’s” firewalls/routers, there may not be anything you can do. Opening/Allowing the required ports on your PC does nothing if further upstream (ie. at the network edge) the institution is blocking/dropping the traffic. Even if the specified ports are “un-blocked” by the institution’s administrators, for hosting you would need ALL incoming traffic on said ports sent to you and you alone. (that will never happen)

Quoted from themonk's guide on portforwarding. But it seems I have a router so I won't be overly worried.

And if this is important, I heard my ISP uses a dynamic IP over a static IP. Not very sure what they actually mean, but yeah. I can't be confirmed but I have heard some of my friends saying so.

Can anyone tell me just why is my port still closed/unreachable after trying to forward it for hours? I tried almost everything and if this doesn't work out soon, I might just give a call to my ISP on how to forward this darn thing correctly in the next few days when I'm free.

Lastly, there IS actually one thing I might have done wrongly during my forwarding. In my router's page, there is a choice to choose which computer to forward. I am a little unsure on this one as I have quite a huge list there.

See the 'Choose the computer that will host applications through the firewall' thing? I get a lot of choices from the dropdown list. I get some IP addresses, and my computer's name as well. (this is taken from PortForward's guide to portforwarding my router)

This is what Cisco's Network Magic Pro says about my network.

So my computer's name is AlvinHeng-PC right? So would I be right to say that if I forward my port in my router's page, I choose AlvinHeng-PC as the computer to forward? Heres what I mean:

If choosing AlvinHeng-PC is the correct choice, then what I have done so far is correct, yet my port still doesn't wanna open.

Any help would be appreciated!

My router - 2WireHGV-E

Default guide to portforward on it - http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/2wire/2701HGV-E/default.htm

Thanks for reading ^^

0 Karma | 6 Replies
May 17, 2009 4:46:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

just a quick not before my game starts. (will add more help later)..

Dont trust portforward checker. it is a great guide but it says my ports are closed and i connect fine generally.

EDIT:

my general advice is.

Check that u have a static ip (it doesnt change).

use impulse reactor options.  -- generally the lower the ports the better in my experience, have had housemates computer always have a hard time connecting when it was 6145-6180 ... now put his as mine, and mine even lower and seems to work ok.

Will add more again lol

May 17, 2009 8:58:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Xclaim,
just a quick not before my game starts. (will add more help later)..

Dont trust portforward checker. it is a great guide but it says my ports are closed and i connect fine generally.

EDIT:

my general advice is.

Check that u have a static ip (it doesnt change).

use impulse reactor options.  -- generally the lower the ports the better in my experience, have had housemates computer always have a hard time connecting when it was 6145-6180 ... now put his as mine, and mine even lower and seems to work ok.

Will add more again lol

Seems static IP is impossible as this issue lies with my ISP. Just about everyone uses dynamic IP from this ISP, so changing it would be impossible. So this is saying all players with dynamic IPs can't play multiplayer at all?... *disappointed*

May 17, 2009 9:07:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Static internal IP is what you need ie. 192.168.1.65, this makes your port forwarding on the router always stay linked with your computer.  Often this is found by going to network devices in you router and looking for an option like 'Always use same IP' ect. 

May 17, 2009 9:47:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For static Computer IP

Control Panel>Network Connections> Local area network or your internet> Right Click> Properties> Select internet Protocol> Properties>Use the following IP address (this is on XP)

You will need to take the information from

Run>cmd> ipconfig/all

gives u ur ip, subnet mask etc.

once done, if your net doesnt work, disable and re enable the network and google.

and then if that fails put it back to obtain IP address automatically.

http://portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

May 18, 2009 7:39:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ValrRev,
Static internal IP is what you need ie. 192.168.1.65, this makes your port forwarding on the router always stay linked with your computer.  Often this is found by going to network devices in you router and looking for an option like 'Always use same IP' ect. 

If that is what you mean, if I want to portforward, I have to re-forward everytime I restart the router? Thats not an issue to be able to play Demigod online. However, even after portforwarding and not restarting my router, I am still unable to connect to any multiplayer games at all. Same problem. Can only connect to host occasionally and no one else. I'm forever under 'Attempting to connect' or 'Waiting to connect' on practically everyone.

May 18, 2009 10:47:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey you dont necessarily have to restart your router, but it just makes sure, (mine takes 500 secs to restart..)

Edit: Go throughm y thread https://forums.demigodthegame.com/351356

and look at my screen shots may help

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.