The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

mapmaker?

By on May 17, 2009 12:49:36 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

hi just woundering if theres any plans for a map creator for custom maps in the future?

after it's all working good that is

0 Karma | 11 Replies
May 17, 2009 1:12:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

nope, no plans, many people ask, wish and even demand an editor, but there are no plans at this time to ever release one.

May 17, 2009 3:04:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Viper, let'snot spread misinformation.

You will be happy to know that a map editor that allowed the placement of the citadel, towers, portals, flags, fortresses, and other objects already exists.  It was actually available during the beta and a number of us played around with it.  The 3d editor was backed up by a number of folks, but no longer appears to work with game version past the 2nd beta phase.  However, they stated they wanted to add mod support and if demand was high enough and they had a reasonable amount of purchases, it was totally foreseeable that they would release an updated map importer/editor.  They said they will look at that around when the free dlc drop in Summer.  The problem is the current editor only makes flags, building, and such show up or change locations on maps.  The maps themselves are all 3D and done in 3Dmax.  This means actual map creation will still need to be done in #Dmax and imported for real new maps.

May 17, 2009 9:31:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

can you link this information?

May 17, 2009 9:44:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Even having somethign where you have to make the maps in a 3d editor would be better than nothing. But having an actual map editor would be nice. I want modability like supcom first though.

May 17, 2009 10:07:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There will never be an actual map editor, you will have to make the maps in a 3d app like 3DStudio or Maya. But if that was the whole problem, we'd have tons of maps already. The problem is that noone has the tools for placing buildings, flags, portals, designating walkable areas, creep paths etc. They could release them I'm sure, but i think there is a licensing issue with a component (can't remember the details) they use that prevents them from releasing the tools. I believe it was called Granny3D.

May 17, 2009 10:18:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Not gonna lie; I know I was incredibly disappointed to find out the game offered such limited moddability.  I mean, the game its based on (DotA) was itself a flipping mod.  And the game DotA was based on (WC3) offered more custom maps than just about any game I know of, and that was released several years ago.  It's really a shame.

May 17, 2009 10:57:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, an editor would be nice, don't get me wrong, but just because the game is based off of Dota doesn't mean it should have an editor. 

May 17, 2009 11:41:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No, but IMO if you're not going to give us a SP story mode or anything of the like... if you're going to make a game based entirely around 20-40 minute skirmishes on a limited set of maps, you really ought to give us the capacity to vary our skirmishes as much as possible.  We ought to be able to not only make new maps but new items, new heroes, and new abilities.  I'd also like to see more team configuration options.  Why can't we play 4 player FFA?  Or 3vs3vs3?  Or 2vs2vs2vs2?  Are such configurations really so unnecessary or difficult to incorporate?  Almost every RTS (and this is RTS-like) game allows for this kind of stuff, so I expected it and was sadly disappointed.

Please don't get me wrong; the gameplay here is fantastic, but I still wish they could've given a little more for the money (although they sold the game at a very reasonable price point too).

June 7, 2009 1:03:40 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

yes it is a shame well im off to pre order elemental sounds more like what i like (modding wise that is)

June 7, 2009 1:23:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Squash, I think less it's derivation from DotA and more that it's on the SupCom engine, (which is already quite mod friendly afaik) which is the bigger oddity. I can't see it taking too long to whip up an import/export tool...they would already have an in-house one with all the logic (surely), just a matter of making it usable by the community.

June 11, 2009 12:00:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think a map maker would be great for this game. Should be easy too, the maps are simplistic enough, it's the the rendered 3d backgrounds that make it tricky, but I have an idea for that.

If sometime they release a custom map maker, they could have custom maps just floating in space. Like a pretty stary, nebulous backdrop. Something that looks nice, but itsn't complicated.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.