5v5 With latest patch (NO AI)

By on May 15, 2009 12:28:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sheezwack

Join Date 04/2009
+7

Has anyone pulled off a 5v5 (without any A.I players) with the new patch?

Also how about 4v4 (without any A.I players), have they been steady now?

We bought this game assuming we would be able to play 5v5 (since there are 5 of us that play), so it's going to be a real kick in the nuts if that isn't going to be possible.  Are we ever going to be able to 5v5, or should we just get a refund and play something else?

Locked Post 28 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 15, 2009 12:35:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

...Stop Whining, They are basically rewriting the entire network code and multiplayer system in like 2-3 weeks when it should take like alot longer... 

You people need to be a little more understanding.  don't talk about bad service, because this isnt bad service I've never seen a company working so feverishly to make everyone have an enjoyable experience.

May 15, 2009 12:39:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ,

Has anyone pulled off a 5v5 with the new patch?  

Also how about 4v4, have they been steady now?

We bought this game assuming we would be able to play 5v5 (since there are 5 of us that play), so it's going to be a real kick in the nuts if that isn't going to be possible.  Are we ever going to be able to 5v5, or should we just get a refund and play something else?

I have been playing 5v5 for the last week.  The problem is less about the game as it is finding 10 people who can get together and are willing to try a 5v5.

May 15, 2009 12:50:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jdub121686,
...Stop Whining, They are basically rewriting the entire network code and multiplayer system in like 2-3 weeks when it should take like alot longer... 

You people need to be a little more understanding.  don't talk about bad service, because this isnt bad service I've never seen a company working so feverishly to make everyone have an enjoyable experience.

I'm not whining, I'm asking if anyone has had success.  I never said anything about bad service, all we want is to be able to play the game as was indicated. 

/rant

To be quite honest many of "us people" have been more than understanding - let's face it is has been out for almost a month and we have spent more time in the lobby then in the game itself.  Fine they are doing their best to support the game, but it should have been tested properly to begin with. 

Anyhow, the point of this post is to see what success people have been having, congrats on your successful troll.

/endrant

May 15, 2009 12:52:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Trigeminal,

I have been playing 5v5 for the last week.  The problem is less about the game as it is finding 10 people who can get together and are willing to try a 5v5.

Really you can constistently get into 5v5?  We never have a lack of people it just seems that when the last one or two people join the pings start going yellow (even if the connection list says they are connected) so it doesn't let us start the game.  The annoying thing is all of the exactly same people can work fine in 4v4, so it's not like these people can't connect to eachother.

May 15, 2009 1:00:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I got a 5v5 once in pantheon and multiple times in skirmish. But there were never more than 2 human players, one on each team with all of our allies being AI. Usually the person who wins is the one who can kill his enemy's AI the most.

May 15, 2009 1:05:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting JagerJack,
I got a 5v5 once in pantheon and multiple times in skirmish. But there were never more than 2 human players, one on each team with all of our allies being AI. Usually the person who wins is the one who can kill his enemy's AI the most.

A 5v5 with ai doesnt count. The importance of 5v5's is fluking your way through lobby hell and getting everyone actually into the game.

May 15, 2009 1:10:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sorry I should have clarified 5v5 without AI, without all human players the game is pointless.  Will update the OP

Trigeminal: Was that 5v5 all human players, or were there some A.I in there (In other words you started a 5v5 human only game, and no one dropped for the entire game).

May 15, 2009 1:13:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You can play 5 on 5 online pretty readly IF you can find 10 people who have good connections and high end systems.

But when you're relying on connecting to a bunch of strangers, things get a lot more complex.

May 15, 2009 1:14:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have been playing 4v4 all human in custom games for the last few days.

May 15, 2009 1:14:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Deepjay,

Quoting JagerJack, reply 5I got a 5v5 once in pantheon and multiple times in skirmish. But there were never more than 2 human players, one on each team with all of our allies being AI. Usually the person who wins is the one who can kill his enemy's AI the most.

A 5v5 with ai doesnt count. The importance of 5v5's is fluking your way through lobby hell and getting everyone actually into the game.

Ah, I see your point. Then no, I've never been in a "true" 5v5. The matchmaking system doesn't seem to be capable of making a game above 2v2 without all but 2 of the players being AI. The largest, all human player game I've ever had was a 3v3 in custom.

May 15, 2009 1:20:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
You can play 5 on 5 online pretty readly IF you can find 10 people who have good connections and high end systems.

But when you're relying on connecting to a bunch of strangers, things get a lot more complex.

Yeah I am getting that impression, even if I have everything setup correctly it still relies on everyone else doing the same which we have no control over

May 15, 2009 2:14:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Don't pick pantheon.  You will not get more than 2v2 in pantheon.  Maybe they will fix pantheon soon.

Pick custom games, custom games will only be humans and you can get a 4v4+ game going if you forward your ports.

May 15, 2009 11:12:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jdub121686,

sorry to say, but this is a very bad service, if they are working like hell right now this mean that they made a very deficient game, if they where this Excellent company as you are saying, they would have noticed those huge online problems before they start selling the game, all this work they are having is the reflex of a bad developed game. as i see they just made the game the faster they could, to start selling and get money and forgot about the quality of the final product. so dont come with this "you ppl need to be a little more understanding" the fact is that they made a poor game, and have to fix it now. that's why they are working all that now

May 15, 2009 12:24:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

sorry to say, but this is a very bad service, if they are working like hell right now this mean that they made a very deficient game, if they where this Excellent company as you are saying, they would have noticed those huge online problems before they start selling the game, all this work they are having is the reflex of a bad developed game. as i see they just made the game the faster they could, to start selling and get money and forgot about the quality of the final product. so dont come with this "you ppl need to be a little more understanding" the fact is that they made a poor game, and have to fix it now. that's why they are working all that now

I'm curious, so the game is poor because the network library used for the game couldn't handle thousands and thousands of people with very different types of route and ISP setups? A system that worked quite well during the extended beta for the game I might add.

How many games have you developed?  While I agree it is a total debacle that a major game be released with multiplayer matchmaking problems, I think you forget that until recently, most games did not include it at all, they either bundled GameSpy Arcade or sent users off to use programs like Microsoft's Zone.  

Simply put, the game was well developed.  Gas Powered Games, the developer believed the game was done.  We ran the game through our own QA process along with our beta testers and we (Stardock) believed the game was ready as well and so it was released.

There are a lot of factors that are virtually impossible to test for.  Besides the lack of scaleability in the library we used, there is also the almost unlimited combinations of user ISPs, routers, OSes, etc.  If we had a time machine, we would have done a large open multiplayer beta to the public.  Then we would have learned, for example, how some ISPs in Brazil packet shape peer-to-peer traffic.  

As frustrated as I am personally with the difficulties of the Demigod launch, I think some people fail to realize just how much more complicated getting multiplayer connectivity to work today in games that don't have dedicated servers (i.e. strategy games).  I see people comparing Demigod to Battle.net.  But when Starcraft came out, people didn't have routers at all let alone people with internet sniffing security programs, anti-virus internet monitors, personal firewalls, ISPs blocking ports to reduce bit-torrent traffic, etc.. etc.. Battle.net and other systems have had years to adapt to that as those things have come up. And it's not like we can license Battle.net.  

With the benefit of hindsight, Stardock and Gas Powered Games made a mistake in treating network connectivity the same way one treats licensing a sound library or a 3D library or a video library. We believed (quite obviously wrongly) that you could just plug it in and have the game call Game->ConnectPlayers(a,b,c,d,e,f,g) and voila. And because it worked well in beta, we felt confident to release the game. 

Once it became obvious that that wasn't the case, we have spent the last 2 weeks developing a new system ourselves.

On the console, I might point out, developers don't have to mess with any of this.  Microsoft and Sony provide this already.

I might also point out that Stardock provides a 100% refund to those who can't get multiplayer connectivity to work. So if you really think we're such a bad company, I recommend getting a refund.

May 16, 2009 1:27:08 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting peraltas,

Quoting Jdub121686, reply 1...Stop Whining, They are basically rewriting the entire network code and multiplayer system in like 2-3 weeks when it should take like alot longer... 

Please return your copy for a refund.

Either that, or stop clogging up the forums with how 'deficient' this game is, how 'bad developed' it is, and everything..

Seriously. What is the value of your post for us to all read?

May 16, 2009 3:08:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy, while I do have the utmost respect for Stardock's attempts to fix the game, the fact that it needs to be fixed at launch, let alone remaining in an unplayable state a month after launch, is simply bad. I do not know of another major game release that has had this many problems in recent history. Mind you, the gameplay of demigod? Epic. The problem is, if I want to play with other people, I have to spend 3-4 times as long in the lobby as in game. Good luck fixing it, I'll just practice against the AI and lurk on the forums. /tiphat

May 16, 2009 3:21:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Guardian316,
Frogboy, while I do have the utmost respect for Stardock's attempts to fix the game, the fact that it needs to be fixed at launch, let alone remaining in an unplayable state a month after launch, is simply bad. I do not know of another major game release that has had this many problems in recent history. Mind you, the gameplay of demigod? Epic. The problem is, if I want to play with other people, I have to spend 3-4 times as long in the lobby as in game. Good luck fixing it, I'll just practice against the AI and lurk on the forums. /tiphat

Gears of War 2 comes to mind. The game has been out since November, yet as of February(the last time I played it before giving up) the multiplayer still has more problems than Demigod.

In any case, I haven't been having many problems. As of the latest patch, however, it seems that when someone ragequits half of the time everyone gets disconnected from each other, resulting in a match against the AI.

May 16, 2009 3:42:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting JagerJack,

Gears of War 2 comes to mind. The game has been out since November, yet as of February(the last time I played it before giving up) the multiplayer still has more problems than Demigod.

In any case, I haven't been having many problems. As of the latest patch, however, it seems that when someone ragequits half of the time everyone gets disconnected from each other, resulting in a match against the AI.

Gears of War 2 though isn't mainly a mp game.  The mp problems with demigod wouldn't be a problem if there was a real sp game of some kind(endless games vs ai does not count).

May 16, 2009 10:41:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jdub121686,

MAYBE THEY SHOULDA STRESS TESTED THE DAMN THING BEFORE THEY RELEASED.

Also, note: THE PIRATES DIDN'T MESS WITH THEIR CODE. THEIR CODE IS bad BEFORE THE PIRATES.

Stardock: releasing UNFINISHED games since they found FANBOYism is a protection.

May 16, 2009 10:57:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jdub121686,

look its been a month and it has gotten better but people have the right to be dissapointed at the state of the game ATM.

Think about it you build a car but it does not run.

Now sure any company needs understanding and a little patience. Well IMO a month is enough. From my perspective yes they got it better but am i satisfied in the legnth of time to get it at this point? No I am not. IMO this is how the game should have shipped as is now.

Too many companies push their product out for pc gamers but they take their time in consoles. Why is this? Well in pc gaming you can throw out a patch to fix issues on consoles you can not. We as gamers and i fall into the catigory buy pc games knowen dam well there will be bugs. Not 1 pc game i have bought in the last yr shipped without its share of bugs.

This game is great and specially frog has kept us in the loop of whats going on. Name one company that actually steps to the plate and says the game is broke. Most companies would not do what frog has been doing nor admit to anythen being wrong wth the game. So we need to give credit where it is meritted.

So yea they deserve a little patience from us due to them being honost with us.

May 16, 2009 1:44:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Chaosnaska,

MAYBE THEY SHOULDA STRESS TESTED THE DAMN THING BEFORE THEY RELEASED.

Also, note: THE PIRATES DIDN'T MESS WITH THEIR CODE. THEIR CODE IS bad BEFORE THE PIRATES.

Stardock: releasing UNFINISHED games since they found FANBOYism is a protection.

Dude, you're a cancer. 

May 16, 2009 5:04:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Darken_Rahl,

Too many companies push their product out for pc gamers but they take their time in consoles. Why is this? Well in pc gaming you can throw out a patch to fix issues on consoles you can not. We as gamers and i fall into the catigory buy pc games knowen dam well there will be bugs. Not 1 pc game i have bought in the last yr shipped without its share of bugs.

This game is great and specially frog has kept us in the loop of whats going on. Name one company that actually steps to the plate and says the game is broke. Most companies would not do what frog has been doing nor admit to anythen being wrong wth the game. So we need to give credit where it is meritted.

There is also the fact the consoles actually provide online services while stardock have to do it all themselves

May 16, 2009 6:55:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Also games on consoles receive patches as well. But the difference is that games that go on consoles, must be QA by Sony/MS, before releasing it.

Stardock failed to beta test it on a large scale. They made that "receive a beta code if you preorder" thing that is just plain wrong. They should have test it with players from Europe too. For such a game that is MP based, there is simply no excuse; if they cannot code a proper netcode for it, they should have used Gamespy or Windows Live, like other games have. As simple as that.

My personal belief is that p2p is not good for mp games with 10 people. All RTS games that use p2p are less than 10 players, that's why they work (and they aren't many to begin with). They shouldn't have used p2p, period.

May 17, 2009 4:39:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jdub121686,

LOLOL

http://forums.demigodthegame.com/352201 That is Jdubs post. He shows tons of "understanding". Don't talk about bad service he says. This isn't bad service....

He just took away your ability to have and opinon. This is another example of his understand. I think this community could use less Jdub.

Carwash, bbq, and hot sexy boots.......

That is what we need

May 17, 2009 9:18:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you think Stardock doesn't work hard to fix problems, watch their vid on youtube... they were working 48 hours straight to fix demigod.  One of them was so tired he kept flying a starship around, he probably didn't even remember it in the morning.  The important thing is it is mostly fixed.  Sure, I can't do 5 vs 5 without AI, and sometimes Patheon bugs, and favor points... well they're fixing them soon, but I trust Stardock to keep providing us with service. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000875   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.