The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: Two updates in one day? Yes!

By on May 14, 2009 7:18:31 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I remember when Impulse first came out, some people didn’t like it.  But you know one fringe benefit of Impulse? Very very easy to release updates to lots of people in short amounts of time.

Anyway…

We released an update today and we’re extremely pleased with how it’s gone. We can actually go into the chat area without getting flamed! 

In early blogs, I’ve mentioned that developer Gas Powered Games and publisher Stardock both have multiple sub-teams working on various things in Demigod. 

Or more specifically, this past Monday, I mentioned that there would be a Monday update and a Thursday update.  Well, the Monday update was something of a disaster.  Yea, it worked better than what was up but we were extremely disappointed. Those of you who know me know I was extremely frustrated online about it in the chat area because I had such high hopes for it.  So today we released the update that fully implemented the changes needed to make Monday’s update be what it was supposed to be and that’s why we’re in such good moods.

Anyway, I also had said there would be a Thursday update that would have a lot of good stuff in it.  Well, it’s Thursday and the Impulse team now has their update in.  I think I referred to it as the “end all, be all” update to some people online.  Well, we’re staging it right now.

After this update, the only thing we’ll really have left to do is to turn on the proxy servers for those people who absolutely, positively cannot connect to people along with making the connectivity more robust for people with multiple network cards in their computer (you can do yourself a favor if you get stuck and if you’re like me with 3 network cards and wireless, turn some of them off when playing online until we come up with a good way to bind it).  But those solutions are much easier than what the team has had to do which is major surgery on the network libraries. 

To use an analogy, imaging if a game was released with a new version of a popular 3D engine and it turned out that 3D engine wouldn’t work for people with a popular model of ATI cards and that the only way to get it to work was to largely rewrite the 3D engine in house.  And even though it normally would take months and months to write a 3D engine, you really only have 3 weeks because people are really ticked off.  That’s essentially what we’ve been doing with the MP match making network stuff. 

UPDATE: 

It's here. People seem happy.  

If you have a low end machine and run into any error messages such as "failed to connect to NAT" try this:

download http://draginol.stardock.net/files/impulsereactor-0514.zip 

Unzip it into your Demigod\bin directory (program files\stardock games\demigod\bin).  If you're not having problems don't bother. But we found a Raknet bug that this works around for now on lower end CPU systems.

+912 Karma | 65 Replies
May 14, 2009 7:23:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hopefully Frogboy will soon be able to replace his carrot on a stick with a working game

Is there any word on improving people who play from the same LAN online? I have a buddy sitting next to me and going online it seems we have a hard time connecting to each other (and others) when we try to play together. Seperately everything seems to work great.

May 14, 2009 7:24:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

is w00t a proper adjective for this?

May 14, 2009 7:26:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You guys rock!!!

May 14, 2009 7:28:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting bewareofthecow,
Hopefully Frogboy will soon be able to replace his carrot on a stick with a working game

Is there any word on improving people who play from the same LAN online? I have a buddy sitting next to me and going online it seems we have a hard time connecting to each other (and others) when we try to play together. Seperately everything seems to work great.

Ya, I have two friends and if we wanna play together we pretty much have to do it from each other's houses, when we'd much prefer to just lan at my place since I've got a sweet setup for that.  It's a disappointment and I hope it is fixed... particuarly in time for this weekend and for late june, two lans I got planned.

May 14, 2009 7:33:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Rejoicing over what fanboys?!  The patch out today is f00ked as all the others (more now because even some fanboys are affected and now feeling the pain).  And now you're chanting because you'll have some other majical patch for their netcrap "soon"? 

What color are your cheeleader skirts?

May 14, 2009 7:42:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting No-Joy,
Rejoicing over what fanboys?!  The patch out today is f00ked as all the others (more now because even some fanboys are affected and now feeling the pain).  And now you're chanting because you'll have some other majical patch for their netcrap "soon"? 

Wow you sound like a pleasant person.

I've played a few games today. Flawless. But maybe tonight's update will help you.

May 14, 2009 7:43:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting No-Joy,

Why would someone who doesn't have the game and has fake account info be spending their time here?

May 14, 2009 7:46:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Expleted

May 14, 2009 7:53:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm a bit confused by your analogy. specific video cards not running a 3D engine and an overall broken net-code are not the same thing. Are you saying there are people with specific network cards that are having connection problems?... Or that you simply released an unfinished multiplayer product? Of course it's difficult to address these issues so quickly because the code was simply not optimized at launch because the game was not finished upon release. Great business model.

May 14, 2009 8:08:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting dolynick,

Quoting Azrailx, reply 8

Quoting dolynick,
reply 6
I'm sorry...  But you're pleased with this patch?

My experience with today's first patch is that it's exceedingly difficult to even connect to a game lobby now much less have a successful game.  Even if you do get a game started, invariably someone gets dropped within the first 5 minutes and in some cases there are constant Desync windows popping up making the game completely unplayable.

Perhaps there is some sort of technical achievement you implemented in this patch that you are proud of but that is of little help if multiplayer is almost inaccessible.

Right now, this has got to be the worst multiplayer connectivity I have ever experienced in a game to date, and I've been network gaming since doom 2.

This patch appears to be a functional step backwards.  At least last night it was possible to join and start a game with a little patience.

-dolynick

its not out yet?

plz read first, or else u might appear as a tolling dickhead...

these forums rly need negative karma...

Take your own advise.  He was posting about how happy he was with the first patch.

You ever heard that saying about glass houses and throwing stones?

For what it's worth, I'm not particularly happy about raining on Frogboy's parade but there seems to be a disconnect between his happiness and the reality of trying to play online at the moment.

-dolynick

im glad u read wut i posted carefully too!!!

i know i was only quoting one guy but if u read my post I was obviously responding to several people with that post, one of who thought the patch was already out the other who didnt bother to know the difference between the two patches.

notice how i said "read first or respond with logic"

the two people i was addresssing were both guilty of one of those things, you seem to be guilty of both!

congrats gold star, now look at the kitten cups and mellow

May 14, 2009 8:22:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

sweet!  

May 14, 2009 8:31:42 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Captain Pat

I'm a bit confused by your analogy. specific video cards not running a 3D engine and an overall broken net-code are not the same thing. Are you saying there are people with specific network cards that are having connection problems?... Or that you simply released an unfinished multiplayer product? Of course it's difficult to address these issues so quickly because the code was simply not optimized at launch because the game was not finished upon release. Great business model.

Don't read too much into the analogy. He's saying that they're doing something very hard, in full view of the public, with a very limited time window

As far as releasing a broken game: They fixed every problem they were aware of, and every problem they could predict.  It's so good that, even while it's been "broken" they've got it working for+90% of the people who are using it. Rather than piss on Stardock, I'd rather praise their transparency and hard work, in hopes that other companies will follow their lead in post-release problem fixing.

May 14, 2009 8:41:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Azrailx,

im glad u read wut i posted carefully too!!!

i know i was only quoting one guy but if u read my post I was obviously responding to several people with that post, one of who thought the patch was already out the other who didnt bother to know the difference between the two patches.

notice how i said "read first or respond with logic"

the two people i was addresssing were both guilty of one of those things, you seem to be guilty of both!

congrats gold star, now look at the kitten cups and mellow

Perhaps next time then you should quote the people you are referring to instead of someone else.  You know, like a clear, concise and logical response should?  Why would you be surprised when I responded with a little annoyance to a seemingly non-sensical response to my own post?

For the record, I want this game fixed as much as everybody else.  I am, however, not impressed with a patch that is seemingly a step backwards.  If the 2nd patch corrects this then great.  I will happily rejoice with Frogboy in that case.  Unfortunately though, and until that happens, the general sentiment in the game lobbies I've even managed to connect to are not so happy with today's first patch.

-dolynick

May 14, 2009 8:58:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Istari,

Quoting No-Joy, reply 7Rejoicing over what fanboys?!  The patch out today is f00ked as all the others (more now because even some fanboys are affected and now feeling the pain).  And now you're chanting because you'll have some other majical patch for their netcrap "soon"? 

Why would someone who doesn't have the game and has fake account info be spending their time here?

Don't feed the trolls!

May 14, 2009 9:24:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting PunningPundit,

even while it's been "broken" they've got it working for+90% of the people who are using it.

So the chances of getting a 3v3 going are .9^6 = 53%.  That actually seems to match my experience.  I haven't tried the new patch yet, but I have high hopes!  Each time I read a journal entry I get the expectation that it is finally all working. . . then I read the comments.

May 14, 2009 9:30:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm prepared to cross-fingers and hope for the best. I really like the game and can't wait to play online. It has been frustrating for everyone but we've made it this far so lets take another plunge - maybe we'll strike gold this time.

May 14, 2009 9:40:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm a bit confused by your analogy. specific video cards not running a 3D engine and an overall broken net-code are not the same thing. Are you saying there are people with specific network cards that are having connection problems?... Or that you simply released an unfinished multiplayer product? Of course it's difficult to address these issues so quickly because the code was simply not optimized at launch because the game was not finished upon release. Great business model.

If you feel that way, then please take advantage of Stardock's full refund policy.

May 14, 2009 9:41:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You're pleased with today's patch? It's made the game more unplayable for me! Pantheon is now completely broken, and custom games are a pain to join!

May 14, 2009 9:48:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I'm a bit confused by your analogy. specific video cards not running a 3D engine and an overall broken net-code are not the same thing. Are you saying there are people with specific network cards that are having connection problems?... Or that you simply released an unfinished multiplayer product? Of course it's difficult to address these issues so quickly because the code was simply not optimized at launch because the game was not finished upon release. Great business model.

If you feel that way, then please take advantage of Stardock's full refund policy.

Told off by the CEO...

May 14, 2009 9:52:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Don't think he's CEO... and any ETA on the patch today?

nvm seems like their uploading patch atm

May 14, 2009 9:56:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Update live!  Go get it!!!

May 14, 2009 9:56:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i was talking about both of them pew pew, u could tell, but i admit it was confusing...

May 14, 2009 9:57:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So, I updated the game today - history talks about additional connectivity improvements and optimisations etc - but when I try to play multiplayer, it tells me I need to update again. But there's no option to do so in Impulse, even after I refresh. Do I need to reinstall or is this an Impulse issue?

May 14, 2009 9:58:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

WOOT!

so another all nighter ahead then....

cheers frogboy and all of stardock!

May 14, 2009 9:59:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting StiL ReY,
Don't think he's CEO... and any ETA on the patch today?

nvm seems like their uploading patch atm

Frogboy

Member No. 1

=P

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001422   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.