The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: Scheduled Games = the eVite of death

By on May 13, 2009 7:04:34 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

One of the things we want to really expand on in Demigod is the notion of multiplayer options.

As many of you know, one of the things that absolutely kills MP games in the long-run is the ability to get matches going with people of equal skill level.

The solution to this is to create a system that works inside and outside the game for setting up scheduled games.  Today, the web team submitted a proposal to provide an iPhone page to support this as well.

Here’s how it will work:

A user comes to the Demigod website and in the Pantheon area clicks on a future tab called “Schedule a Game”.  On that tab, the person can either create a game or participate in a scheduled game.

If you choose to create a scheduled game, you would then pick:

1. Name of your game
  2. What time
  3. Number of players
  4. Map
  5. Game Mode
  6. Minimum XP level
  7. Maximum XP level
  8. Maximum number of No Shows allowed
  9. Maximum number of disconnected allowed

When a user tries to join it, if they aren’t on the host’s “ban list” (which will be implemented this Spring), they are then added to the list.  The game creator can reject people for their game if they want.

At the scheduled time, players load up Demigod, choose “Scheduled Game” and it shows all the games that they’ve committed to.   At the scheduled time, they choose “Fight” and off they go.  There will be a 5 minute window for players to get into the game. After 5 minutes, if a player doesn’t show they get a “no show” stat added to their account.

So when?

I’m afraid to give estimates other than “sooner rather than later”.  It will probably be part of the Demigod: Clan Wars DLC.

+912 Karma | 51 Replies
May 14, 2009 6:41:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ban list is great.

I dont want to play with quitters.

K

May 14, 2009 8:18:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't think it is a very good idea.

I would rather see Dev time spent on more interesting game modes :

Capture the Flag

Hold the Artifact

Free For All

King of the Hill

Things like that. There may be a small percentage of the gaming community who would benefit from this, but I think people would prefer just having arranged teams in Pantheon and stuff.

May 14, 2009 9:00:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting GuyNice,

Quoting RegnorVex,
reply 9
I love this game and most of the things that you guys do, but this idea is really loopy and needs to be retired. Adding a way for players to segregate the community is just such a bad idea for a thousand reasons, including that you're feeding griefers a great new tool. News that an official "ban list" is coming this Fall makes me shake my head and wonder why you aren't focusing instead on making the game more compelling to *play* rather than creating ways for people to keep others from playing. There are a thousand reasons why players don't show or disconnect. Arming your playerbase (and griefers) with the ability to arbitrarily assume the reasons for these behaviors is not only a dangerous thing to do, it's a huge distraction from what you could be doing instead.

You overstate the problems created by the unreliable online community and you overstate your ability to address them. Trust me, this is going to wind up someday going into the category of "What were they thinking"?

I have to support this. Hope you guys will listen to this feedback. Well said Regnor.

+1.

This idea is nuts.

And scheduled gaming is not "the" solution to the problem of having people play others who are at a similar skill level. A better solution is having a ladder mechanic of some kind. Have people play who have similar win ratios or something like that.

May 14, 2009 9:03:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jaradakar,
I have to agree with many of the other posters and have to ask the design team, why? 

Why impliment this feature? Who is your target audience for this feature?  What percentage of users do you think will use this?

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I think other match making features allowing a team to be formed up prior and a system similar to Microsoft's True Skill to match up your team with another team of equal skill (and good connection) has a greater desiger/need.

Sure right now if I go online I'm presented with only being able to play games with the user base that is also online at the same time I am.  On one hand this may limit the quality of my opponents, but assuming the game is successful enough and the user base large enough, than this pool should be sufficient.

In short I don't see the value of this feature, what problem it really sloves and think the development team should use it's resources in other ways. 

-Jara

PS: (The only problem I think this solves is if I was say in the top 1% of the player base, say for example I was the best demigod player in the world and the game was having trouble finding a suitable match.  Then this system in theory could try to match me up with someone even if they're not available online at the moment.  But, given I'm not online and time zone diffrences finding a suitable time that is actually possible due to real life commitments could be an issue.  In the end, this feature does not really solve those issues)

PPS: I don't want to have game commitments or scheduled games, if I wanted that I'd play World of Warcraft and go raiding.

+1 to this to.

I am very, very surprised if the majority of players, like me, don't find "scheduling" games to be very feasible or even a pleasant prospect when feasible.

May 14, 2009 9:46:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting KTV,
Ban list is great.

I dont want to play with quitters.

K

Ban List will be one of the most important features to come to this game... and if it does not I am sure people will create their own addon, as was done for DOTA. Quitters (rage quitters or otherwise) RUIN games. No one should be joining if they can't finish, this was probably one of the most frustrating things in Dota and it has not been happening to much in DG yet but it will. When people start randomly quitting/rage quitting ur games I assure, u will be happy to have that nice Ban button.

Also, to the person that said this segments the community... it does not it simply gives you a way to not play with people who you know will just quit a game when times get tough and waste 30 minutes of ur time.

May 14, 2009 10:06:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

the fact they are working on this for iPhones is abit worrisome to myself, seriously what percentage of demigod players even have an iPhone? 1%? less? Seriously resources (time, money, ideas) are being spent on this?

focus on adding new in game content or adding some story to the single player aspect.  this is my first negative critical assessment of something stardock has proposed, I'm a bit shocked I'm writing this...

true... clan support is needed, but this iphone stuff just seems like a gimmicky addon.

May 14, 2009 10:41:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't think this idea is as bad as people are saying it is.  On weekdays, I only have about an hour of free time for games.  Having a game scheduled instead of having to wait for a game would be an advantage. 

Also keep in mind that the "resources" that would be put on this (stardock) would probably be different than the reseourses use to add features to the game (GPG).

May 14, 2009 11:29:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

the fact they are working on this for iPhones is abit worrisome to myself, seriously what percentage of demigod players even have an iPhone? 1%? less? Seriously resources (time, money, ideas) are being spent on this?
  Unless they're idiots, they're actually designing a mobile 'copy' of the website that can be used from any mobile phone.  That said, as a small side project it's probably not more than a few hours of one persons time.

May 14, 2009 12:18:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

or vent lol?

May 14, 2009 12:25:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jaradakar,
I have to agree with many of the other posters and have to ask the design team, why? 

Why impliment this feature? Who is your target audience for this feature?  What percentage of users do you think will use this?

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I think other match making features allowing a team to be formed up prior and a system similar to Microsoft's True Skill to match up your team with another team of equal skill (and good connection) has a greater desiger/need.

Sure right now if I go online I'm presented with only being able to play games with the user base that is also online at the same time I am.  On one hand this may limit the quality of my opponents, but assuming the game is successful enough and the user base large enough, than this pool should be sufficient.

In short I don't see the value of this feature, what problem it really sloves and think the development team should use it's resources in other ways. 

-Jara

PS: (The only problem I think this solves is if I was say in the top 1% of the player base, say for example I was the best demigod player in the world and the game was having trouble finding a suitable match.  Then this system in theory could try to match me up with someone even if they're not available online at the moment.  But, given I'm not online and time zone diffrences finding a suitable time that is actually possible due to real life commitments could be an issue.  In the end, this feature does not really solve those issues)

PPS: I don't want to have game commitments or scheduled games, if I wanted that I'd play World of Warcraft and go raiding.

Jaradakar where were you in beta when I argued for True skill

May 14, 2009 12:46:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@HorseRadish

I was in the beta but only towards the very very end.  So I missed that argument.

May 14, 2009 1:04:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

sounds like alot of ppl are looking at this and expecting matchmatching.  Look at it this way, competitive players want to play competitive players, not pubs (that is if they are serious and want to get better).  this feature makes it easier for them to set up a scrim, (which is ALOT harder than it seems), therefore allowing them to scrim more frequently and taking them out of the public player pool, if not completely then for a good portion of the time.  There just needs to be something that accommodates the beginner level, grouping them together so they dont become feeders in a middle tier game and ruin it.

May 14, 2009 1:26:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting silencer2000,

Quoting Jaradakar, reply 24

I can orgainze my own friends to come play, it's called pick up a phone and call or shoot an email off.  We don't need a feature added to the game to do this.  I think the SD is heading off in the wrong direction with this feature.

I understand that is a better way of getting friends together to play, however please do understand there are players out there like me who are casual gamers and most of our friends are met through forums and within DG, who are usually staying faraway from us. It is not feasible for us to just call or email as it cost alot (overseas calls) or it takes too much time organizing it (waiting and replying emails, some may make it some might not etc.).

With this new feature it allow us casual gamers to actually plan our gaming times more efficiently, so instead of getting into DG at our scarce free time and waiting aimlessly in custom game lobby hoping for someone to join, we can actually just set a schedule and go straight into the game at the scheduled time. So I don't think this is a wrong direction at all, in fact I'm happy SD actually support casual gamers =D

You don't need to email or overseas calls.  Many gaming forums have their own vent server.  All you need is an internet connection and a mic.

May 14, 2009 1:33:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Insanetitan,
I don't think this idea is as bad as people are saying it is.  On weekdays, I only have about an hour of free time for games.  Having a game scheduled instead of having to wait for a game would be an advantage. 

Also keep in mind that the "resources" that would be put on this (stardock) would probably be different than the reseourses use to add features to the game (GPG).

Assuming demigod hits critical mass...

-------------------------------------------------------------

Scenario #1 (Teams & Auto matching w/Trueskill)

You log on, check to see which friends you have online and which ones that are not in a game already. 

Then you group up into a team, queue up to find people to play against.

Search for opponnets feature then matches you up via your teams True Skill to another team that is also online looking for a match.  After a bit of searching, you're in a game.  Depending on who's online will determine how long the search takes and how accurate of a match up (skill wise).

--------------------------------------------------------------

Scenario #2 (Clans & eVite of Death)

Prior to when you wanted to play you send out an evite to your friends.  Some accept others can't make that time and suggest a new time.  Some can't make the new time so you pick and choose who wins out.  You then send an evite out to more people and finally get... what 5 people?  Or seeing as there is not automatching for teams, 5 people is not good enough you have to find and invite 10 people. 

Okay lets say there is also Clan/community forming tools.  You've joined a clan and have 10+ people in your clan.  Lets also say the tools support forming a team with clan members.  So you have your 5 friends and have set up a time that you can all play. 

Now lets also assume that the Clan system has a method that lets you challenge another clan to a game.  So you send out a 5v5 challenge to another clan at say 8:00pm PST.  They can either respond by accepting, decline or suggesting a new time/day.

Lets assume some back and forth happens and after much negotiation (multiple time changes, multiple day changes, etc) a final match day/time is setup.

Outcome A

Day of the match -- hopefully everyone shows up and it's a good time.

Outcome B

Day of the match -- Someone forgets, something comes up, etc and not everyone shows.  Back to the drawing board for trying to sync up 10 peoples lives.

Scenario #1

Pros

• Would match you based on your teams skill (via a method similar to MS True Skill).
  • Easy/quick!
    • Invite friends to form a team.
    • Search for opponnets.
  • Does not require any pre-planning
    • You can easily plan if you wanted to via tools everyone already has (email, phone, etc) you could plan outside the game.

Cons

• Fails if the game does not reach critical mass and there are not enough people online playing.
  • Can only draw from the pool of players online at the moment.
  • Dependent on a robust friends list.
    • Need easy ways to add people from random matches to your friends list.
    • Need easy ways to add previously played people to your friends list.
    • Need ways to to invite friends to jump right into team lobbies.

Scenario #2

Pros

• If the community is small (Demigod commercialy unsuccessful?) and it never hits critical mass, Scenario #2 might have some advantages in that if you can't just log on and find people to play against it might still let you get a game going.
  • It can prevent the scenario where you logg on and all you friends are already in a game and if you have really limited time it can help avoid this case (of course my argument is that's when you should just play single player skirmish or pantheon).
  • More accurate skill match ups.
    • Assuming (and this is a BIG assumption) that this schedualing feature has a way to try to schedule against unkown random opponnets.
  • If you're in a low population time zone (or low amount of Demigod players) it could help you find more games.

Cons

• Have to spend lots of time negotiating a play time.
  • Requires you to plan.
  • Requires you to join a clan.
  • Might never be able to find acceptable play times with people of the correct skill.
  • Possible that the match making of this system does not take skill into effect at all.
  • Higher change that match might not actually happen.

Seeing how every developers goal should be striving to reach critical mass (Demigod is still in the top 10 selling list) and I can only hope that once connectivity is rock solid and advertising starts up again this will only increase...

A developers goal is to defeat the major cons to Scenario #1.  Scenario #1 also has far less cons than Scenario #2 and imo far outweighs implimenting Scenario #2.

To me, Scenario #2 feels cluncky and antiquated.  It's trying really hard to make more use of Custom games, which IMO are old school and antiquated to begin with.  Play DoW2 or any Xbox MP game.  Match making should be automated and based on a skill factor (True Skill for example).  The negotiation phase for Scenario #2 is time consuming and due to peoples lives, different time zones I can see it being a real nightmare.  It's also more work on the users part.  Users should not have to work, things should be easy, quick and intuitive and automated for the user.

Scenario #1 takes away most of the negotiation factor due to the assumption that people who are online right now, want to play the game and most likely have time to do so.

-Jara

PS: Custom games has it's place:

• Playing games with all friends (friends Vs friends), I.E. you know everyone in the match. 
  • Or playing at a LAN party is another great example where Custom games is needed.
  • Practice matches for clans/guilds/groups.

But for internet play, custom games should not be relied on much, if at all.  The only reason people are using it now is due to lack of any other way to group up and play team games with your friends.

PPS: To me, team based auto match making based on team skill should come first.  After we have that, if the developers wanted to add additional support that allowed/support for scheduled match making (I.E. my team composed of 5 friends Vs random opponnets of equal skill at a future date/time), I'd be ALL for it.

May 14, 2009 2:07:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't really see the point of implementing this.  How does it match players of equal skill level together?  You should be equally likely to find someone of equal skill level using this method than using the custom game or random assignment.  I mean, sure, you could research the players that are joining your match, but just how much time are you really willing to spend when the match itself lasts only twenty-five minutes or so?

And I just don't see this method catching on because people don't want to have to be forced to adhere to some pre-planned gaming schedule.  I could see people making clan tournaments using this feature, but it's not really an improvement in that case.  There's nothing they couldn't do with a custom game and a password.

Now even if I don't like it, I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with adding new features, but as someone else mentioned, we are kind of splintering the community.  If we have one fourth of the players using skirmish, one fourth using pantheon, one fourth using custom game, and one fourth using the preplanned game, then I think we could very easily run into a situation where everyone feels like they can't find enough players to play with because they've only got one fourth of the community available.

So if you're going to implement something like this, I feel like all games should be accessible through the custom games list.  You should be able to see skirmish or pantheon games forming and join them.  If a scheduled game doesn't get enough players, it could show up on the custom game list at the scheduled time allowing random players to join.  Some kind of merge like this might keep the community feeling active.

May 14, 2009 3:35:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hate to say it, but this sounds rather unworkable.  I like the idea of a host putting up a game scheduled for a certain time, so that people can plan to attend it, but making it such that people will have to schedule to join it as well is rather hard to maintain. 

I think what would make significantly more sense, is for you to add a filter in the custom games screen: Show Scheduled Games

The host chooses game options as normal when they schedule a game, including a time.  When you are at the custom games screen and see the scheduled games, they would have a value in the 'time' column, as well as a number of people who have RSVP'd.

To RSVP means that you have shown an intent to join the game at that time.  This sets up a reminder of some kind for the player via impulse, but does not restrict the number of other users who can also RSVP.  That means you can over book a game, and then take people as they come.

Note that you would still be able to password protect a game, if you wanted to schedule a scrim.

The main differences in my approach:

1) You are not at the mercy of players who do not show up

2) It is better integrated into the existing system

3) Short term scheduling easily allows for bigger games.

That is to say, if you are perusing custom games, and notice a game with 9 RSVP's is starting in 10 minutes, you can weigh that option against playing a random game.

Lastly, I'm going to say that I do not believe that this system will solve the skill mismatch problem.  That problem looks roughly like:

• Players have no feedback about the quality of a player, or of the players in a game when they join it.
  • A player doing poorly in a game, and dying a lot, will actually increase the strength of the opponent, instead of just causing them to contribute less.
  • Players are also often unable to accurately judge their own skills.
  • A rather hidden thing, but since players often enjoy winning for its own sake, they will often prefer playing against weaker opponents, either by stacking the odds against the opponent (pre-selected teams vs randoms) or by 'slumming' any system defined delimiters (that is, if you have a 'noobness' qualifier to a game, people will not join it).

These are all the problems related to the skill mismatch meta-problem.  I do not think this feature will solve any of these.  Some random thoughts on fixing these issues:

1. Have join requirements attacheable to a game.  Win%, minimum games, total play time, total Favor earned
  2. Some sort of visible rating.  When you join a random game, if a players win % or something was shown in an obvious place, teams could be balanced, people of inappropriate skill could be kicked, etc.  Having to go to html to see it is not good enough
  3. Tie favor gains or pantheon gains or something to the requirements of a game.  If everyone in a game gets more favor when they play in a "Greater than 50%" game, they will perhaps seek out these higher stake games for the rewards they bring.  Something like this for pantheon would let high quality players have a greater effect on the overall tournament, for instance.
  4. Allow for 'noob friendly' settings to a game: Players get less gold for killing other players, or player kill gold somehow only gets spent towards citadel upgrades, etc etc.

Sorry for the long post, but there you have it.

May 15, 2009 2:13:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Scheduled games is not really that useful of an idea and therefore should not be given priority IMO. 

Especially when basic barebones features of the MP options are not there.

Ie:  Before any clan support gets put in, there should be an option to choose 1vs1, 2vs2, 3vs3, or 4vs4 Random Teams before starting a match in the Pantheon.  Wanting to play 4vs4 and then being matched in 2vs2 game is no fun at all.  DG would be much better if that was fixed first before working on much less useful things like 'scheduled games'.

Additionally, the ability to make an Arranged Team search for other Arranged Teams in real-time is another thing that is essential and far more useful than 'scheduled games'.    

May 16, 2009 2:51:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This isn't going to work very well unless AI is removes and the ladder system is fixed. Right now the majority of the "top" rated players according to your system play vs bots all day which if you know what you're doing you can win games in under 3 minutes making it pretty easy to mass game points.

Putting a 'record' of every game not only makes people ragequit more, but it promotes types of abuse such as people intentionally kicking me from panthion games so that they dont have to get rickrolled by me.

May 17, 2009 5:14:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jaradakar,

Quoting Insanetitan, reply 7I don't think this idea is as bad as people are saying it is.  On weekdays, I only have about an hour of free time for games.  Having a game scheduled instead of having to wait for a game would be an advantage. 

Assuming demigod hits critical mass...

Scenario #1 (Teams & Auto matching w/Trueskill)

You log on, check to see which friends you have online and which ones that are not in a game already. 

Then you group up into a team, queue up to find people to play against.

Search for opponnets feature then matches you up via your teams True Skill to another team that is also online looking for a match.  After a bit of searching, you're in a game.  Depending on who's online will determine how long the search takes and how accurate of a match up (skill wise).

Scenario #2 (Clans & eVite of Death)

Prior to when you wanted to play you send out an evite to your friends.  Some accept others can't make that time and suggest a new time.  Some can't make the new time so you pick and choose who wins out.  You then send an evite out to more people and finally get... what 5 people?  Or seeing as there is not automatching for teams, 5 people is not good enough you have to find and invite 10 people. 

Okay lets say there is also Clan/community forming tools.  You've joined a clan and have 10+ people in your clan.  Lets also say the tools support forming a team with clan members.  So you have your 5 friends and have set up a time that you can all play. 

Now lets also assume that the Clan system has a method that lets you challenge another clan to a game.  So you send out a 5v5 challenge to another clan at say 8:00pm PST.  They can either respond by accepting, decline or suggesting a new time/day.

Lets assume some back and forth happens and after much negotiation (multiple time changes, multiple day changes, etc) a final match day/time is setup.

Outcome A

Day of the match -- hopefully everyone shows up and it's a good time.

Outcome B

Day of the match -- Someone forgets, something comes up, etc and not everyone shows.  Back to the drawing board for trying to sync up 10 peoples lives.

Scenario #1

Pros

Would match you based on your teams skill (via a method similar to MS True Skill).
Easy/quick!

Invite friends to form a team.
Search for opponnets.

Does not require any pre-planning

You can easily plan if you wanted to via tools everyone already has (email, phone, etc) you could plan outside the game.

Cons

Fails if the game does not reach critical mass and there are not enough people online playing.
Can only draw from the pool of players online at the moment.
Dependent on a robust friends list.

Need easy ways to add people from random matches to your friends list.
Need easy ways to add previously played people to your friends list.
Need ways to to invite friends to jump right into team lobbies.

Scenario #2

Pros

If the community is small (Demigod commercialy unsuccessful?) and it never hits critical mass, Scenario #2 might have some advantages in that if you can't just log on and find people to play against it might still let you get a game going.
It can prevent the scenario where you logg on and all you friends are already in a game and if you have really limited time it can help avoid this case (of course my argument is that's when you should just play single player skirmish or pantheon).
More accurate skill match ups.

Assuming (and this is a BIG assumption) that this schedualing feature has a way to try to schedule against unkown random opponnets.

If you're in a low population time zone (or low amount of Demigod players) it could help you find more games.

Cons

Have to spend lots of time negotiating a play time.
Requires you to plan.
Requires you to join a clan.
Might never be able to find acceptable play times with people of the correct skill.
Possible that the match making of this system does not take skill into effect at all.
Higher change that match might not actually happen.

Seeing how every developers goal should be striving to reach critical mass (Demigod is still in the top 10 selling list) and I can only hope that once connectivity is rock solid and advertising starts up again this will only increase...

A developers goal is to defeat the major cons to Scenario #1.  Scenario #1 also has far less cons than Scenario #2 and imo far outweighs implimenting Scenario #2.

To me, Scenario #2 feels cluncky and antiquated.  It's trying really hard to make more use of Custom games, which IMO are old school and antiquated to begin with.  Play DoW2 or any Xbox MP game.  Match making should be automated and based on a skill factor (True Skill for example).  The negotiation phase for Scenario #2 is time consuming and due to peoples lives, different time zones I can see it being a real nightmare.  It's also more work on the users part.  Users should not have to work, things should be easy, quick and intuitive and automated for the user.

Scenario #1 takes away most of the negotiation factor due to the assumption that people who are online right now, want to play the game and most likely have time to do so.

-Jara

PS: Custom games has it's place:

Playing games with all friends (friends Vs friends), I.E. you know everyone in the match. 

Or playing at a LAN party is another great example where Custom games is needed.
Practice matches for clans/guilds/groups.

But for internet play, custom games should not be relied on much, if at all.  The only reason people are using it now is due to lack of any other way to group up and play team games with your friends.

PPS: To me, team based auto match making based on team skill should come first.  After we have that, if the developers wanted to add additional support that allowed/support for scheduled match making (I.E. my team composed of 5 friends Vs random opponnets of equal skill at a future date/time), I'd be ALL for it.

QFT

What we need is a solid team-automatch function with a ladder for 2v2 3v3 and maybe 4v4 or 5v5 if there are enough players around.

So I can get my 2 friends invite them to my team and hit the search game button and get a decent game with another team  of about equal skill level at any time.

This should have the highest priority after connectivity fixes!

May 17, 2009 5:49:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yah simple automatch with arranged teams is what we really need, I never heard of scheduled games before, maybe its common im mmorpgs (never played) but it sounds tedious compared to AT automatch. Instead of picking all those parameters and choosing strangers I just want to play with guys I know vs other guys who know each other. For playing with randoms there is skirmish aka random team automatch.

May 17, 2009 6:46:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I read through the whole post and the most importing sentence must have been something like:

Why do you implement stuff that keeps user from playing the game when the biggest wish of everyone is to be able to play the game?

There are alot of interesting points in this thread. I wonder what Frogboy's opinion is.

May 20, 2009 3:28:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't understand why he posts provocative messages and then doesn't come back in to discuss the issues or at least acknowledge the points made and provide agree-to-disagree closure. Instead we're left feeling like it's a monologue rather than a dialog and wondering if we were heard. I know he's busy as hell, and I suppose it's better that he's posting and not participating further rather than not posting at all, but it's a shame that he can't find the time to at least acknowledge points made and offer his counter-rationales.

May 20, 2009 7:20:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I personally think is a monologue.

Because in his jurnals that followed this one, he keeps saying about future scheduled games and clan wars and all, like he isn't aware of all the negative feedback he got on this thread or the other one, about clans.

May 20, 2009 7:57:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting RegnorVex,
I love this game and most of the things that you guys do, but this idea is really loopy and needs to be retired. Adding a way for players to segregate the community is just such a bad idea for a thousand reasons, including that you're feeding griefers a great new tool. News that an official "ban list" is coming this Fall makes me shake my head and wonder why you aren't focusing instead on making the game more compelling to *play* rather than creating ways for people to keep others from playing. There are a thousand reasons why players don't show or disconnect. Arming your playerbase (and griefers) with the ability to arbitrarily assume the reasons for these behaviors is not only a dangerous thing to do, it's a huge distraction from what you could be doing instead.

You overstate the problems created by the unreliable online community and you overstate your ability to address them. Trust me, this is going to wind up someday going into the category of "What were they thinking"?

I agree with the first half of your agrument, but I believe banlist is a good move.

June 2, 2009 8:01:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't think this is a good idea, for all of the reasons already listed above.

Automatic matchmaking has been around for quite a while, and for good reason: it works. There is no need to reinvent the wheel.

Each player should have a skill rating which is based on their record, much like TrueSkill on Xbox Live. Other games have implemented similar systems. Warcraft III comes to mind, and remember, Battle.net is free.

I have no desire to deal with scheduling matches. I want to log in, click "Skirmish," and be off and playing with players close to my skill level in a few minutes. This is not revolutionary. Warcraft III did this when it came out seven years ago. Honestly, automatic matchmaking should be par for the course for online multiplayer these days.

I adore Demigod, but the mechanics of online play leave much to be desired. In addition to solving the connection issues, I think that these features would really help matchmaking go more smoothly:

1) There should to be a global XP system. XP is awarded for wins and deducted for losses. The larger the discrepancy between the two teams combined XP, the more XP should be awarded/deducted from each team. Additionally, to account for individual performance when assigning XP, each players K/D spread should affect how much XP they are awarded/deducted. There should be an abstraction to represent each players XP publicly, be it a simple number-based rank system like Warcraft III, or something more creative like the military rank structure Halo uses. The matchmaking system would use rank to match players with similar skill levels together.

2) There should to be a way for a team to concede victory. If a majority of the human players on a team concede (i.e. for 2 or 3 humans on a team, thats 2 players, and for 4 and 5 humans on a team, thats 3 players) then the game is over and the opposing team is considered the victor, and XP points are awarded normally. If a player quits before his team has conceded, even if his team is winning, he loses a small but not insignificant amount of XP. Teams playing with one or more AIs are awarded more XP if they win and lose less XP if they concede or lose.

Note that neither of these changes require the player to put in any additional effort to find a match.

I realize these changes are a lot of work for the developers, but the bottom line is, Demigod effectively an online-only game. If it's difficult or time-consuming for players to jump in and play, people won't be playing it for long. That would be a real shame too, because Demigod is one of the best games I've played in a while, and I hate to see it crippled like it is right now just because finding games is so difficult. I applaud your efforts in fixing the connection issues so far, but this scheduling system is definitely not the way to solve the matchmaking problem.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000968   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.