The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

This is the only correct way to play unclean beast.

By on May 12, 2009 5:54:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As far as I'm concerned, there is only one correct way to play Unclean Beast.

Spit and run. Spit and run.

I see people going for armor/hp items, maxing out ooze, trying to melee other demigods at full heath, etc.

All wrong man. All wrong. Seriously, if you are not maxing out Venom Spit and stacking +speed items, then you should go play an easier demigod, like rook or regulus.

Here is how the game transpires:

Starting off, buy the anklets for +speed, then buy the first helm for +mana and two teleport scrolls. Then port to the farthest tower and go cap a flag. Sooner or later an enemy DG will come. Spit on them. Since they're level 1, at this point they'll probably turn tail and run. Let them run. Kill the creeps. You'll be level 2. Put that point into inner beast for more +speed.

Do this until you hit level 4. It will be pretty easy. Spit on a demigod WHENEVER you see one, but don't chase them too far. If they come to you, just run and then spit again if they are still following by the time the cooldown is up. They WILL run now, because they're almost out of hp. Try to catch them, but again, no sweat. Your main goal here is to harass the hell out of them and not let them gain any exp from creep kills while you do. Make them avoid you.

At this point, if you have been doing it right, and they are not really really good (in my experience 90% of players aren't), then you'll be level 4 and they'll be level 2 or 3. This actually gives you a massive advantage because at level 4 you get the second rank of spit, which is a HUGE upgrade. Now teleport back to base, buy the 10% speed boots, and go back to the lane. Now you're VERY fast. Not only that, your spit hurts a lot. Two spits should get a demigod down to 25%.

What you do: let them push all the way to your towers, then run in, spit on them, and start chasing them. You'll be faster, and you'll be hitting them while they run. When they reach their towers, instead of running in with them, spit again and go back to your lane. The DoT will kill them (it does about 85% of the time, unless they heal themselves, or shield if they're oak (but that's rare because they've already used shield most likely)).

Get the corpose explosion skill (forget what it's called) at level 5. Continue to kill creeps (will be much easier now, you'll be killing 4-5 at a time).

At this point you'll probably be level 6 or so. Keep going for inner beast, and put the other point into either +stats, or foul grasp if you prefer a more aggressive style. I like foul grasp because of the interrupt, obviously, but +stats allows you to be a better killing machine.

I would say that about 75% of the time, one or both of the enemy demigods have quit by the time I hit level 10. This is either because I kill them too many times, or they realize they are not leveling fast enough to keep up. If they haven't quit, then they will soon because I already have mageslayer.

--

The most common mistake by far is to go for weapon damage right off the bat. This is wrong because UB has low armor and health, so while you'll dish out damage, you'll also take a lot of damage. And if you're not fast enough, you'll die.

Second most common mistake is to use spit only occasionally. I use it every chance I get, either on enemy demigods or on structures. It's actually fantastic for taking down towers because you do at least 1k dmg and you get hit only once if you're quick enough. But anyway, either get heart of life (my choice), or enough +mana items so that your mana is always full. Spit on enemy demigods as much as you can. Even if they don't die, they'll get low on health and play a lot less aggressively, which means you have more room for doing whatever you want to do.

Another common mistake is a lot of people get bestial wrath. It is a waste of a skill and not very good even when it seems like the time is right (i.e. right before a confrontation). It has a 1 second cast time, has a distinct sound and animation so most people will simply get out of melee range. By the time you catch them, you'll have only a few seconds left on it. I only put points into it in later levels when I've maxed out spit, inner beast, and stats.

Bottom line: play to your strengths. UB is all about speed and damage over time. Don't try to get too creative with it. You may have some success against noobs, but better players will kick your arse.

0 Karma | 59 Replies
May 12, 2009 6:02:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

you are aware that there is lots of stuff which just dispel the spit I hope

May 12, 2009 6:05:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

geuss i fail i like it more of spit and meele in your face UB

May 12, 2009 6:13:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

All wrong man. All wrong. Seriously, if you are not maxing out Venom Spit and stacking +speed items, then you should go play an easier demigod, like rook or regulus.

If there's only one way to play a specific DG, then that DG needs significant tweaking.  With only 8 DGs, we need more playstyles per DG to keep things interesting.  Yes, I do realize I just said almost all the DGs need significant tweaking .

I agree that a spit centered playstyle is the only viable ones for UB right now, but there's no way to find that out unless we experiment.

May 12, 2009 7:03:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And then you lose hard core to an equal level erebus who has level 1 mist form. Dispel spit for about 200 mana.  The cost stays the same, your spit, however, gets more expensive.  Good Game, my friend, good game.

May 12, 2009 7:07:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Agree with the OP, spit and run is currently the most effective (ie: best) UB strat.

I agree that a spit centered playstyle is the only viable ones for UB right now, but there's no way to find that out unless we experiment.

Experimentation is necessary, but without some changes dev-side I don't think any comparably effective early-game builds are likely to be discovered.

May 12, 2009 7:20:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

the other way you'd imagine you ought to be able to play Beast would be a lane pushing build based on Ooze to take down creeps and Bestial Wrath to bust up towers. 

in fact that build works, it just suffers immensely from total lack of DG killing power, which is a huge problem for a DG who's primary role in the game is harrassing and killing DGs. 

May 12, 2009 7:27:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zechnophobe,
And then you lose hard core to an equal level erebus who has level 1 mist form. Dispel spit for about 200 mana.  The cost stays the same, your spit, however, gets more expensive.  Good Game, my friend, good game.

Spit+Foul Grasp+Spit= GG

May 12, 2009 7:32:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Foul Grasp is a close range ability, you are assuming Erebus can't mist in the middle, before you get close?  Heck, as soon as the beast lines up the spit, you can just mash 2, and basically take no damage.  And even in your normally plausible scenario above, Erebus does get a bite off, and then can easily mist out of the second spit.

May 12, 2009 7:38:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zechnophobe,
Foul Grasp is a close range ability, you are assuming Erebus can't mist in the middle, before you get close?  Heck, as soon as the beast lines up the spit, you can just mash 2, and basically take no damage.  And even in your normally plausible scenario above, Erebus does get a bite off, and then can easily mist out of the second spit.

I just stand out of mist until Erebus is forced to dispel it, spit, then use foul grasp to stop him from using mist or bite again while he also takes DoT from spit. Then I melee him to death. By the time he gets a chance to use bite his health is usually to far gone for it to help. Maybe I'm playing with bad Erebus players, but this almost always works.

May 12, 2009 8:02:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, I don't want to walk too far down theorycraft lane, but spit has a cool down of 7 seconds, and you can de-mist after, iirc, 2 seconds.  Either way, you are talking about spitting 3 times (assuming you still intend to spit post-grasp) and grasping once. A lot goes on during combat, you can't just assume that a chain like that goes off without a hitch.  Does Erebus mass charm immediately after de-misting.  He'll have time, unless you try to negate it with grasp.  Is he doing more damage?  Can he bat-away when in trouble?

The only real thing that is pretty darn consistent about the scenario, is that going into mist form right after getting spit on, is a very efficient way of negating the damage.

May 12, 2009 8:10:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think rank 1 and maybe rank 2 of spit could do with a higher mana cost, since what he has described has been the best way to play UB in my experience too.

May 12, 2009 8:51:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like playing Shield QoT and I lulz at venom spit. And Sedna lulz too. And Erebus too. Even Tower-Transfer Rook lulz. Oh yes, Oak turns silver and lulz too.

So I think before claiming stuff like "this is the only way bla bla bla" you should get more experience, because your current total of 12 games played with 7 losses doesn't really speak for you. I'm personnaly thinking you spent more time writing your post than you actually played the game

I would say that about 75% of the time, one or both of the enemy demigods have quit by the time I hit level 10. This is either because I kill them too many times, or they realize they are not leveling fast enough to keep up. If they haven't quit, then they will soon because I already have mageslayer.

I learned something here, I didn't know the AI could rage quit.

May 12, 2009 9:51:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Respectably, I disagree with your assumption that Unclean beast has only one way to play. Mind you that I agree the first 2 levels of spit are powerful, but ignoring your hp and armor mid game will get you (and anyone else taking this advice) killed extremely fast, especially when stuns enter the game. Posting that ooze is a bad choice is additionally ludicrous as mathematically it is one of the most sound skill investments in the game.

Let me back that up though:

Let's say you are fighting a demigod (and for reasons that you posted, both ignore armor/damage in favor of mana and speed). Let's say your enemy is level 10 and you are level 11 (assuming what you said was true in =all= cases) . Both of you possess the heart of life (meaning trying to continually harass the other charater won't meet with a great deal of success) and a fight to the finish is necessary to determine the winner (or holder of that flag). We'll say that one beast takes ooze + spit, and you take attributes+spit. All other items are equal (focus on mana and speed).

Spit 3 + Ooze 4 Level 10
Armor 23.4%
Auto DPS: 197
 Apply Armor: 145
Health: 2765
Mana: Assumed infinite
Spit: 1150/7 Add DPS: 164
Ooze: Add DPS: 140
Total DPS: 449

Spit 4 + Attributes 4 Level 11
Armor: 26.4%
Auto DPS: 237
 Apply Armor: 182
 Apply Ooze (Speed): 109
 Apply Ooze (Dmg): 159
Health: 3360
Mana: Assumed infinite
Spit 1500/7 Add DPS: 214
Total DPS: 373

Ooze Beast Time to Die: 2765/368 7.41 Seconds
Attrib Beast Time to Die: 3225/450 7.48 Seconds

Attributes Beast in this case does indeed win, but by a margin small enough that the fight could go either way based on auto attack damage. This is despite having a lower level, and by all accounts, seems pretty even to me, and enough evidence to defunk the claim that UB only has one way to play. Additionally when you consider how long the combat actually lasts (less than 3 spits), including even scale mail into the item set, instead of mana, would turn the combat completely the other way for either character and would not prevent spit from being used liberally once the heart is obtained. In short: Your strategy is sound, but don't try to claim that anyone else playing differently doesn't know how to play.

May 12, 2009 10:04:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A UB without Spit is a weak beast indeed. Take the venom out of a cobra and what do you get? A belt.

Or in UB's case, an exploding pincushion.

May 12, 2009 10:35:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Spit isn't the only way to play UB. Everyone seems to think it is, so I decided to find a build to prove that wrong. And I did. 

The build isn't anywhere near as good as spit against enemy DGs, but it is 10x better against towers. By level 10-15 (depends on gold) you'll be able to take out several towers in a row, solo.

What's the build? It's a mix of +hps, +hp and life leech. Add in beastial wrath and you get 450+ dps at about level 10, as well as 20% life leech once you have mageslayer. You also have about +80hps and 5000k hp with 2500 armour (all this around level 10-15). Most DGs won't even be able to dint your massive HP and regen. The ones that can won't survive your high DPS. If they run away, you just ruin their towers. 

UB doesn't need spit. It's just really powerful. :/

May 12, 2009 11:04:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As sarcastic as the op sounds, I love to play my UB this way. I go for speed and HP, then MP, armor and weapon damage. Either way most of the time people are running from me while I am running at them. I don't buy the swiift anklet tho.

May 13, 2009 3:37:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have had plenty of good times playing as Ooze UB. Depending on the mood I take the 15% run speed and sometimes I take Magical Coin Purse. Typically the game starts off just the way you mentioned. Mostly just spit and harass. Most people don't get that the first level spit only does 450 hp damage over what... 10 seconds? I don't know why everyone runs. Ub is not strong enough to last in combat at the beggining of the game. But whatever so everyone runs you harass blah blah blah. Moving on up till lvl 5. At this point you should have lvl 2 spit? 3? something like that can't remember and then you have Ooze for the extra dot and decreased enemy run speed. The kicker at level 5 is undoubtably Foul Grasp. Most people at this point feel confident in there ability to take some damage and I find that this usually works for me:

See enemy press 3(ooze). Spit and start swinging. At this time the enemy has taken substantial damage. Usually they try to run or at this point port or some kind of something. and thats where the Foul grasp comes in. Another 2 seconds of Ooze and Spit DOT added from the Foul grasp typically puts most people in a panic and pretty much near death. At this point you just spit again and forget.

I have had alot of success lately with this build and it seems to work pretty well for me. I don't worry so much about the run speed because of the foul grasp. Although if I need it I usually pick up wand of speed to compliment 10% boots. The key item for me in this build though is definitly Normaths Ring. 20hp per second plus 8% life drain makes it all nice. From then on its spit ooze stat and sometimes Inner Beast.

Anyway this is just what works for me and I apologise for the messyness of the post but its like 336am here so... anyway like I said this has been working really well for me.

May 13, 2009 3:48:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I disagree with only being spit and run.

Combining spit and run with the Oooooze goodness can have you easily top the charts in damage especially if you add in the plague too..

May 13, 2009 5:12:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Lugh,

Combining spit and run with the Oooooze goodness can have you easily top the charts in damage especially if you add in the plague too..

Nothing to add to this, since you are right.

Corpse explosion at 5, ooze as soon as you have anough regen or hol (most likely by 7  or 8).

K

May 13, 2009 5:26:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Erebus gains 300 health with bite. If he takes that at level 1, you spit and stand next to the creeps, you'll ultimately lose 300 life for his 150. If you harass and run, then maybe you've got a bit of an advantage. Right up until the first point in mist, in which case all hope is lost.

May 13, 2009 5:46:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Lugh,

Of course you disagree. In a game that might last for a while, this build would be laughing stock.

Epic fail for trying to make "teh ultimate build".

Since there is no such thing as "the only correct way to play a DG".

May 13, 2009 6:04:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Surely there will be those who will make some one liner attempt to dismiss this tactic, but in even a less competent team this is an incredibly effective strategy.  I LOL at those who respond with their single player mindset of, "Oh, but I have THIS (insert whatever skill here) to make it USELESS!!!111!!."  Thats not the point.  In a team game with 3 or 4 other players this tactic is devastating and shows how to play the UB very effectively.  Odds are, you will not have (whatever skill you mentioned earlier) ready to go as fast as you can be spit on.  Especially if you were busy fending off any one of a number of other DGs.   So dismiss at your own peril.  You will be one of those folks screaming that UB is imba soon enough.

Granted, this is not the ONLY way to play the UB by far and the OP undermines his case by making that statement.   But the strategy and tactics he outlines definitely plays to all the UB strengths and is extremely effective.  Especially when paired up with almost any other DG.

May 13, 2009 8:14:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think it heavily depend on match up.

There are nothing set in stone once 2 strategies collide.

If every UB rely too heavily on spit, UB will soon fall off the metagame as everyone got a counter for it. Then UB will be forced to change anyway.

May 13, 2009 10:05:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, sure, come at my Oak with Venom Spit and only speed items and let me have an extremly good laugh when you are dead and I'm still at 50%+ HP.

Your build must depend on what your opponent is doing and be prepared. If you always do the same thing, you'll get countered VERY badly and scream for nerfing once that happens.

If I see a Spit happy UB, it's max HPs/regen and dispell items extravagenza and all your speed will do is allow you to waste less time going back to your crystal.

May 13, 2009 10:44:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ramza, ready for a 3vs3?

Signature: your favourite host.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000625   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.